Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

A Lovely Bit Of Nostalgia.

i had some great photos of the nest being built ,Super rare so i offered them for sale to the club for the museum they were going to build inside the ground about 10 years ago 

The club wanted them donated ,

so i sold them to a collector of football stadiums In Italy 

26 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i had some great photos of the nest being built ,Super rare so i offered them for sale to the club for the museum they were going to build inside the ground about 10 years ago 

So do you want a medal? You could have put them on here or numerous places where fans could see them, rather than cash them in.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

You can also see the narrow channel that used to come up to the boathouse behind the South Stand.

I think thats how The Clarence Harbour and Harbour Road got their names.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Those photos look like around 1970.(G car reg 1968 I think.

Can't be that early, Volvo 240 didn't launch until 73 and looking closer, the g is at the start of the reg, the G you're thinking of was at the end, so that would put this early 90s I think...

58 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Shame on you.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes I can remember seeing them turning a train when I used to bike to school that way in the late 50's.

were you a teacher ?

12 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Can't be that early, Volvo 240 didn't launch until 73 and looking closer, the g is at the start of the reg, the G you're thinking of was at the end, so that would put this early 90s I think...

Yes, I think you must be right there.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

were you a teacher ?

No Billy, I think you had to be older than 13 for that.😉

12 hours ago, cornish sam said:

I always remember E reg was 87 (we had a Cavalier Commander that was E reg) so G must have been 89.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

1461770730_Wherebetheground.jpg.9947543939fbc12cfda73174475a804f.jpg

EPW021299.jpg.f31e4dc627be08ea8c33642cdea241b7.jpg

Even older photos. Where be the ground boy?

I remember walking past the Bolton and Paul factory as a lad (although not this far back, obviously...).

OTBC

I recall my father telling me that it was originally Bolton and Pauls sports ground and it had two pitches at 90 degrees to the present layout. If you look carefully you can see the worn goalmouths which seem to support this idea. There may also have been a cricket square by the look of the top photo.

Edited by ricardo

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

So do you want a medal? You could have put them on here or numerous places where fans could see them, rather than cash them in.

i did show them on here and that is my business / what i do for a living selling old vintage photos! ,

so the club can spend millions on wages etc but will not buy history ? 

they cost me a lot to buy i was not given them 

Directors of the club are millionaires i am not so i can not afford to give a millionaire something for their club 

6 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i did show them on here and that is my business / what i do for a living selling old vintage photos! ,

so the club can spend millions on wages etc but will not buy history ? 

they cost me a lot to buy i was not given them 

Directors of the club are millionaires i am not so i can not afford to give a millionaire something for their club 

Fair enough if you shared them on here, it was just that you came across as a bit of a money grabber in your post, but it is entirely different if it is your living at stake. 

No one has to buy anything though and if the club didn't want them, then that is up to them. I assume this was in McNally's time where every penny was going towards the team - absolutely nothing was being spent on anything else and it was a totally rigid policy. 

Also, if you were offering them to the club, then the fact that directors have money is irrelevant to that - you would needed to have approached them personally to see if they wanted them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Fair enough if you shared them on here, it was just that you came across as a bit of a money grabber in your post, but it is entirely different if it is your living at stake. 

No one has to buy anything though and if the club didn't want them, then that is up to them. I assume this was in McNally's time where every penny was going towards the team - absolutely nothing was being spent on anything else and it was a totally rigid policy. 

Also, if you were offering them to the club, then the fact that directors have money is irrelevant to that - you would needed to have approached them personally to see if they wanted them.

Hi Lakey no problem i did not explain myself well 

i did go direct and they had never seen them before but wanted the donated like many museums do 

Great Yarmouth time and Tide are terrible for that want your items to show with no financial gain for the owner

Norwich castle and Library pay well 

also London Museums will go through the roof for right items 

my point is you have to pay museums to go in so why do they expect something for nothing 

i do not know what happened to the museum idea in was going to be in City stand  

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i do not know what happened to the museum idea in was going to be in City stand  

There is a Historical Trust and a couple of fans are members of it. If i remember correctly space was going to be allocated for a museum in The South Stand when it was rebuilt but for whatever reason it did not materialise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ricardo said:

Yes, thats the refreshment bar.

If you look carefully in the corner between the Barclay and the main stand you can just make out the brick built open topped toilets.

Those toilets put the fear of God into a young impressionable 14 year old making his first foray into solo trips to Carrow Road.

Beef burgers kept warm in liquid.                 Blue invalid cars making there way round the touch line.                                                   Ice and snow on the terraces.                          Queuing up waiting for the turnstiles to open.                                                               Ah, those were the days.

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

They Should Of Bought Roy Blowers Collection a lot of that went to auction 

Not all of it by a long chalk as Kathy Blake and myself have spent some considerable time with Beryl Blower helping her sort out Roy's memorabilia and an unbelievable amount of paperwork he had accumulated over the years. Months after his death the family were discovering items that they had no idea existed.

20 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Never seen this particular shot of Carrow Road before. It is 1955 apparently.

Image may contain: basketball court, stadium and outdoor

From my very earliest memory of attending Carrow Road (c 1957) wasn't this photo,or a similar close-up of the ground,used on the cover of the matchday programme for some time in the late 50s or early 60s? 

Maybe some of you oldies with better memories than me might remember 🙂

2 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

They Should Of Bought Roy Blowers Collection a lot of that went to auction 

I always thought the Historical Trust was a charity. Not sure they have the funds to buy collections. I think the fans that run it are volunteers. They're good people. Who did you speak to?

Edited by nutty nigel

20 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I always thought the Historical Trust was a charity. Not sure they have the funds to buy collections. I think the fans that run it are volunteers. They're good people. Who did you speak to?

it was at least  5 / 6 years ago  maybe longer nutty i have long forgotten

it was Mcnally who called to asked what was going on with them and i told him i had sold them 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not all of it by a long chalk as Kathy Blake and myself have spent some considerable time with Beryl Blower helping her sort out Roy's memorabilia and an unbelievable amount of paperwork he had accumulated over the years. Months after his death the family were discovering items that they had no idea existed.

Maybe what the family and others did not want , i am glad you saved it if you or Kathy need any help with items for the trust please let me know ,

i think i spoke to someone who lived or worked in cambridge ?? i might have that wrong though 

Edited by norfolkngood

36 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

From my very earliest memory of attending Carrow Road (c 1957) wasn't this photo,or a similar close-up of the ground,used on the cover of the matchday programme for some time in the late 50s or early 60s? 

Maybe some of you oldies with better memories than me might remember 🙂

Yes, it's the same photo.

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

it was at least  5 / 6 years ago  maybe longer nutty i have long forgotten

it was Mcnally who called to asked what was going on with them and i told him i had sold them 

What on earth was McNally getting involved in that for?!?!?!

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

What on earth was McNally getting involved in that for?!?!?!

well i sent a copy to him and directors as i did not know who to send them to 

i emailed his secretary  and i sent a letter and copy of photos to him FAO Mcnally aim for the top nutty ha 

Just now, norfolkngood said:

well i sent a copy to him and directors as i did not know who to send them to 

i emailed his secretary  and i sent a letter and copy of photos to him FAO Mcnally aim for the top nutty ha 

Lol

You only needed to post on here as one of the historical trust guys is an occasional poster.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Lol

You only needed to post on here as one of the historical trust guys is an occasional poster.

I did post the photos on here I do not know how to find them 

Just now, norfolkngood said:

I did post the photos on here I do not know how to find them 

I meant to go to the top🙃 

I doubt the pics will still show from an old post.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes, it's the same photo.

Not quite as the one used in the 60's had a roof on the South Stand, very similar though ricardo.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1