Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Wolfie's charity 5,000-mile challenge

1 minute ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Great stuff Wolfie,  really impressed........

Thanks very much! I'm actually starting to enjoy the whole rides now, even the exhausted bits at the end... 🙂

You may be changing your life FTW because after this experience you'll never be the same again!

The bike may keep calling you and you'll be addicted to keeping active. 

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You may be changing your life FTW because after this experience you'll never be the same again!

The bike may keep calling you and you'll be addicted to keeping active. 

I was thinking that yesterday! I played Sunday League football for the best part of 20 years, and used to swim and play squash quite regularly, but in the past five years or so I have become rather sedentary and put on a lot of weight.

Even though it's my rest day, I'm tempted to get out there and have a little spin, just because...

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was thinking that yesterday! I played Sunday League football for the best part of 20 years, and used to swim and play squash quite regularly, but in the past five years or so I have become rather sedentary and put on a lot of weight.

Even though it's my rest day, I'm tempted to get out there and have a little spin, just because...

Put your feet up my boy and bathe the chafing.

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Put your feet up my boy and bathe the chafing.

Pah! Is that the spirit that won us an empire on which the sun never set and in which the gin never ran out? Actually it was using the gatling gun against natives armed with pointed sticks, but never mind that now...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Pah! Is that the spirit that won us an empire on which the sun never set and in which the gin never ran out? Actually it was using the gatling gun against natives armed with pointed sticks, but never mind that now...

Alright dad, I'll go out for a little ride later... sorry 😣

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

It was aimed more at Van Wink with his wussy advice than at you! I have pretty much stopped cycling (to my visible detriment!) but you might find you want to carry on once the charity effort is over.

I was lucky in that I used to live only four or five miles from the sea so could do that as a nice flat round trip trip on quiet back roads.  Sometimes on a very early Sunday morning (as cure for a hangover...) I did a longer trip to the seaside, passing the local nudist colony on the way!

I don't know if you are close enough to the sea, or possibly the Broads, but I always found having water an an objective was somehow psychologically refreshing.

57 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It was aimed more at Van Wink with his wussy advice than at you! I have pretty much stopped cycling (to my visible detriment!) but you might find you want to carry on once the charity effort is over.

I was lucky in that I used to live only four or five miles from the sea so could do that as a nice flat round trip trip on quiet back roads.  Sometimes on a very early Sunday morning (as cure for a hangover...) I did a longer trip to the seaside, passing the local nudist colony on the way!

I don't know if you are close enough to the sea, or possibly the Broads, but I always found having water an an objective was somehow psychologically refreshing.

It's about 17 miles to the sea from my home in Old Catton - I think Sea Palling is the nearest.

Woodbastwick and Ranworth are easily reachable on a circuitous route, though, and Wroxham is less than half an hour away.

• Like 1

On 06/08/2020 at 10:16, Feedthewolf said:

Do do do !!  I played and trained hard at footy till I passed fifty, then sat on my arris for 2 years , put on a couple of stone, then decided that unless it was pi$$ing down or further than 10 miles, I'd cycle everywhere  I could . The podge fell off me. Now back at 32" waist and next landmark birthday is 60 in a couple of years.During lockdown i'd go shopping on me bike , putting everything I bought in a rucksack. Trying to work out  a way to  tow my fishing kayak with my bike, trouble is it's a 2+1 kayak, is 13 feet long and weighs about 50 kg once loaded....and thats without the weight of a trailer....its a bit hillier  than Naaarfuk here🤔

Keep it up Wolfo! ....that's also something that improves with fitness  💏😉

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Haha 1

On 06/08/2020 at 15:06, Feedthewolf said:

He didn’t mean it, it was more about wussy advice😁

But seriously chafing can be a big issue, spending the evening with your plums cooling in the sink is often very relieving.😉

Good luck for the rest of the ride👍

Edited by Van wink
  • Haha 1

On 07/08/2020 at 15:58, Van wink said:

He didn’t mean it, it was more about wussy advice😁

But seriously chafing can be a big issue, spending the evening with your plums cooling in the sink is often very relieving.😉

Good luck for the rest of the ride👍

I know, Winky! I was only joshing myself. I'm up to 140 miles now; went for a lush ride around prime Broadland this morning with @Fifty, who I didn't even know had an account on here until today! Even though he's mostly a lurker, I'm calling him out anyway as it was a real pleasure to ride with him.

Back to solo riding tomorrow, and I'm thinking of going up to Reepham on the Marriott's Way... would be nice to get 'off road' for a bit.

***INDECENCY WARNING***

Today's ride was a little tougher, and I'm a lot sorer 'down there' than I have been so far. It's not the plums so much, but the areas around my 'sit bones'... I've used body butter and medicated talc... would an ice pack do any good down there, do you think? 

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Today's ride was a little tougher, and I'm a lot sorer 'down there' than I have been so far. It's not the plums so much, but the areas around my 'sit bones'... I've used body butter and medicated talc... would an ice pack do any good down there, do you think? 

Are you wearing proper cycling shorts as it looks like you’ve got footy shorts on ? If you are wearing cycling shorts then we need to know if you’re, err, going commando 😁😂

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Are you wearing proper cycling shorts as it looks like you’ve got footy shorts on ? If you are wearing cycling shorts then we need to know if you’re, err, going commando 😁😂

Yes, they're proper cycling shorts, and yes I'm going commando! Applying chamois cream before each ride too... 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I know, Winky! I was only joshing myself. I'm up to 140 miles now; went for a lush ride around prime Broadland this morning with @Fifty, who I didn't even know had an account on here until today! Even though he's mostly a lurker, I'm calling him out anyway as it was a real pleasure to ride with him.

Back to solo riding tomorrow, and I'm thinking of going up to Reepham on the Marriott's Way... would be nice to get 'off road' for a bit.

***INDECENCY WARNING***

Sitting on a kiddies rubber swimming ring may help as it woould help to reverse the pressure created  by the saddle. Similar to the way they are used to relieve piles.  Maybe , as they do so much cycling there is why it called the Netherlands😉👍😇

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Sitting on a kiddies rubber swimming ring may help as it woould help to reverse the pressure created  by the saddle. Similar to the way they are used to relieve piles.  Maybe , as they do so much cycling there is why it called the Netherlands😉👍😇

Haha! Hadn't thought of that, although I do have a very comfy sofa. I'm having an extremely lazy day watching the cricket, so hopefully I'll be ready to roll again in the morning...

23 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

***INDECENCY WARNING***

Cold bath maybe?  The way this cricket is going I’m going to be jumping up and down on the sofa myself. Enjoy tomorrow, Marriott’s Way should be fine, apart from all the dog $HIT that seems to litter it these days.

Edited by Van wink

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Cold bath maybe?  The way this cricket is going I’m going to be jumping up and down on the sofa myself. Enjoy tomorrow, Marriott’s Way should be fine, apart from all the dog $HIT that seems to litter it these days.

Yeah, I think I'll need a bath after this Test match finishes! 🙂

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, they're proper cycling shorts, and yes I'm going commando! Applying chamois cream before each ride too... 🙂

Problem you’ve got is not being able to give everything down there a proper rest. Try changing your position on the seat just a little when you’re on a ride, might help just a little but realistically you could need a few days break which obviously you can’t do.

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Problem you’ve got is not being able to give everything down there a proper rest. Try changing your position on the seat just a little when you’re on a ride, might help just a little but realistically you could need a few days break which obviously you can’t do.

Yeah, I'm trying to do 20 miles per day, with every sixth day being a rest day. That should get me to 500 miles by the 29th, which leaves me a couple of spare days for additional recovery/emergencies.

It was never NOT gonna hurt... 🙂

The good news is that is sounds as if you are just feeling sore around your sit bones, and you will go through that after a few days, it just takes a few days to adapt.  As Fenway said just try to move position a bit while you’re out. I’m a great fan of Vaseline for the ride and sudocreme for recovery. 

Lakey, my dad once wrapped his seat in bubble wrap. I’m sure it was comfy but the constant popping made me laugh so much we only got to the end of his road before turning back 😬😳

I've had a crash. I'm okay other than bumps and bruises, but my bike is a right mess (it's currently being looked at). Please keep sharing my fundraising page at tiny.cc/colo500, and follow me on Instagram here - I will get to 500 miles if I have to crawl.

Ee-mfYSXoAAycyY.thumb.jpg.a547bd927a4c7279a27fdb5803216f73.jpg

Was going down Yarmouth Road and heard my bike making a funny noise... looked down for a few seconds to try to identify the source of the noise, looked back up again and was about three feet from a parked car. BANG.

9 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Easily done, glad you are Ok and hoe you get a replacement bike sorted.........

I've already had about four or five offers of a bike to ride! I will be back in the saddle tomorrow unless my leg falls off overnight.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I've already had about four or five offers of a bike to ride! I will be back in the saddle tomorrow unless my leg falls off overnight.

Glad you're OK!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ouch, sorry to hear but glad you o.k., it'll take your mind off the saddle soreness . 

Your bike was in a mess Wolfie but it's okay now and all straightened out. Hope you're recovering well. I got the bike fixed close to closing time today so I'll take it out for a test ride in the morning and then you can get back out on the road 🙂🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2