Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Lovely Bit Of Nostalgia.

Anyone remember "The Black Lagoon"?

You can see it at the top behind the Barclay. It was always ful of very dirty water, something to do with the railway I believe.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Anyone remember "The Black Lagoon"?

You can see it at the top behind the Barclay. It was always ful of very dirty water, something to do with the railway I believe.

Yes i remember “The Black Lagoon” the water always had oil floating on top. I think that back in the day it was a turntable for the trains 

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What is that building at the top of the picture? 

I recall the building LDC but dont know what it was. Just above it was the place you could leave your bike for threepence. I often used that in the early 60's.🚲

The long huts, one behind the Barclay and one behind the River End  south Stand corner, were the refrshment bars. They had shelves along the front that would be jam packed with Steward and Pattersons light ale bottles when half time ended. In those days you barely got 10 minutes to sup up🍺👍

Just now, Top corner said:

Yes i remember “The Black Lagoon” the water always had oil floating on top. I think that back in the day it was a turntable for the trains 

Yes I can remember seeing them turning a train when I used to bike to school that way in the late 50's.

37 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What is that building at the top of the picture? 

Maltings building...

• Thanks 1

You can also see the narrow channel that used to come up to the boathouse behind the South Stand.

Edited by ricardo

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I recall the building LDC but dont know what it was. Just above it was the place you could leave your bike for threepence. I often used that in the early 60's.🚲

The long huts, one behind the Barclay and one behind the River End  south Stand corner, were the refrshment bars. They had shelves along the front that would be jam packed with Steward and Pattersons light ale bottles when half time ended. In those days you barely got 10 minutes to sup up🍺👍

I’m sure the building was the turnstiles to get into the Barclay End

1 minute ago, Top corner said:

I’m sure the building was the turnstiles to get into the Barclay End

No mate, you could only get in from Carrow Rd. I think KF is correct, it was something to do with malting.

5 minutes ago, Top corner said:

There was a turntable but it was much closer to the station, near to the bridge goes over the lines in and out.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

What a great looking building.

http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Norwich/Industrial Architecture/Carrow Rd former maltings buildings S front [7843] 2001-09-01.jpg

http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Norwich/Industrial Architecture/Carrow Rd former maltings buildings W end [7842] 2001-09-01.jpg

Those photos look like around 1970.(G car reg 1968 I think.

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes I can remember seeing them turning a train when I used to bike to school that way in the late 50's.

Happy days, although i didn’t start going until 1979 when i was 7, i can remember the “Bolton Paul” factory behind what used to be called the main stand (now the city stand)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There was a turntable but it was much closer to the station, near to the bridge goes over the lines in and out.

Was the Black Lagoon something to do with cleaning the engines?

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No mate, you could only get in from Carrow Rd. I think KF is correct, it was something to do with malting.

Yes you are correct, i thought the building being talked about was the small building behind the Barclay End

1 minute ago, Top corner said:

Yes you are correct, i thought the building being talked about was the small building behind the Barclay End

Yes, thats the refreshment bar.

If you look carefully in the corner between the Barclay and the main stand you can just make out the brick built open topped toilets.

I remember my dad taking me to my first game &we sat in the old wooden main stand, some of the old boys used to stamp their feet if they thought the opposition was milking an injury if they were being treated by their physio 

2 minutes ago, Top corner said:

I remember my dad taking me to my first game &we sat in the old wooden main stand, some of the old boys used to stamp their feet if they thought the opposition was milking an injury if they were being treated by their physio 

Bucket and sponge! Worked wonders.

If i remember correctly Chase bought The Maltings when he was buying up all the land around Carrow Road ( one of the few good things he did ) and it stood for several years after his demise until it was demolished to make way for the new South Stand in 2002.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never seen this particular shot of Carrow Road before. It is 1955 apparently.

Image may contain: basketball court, stadium and outdoor

Love seeing these old images. Way before my time but great to see how things used to look! I can barely remember pre-jarrold!

Very noticeable how the pitch used to grt worn through the middle in those days. The goalmouths especially looked quite bare by the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Was the Black Lagoon something to do with cleaning the engines?

You are trying to ‘out’ the trainspotter in me! With steam locos there were  parts, especially the complicated valve gear, that needed oiling, so I suppose the grungy water used for cleaning that out, if that is what happened, could have ended up in the black lagoon. And later on there were diesel-engines locos.

Going to the toilet in the old south stand was an experience, there was always puddles of pee on the floor & it was horrible 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

More interesting photos here of old industrial buildings in Norwich.

http://www.georgeplunkett.co.uk/Norwich/industrialarchitecture.htm

Thanks LDC . 
Some lovely photos of the old Pockthorpe Brewery , where my Dad used to work for Steward and Patteson and then when Watneys took over . As a little boy I used to go with him into the office on Saturday mornings , then walk to Carrow Road if we were at home . I was allowed 1/2 pint of Red Barrel from the drinks room if nobody was about . I was only about 6 or 7 ! What great memories of me and my Dad . 

• Like 1

My dad worked at Laurence & Scott on Hardy Rd, my mum would take me to meet my dad at work & we would walk to the ground. Then my mum would come & pick us up after the game, then takes us home in our beige Austin Maxi 

• Like 1