Sign in to follow this  
seanthecanary

How much influence does Farke have on transfers?

I'd be really interested to know how big an input Farke has on who we do or don't sign? I ask because he hasn't exactly shown a lot of faith in the signings we made, particularly last summer with the exception of Byram. The 3 loan signings are of particular interest because none of them stayed the season, with one gone before Xmas, one by January and the third not long after. Farke clearly never rated Roberts which is fair enough considering he's not exactly a nailed on choice for a team at the bottom of the championship. Amadou played a handful of games but you wonder if he would have even played that much if not for injuries to the defence and midfield. The keeper is an odd one, he left citing lack of playing time so he must have come here under the impression he would play. Loans aren't free, there will be fees and wages involved so, with Duda included, a player who Farke went off as well, you wonder why we signed them and who made the decision? Did we sign players Farke didn't really want or did he just make bad choices? 

Edited by seanthecanary

There are definitely questions around Farke’s man management of certain players this season, especially around the loan players. Amadou was brought in as a CDM but only played a single game in his preferred position before being shifted into a makeshift defence, he didn’t perform extremely well there certainly, but he never got another crack in his preferred position despite the midfield defensive screen being poor all season. Roberts was an odd one, he came with attitude problems well documented, didn’t get any game time and was promptly sent back, was that Webber’s misjudgement or was Farke unable to work through the players issues and get something useful out of him? Fahrmann is the only one who I think Farke gets a good star for, he may have come expecting game time but prevailing opinion is that his presence in training and on the bench motivated Krul to perform to an extremely high standard all season.

Given the management model that we have it is difficult to say.  In his first season there was quite a clearout and a lot of overseas players brought in many from the lower German leagues, i would imagine that many of these were recommended by him. It was a difficult season and  most of these took time to settle, some never did. He was brilliant at bringing through the youngsters  prime case giving Maddison his chance now a £110000 a week PL player. Season 2 the key signing were Buendia and Pukki, he may have come across Pukki in his early career but not heard of Buendia at all. Most of the previous seasons overseas signings began to settle very well and those thatdid not were shipped out. I suspect he knew there was little or no money for the PL season and was probably disappointed but got on with things without moaning. He may not have been consulted much about the loans non of whome came off or with the exception of Amadou were given much of a chance and even the latter was mainly played out of position. Was he trying to exert more of an influence and prove a point if he did not have much say on their arrival by not playing them, who knows and i suspect no one outside the club does. What is clear is that he is his own man in who he does play and maybe he will  have a big say on who leaves

Edited by Yorkshire Canary

I would like to imagine that this changes depending on the club.

Here however.. I presume Farke has his agents look through lower leauges and the German divisons. They tell Farke. Farke recommends to webber.

Webber gets final say

Im fairly sure Webber has said the Farke has the last call on if we sign a player or not. As far as I can remember (and is the normal structure within a sporting director set up) the Manager will tell the sporting director the areas of the pitch he wants to strengthen, though the SD should be competent enough to be able to identify that by whats going on on the pitch anyway. The SD will then use the scouting team to identify a list of potential players for each position which will then be shown to the manager. The Manager then picks the shortlist with the SD and scouting teams assistance and then its up for the SD to do the backroom work to make the move happen. 

Its a common miss-conception that teams with a Sporting Director sign players the manager hasn't approved or doesn't want. I think it largely comes from the attitude of the old school managers who like to have a finger in every pie, but as a result can end up being stretched too thing. That was something that was said of Hughton, whilst admirable in his intention he wanted to be involved with the academy and the scouting etc and it just ends up detracting from the first team.