Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Wolfie's charity 5,000-mile challenge

Hi folks. Firstly, I've cleared this with Pete Raven, and with Nutty from a PUPs perspective, and they're both happy for me to post it.

The Norfolk Community Foundation, in conjunction with former North Norfolk MP Sir Norman Lamb, are running a campaign during August to raise money for youth mental health in Norfolk. The EDP covered the story here yesterday, but the short version is that Sir Norman is encouraging people to club together throughout August and collectively walk, run or cycle 500 miles between them in and around Norfolk. Among the ambassadors for the campaign are Delia Smith, Christoph Zimmermann, Alex Tettey, Iwan Roberts, Jeremy Goss, Darren Eadie and Paul McVeigh.

As someone who has experienced mental health problems since my teens, this cause is extremely important to me. It's vital that we give our young people the best start in life; a lot of the time, when people turn 18 they are simply dropped by youth mental health services and passed on to adult services, where they often face long waiting lists before being able to resume any support or treatment.

As such, I have decided I'm going to have a crack at covering 500 miles all by myself; this would be a modest distance for an experienced road cyclist, but I have no experience of long-distance riding and I'm also clinically obese. I'm hoping that by completing this challenge I will be able to help Norfolk's young people while also improving my own mental and physical health.

I'm planning to keep a video diary of my experiences, talking about the journey itself, the people I meet along the way, and my own experiences of mental illness. If anyone else is interested in getting involved, don't hesitate to join the campaign; or if you're Norfolk-based and would like to ride a little way with me, just drop me a PM and we'll sort something out. Even if you can't spare any money, every share and retweet will help to raise awareness.

Links below:

JustGiving   Instagram   Facebook   YouTube   Twitter 

Cheers,
Matt (feedthewolf)

IMG-20200727-WA0015.jpg

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 11

Good luck, either you keep your bike very clean or it’s new ! Would be nice if a few of us on here could get together and ride with you

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

Donated! Good luck to you 

Many thanks! Much appreciated.

52 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Good luck, either you keep your bike very clean or it’s new ! Would be nice if a few of us on here could get together and ride with you

It's eight years old, but it hasn't exactly got a great deal of mileage on it! Hoping to put that right over the next few weeks 🙂

Get yourself a set of Gatorskin tyres if you haven't already. If you're tackling that sort of mileage there might be a puncture waiting for you.

Best of British to you.

I'm at the wrong end of the country, otherwise I'd have happily joined in for a bit. Did something similar back in 2013, but we played the first half of a football match on our local pitch, cycled 80 miles to St. Georges Park in Burton-on-Trent, then played the second half there to raise money for a charity that focused on sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Get yourself a set of Gatorskin tyres if you haven't already. If you're tackling that sort of mileage there might be a puncture waiting for you.

Best of British to you.

I'm at the wrong end of the country, otherwise I'd have happily joined in for a bit. Did something similar back in 2013, but we played the first half of a football match on our local pitch, cycled 80 miles to St. Georges Park in Burton-on-Trent, then played the second half there to raise money for a charity that focused on sudden arrhythmic death syndrome.

Thanks very much! I'm only doing it in small chunks, and I've just fitted new tyres that I believe are pretty durable, so fingers crossed on that front. I'll post the odd update on here if anyone's interested, but I don't want to take liberties with people's patience. The social media links are in the OP if anyone wants to get involved.

I'll pop a donation in at the start of next month when my main supplier pays me (self-employed translator here).

And if you want a cheap laugh at our antics from my previous post, my old team still has the photo gallery up!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oldboltoniansafc/albums/72157635048891189

Edited by TheGunnShow
Needed link, not photo

Haha, looks like there are quite a few characters in that team! If anyone sees me riding topless, they have my permission to take me out with a tranquiliser dart... 🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Great stuff Matt!

I donated and sent PUPpower👍

I'm out of reactions, Eddie, but that's really kind of you. I will take that PUP power, and use it to motivate myself to make sure I actually send my picks in next season! 😉

Donated FTW. Good luck! I only recently took up cycling a little bit during lockdown. I play football and tennis regularly but I found a 50 mile ride the other weekend quite an effort so kudos to you!

I hope your cycling shorts are WELL padded...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Donated FTW. Good luck! I only recently took up cycling a little bit during lockdown. I play football and tennis regularly but I found a 50 mile ride the other weekend quite an effort so kudos to you!

I hope your cycling shorts are WELL padded...

I think 50 miles in a day would probably kill me. It averages out at about 16 miles a day, but how that translates over an entire month remains to be seen. Thanks very much for your donation, mate - I've already raised more than half a Delia Out banner! 😄

Glad to help FTW.

Norman Lamb is one of life's good guys (even though he was a Lib Dem) and he's campaigned for mental health for a long time.  I hope the campaign achieves all its goals.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Done. I've suffered a bit myself in the near past,which explains why I'm a grumpy git most of the while. It's a tough tough world for youngsters at the moment so I'm happy to help.

I'm a keen road cyclist myself and actually enjoy the sport more than football if I'm honest. Great for the waistline and has the added bonus that the more miles you ride, the more cake you eat!

Anyway enjoy and well done!

Sadly not too close to my home County nowadays but good luck on your travels.  I’ve rather neglected my bike over the last month so will be getting some decent miles in myself over the coming weeks!

I'm out of reactions again, because so many people have been so, so generous with their words and deeds.

I'm off to get the bike tuned up in a bit, and then I'll head out on a short jaunt to test out the saddle position.

Just a reminder of the links again - I'd be especially grateful if people could follow my YouTube channel, as I'm having a bit of difficulty getting views so far. Additionally, if anyone happens to know any minor celebs or people with huge Twitter/Instagram followings, a little mention would go a long way! 🙂

JustGiving   Instagram   Facebook   YouTube   Twitter  

Top man Wolfie, very happy to support you!

A cause very close to my heart as my late father suffered poor mental health all his life. Well done you for actually getting on your bike and doing something to help.

As an aside, have you considered approaching Stephen Fry? He'd be a perfect fit for this and might help get you up to Col Sir Tom levels!

In my head when I read your posts, I saw someone who looked like Ricky VW. So a minor mental readjustment has just taken place! 

Donated and followed, the very best of luck.

• Like 1

It is great cause Wolfie. I suffered a bout of depression a few years ago brought on by work, did not like the chemical intervention but the associated counselling really helped. Thank goodness that discussing mental health is no longer a taboo subject and mental health issues are not seen as a weakness, particularly amongst males. I used to be a keen cyclist in my youth but the car and football took over. Eight years ago, when I turned 50 I bought myself a road bike, I bloody love that bike as I feel it got me back to looking after myself much better. As a gentleman who was just over 15st and of a certain age I would just say bite sized chunks, do what you can each day, do not be hard on yourself and just enjoy it. I do not  go as far these days but now off for a little bimble with the missus, but not on a road bike, just a gentle ride on a hybrid bike.. Have donated and will keep an eye on your progress..........

As you know, my dude, I have already donated but hopping on here to say good luck in your quest, once again! 

I'd also wholeheartedly endorse the cause and would encourage all to dig out a few pennies for the lad!

Big love, mate. @Feedthewolf

Take care on Friday as the heat and humidity will be very high.

Thanks so much, everybody! The bike is currently with The Bike Man, who has kindly agreed to service it overnight, sort out the gears and so forth.

The challenge starts on Saturday, so @sonyc, I will probably avoid doing anything on Friday... except maybe a barbecue 🙂

@Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB - thanks for sharing that. It's different for everyone; I still use the chemical assistance to manage my anxiety/depression, but I've been through so much talking therapy that I've pretty much learnt how to counsel myself these days.

@Fuzzar, I'll look into reaching Stephen Fry. Given his pre-eminent celebrity status and previous mental health struggles, I would be staggered if he wasn't one of the first people they approached when looking for ambassadors. I've been speaking with Sir Norman Lamb, though, and I'm sure he'd know how to contact him.

And thanks to each and every one of you who have donated, or liked, or shared, or just sent me messages on here. As with the PUPs, it's great to see happy-clappers, pant-wetters and even the fabled 'inner circle' all uniting for a common cause! 😛