Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Forget PPG, use PPM

Just noticed the small print, based on bill for all staff for 18/19 accounts so last seasons wage bill compared to this seasons points total.

Not sure if that's a good way of doing it.

Edited by A Load of Squit

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They are from the Athletic and as it is based on last season’s accounts (as you say) it is even more meaningless than it looks. 

yeah, but, Europa place?

Why not post the other table from the Athletic piece? Is it because it paints us in a much more negative light?

Sure we have almost the lowest wage bill, that's great. We also finished rock bottom, the 6th worst team in Premier League history. So how successful were we with that wage bill? 

spacer.png

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They are from the Athletic and as it is based on last season’s accounts (as you say) it is even more meaningless than it looks. 

I would imagine that the only two teams who'd have a much different wage bill for this season would be SU and us, so those two might be lower down the table, but I feel that the general point is right - the top clubs are buying their points, and not very economically (because they can).

Well it does show a little bit about what we were up against - given that Moneyball theory is that it's the wage rather than the transfer fee which determines quality. It also shows that if Bournemouth and Watford don't have relegation clauses they could be in some trouble.

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Why not post the other table from the Athletic piece? Is it because it paints us in a much more negative light?

Sure we have almost the lowest wage bill, that's great. We also finished rock bottom, the 6th worst team in Premier League history. So how successful were we with that wage bill? 

spacer.png

OMG! How sh1t were Liverpool last season.

6 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

OMG! How sh1t were Liverpool last season.

What a bang average middle of the run team they are!

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Just noticed the small print, based on bill for all staff for 18/19 accounts so last seasons wage bill compared to this seasons points total.

Not sure if that's a good way of doing it.

If it’s from last season I expect our salaries jumped more significantly than most of the others as ours will have had promotion increases. So would Villa and Shef Utd I imagine and no surprise the three promoted clubs are in the top 5. 

It makes sense, as generally speaking wages will be a much purer reflection of the value the player is to the successful buying/retaining club.

Transfer fees do include that but also the context-specific value of the player to the selling club at the time, the price & availability of alternative players at the time (including ‘do nothing’ option), etc.

Am I missing something? What is the point in referencing 2018/19 wage bill with 2019/20 points total, and across 2 different divisions at that? I get if we did it on this years wage bill we would look worse, but even so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

spacer.png

Even ignoring that these are wages from the season before, what does dividing our wage bill by one prove? Watford spent twice what we did but got one place higher - is that better than what we achieved in half the wages? This is stats for stats sake, looks like someone got told “come up with five different ways of displaying the wages paid by PL clubs”, instead of being asked to come up with something meaningful.

• Like 1

Thanks to subscribers to The Athletic someone has had the idea and the time to produce these tables.

Next they'll produce a chart based on average player size devided by number of miles run during the 80th to 90th minute in games played on a Tuesday.

😀

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Maybe he doesn't want to wallow in self pity and is trying to look on the bright side. You should try it sometime.

It does not show also that some of the bigger players at bigger clubs basically pay for themselves through image rights shirt sales etc 

i think when Bale signed for Real Madrid it cost them nothing due the money they made from  advertising and  image rights etc 

so wages only show one side of the story 

Edited by norfolkngood

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

It does not show also that some of the bigger players at bigger clubs basically pay for themselves through image rights shirt sales etc 

i think when Bale signed for Real Madrid it cost them nothing due the money they made from  advertising and  image rights etc 

so wages only show one side of the story 

So what we need is a table of points per shirt sales.

The Athletic are going to be very busy preparing all of the different ways of analysing points per pick something, anything, we need the clicks.

How about points per articles on The Athletic.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

So what we need is a table of points per shirt sales.

The Athletic are going to be very busy preparing all of the different ways of analysing points per pick something, anything, we need the clicks.

How about points per articles on The Athletic.

what i was trying to say just because the club pays a player 100k a week they might well earn most of that back so actual cost to clubs is not what is stated in wage  

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe he doesn't want to wallow in self pity and is trying to look on the bright side. You should try it sometime.

I’m looking on the bright side, you post less sanctimonious rubbish on this forum during the off-season.