Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Lovely Bit Of Nostalgia.

20 hours ago, ricardo said:

You can also see the narrow channel that used to come up to the boathouse behind the South Stand.

That was the channel my shoe ended up in , I tried to kick a fag butt while going up the stairs at the Barclay corner with the southstand in early seventies, shoe flew off , over the fence and Into the stream.  

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

That was the channel my shoe ended up in , I tried to kick a fag butt while going up the stairs at the Barclay corner with the southstand in early seventies, shoe flew off , over the fence and Into the stream.  

I bet it brogue your heart.....

I have seen a photo outside the nest with the  main entrance on the corner 

terrace houses and if my memory serves me right a white concrete Main entrance 

I regularly cycle up Rosary Road hill (but much prefer going down it) and a few years ago before they built the new homes and properties, some of the old nest terrace was overgrown but still quite visible from the road....(I think the old nest remnants are still there but concealed by buildings).....

I do love nostalgia, and how things used to be....fascinating.....I vaguely remember construction of the Jarrold Stand was put on hold because something unusual or of historical interest was found where the Jarrold foundations were to be laid....

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not quite as the one used in the 60's had a roof on the South Stand, very similar though ricardo.

s-l1600.jpg

Here's one from 1956, same as photo, no roof.

You are far too young to remember Tilly😉IMG_20200731_1842129.thumb.jpg.d82c2bc12c5e780fb2fb7348594ad450.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I regularly cycle up Rosary Road hill (but much prefer going down it) and a few years ago before they built the new homes and properties, some of the old nest terrace was overgrown but still quite visible from the road....(I think the old nest remnants are still there but concealed by buildings).....

I do love nostalgia, and how things used to be....fascinating.....I vaguely remember construction of the Jarrold Stand was put on hold because something unusual or of historical interest was found where the Jarrold foundations were to be laid....

i Remember that but like you can not remember what was it a grave or something like that ? 

Used to be a very good Fish & Chip shop just about where the arrow ends.

Always went in there before the match.

Picture1.thumb.jpg.861cd6624c9a0f2a0bbae2110277c144.jpg

Edited by Making Plans

3 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not quite as the one used in the 60's had a roof on the South Stand, very similar though ricardo.

s-l1600.jpg

have you got the holy grail Rochdale 1962 programme ?

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Here's one from 1956, same as photo, no roof.

You are far too young to remember Tilly😉IMG_20200731_1842129.thumb.jpg.d82c2bc12c5e780fb2fb7348594ad450.jpg

Two questions about this Ricky, why did you cut Sunderland out of the cover? And, was that really the first floodlit match like the cover implies?

Can't remember, but from my childhood scrawl of the word Sunderland, it must have been soon after for some obscure reason.

Yes, it was the inaugural floodlit match. My dad took me and we stood behind the goal about halfway up in the Barclay.

Just out of interest, I had a look and couldn't find any record of that match. No match at all is recorded in any cup or league games on that date. Could it have been a friendly, maybe as a test for the floodlights?

Wow. Carrow road looks so different. I can remember the old Barclay but never stood there as I was too young. 

Dad used to work at Boulton and Paul and he said the morning after games they'd regularly fish stuff out of the river. I might be imagining it but I'm sure he said a car once! Possibly after a Chelsea cup game in the fog? I'll have to check with him.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just out of interest, I had a look and couldn't find any record of that match. No match at all is recorded in any cup or league games on that date. Could it have been a friendly, maybe as a test for the floodlights?

Obviously it was a friendly. Sunderland were a top division one side. We were in the third division South at that time.

We lost 3-0 if my memory is correct. Sunderland had several internationals playing. I recall Len Shackleton and a chap reputed to have the hardest shot in football the time, Charlie "Cannonball" Fleming.

Edited by ricardo

Good memory! 🙂  I guessed it must be a friendly, but what a trip for Sunderland to make midweek, pre-motorways, in the middle of the season!

Edited by lake district canary

13 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

have you got the holy grail Rochdale 1962 programme ?

Unfortunately not.

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Good memory! 🙂  I guessed it must be a friendly, but what a trip for Sunderland to make midweek, pre-motorways, in the middle of the season!

It was usually train travel in those days LDC. I can recall seeing City players at Thorpe Station on a Saturday morning waiting for a London train. 

Also there wasn't  much of a midweek programme in those days. No League Cup for a start and for the big boys, no European involvement. It was a completely different world.

Edited by ricardo

On 30/07/2020 at 20:03, TIL 1010 said:

Never seen this particular shot of Carrow Road before. It is 1955 apparently.

Image may contain: basketball court, stadium and outdoor

Are you somewhere in that crowd Til101?