WD40

Saudi money looking for a new home?

I'm with Jimbo. If money is your motivator then why does it matter where it comes from. The binners don't mind where theirs comes from. They happily wave bank notes at us while chanting we'll never play you again. They are quite happy being Marcus Evans Football Club. 

If you truly think we need to go down that road then you just have to pray we become one of the few who do better rather than one of the many who don't.

1 hour ago, Ren said:

Wouldn't it be amazing, to actually build properly around the team that we had last year and really push on, that's the type of adventure Id like instead of 1 step forward and then 2 back, with the hope we might get to go forward again.  

I'm sure we would all like to see that but it's out of the clubs control whether they get to build on what we have to some extent. If anyone of our prize assets wants to leave, they will.  For example, I like Buendia, we didn't win a Championship game without him last time we were there but if he digs his heels in about wanting to go, the club will have to sell him.  It's that or have an unhappy player not performing.  You will no success with players who don't want to be here any longer.

Edited by seanthecanary

2 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Did you fall into a thesaurus and a book of poetry when writing this? What a load of pretentious tripe. 

No actually, but thanks for asking, and regarding 'Thesaurus'?  I don't believe there's any Jurassic beasts still in existence.....Pretentious?....I do admit oil have to luck that one up in the dicshnuaree....? Tripe's what my Uncle Bert used to eat on a Saturday afternoon with lashings of vinegar, salt and pepper....

6 hours ago, HertsCanary93 said:

Being bought by the Saudis or any CCP backed businessperson would certainly make me consider my support for the club. 

I will always be a Norwich fan, but I personally would not be buying any merch/tickets if we were bankrolled to the big-time by human rights abusers. 

Good on you.....

2 hours ago, Canarywary said:

This is a very confusing post. Firstly, you consistently put faux-outrage in inverted commas, suggesting you're mocking the concept of faux-outrage? Or are you accusing others of faux-outrage?

Secondly, in your final line you seem to mock people who accuse others of virtue signalling (again, in inverted commas)? Are you mocking virtue signallers, or the people who accuse others of virtue signalling?

Either way, saying people are hypocrites for criticising the Saudi regime whilst also driving cars and using plastic is pretty daft. Sorry.

You're entitled to your opinion.....Do you wear wellies?....

We don't have a choice of owners so if Saudis took over then what else could you do? You could stop going but I bet all would still follow the club.

But I think the OP was really asking if we would like Saudi owners. And no I would want it. But couldn't prevent it. Did anyone really want Delia at the time? But that worked out OK.

If Saudis did buy her out then that might work out as well. But it isn't first preference for most it seems. 

For me, the means do not justify the ends.

I think I prompted the debate KG about who would still come if we were taken over by the Saudi consortium and in 5 years playing champions league football, who would not come anymore?

As I said it makes no odds to me who the owners are, be it Delia or another person fronting the consortium.

I do find it funny how some people think this is the only community club, sorry to burst some peoples bubble but I know a guy who’s a supplier and a Leicester season ticket holder, what their owners have done for that club and community shadows what we have, add to that a Liverpool and most clubs. I find it a little disrespectful to think we are the only community club...I think you’ll find most clubs are as connected as ours.

Edited by Indy

11 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

So much virtue signalling. Of course most of our fans would love it if we became the richest club in the country and were challenging at the upper end of the premier league. Years and years of the “evil foreign owners” mantra realky has left its mark on here. 

‘Virtue signalling’? Which anti-woke party cracker did that come out of, Jim? Truly pathetic. What was asked was a question of morality, so people answered based on their moral view, and all you can do is throw out an anti-enlightenment insult.

• Like 1

Community means different things to different people. For some, the football club having rich owners and those owners investing heavily in the club, city and people makes it a community club. For others, it’s only a community club if the owners are lifelong fans themselves and the fan base contributes to the running of the club by ways over and above merchandise and season ticket sales, for example by crowdfunding infrastructure and academy projects. It’s arrogant and churlish to assume “community club” means one or the other, for me the club is the heart of the community so what is good for the club in terms of success and money it brings in is good for the city. Every season in the EPL is meant to make a considerable difference to the local area in terms of tourism and financial investment, by getting relegated are we actually impacting the success of the city overall?

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Community means different things to different people. For some, the football club having rich owners and those owners investing heavily in the club, city and people makes it a community club. For others, it’s only a community club if the owners are lifelong fans themselves and the fan base contributes to the running of the club by ways over and above merchandise and season ticket sales, for example by crowdfunding infrastructure and academy projects. It’s arrogant and churlish to assume “community club” means one or the other, for me the club is the heart of the community so what is good for the club in terms of success and money it brings in is good for the city. Every season in the EPL is meant to make a considerable difference to the local area in terms of tourism and financial investment, by getting relegated are we actually impacting the success of the city overall?

So to sum it up your community club definitions are different to mine and different to Indy's.

Except I assume you don't see yourself as arrogant or churlish for having your definition.

Edited by nutty nigel

21 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So to sum it up your community club definitions are different to mine and different to Indy's.

Except I assume you don't see yourself as arrogant or churlish for having your definition.

I believe I said it’s arrogant or churlish to assume your/my/our definition of “community club” is the only one that’s valid. I think what the Leicester City owners have done for the club, the city and the community is really positive, and lots of Leicester fans would agree with that assessment. Do you disagree?

5 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

I'm sure we would all like to see that but it's out of the clubs control whether they get to build on what we have to some extent. If anyone of our prize assets wants to leave, they will.  For example, I like Buendia, we didn't win a Championship game without him last time we were there but if he digs his heels in about wanting to go, the club will have to sell him.  It's that or have an unhappy player not performing.  You will no success with players who don't want to be here any longer.

Wes knuckled down and got on with it after his Villa tantrum.

28 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I believe I said it’s arrogant or churlish to assume your/my/our definition of “community club” is the only one that’s valid. I think what the Leicester City owners have done for the club, the city and the community is really positive, and lots of Leicester fans would agree with that assessment. Do you disagree?

See here's the thing. I don't disagree with anyone staring their opinion. Therefore I have absolutely no problem with yours or your definition of a community club.

But just to be clear. Ultimately I'd like the club to be owned by the community. I don't know of your ultimate but for some it would seem to be for the club to be owned by the richest man in the world.

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

See here's the thing. I don't disagree with anyone staring their opinion. Therefore I have absolutely no problem with yours or your definition of a community club.

But just to be clear. Ultimately I'd like the club to be owned by the community. I don't know of your ultimate but for some it would seem to be for the club to be owned by the richest man in the world.

Norwich isn’t owned by the community! So what’s your point Nutty? You hoping Delia leaves the club to the fans? I believe you’ll find young Tom will gain control, how that will be is to be defined once it’s handed down! I wonder how resilient he will be if the Saudi’s come knocking with a big offer!

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Norwich isn’t owned by the community! So what’s your point Nutty? You hoping Delia leaves the club to the fans? I believe you’ll find young Tom will gain control, how that will be is to be defined once it’s handed down! I wonder how resilient he will be if the Saudi’s come knocking with a big offer!

What is it with you Indy.

I said ultimately I'd like the club to be owned by the community. Didn't mention Delia, Tom or even 'the fans'.

I seriously don't know why you get so angry about alternative views. Your welcome to folla the dolla and hopefully I'm welcome not to.

Just as you have carried on supporting and enjoying the success of the present owners I'm sure we'd both carry on and enjoy what any kind of new ownership gave us 

Edited by nutty nigel

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What is it with you Indy.

I said ultimately I'd like the club to be owned by the community. Didn't mention Delia, Tom or even 'the fans'.

I’m not having a go, no need to get upset, just that’s not likely to happen, unless all the season ticket holders club together to fund a buyout, how would a community run club agree on anything? It certainly would be interesting given the differences discussed on this message board a community run club. 🍻

That’s the thing Nutty, I’m not, I don’t want mega rich owners I want football to go bust, I want to go back to affordable wages, football being a spectator sport where players earn a decent wage but if they have to go onto other careers. I have said numerous times this current set up is a very good way to move forward to watch youth develop.

I just like to put the question out there.

Edited by Indy

Just now, Indy said:

I’m not having a go, no need to get upset, just that’s likely to happen, unless all the season ticket holders club together to fund a buyout, how would a community run club agree on anything? It certainly would be interesting given the differences discussed on this message board a community run club. 🍻

Well it's strange that whenever the club needed help the community was there for them. Lots of local businesses partner the club. 

As wundaboy says everyone can have their own version of community and mine isn't the things you constantly attribute to me and then argue against.

You'd give the wife's mother a run for her money...

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Well it's strange that whenever the club needed help the community was there for them. Lots of local businesses partner the club. 

As wundaboy says everyone can have their own version of community and mine isn't the things you constantly attribute to me and then argue against.

You'd give the wife's mother a run for her money...

But that’s not unique, Brighton, Oxford, Pompey all have fans groups and local businesses helped them in the past when needed!

We’ll certainly never agree with your very narrow view that Norwich has a better community feel and interaction, that’s very patronising to other clubs.

Norwich certainly have needed help and like most clubs have found a way out of tough times, but that’s certainly not unique to this club!

Anyhow as above it’s just a forum with opinions nothing will happen with any takeover here!👍

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

But that’s not unique, Brighton, Oxford, Pompey all have fans groups and local businesses helped them in the past when needed!

We’ll certainly never agree with your very narrow view that Norwich has a better community feel and interaction, that’s very patronising to other clubs.

Norwich certainly have needed help and like most clubs have found a way out of tough times, but that’s certainly not unique to this club!

Anyhow as above it’s just a forum with opinions nothing will happen with any takeover here!👍

Did I say it was unique?

You are the wife's mother!

I have no problem with your views or anyone elses views. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest you have narrow views. Especially if I attributed those views to you before branding them narrow.

8 hours ago, WD40 said:

Thankyou for highlighting the pertinent part, including “in the current state of football”. 

The football world is vastly, vastly different to 2011. I think I’m right in saying that for the premier league season just gone we are the only team without a billionaire owner. It’s extraordinary. It can’t be compared with 10 years ago.

And we certainly can’t be compared to Leicester 😂!

I wish I had a crystal ball to see what future seasons under Delia are like it’s just my opinion that we’ve seen the ceiling of our potential with her ownership, given what other teams are able to do. 

Yeah, I said 2013, not 2011. And we’ve been in the Premier League twice since then.

You have zero proof for your claims, you’re just picking individual events that suit your point of view. And not very accurately at that.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Did I say it was unique?

You are the wife's mother!

I have no problem with your views or anyone elses views. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest you have narrow views. Especially if I attributed those views to you before branding them narrow.

“That's because your community club and my community club definitions are different.

My community club definition is not what the community can get out of the club. It's a mutual two way thing. “

What you said and implied that my view of other clubs was what their supporters get out of their clubs, that’s what I alluded to, my response was based on that, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City put huge amounts back into their communities, if I misunderstood your point fair enough. 

Have a good evening Nutty. 🍻

21 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Yeah, I said 2013, not 2011. And we’ve been in the Premier League twice since then.

You have zero proof for your claims, you’re just picking individual events that suit your point of view. And not very accurately at that.

2011 being when we got promoted under Lambert, then we achieved a 12th place in the following season and 11th after that (in congested lower mid tables). The point stands, do you think the competition we faced in any of those seasons is comparable to the level of the premier league now? We have at best stayed at the same level financially as that time when everyone up there has accelerated. 

And, yes we’ve been in the Prem twice since then - relegated both times! What’s your point? You seem to be making mine for me 😂 Cheers 👍🏼

46 minutes ago, Indy said:

“That's because your community club and my community club definitions are different.

My community club definition is not what the community can get out of the club. It's a mutual two way thing. “

What you said and implied that my view of other clubs was what their supporters get out of their clubs, that’s what I alluded to, my response was based on that, Leicester, Liverpool, Man City put huge amounts back into their communities, if I misunderstood your point fair enough. 

Have a good evening Nutty. 🍻

Yes you misunderstood my point.

And it's because our views of what a community club is are different. Notice I said different. And different means not the same. And certainly not that one different view is better or worse than another different view.

My view of a community club is not just what the club can do for the community. It's equally what the community can do for the club.

8 hours ago, WD40 said:

2011 being when we got promoted under Lambert, then we achieved a 12th place in the following season and 11th after that (in congested lower mid tables). The point stands, do you think the competition we faced in any of those seasons is comparable to the level of the premier league now? We have at best stayed at the same level financially as that time when everyone up there has accelerated. 

And, yes we’ve been in the Prem twice since then - relegated both times! What’s your point? You seem to be making mine for me 😂 Cheers 👍🏼

My point is that saying rock bottom of the PL is "our ceiling" is tunnel vision at best, but actually more like catastrophising. There are lots of reasons, which I won't rehash again as I think/hope we know what they are, why the season just gone was an outlier. The plan (I'll avoid using the word project in case I trigger anyone) when we go up again is to be better supplied with academy players, and better resourced with the results of clearing historical debts, parachute payments and player sales, which will allow us to spend on players who can make a difference. Hopefully with a coach who's learnt a thing or two about playing in the Premier League as well. In this way, we can do better next time.

I do hear what you are saying about the PL being different now, even if you've bent your argument two years in your favour. I honestly don't know enough to say if that's true or not, but I would make the point that we're different too, we are a club that is strengthening our foundations as we go, not throwing all the cash we have in the pot, plus some more borrowed on tick, at just staying up. Personally I think that can only be a good thing, even if in the short term we have a season like this was.

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Wes knuckled down and got on with it after his Villa tantrum.

That's slightly different though isn't it? His tantrum as you put it was about playing. He wasn't seeking a big move, he wanted to play and he wasn't being picked at City. That situation resolved itself when he played more. It's very different to someone like Buendia wanting to play in a top league. The only way to fix that is to not be in the champs 

20 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

There are certain Man City fans who have found themselves not supporting the club anymore and drifting to other local teams like Oldham and Salford (although that is less common due to the Man U connections). 

Personally I hope that such a dilemma is never put upon Norwich fans. I don't want Norwich to be a global brand and more of a corporation than a football team. I love being a Norwich supporter as it feels like a 'real' thing. Big clubs like Man U, Man C etc. feel ethereal. I live in London, so if I see someone in a Norwich shirt I can say 'hi' and have a joke about the club - if I wear my shirt people feel they can say 'hi' to me, or shout 'on the ball City' as they pass by. That is what I mean about community.

You don't get that if you support a big team like Man City. There is no community as they are just another global brand with very little about them that is unique. I'd hate to have to feel less of a connection to my club as surely that is the most important thing in football. 

All glory is relative and I'd much rather win as the underdog than be the team who spend half a billion pounds and achieved a modicum of 'success'. 

This sums it up for me. I know through family connections that whole families lost interest in Man City once the big money came in and stopped season tickets and going to matches. To them there was something obscene about it and they had no wish to be part of it. Do they still have interest in the club? Of course, but no longer supporters. I know several Man City fans who instead attached themselves to their local clubs - Hyde Utd for one, so at least maybe some small clubs in the area benefited.

Norwich is as real a football club as you could find and that is something precious to hold on to. It's not measurable, you can't show any stats as to why it has something special, but it is pretty much unique in the top two divisions. Once you sell out a club like ours to an outside multi-millionare that club disappears.

Bethnal mentions connection to the club - and that is so important. It's something we all have (well most of us anyway) and once lost it is gone for good. I would call it the Norwich family. Families sometimes break up and they are almost impossible to put back together again so risking losing that to get big money is risky and anyway, family comes before money.

39 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

That's slightly different though isn't it? His tantrum as you put it was about playing. He wasn't seeking a big move, he wanted to play and he wasn't being picked at City. That situation resolved itself when he played more. It's very different to someone like Buendia wanting to play in a top league. The only way to fix that is to not be in the champs 

Not Really.His tantrum was exactly that, forget the reason, he wanted to leave ,we didnt let him, he got stroppy, calling us ' a shoite club' I believe. As it happened, it worked out ok for us...and him. I'm a Wes fan but I wont rewrite history just because he's one of the good guys. 

PS , only  Norwich fans think Villa arent a bigger Club....possibly bigger wages too.

I think its fair to say that an EFL/EPL team in the city/town is very important and has a real effect on the community including traders, transport etc.

So all are community clubs. Obviously where ours differs is in its intent. Ours wants to give something back whether it be the owners or supporters. We aren't unique of course but that doesn't matter. It doesn't detract from the efforts of those who do give something back.

Very much like junior clubs who are run by people who don't ask for anything back.