Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Wessi signs for Cambridge

On a 1 year deal. Some of their fans on Twitter don't believe it to be a good signing.

At league two level his vision alone will destroy the league.

He's 38 now and has barely played any football since he left us over two years ago. Just six sub appearances for West Brom in the league, and five appearances (only two starts) for Newcastle Jets.

He may have the vision, but at his age you have to wonder if he still has the legs to cope. 

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He's 38 now and has barely played any football since he left us over two years ago. Just six sub appearances for West Brom in the league, and five appearances (only two starts) for Newcastle Jets.

He may have the vision, but at his age you have to wonder if he still has the legs to cope. 

That West Brom transfer still bemuses me.

I’d sign Wes at 68 just to mug off the youngsters. The guy is a freak, a one off, a once in a lifetime human being

32 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Should imagine Cambridge will have protected themselves against him getting crocked again, paying mainly for appearance etc. 

Interesting to see how it works out, hopefully he'll have a decent time. I like to see big names dropping down the leagues, more should do it. 

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Rubbish signing - he's useless at defending set pieces........................

He’s only 5’6”

This is a wonderful story. Wes just loves the game and wants to be involved as long as he can. He will have been on good money for years and a 1 year contract at Cambridge will not be life changing, its  a pity someone as talented as him and who loves the game so much has to pack up, he will be like one of the fit old boys at work who still turn out for the works team at 50

Put him in the hole, tell their midfielders to give him the ball at every opportunity, and hope his legs are still up for it.

Oh, and tell the striker to time his runs.

• Like 1

A friend of mine is a U's fan and he is delighted with Wessi joining them and rightly so! 

I might pop down to a game or 2 wearing a shirt with his face on. 

He'll just get whacked off the ball at every opportunity. He'll be playing with players who won't read his passes. He won't be a great coach because what he has is unique. I'm not sure he'll make much impact there.

On 28/07/2020 at 19:58, Yorkshire Canary said:

he will be like one of the fit old boys at work who still turn out for the works team at 50

I believe Cringleford vets are monitoring the situation 😁