Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

£40m for Nathan Ake

In what way?

Ake is certainly worth more than any of our players- he's got significant Premier League experience and has been a key player for Bournemouth.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I disagree with both of you. He's always looked quite ordinary to me 

Same to be fair. He has good games then has some terrible ones. Man city love throwing money at a defence. They'll never have a decent one 

22 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I disagree with both of you. He's always looked quite ordinary to me 

I think he was player of the season twice and Bournemouth and has played a few times for the Dutch national team. I dont think he's ordinary and I'd swap him for Godfrey in a heartbeat.

Ake has a lot of externalities going for him apart from being a very comfortable Premier League defender; being homegrown, left footed and never injured means a huge amount when determining his fee. (There were only 6 left footed centre backs in the Premier League last season who got significant minutes).

The fact Liverpool, Man U and Man C all wanted him also definitely helps get his price up a bit as well.

I still expect Godfrey to fetch over £20m easily, but not sure if he is comparable for many reasons.

I just remember being very encouraged when Ake was not present for the youth cup final second leg..... cos he was on the bench for Europa league,maybe Champions league final. I seem to remember we won. He's turned into a very steady defender with the odd goal in him too. Not surprised he's gone for big money....will be hard for them to replace though. As  Bethno said , a young ish, decent,left footed homegrown CB, name your price.

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Ake has a lot of externalities going for him apart from being a very comfortable Premier League defender; being homegrown, left footed and never injured means a huge amount when determining his fee. (There were only 6 left footed centre backs in the Premier League last season who got significant minutes).

The fact Liverpool, Man U and Man C all wanted him also definitely helps get his price up a bit as well.

I still expect Godfrey to fetch over £20m easily, but not sure if he is comparable for many reasons.

There is a good reason why there are very few left footed centre backs in the Premier League. Coaches don't like them unless they have two. Left footed and right footed centre backs get in each others way

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

There is a good reason why there are very few left footed centre backs in the Premier League. Coaches don't like them unless they have two. Left footed and right footed centre backs get in each others way

Really?, I've never heard that before. Not saying its untrue, just would have thought it'd give balance. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

In what way?

Ake is certainly worth more than any of our players- he's got significant Premier League experience and has been a key player for Bournemouth.

It sets the bar in the sense that if Ake is worth 40m, Godfrey is probably worth at least 20m

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It sets the bar in the sense that if Ake is worth 40m, Godfrey is probably worth at least 20m

This

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Except some on here reckoned Godfrey was worth 40 plus. If Ake is worth 40 I think we can expect Godfrey to go for 20 maybe 25 tops. 

(Edit: im also reminded of the sky sports news article earlier this month which said the club value Godfrey at 50...)

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Why? Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Two right footed centre backs would be much more likely to get in each other’s way than one right footer and one left footer. Carragher has today said that Ake and Laporte might struggle together as they are both left footed. Having one left and one right footer though is about the most balanced you can get and would probably be the ideal in a four man defence.

Edited by Aggy

Got a feeling Pep might play Nathan Ake in midfield, which is where he starred for Chelsea as a Youth player. 

What i think Ake has got that Godfrey lacks is Aggression 

Ake has that Nasty edge to his game 

Not OTT but enough to Make sure Strikers know they have had a hard Match 

6 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

What i think Ake has got that Godfrey lacks is Aggression 

Ake has that Nasty edge to his game 

Not OTT but enough to Make sure Strikers know they have had a hard Match 

That’s true, it’s something that’s missing throughout the squad unless you count Buendia who takes it too far!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Except some on here reckoned Godfrey was worth 40 plus. If Ake is worth 40 I think we can expect Godfrey to go for 20 maybe 25 tops. 

(Edit: im also reminded of the sky sports news article earlier this month which said the club value Godfrey at 50...)

Why? Right footer on the right, left footer on the left. Two right footed centre backs would be much more likely to get in each other’s way than one right footer and one left footer. Carragher has today said that Ake and Laporte might struggle together as they are both left footed. Having one left and one right footer though is about the most balanced you can get and would probably be the ideal in a four man defence.

The general view of coaches is that left footed central defenders are not a good thing. It means that both are on their wrong foot if someone gets between them 

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The general view of coaches is that left footed central defenders are not a good thing. It means that both are on their wrong foot if someone gets between them 

Not if you play them on their opposite sides.....I used to play left side as a right footer with a left footer on my right. We only let an average of 4 goals in each game.....

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I see the logic there but I’d argue if your defence is well drilled your centre backs should much more regularly have men going round their outside rather than between the two centre backs. If an attacker tries to go round them on the outside, then you’d be better off having a right footer and left footer than two of the same foot.

Likewise if the attacker gets between the centre backs, then as soon as they turn and face their own goal to chase, it makes more sense to have a left foot right foot combination as both defenders will then have their stronger foot nearer the attacker to make the challenge.

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I think he was player of the season twice and Bournemouth and has played a few times for the Dutch national team. I dont think he's ordinary and I'd swap him for Godfrey in a heartbeat.

Yeah you might but we aren't comparing him to godfrey. Nobody has said godfrey is worth 40m on here for a long time. Last time I can remember is when everyone was jizzing their pants we beat man city. Ake is 25m max in my book. All of our homegrown are probably 15 to 20m max

Nathan Ake Stats 

Goals12
Wins51
Losses67
  • Defence
    Clean sheets30
    Goals conceded220
    Tackles254
    Tackle success %63%
    Last man tackles3
    Blocked shots20
    Interceptions206
    Clearances757
    Headed Clearance413
    Clearances off line5
    Recoveries633
    Duels won657
    Duels lost442
    Successful 50/50s29
    Aerial battles won311
    Aerial battles lost272
    Own goals0
    Errors leading to goal0
  •  
  • Team Play
    Assists6
    Passes5,580
    Passes per match38.22
    Big chances created9
    Crosses61
    Cross accuracy %20%
    Through balls3
    Accurate long balls259
  •  
  • Discipline
    Yellow cards15
    Red cards1
    Fouls97
    Offsides7
  •  
  • Attack
    Goals12
    Headed goals6
    Goals with right foot1
    Goals with left foot5
    Hit woodwork4

Ben Godfrey Stats

Goals0
Wins5
Losses22
  • Attack
    Goals0
    Goals per match0.00
    Headed goals0
    Goals with right foot0
    Goals with left foot0
    Penalties scored0
    Freekicks scored0
    Shots15
    Shots on target6
    Shooting accuracy %40%
    Hit woodwork2
    Big chances missed1
  •  
  • Team Play
    Assists0
    Passes1,660
    Passes per match55.33
    Big chances created0
    Crosses3
    Cross accuracy %0%
    Through balls1
    Accurate long balls95
  •  
  • Discipline
    Yellow cards3
    Red cards1
    Fouls15
    Offsides0
  •  
  • Defence
    Tackles22
    Tackle success %64%
    Blocked shots0
    Interceptions25
    Clearances148
    Headed Clearance76
    Recoveries162
    Duels won105
    Duels lost70
    Successful 50/50s8
    Aerial battles won66
    Aerial battles lost42
    Errors leading to goal0

Extrapolating out those stats Godfrey actually is the better performer, very, very similar defensive stats on a per game basis, but far better passing...

• Like 1