Sign in to follow this  
curious yellow

Cash in/ Hold on

Back in 1992, Daryl Sutch looked a great prospect. He scored the winning goal v Villa in one of my favourite ever games which put us I think 8 points clear at the top of the Prem. 

He was well regarded in the media and Blackburn made a large bid which we refused. Shame really because his career went downhill after that season. 

Keith O'Neill was another one we held on to who never reached the heights that we expected. 

Chris Llewellyn and Ian Henderson were both prolific scorers in their younger years but both were converted to wingers. 

Contrast these to James Maddison, one good season and we sold him, helped pay off the debt and immediately won promotion. A similar thing with the Murphys

If you don't cash in when you can, things can sometimes go wrong. Just saying. 

But if we cashed in on all our young assets, who creates the goals next season. Maddison was one player, we can't sell off 5-6 all at once. I think we'll cash in on 1-3 total.

I think a big issue will be how much a player wants to leave, we can of course stop them, but that never seems to end well

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

But if we cashed in on all our young assets, who creates the goals next season. Maddison was one player, we can't sell off 5-6 all at once. I think we'll cash in on 1-3 total.

We also sold Josh Murphy in that window and Pritchard the window before that. 

There were a lot of 'who is going to score the goals' posts that summer as I think Maddison and Murphy had scored or assisted about 80% of Norwich's goals or something ridiculous like that. 

There is a risk associated with selling, but also one with not selling as the poster points out. 

there is also the need to believe all thiose 'bids' were genuine and not just paper talk

49 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There were a lot of 'who is going to score the goals' posts that summer as I think Maddison and Murphy had scored or assisted about 80% of Norwich's goals or something ridiculous like that. 

There is a risk associated with selling, but also one with not selling as the poster points out. 

Totally agree, just think there are major risks in selling most or all of them.

54 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

I think a big issue will be how much a player wants to leave, we can of course stop them, but that never seems to end well

Absolutely this.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

While that's true, constant evolution comes with great risk.  The way the club are going about things is similar to how they did things when I was younger, polishing hidden gems, selling them on for profit and trying to repeat the process.  It only takes for it to go wrong once and you are in trouble though.  That risk increases the more you sell in one go.  You sell a Mike Phelan, get an Andy Townsend, sell him , get a Tim Sherwood and on until you get a Mike Milligan 😂

Also if we sold all the young players  Arrons lewIs cantwell Godfrey plus Pukki 

what are we going to do with the money ? 

say for the 5 we got between 80 / 100 million we would have to spend it or it will be a big tax bill 

one way is upgrade ground / build a stand / upgrade anything else at training ground 

any shortfall in attending games and virus etc 

That still might leave 40/50 million Norwich are never going to spend that on players 

better to sell one or two off at a time 

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Also if we sold all the young players  Arrons lewIs cantwell Godfrey plus Pukki 

what are we going to do with the money ? 

say for the 5 we got between 80 / 100 million we would have to spend it or it will be a big tax bill 

one way is upgrade ground / build a stand / upgrade anything else at training ground 

any shortfall in attending games and virus etc 

That still might leave 40/50 million Norwich are never going to spend that on players 

better to sell one or two off at a time 

It's not just that either is it?  When clubs see you have money, they will jack up the price of any players you may want

• Like 2

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Back in 1992, Daryl Sutch looked a great prospect. He scored the winning goal v Villa in one of my favourite ever games which put us I think 8 points clear at the top of the Prem. 

He was well regarded in the media and Blackburn made a large bid which we refused. Shame really because his career went downhill after that season. 

Keith O'Neill was another one we held on to who never reached the heights that we expected. 

Chris Llewellyn and Ian Henderson were both prolific scorers in their younger years but both were converted to wingers. 

Contrast these to James Maddison, one good season and we sold him, helped pay off the debt and immediately won promotion. A similar thing with the Murphys

If you don't cash in when you can, things can sometimes go wrong. Just saying. 

Yeah there are times when a player has their most interest and most of the time you should cash in.

Nelson oliveira is a fine example, grabban is another. We got £ for grabban but he had been in and around the squad and something was wrong.

I agree selling the Murphy's at a time when they have proved that they were big fish in a small pond was perfect. It is a business you create the player so we can get the vest but sometimes a player needs to move for the greater good or you can build a team around them.

Aarons has byram in the wings, lewis has McCallum in ths wings. Both very able to step up and therefore we can move on if it fits the player but also us. We do not want to lose out on value if a good offer comes in, we have the replacements here.

Godfrey will move on at some point, his agents seem very aggressive in the futures of their clients. But he also may develop alongside our defensive line that may actually get older If Aaron's and Lewis moved on and we brought in an older player.

But then you have Pukki, whose worth is more. He has found a fan group that will give him time, he has played his best football here, the attacking team can put him in positions to score. You can build around him. The fast players who have been added can help support him and if emi is the cog in the middle then off we go.

So there are def right times to sell and if you miss that it can be a problem. But hoping we get the balance right because although pukki has had his best career moments here, he is essential in the spine and what we are building here.

You're believing paper talk. 

You're also forgetting the players you're talking about played 15 - 20 years ago. 

Times and the football market have changed. 

Edited by Jerrykerry

Any new team needs time to gel.    We sell more than 2 of our better players and we can pretty much say bye bye to promotion via the top two.  

Think the club will play hardball this time.    Not sure any players will necessarily force a move anyway.    They certainly wont sell unless the offers are substantial otherwise there is no point in selling and it goes against what's being said.    We gave these lads the opportunity and yes. they do owe us!     

Quite clear that we do things differently to any other club as the 5 recent signings demonstrates... what other club are seeking out the best young talent?     So when fans argue that if the players wants to go, we will let them, very much doubt that... think we will baulk that trend.  

Absolutely no science to the OP's suggestions which are very random and not really comparable.   None of those had the talent Maddison has.    

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's certainly true, which is probably why we seem to be buying before we sell.

Yeah, Dowell very much seems to be a preemptive replacement for Cantwell or Buendia.

If they don't want to stay, that is probably the main issue and main reason behind us selling them, going by what Webber has said about us not needing to sell, and the good work he did last summer in getting them all to sign long term contracts.

So, I guess it's unless they really wish to go (and look at the Murphy's, and countless others, it doesn't always work out) they we neednt sell. Couple that with the fact I can't see anyone offering what we have thought they should be worth pre lockdown.

Personally I'd make them all stay an extra year, gives chance for them to mend their own reputations, as well as give the market time to get back upto pre lockdown levels.

As with respect, Ake has just gone for 40m, Godfrey isn't as good or experienced as Ake so you'd say 30m would be the most we can get for Godfrey. But last year (aside from rumours that Ake had a 60m pricetag and that's paper talk) last year wan bisaka went for 50m after one good year so. I know it's not a perfect match up, but surely we are in agreement that pre lockdown prices, 25 to 30 million for any of our stars would be on cheaper side of what the market was trending?

Here you go,

2 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

If they don't want to stay, that is probably the main issue and main reason behind us selling them, going by what Webber has said about us not needing to sell, and the good work he did last summer in getting them all to sign long term contracts.

So, I guess it's unless they really wish to go (and look at the Murphy's, and countless others, it doesn't always work out) they we neednt sell. Couple that with the fact I can't see anyone offering what we have thought they should be worth pre lockdown.

Personally I'd make them all stay an extra year, gives chance for them to mend their own reputations, as well as give the market time to get back upto pre lockdown levels.

As with respect, Ake has just gone for 40m, Godfrey isn't as good or experienced as Ake so you'd say 30m would be the most we can get for Godfrey. But last year (aside from rumours that Ake had a 60m pricetag and that's paper talk) last year wan bisaka went for 50m after one good year so. I know it's not a perfect match up, but surely we are in agreement that pre lockdown prices, 25 to 30 million for any of our stars would be on cheaper side of what the market was trending?

Here you go, Adam Webster moved to Brighton last year for £20million. After a decent season with a half decent Bristol city team. Godfrey surely is worth more than that, and is younger. So pre lock down, we would all agree he is worth a fair bit more than that. £40m maybe wouldn't be out of realms of possibility considering the market then. If we don't need to sell now, then we should try avoid at all costs, rather than sell in this smaller market.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

Yeah, Dowell very much seems to be a preemptive replacement for Cantwell or Buendia.

.... or the preemptive replacements for Vrancic, Stiepermann, Duda, Rupp and Leitner.   Lets hope that's what the club are working on!   

Who remembers the era when we had nobody to cash in, just a team of journeymen and loanees? From the dark days of Doomcaster through to now, yes, last season was disappointing, but wow look how far we've come in terms of assets and growth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, curious yellow said:

He was well regarded in the media and Blackburn made a large bid which we refused. 

Blackburn made a large bid for Sutch? 

I really hope we keep Emi and Aarons, the others I would not be too upset at losing... Good to see Farke asking for experienced heads to go with the potential we have signed. Been sorely missing.

I made this point on FTW’s contracts thread - Cantwell has the shortest contract of the “youngsters” (including here the three defenders, Buendia and Cantwell). Cantwell’s expires summer 2022 I believe whilst the others are summer 23 or later. 

If Cantwell has a great season this upcoming season, next summer we’re in a position where he has one year left on his contract and our negotiating position is hindered as we can’t risk him leaving on a free 12 months later. If he has a bad season, his price is much lower than we can get for him now. So from a purely financial point of view, it makes sense to cash in on Cantwell now imo (unless we get him to sign up to a extension this summer).

Let’s just look to see where we’ve strengthened and it would suggest the Buendia, Aaron’s, Cantwell and Lewis are all pretty well covered. So could see three from those going.

I think we’ll see lots of midfielders go if clubs can be found.

if we can keep them happy and motivated, I'd just keep them all unless daft money comes in. If Covid is making the fees go down for now then sod it, would rather wait a year.

Godfrey is worth nothing like £50m even in a covid free market but I can see the logic in setting his price at that.

We have seemingly replaced Lewis but the rest look like they'd be more valuable to us than some reduced fee.

People seem to think Godfrey is going to be sold, but I can't see that (which means he probably will be...), but to me he still needs to develop his game - and this season has been difficult for him, not only because of it being the PL, but the fact he hasn't had a regular partner - and had to play when he was injured too.  His partnership with Zimbo is the best one for him, which we didn't see enough of, but there were signs he was developing a good rapport with Hanley as the season progressed - but he would benefit greatly imo from another season with us.  Still only 22, time to carry on learning his trade as a CB.

Would like Aarons and Lewis to stay too and if we are to sell players, would rather sell on Buendia and Cantwell, especially with the amount of midfielders we have now.  

Buendia is the one we really push the boat out to keep, he's the player who will be the main creator. Dowell is a replacement for Cantwell.

We can't sell them all as we will be clobbered for tax.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

would rather sell on Buendia and Cantwell, especially because of Cantwell’s silly hair

😉