Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Wolfie's charity 5,000-mile challenge

Good luck Wolfe, I did my first triathlon two years ago, it nearly killed me!😂👍

I’ll make sure I log on and donate. Have a blast.

Wonderful thing to do FTW . Donation done .

If your mind starts to wander, give some thought to a song for Alex Tettey ! 

Good luck mate .

Edited by Pockthorpe

That sounds a great way to support a good cause so I have left a little contribution.

I’ve been a club cyclist for most of my adult life and the thing that I have found with long rides and tours is that it is always your contact points that need looking after. So get good cycling shorts and some sudocreme or Vaseline in case of any chafes. But look after your feet and hands too as sore wrists or feet can really be a nuisance. Some cycling mitts might be useful and make sure your shoes fit well. Oh and don’t forget the sun block! 

I am sure you’ll have a great time and there are some beautiful roads in the county to explore. Bon route 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

Your remarkable generosity has really touched me, Pinkun folk. Including my separate Facebook fundraiser, I've already raised a remarkable £1,161... and that's before I've even got on the bike! Not to mention all the well-wishes, sage advice and offers of support.

I now have a shorter URL for the JustGiving page, from which anyone can access my Instagram, Facebook and YouTube channels. The content will get a lot more interesting once I actually start riding!

tiny.cc/colo500

I've also attached a poster that I've designed, in case anyone feels inclined to print one out and put it in their office/place of work/shop etc.

Thanks again!

Colo500.png

Edited by Feedthewolf
Would help to include the URL...
  • Like 4

Good for you FTW. A great cause, and hopefully you might just find a new hobby!

Cycling and Running is a great escape for me from the trials and tribulations of life. It's a powerful remedy to mental health issues too, and that's coming from experience. 

If you'd like any advice on gear, nutrition, etc... then just ask!

I find a bottle of Timothy Taylor, Landlord, the perfect recovery ale after an evening ride 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Cycling and Running is a great escape for me from the trials and tribulations of life. It's a powerful remedy to mental health issues too, and that's coming from experience. 

I find a bottle of Timothy Taylor, Landlord, the perfect recovery ale after an evening ride 😉

I’m not sure about its recovery powers, but it’s so much nicer if you can find it on draught. But needs must...

Edited by Nuff Said

2 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

A friend of mine who is a very keen cyclist (I would say nutcase he has done the Col du Tourmalet) concurs that a glass of ale is a perfect aid to recovery, just a glass mind 😇.........

Donated-very good luck, it’s a great cause. Just steer clear of Delia if you see her, cycling and red wine don’t mix very well 🤣

23 hours ago, Hansterbubble said:

That sounds a great way to support a good cause so I have left a little contribution.

I’ve been a club cyclist for most of my adult life and the thing that I have found with long rides and tours is that it is always your contact points that need looking after. So get good cycling shorts and some sudocreme or Vaseline in case of any chafes. But look after your feet and hands too as sore wrists or feet can really be a nuisance. Some cycling mitts might be useful and make sure your shoes fit well. Oh and don’t forget the sun block! 

I am sure you’ll have a great time and there are some beautiful roads in the county to explore. Bon route 🙂👍

Wear sunglasses at all times and keep your mouth closed. 

😃👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

😃👍

Best advice so far 😁

39 minutes ago, Number9 said:

😃👍

Not wrong either. Something getting in your eye when you're putting a bit of a move on is a pain in the....

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

😃👍

Very good advice, once got stung on the lip by a bee as I was cycling into Norwich for a home game........

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB

3 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Very good advice, once got stung on the lip by a bee cycling into Norwich for a home game........

There's a lesson for you.

Never get in the way of a cycling bee, especially not one with a season ticket.

Took the bike out for a test spin tonight... just a gentle 8.5 miles. It's riding well enough, but I think the sore bum is going to be the biggest problem!

Also, any tips for how to make your helmet fit more comfortably? Don't really have the money for a new one, so any advice would be gratefully received.

Finally, I made it onto the EDP website today, with something to come in the print edition too I hope! 

• Haha 2

On 28/07/2020 at 18:16, Feedthewolf said:

Hi folks. Firstly, I've cleared this with Pete Raven, and with Nutty from a PUPs perspective, and they're both happy for me to post it.

The Norfolk Community Foundation, in conjunction with former North Norfolk MP Sir Norman Lamb, are running a campaign during August to raise money for youth mental health in Norfolk. The EDP covered the story here yesterday, but the short version is that Sir Norman is encouraging people to club together throughout August and collectively walk, run or cycle 500 miles between them in and around Norfolk. Among the ambassadors for the campaign are Delia Smith, Christoph Zimmermann, Alex Tettey, Iwan Roberts, Jeremy Goss, Darren Eadie and Paul McVeigh.

As someone who has experienced mental health problems since my teens, this cause is extremely important to me. It's vital that we give our young people the best start in life; a lot of the time, when people turn 18 they are simply dropped by youth mental health services and passed on to adult services, where they often face long waiting lists before being able to resume any support or treatment.

As such, I have decided I'm going to have a crack at covering 500 miles all by myself; this would be a modest distance for an experienced road cyclist, but I have no experience of long-distance riding and I'm also clinically obese. I'm hoping that by completing this challenge I will be able to help Norfolk's young people while also improving my own mental and physical health.

I'm planning to keep a video diary of my experiences, talking about the journey itself, the people I meet along the way, and my own experiences of mental illness. If anyone else is interested in getting involved, don't hesitate to join the campaign; or if you're Norfolk-based and would like to ride a little way with me, just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out. Even if you can't spare any money, every share and retweet will help to raise awareness.

Links below:

JustGiving   Instagram   Facebook   YouTube   Twitter 

Cheers,
Matt (feedthewolf)

IMG-20200727-WA0015.jpg

All the best!

42 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Also, any tips for how to make your helmet fit more comfortably? Don't really have the money for a new one, so any advice would be gratefully received.

KY?

Day 1 complete! Rode 16.6 miles, and stopped off at a well-known local landmark for a vanity shot.

Just a reminder that every click, like, follow and RT helps to raise awareness without costing you a penny! 🙂

JustGiving   Instagram   Facebook   YouTube   Twitter 

I'm also hoping to do some podcasts and/or video interviews later in the month with people from the local community who are involved in mental health and/or have experienced mental health problems.

143008920_WhatsAppImage2020-08-01at11_12_47.thumb.jpeg.7d3df0c83bc8fc225c4ab3a2f8319602.jpeg

• Like 3

On 31/07/2020 at 08:06, Crabbycanary3 said:

Also, any tips for how to make your helmet fit more comfortably?

Looser cycling shorts?

Best line on here for weeks. 

27 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Best line on here for weeks. 

Haha totally! Had missed that first time around 🙂

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are you on strava @Feedthewolf ? I’ll follow you on there if you are

Yep, I'm syncing all my activity to the fundraising page at tiny.cc/colo500 🙂

Thanks everyone! Day 2 today, managed 18.8 miles but it was a LOT harder. Had a bit of a headwind on the outward leg, and honestly felt like stopping before the halfway mark. Managed to keep myself going, though, and got a second wind around the 10-mile mark.

Popped into Evans Cycles in the city afterwards to get some chamois cream, and the manager there (Rob) recognised me from this forum and offered me a free bike check/service during the ride.

Rob said that he 'lurks' rather than posts on here, but if you're reading this, buddy, thanks a million!

Remember to follow me on Instagram at instagram.com/matcolo1980, and please share my fundraising page with your friends: tiny.cc/colo500.

CURRENT TOTAL: £1,475

• Like 1

Good work. If you need another energy boost as well as Dextro tablets, look at the Enervit range of products. Not cheap, but they certainly work.

They do a sports jelly in a pouch and there are two or three good bites in that. Take a chunk, reseal it, and if you're flagging a bit later on, take another chomp out of it. The orange ones actually taste pretty decent as far as energy products go.