Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Premier Leauge goals of the 19/20 season revealed

And that is indeed Ben Godfrey shying away from it rather than attempting to block.....

On 29/07/2020 at 13:42, sgncfc said:

And that is indeed Ben Godfrey shying away from it rather than attempting to block.....

Dont' be such an absolute twit!  Godfrey has blocked god knows how many shots this season. If you watched the actual film of the goal rather than making a snarkey comment about the still you would see that Godfrey went to close down Welbeck, and only half turned away at the last second when Welbeck's boot was moving in the direction of his head. Cameron Jerome's 'goal' against Palace was disallowed for less. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Dont' be such an absolute twit!  Godfrey has blocked god knows how many shots this season. If you watched the actual film of the goal rather than making a snarkey comment about the still you would see that Godfrey went to close down Welbeck, and only half turned away at the last second when Welbeck's boot was moving in the direction of his head. Cameron Jerome's 'goal' against Palace was disallowed for less. 

Well he didn't block that one did he? I watched it live and shouted at the tv at the time. A centre back doesn't shy away, ever, not if they're any good - they should automatically move towards the ball not away from it. And no, Jerome's goal wasn't disallowed for less, because the Palace defender put his head near it and so won the free kick. And I deny that I am a twit, but I have been called worse.

We can agree to differ, but you're completely wrong.

11 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Well he didn't block that one did he? I watched it live and shouted at the tv at the time. A centre back doesn't shy away, ever, not if they're any good - they should automatically move towards the ball not away from it. And no, Jerome's goal wasn't disallowed for less, because the Palace defender put his head near it and so won the free kick. And I deny that I am a twit, but I have been called worse.

We can agree to differ, but you're completely wrong.

No, he didn't block that one, but he's blocked countless shots this season and received a fair few kicks in the head and face while doing so - do you actually watch our games? (Or are your rantings at the TV considered to carry the weight of the pronouncements of Moses?). 

Maybe in honour of VAR we could have a "disallowed goals of the season" compilation as well. Pukki v Spuds at the top of that list. 

20 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No, he didn't block that one, but he's blocked countless shots this season and received a fair few kicks in the head and face while doing so - do you actually watch our games? (Or are your rantings at the TV considered to carry the weight of the pronouncements of Moses?). 

https://www.premierleague.com/players/10968/Ben-Godfrey/stats

Pay close attention to the number given under shots blocked, but in general I would suggest that this is not a very impressive collection of numbers for such a highly rated player. 

And yes I do go to the games (which is why I don't rate Godfrey very highly as a centre back) but I clearly missed all the facial injuries brave Ben has succumbed to as a result of him throwing himself at strikers boots. I don't recall him getting too many stitches or broken noses. And yes, I probably am Moses in terms of being more right than you are. I'm almost as old as Moses anyway.

To clarify, I think Ben Godfrey is a very talented footballer, just not a very effective centre back. And I repeat, you shouldn't flinch and turn away when an opposition striker takes a pot at goal if you're a decent centre back.