Jump to content
WD40

Saudi money looking for a new home?

Recommended Posts

Always an odd one this wasn’t it , Mike Ashley should have gone down the stinking rich Chinese owner route instead 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are there any arms manufacturers in Norwich?

 No, but I’m sure the lot down the road wouldn’t mind renaming their club Nipswich if necessary. They’d even revert to their original black and white stripes too if that would help. 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are there any arms manufacturers in Norwich?

No, but there is a facilitator of arms selling seminars, who owns Ipswich Town, not too far away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

97% of Newcastle fans disappointed the sale has not gone through. 

I'm not bothered who our owners are as long as they are not Chinese.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Indy said:

I don’t care who owns the club, it has no bearing on me or you. I agree with your principal and certainly question if they should ever be regarded as fit to own any club, but my question still stands.

If in five years Norwich were in the champions league playing Barcelona I do wonder if everyone on principle wouldn’t attend.

Pouring money into a football club is no guarantee of success.

And yes, if people like that owned the Club i would seriously conisder whether i wanted to follow football anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much virtue signalling. Of course most of our fans would love it if we became the richest club in the country and were challenging at the upper end of the premier league. Years and years of the “evil foreign owners” mantra realky has left its mark on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

So much virtue signalling. Of course most of our fans would love it if we became the richest club in the country and were challenging at the upper end of the premier league. Years and years of the “evil foreign owners” mantra realky has left its mark on here. 

Have you not read ANYTHING about these Saudi owners?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Delia doesn’t like camels.

Although Hubby MWJ likes Capstan full strength....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Have you not read ANYTHING about these Saudi owners?

Yes. Do you think any of these stinking rich foreign owners are squeaky clean? Please enlighten me as to why they are any worse than various others? They are a sovereign/private investment fund at the end of the day as I understand it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Are there any arms manufacturers in Norwich?

Boulton and Paul made military aircraft.....are they Norwich enough?.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. Do you think any of these stinking rich foreign owners are squeaky clean? Please enlighten me as to why they are any worse than various others? They are a sovereign/private investment fund at the end of the day as I understand it. 

Ah, so to confirm you're definitely in the camp of "any money is good money" for our club? Regardless of risk to the club itself etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hogesar said:

Ah, so to confirm you're definitely in the camp of "any money is good money" for our club? Regardless of risk to the club itself etc etc.

Not absolutely any money no, but a sovereign investment fund of a major state is hardly a Colombian drugs baron is it? Why would it risk the future of the club? Would it risk it more than having owners who don’t have any cash and couldn’t sustain the club without player sales if we stay down more than two seasons?

 

Do you know anything about how these Arab groups do business and the importance reputation has to them? I’ve come across them in the property world and generally they are mortified at any embarrassment or scandal. That’s probably why they’ve pulled out of the Newcastle bid after all the media hype. 

would you object if Abramovich wanted to buy us? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Smith said:

Not absolutely any money no, but a sovereign investment fund of a major state is hardly a Colombian drugs baron is it? Why would it risk the future of the club? Would it risk it more than having owners who don’t have any cash and couldn’t sustain the club without player sales if we stay down more than two seasons?

 

Do you know anything about how these Arab groups do business and the importance reputation has to them? I’ve come across them in the property world and generally they are mortified at any embarrassment or scandal. That’s probably why they’ve pulled out of the Newcastle bid after all the media hype. 

would you object if Abramovich wanted to buy us? 

I would say having an ownership who have little concern for human rights and have commited piracy is more of a risk. I wouldn't see them as the sort of people who, should the going get tough, would stick with our club. I could see them pulling out and leaving us to pick up the pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Although Hubby MWJ likes Capstan full strength....

I admire them both for having a few vices, they’d probably throw a good party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Being bought by the Saudis or any CCP backed businessperson would certainly make me consider my support for the club. 

I will always be a Norwich fan, but I personally would not be buying any merch/tickets if we were bankrolled to the big-time by human rights abusers. 

Edited by HertsCanary93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can keep their filthy money. They are all corrupt and we don't need people like them associated with our club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure the reason the Saudi deal was stalled for so long was because of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53592345

The Premier League sold the rights to show Premier League games in the Middle East belong to Qatar-based beIN Sports, who are in the middle of a three-year deal worth £400m. Saudi Arabia is accused of pirating them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I admire them both for having a few vices, they’d probably throw a good party. 

Good party?....Unfortunately not at this moment in time....Although I'm sure they'll certainly make up for it if and when normality returns to this Mother Earth....If by some miracle life does return to any sort of normality, Delia an' Micky's bash will be akin to a Queen's Garden Party. There will be some on here who will be up at the crack o' kn@ckers every morning waiting excitedly by their front doors eagerly awaiting their local postie's arrival....In the continually sad, disappointing, dwindling and vain hope that a personal invite to Delia's 'Do' will land on their hallway mat....."Oh well" say the disappointed on here....."Maybe just maybe it'll be next time?.....I've been overlooked again but I gotta keep going"....."I've even sent her a personal letter and said that I passionately supported Labour and I voted remain, oh and that I religiously voted for Ed Balls to win on 'Strictly' and agreed that the Championship is where we truly belong....and I've also purchased all of her cookery books"...."I must try harder, there must be something else I can do?"......"I mean that impoverished young lad on Willie Wonka got lucky, so I just gotta persist."....     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

So much virtue signalling. Of course most of our fans would love it if we became the richest club in the country and were challenging at the upper end of the premier league. Years and years of the “evil foreign owners” mantra realky has left its mark on here. 

This "virtue signalling" accusation you see all the time really pees me off.

 

It seems to go something like:

 

"I support worthy causes

You are virtue signalling

He is a snowflake"

 

What are NHS flags, Help for Heroes or 'I slow down for horses' stickers in car windows and remembrance poppies if not virtue signalling? Anyone using the phrase needs to get a bit of perspective.

 

Rant over, for now.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Good party?....Unfortunately not at this moment in time....Although I'm sure they'll certainly make up for it if and when normality returns to this Mother Earth....If by some miracle life does return to any sort of normality, Delia an' Micky's bash will be akin to a Queen's Garden Party. There will be some on here who will be up at the crack o' kn@ckers every morning waiting excitedly by their front doors eagerly awaiting their local postie's arrival....In the continually sad, disappointing, dwindling and vain hope that a personal invite to Delia's 'Do' will land on their hallway mat....."Oh well" say the disappointed on here....."Maybe just maybe it'll be next time?.....I've been overlooked again but I gotta keep going"....."I've even sent her a personal letter and said that I passionately supported Labour and I voted remain, oh and that I religiously voted for Ed Balls to win on 'Strictly' and agreed that the Championship is where we truly belong....and I've also purchased all of her cookery books"...."I must try harder, there must be something else I can do?"......"I mean that impoverished young lad on Willie Wonka got lucky, so I just gotta persist."....     

There would definitely be a mad scramble of offers to replenish Delia’s glass when empty and light the old boy up again. Today would have so perfect weather wise if the world hadn’t gone crazy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Pretty sure the reason the Saudi deal was stalled for so long was because of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53592345

The Premier League sold the rights to show Premier League games in the Middle East belong to Qatar-based beIN Sports, who are in the middle of a three-year deal worth £400m. Saudi Arabia is accused of pirating them.

Well as I understand it Saudi Arabia is accused of not doing enough to prevent piracy in Saudi Arabia after a Saudi broadcaster continued showing coverage after Saudi Arabia banned Bein Sports due to the political issues with Qatar.

Ultimately though this deal involved backing from the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Saudi Arabia (plus a British property fund as well).

Man City are owned by similar state backed companies from Abu Dhabi and also in part Chinese state back enterprises. Is that any better from a human rights perspective?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This "virtue signalling" accusation you see all the time really pees me off.

 

It seems to go something like:

 

"I support worthy causes

You are virtue signalling

He is a snowflake"

 

What are NHS flags, Help for Heroes or 'I slow down for horses' stickers in car windows and remembrance poppies if not virtue signalling? Anyone using the phrase needs to get a bit of perspective.

 

Rant over, for now.

 

I'm not talking about that, i'm talking about so called "fans" saying they would no longer support our club or watch football if we were bought by a mega rich Saudi backed consortium. I support the football club not the owners. Somewhere along the line at Norwich it seems the two have become unhealthily blurred.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive supported Norwich since 1986 and i would not like the idea of our team being owned by people who are carrying out atrocities and murdering journalists.  There would be nothing to celebrate in that for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well as I understand it Saudi Arabia is accused of not doing enough to prevent piracy in Saudi Arabia after a Saudi broadcaster continued showing coverage after Saudi Arabia banned Bein Sports due to the political issues with Qatar.

Ultimately though this deal involved backing from the Sovereign Wealth Fund of Saudi Arabia (plus a British property fund as well).

Man City are owned by similar state backed companies from Abu Dhabi and also in part Chinese state back enterprises. Is that any better from a human rights perspective?

I wouldn't want Man City's owners either.

Part of what makes Norwich so special to me isn't just it is the team my family have supported and is part of my upbringing but it is also how the club has always had strong connections to the local area. You can say you support the team and not the owners, but the two are intrinsically linked. There are many Man City fans who have walked away from their club since the take over as they feel it is a totally different club now in all but name.

The Saudi wealth fund is the Saudi regime, the two are the same thing, you can't disassociate one from the other. I would be devastated if Norwich City, the club I love and support, became part of such a despicable regime's 'sports washing' campaign and a tool for them to try and legitimise themselves. 

Luckily it seems that the Premier League were set to reject the takeover bid, so I doubt the Saudi's will ever get their hands on an English club.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This "virtue signalling" accusation you see all the time really pees me off.

 

It seems to go something like:

 

"I support worthy causes

You are virtue signalling

He is a snowflake"

 

What are NHS flags, Help for Heroes or 'I slow down for horses' stickers in car windows and remembrance poppies if not virtue signalling? Anyone using the phrase needs to get a bit of perspective.

 

Rant over, for now.

 

Good rant.

It's a nonsense statement. I don't want a extremely repressive, regressive, murderous, terrorism funding, journalist butchering regime anywhere near the club. It's not virtue signalling it's about a sense of morals and humanity. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I wouldn't want Man City's owners either.

Part of what makes Norwich so special to me isn't just it is the team my family have supported and is part of my upbringing but it is also how the club has always had strong connections to the local area. You can say you support the team and not the owners, but the two are intrinsically linked. There are many Man City fans who have walked away from their club since the take over as they feel it is a totally different club now in all but name.

The Saudi wealth fund is the Saudi regime, the two are the same thing, you can't disassociate one from the other. I would be devastated if Norwich City, the club I love and support, became part of such a despicable regime's 'sports washing' campaign and a tool for them to try and legitimise themselves. 

Luckily it seems that the Premier League were set to reject the takeover bid, so I doubt the Saudi's will ever get their hands on an English club.  

 

Yes Man City fans said that as well, until they turned up and now they get to put trophies in the cabinet most years that has all been forgotten about. 

For me football has always been about winning things.  Sorry but I'm not really bothered about all the "community" side projects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just comes down to that age old argument.

Do you support the club because it's embedded in you regardless of results?

Or

Do you support the club because you want them in the Premier League so you can watch it play big clubs and maybe dream about one day becoming one of those big clubs?

If it's the latter, journalist-butchering scumbags owning the club and pouring cash into the playing squad is not only fine, but something to actively seek. For the former, the prospect is abhorrent.

For the record, the prospect is abhorrent.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...