Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Defenders needed- apply within

Am a little concerned that we are signing more young, slight, skilful midfielders whilst seemingly ignoring the elephant in the room for at least two seasons- our watery defence. I am convinced we over rate them individually. Klose has never been the same since injury and looks past it, Hanley is inquiry prone and has little by way of consistency. Godfrey is a great footballer but error prone at CB especially where positioning is concerned. I think we could do with one or two seasoned, experienced footballers. Perhaps from clubs going up. 

• Thanks 1

You do understand how a transfer window works right?

The crucial aspect being that deals are not done in positional or priority order. 

Just maybe the club are holding on prioritising and bidding until they know which defenders are sold? 

Well done for being yet another person whining about defenders. 

Why don't you stop until the transfer window shuts? 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 3

To be fair if we keep our existing players and they are fit, I doubt we need more. 
Some want it all ways round ie we must not sell our young talent Aaron’s, Lewis and Godfrey plus of course Krul, but at the same time we need to sign better defenders and a goalkeeper as the ones we have ( and those 4 played most of the games last year ) are not very good.

As much as I'd like us to replace Klose I think our 4 cbs are sorted, bar Godfrey getting a move.

People seem to forget about the two new defensive midfielders which should hopefully make us a lot more solid.

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Signed a defender yesterday mate

I can't believe these threads happen after every signing.

WHY HAVENT WE SIGNED SOMEONE IN THE POSITION WEVE NOT SIGNED ANYONE IN YET.

The uniqueness to this thread is we actually signed one yesterday like you say 😂

• Like 1

What we really need is experience defenders, who don't get injured, can defend corners using the zonal marking system, are good with their feet, don't get booked or sent off, can score from corners, will attend Fan Social nights, are good with sick children, don't waste time on social media and will deliver food parcels during a Pandemic.

I'd prefer them to be a Gemini. All of the defenders we've had who've been any good have been from that star sign.

😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Signed a defender yesterday mate

If I understand correctly,

1) Max

2) Byram 

3) Bali

So if Max goes then it will be Byram first choice and Bali as backup. 

That's not improving our defence. That's the status quo continuing into next season. 

The Transfer Business is not in full swing yet 

Wait until one of our 4 big Value youngsters get sold and we get some money in

then i imagine and hope we sign more experienced Defenders 

What have I missed?

I thought we had;

Max

Byram

Godfrey

Zimmerman

Hanley

Klose

Jamal

Sam M

Bali

2 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

What have I missed?

I thought we had;

Max

Byram

Godfrey

Zimmerman

Hanley

Klose

Jamal

Sam M

Bali

Clearly you missed the goals against column in the previous two seasons 

What we need is to defend better as a team, and sort ourselves in terms of set-pieces (both for and against); that may be with the current players or new, but conceding 120 goals in two seasons suggests something’s not quite been going to plan.  Hopefully getting guys like Sorensen in will be a big help.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I would think that there's a fair few low mileage and in decent nick Defenders on the Land Rover website.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wymondham Canaries said:

James Chester anyone? Experienced and a free transfer 

No way, had a terrible time at Stoke and not missed at Villa. Think he falls in the Klose bracket.

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

If I understand correctly,

1) Max

2) Byram 

3) Bali

So if Max goes then it will be Byram first choice and Bali as backup. 

That's not improving our defence. That's the status quo continuing into next season. 

Norwich’s current starting back 4 are;

Max-Zimmermann-Godfrey-Lewis. 

That doesn’t actually need improving for a tilt at the Championship. I’m sure the club have irons in the fire in regards to defenders, but until the future of existing players it better known it is hard to strike. 

While the club have said they will buy before they sale, I presume that means they will only finalise deals once they know who is being sold. 

The answer to every problem isn’t ‘buy a new player’. Individually Norwich’s first choice defenders are very good. But injuries and more structural issues meant too many goals have been conceded the previous seasons. Personally I think the key to conceding less lies with getting the midfield balance better - which is the area the club have done the most business. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Clearly you missed the goals against column in the previous two seasons 

If you think its possible to start the season with a better back four than;

Max Zim Ben Jamal

You are very, very deluded.

23 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

If you think its possible to start the season with a better back four than;

Max Zim Ben Jamal

You are very, very deluded.

From what I've seen and heard, McCallum might even be an upgrade on Lewis. Even if Jamal stays, I'm excited to see what McCallum brings to the party.

I think we need to get rid of Aarons though, because if I see his name spelled with an apostrophe one more time I think I'm going to kill someone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CDMullins said:

What have I missed?

I thought we had;

Max

Byram

Godfrey

Zimmerman

Hanley

Klose

Jamal

Sam M

Bali

Byram, Zimbo, Hanley and Klose are all very injury prone, Aarons, Lewis, and Godfrey are all possible departures this summer, Famewo did quite well whilst out on loan this season but he’s only played a few minutes for us, and I’m afraid I’m not entirely convinced about McCallum and Mumba as they’re yet to make a first team appearance for us

Just like others have said we need to look for experienced defenders who aren’t injury prone, preferably from a Championship or Premiership side and maybe in the age range of 23-28

4 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Byram, Zimbo, Hanley and Klose are all very injury prone, Aarons, Lewis, and Godfrey are all possible departures this summer, Famewo did quite well whilst out on loan this season but he’s only played a few minutes for us, and I’m afraid I’m not entirely convinced about McCallum and Mumba as they’re yet to make a first team appearance for us

Just like others have said we need to look for experienced defenders who aren’t injury prone, preferably from a Championship or Premiership side and maybe in the age range of 23-28

So just to confirm,

The defence that we went up with and now have a years Premier League experience, now arent good enough and are suddenly all injury prone?

And we should replace them all with better, not injury prone, players aged 23-28 from the Premier League which are really cheap if not free?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Am a little concerned that we are signing more young, slight, skilful midfielders whilst seemingly ignoring the elephant in the room for at least two seasons- our watery defence. I am convinced we over rate them individually. Klose has never been the same since injury and looks past it, Hanley is inquiry prone and has little by way of consistency. Godfrey is a great footballer but error prone at CB especially where positioning is concerned. I think we could do with one or two seasoned, experienced footballers. Perhaps from clubs going up. 

I'd like us to buy ca couple of good solid defenders but the problem isnt so much the players it's the coaching. 3 seasons now our defence has been poor, even in the promotion season.its fine if you still win games but being crap at defending lasts alot longer than being able to outscored the opposition 

You can't achieve anything in football if you can't defend. Admittedly we outscored teams in the championship but that doesn't last long.

I don't rate Klose, for a big lad he was bullied in the premiership and couldn't handle it. 

I think you need some big physical units in defence who can dish it out, we are too lightweight and we need to stop those easy crosses into our box

9 hours ago, CDMullins said:

So just to confirm,

The defence that we went up with and now have a years Premier League experience, now arent good enough and are suddenly all injury prone?

And we should replace them all with better, not injury prone, players aged 23-28 from the Premier League which are really cheap if not free?

If only being flippant was at all helpful. The poster you quoted is correct, Byram, Klose and Hanley all have historically poor injury records, and even Zimbo this season just gone. It is foolish to believe they’ll all be fit and available throughout next season. The poster is also right in that the 3 younger, less injury prone defenders have all been touted with moves away, and that leaves one academy youngster who made his senior debut this season for a few cameo minutes, and another who’d yet to kick a ball for us. I certainly don’t think it churlish to suggest we need a couple of reliable defensive additions, whether they cost money or not! Of course players of that age and quality will not be sub-£1m bargains, occasionally you have to spend to acquire quality. Hopefully we’ll see one of the youngsters sold for good money and those funds be wisely re-invested into defensive reinforcements ready for the gruelling Champs campaign ahead.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy

I wouldn’t say replace them all, maybe look at getting another CB as 3 of the 5 CBs as Hanley, Zimbo and Klose are injury prone, Godfrey is believed to be a possible target for a PL club, and and the only experience Famewo has is a short loan spell at an SPL club. If we do receive an offer for one of them though, we must replace with an experienced defender from a Championship/Premiership club who isn’t injury prone 

10 hours ago, CDMullins said:

So just to confirm,

I wouldn’t say replace them all, maybe look at getting another CB as 3 of the 5 CBs as Hanley, Zimbo and Klose are injury prone, Godfrey is believed to be a possible target for a PL club, and and the only experience Famewo has is a short loan spell at an SPL club. If we do receive an offer for one of them though, we must replace with an experienced defender from a Championship/Premiership club who isn’t injury prone

Why did Tettey have to partner Godfrey whilst Klose was suspended? - Hanley and Zimbo were both injured and I think it was down to Famewo being inexperienced and possibly still ineligible to play following his loan spell.

Klose and Zimbo were both injured in pre-season, made their season debuts in the League Cup, in which Klose only got injured again and didn’t come back until early summer, Zimbo got injured early on in the following game v West Ham and was out for about 1/2 the season in total, and I think Hanley was out for about 1/3 of the season 

Edited by HazzaJet

10 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

I’m afraid I’m not entirely convinced about McCallum and Mumba as they’re yet to make a first team appearance for us

Yes why haven't they played in the day they have been with the club? Farke obviously doesn't fancy them.

Klose, Hanley and Byram all have injury records + Championship is far more physical than Premiership and look out how easily we were out muscled this season

Weve played zonal marking for two seasons now, with Farke even admitting he plays this because he doesn't feel we have the players for man to man marking. And look at how many we've conceded last two seasons. Playing with current players mean we'll do so again and we'll leak, ship in and give more goals. 

Just because they've played in Premiership for a season doesn't mean they'll be better, stronger defenders this season.

They might be young and talented but as a back four, with Aarons, Lewis Godfrey and whoever is fit to partner Godfrey, but they've  has looked weak for two seasons now. We'll ship in many goals this season again for all the reasons above.

I'd be amazed if one or more of those mentioned don't go, but we desperately need so stronger, more physical defenders to sure up one of the leakiest defences we've ever had.  

While I agree that many of our problems have stemmed from the midfield not offering enough protection, we still have the issue of conceding too easily from crosses and you can't expect the midfielders to drop into the penalty box to mark players every time the ball gets played wide by the opposition. It doesn't matter which combination of our 4 CB's we play, we always struggle immensely at dealing with crosses, whether that's high floated or low across the ground, it always causes us chaos and it's such a cheap and relatively risk free way for the opposition to hurt us.

Particularly in the Championship where many teams don't play through the lines, they like to get the ball wide, get bodies in the box and then smash it in and hope for the best, this shouldn't cause good teams many problems but we can't defend these situations. This is an individual problem with all of our CB's and it's why we need new, experienced signings there. 

We need 5 first team quality CB's to account for injuries and incase Farke wants to play a 3. We currently have 4 and one of them will likely be sold this summer. I personally would be extremely disappointed if we don't make any signings at CB again this summer. 

13 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

No way, had a terrible time at Stoke and not missed at Villa. Think he falls in the Klose bracket.

I have many friends who are Villa fans. They were gutted when he left.