Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Soto has signed. Sorry if its a stupid question but

How come he can play in Germany yet can;t get a work permit to play in the UK?

I assume he will be loaned out for a season to qualify for a work permit.

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Because the UK has very different visa laws to Germany. 

He’ll only qualify for a work permit if he can start to play for the US senior team - which might be tough if he’s on loan to a 2nd division Dutch team. I think the club are hoping there will be a change to the work permit rules in the next year or so (Brexit and all that). 

Assume we’ll get the majority of his wages covered by the club he’s loaned out to? I’m a bit unsure on this one. Seems like a decent player to be signing in this way, but if there’s a chance he might not ever actually be able to play for us (and potential for us to be footing a wage bill at some point in the next three years for a player we can’t use), then I’m a bit sceptical. 

8 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Because the UK has very different visa laws to Germany. 

He’ll only qualify for a work permit if he can start to play for the US senior team - which might be tough if he’s on loan to a 2nd division Dutch team. I think the club are hoping there will be a change to the work permit rules in the next year or so (Brexit and all that). 

The USA are really keen on him and pre-vivid, was going to be called up for 2 games that they had arranged. Such a shame, as he would have had a much better chance of getting a work permit, should he have featured.

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The USA are really keen on him and pre-vivid, was going to be called up for 2 games that they had arranged. Such a shame, as he would have had a much better chance of getting a work permit, should he have featured.

Yeah, even with two friendly caps he wouldn't be close to meeting the requirements as set out by the FA to getting a work permit. But it seems players often get permits despite not meeting the criteria (it is a little bit of a dark art). I have a feeling we might never see Soto in a Norwich shirt, but as he has a high reputation and was available on a free, the club are potentially thinking he could make them a tidy profit in a years time. I'm sure a lot of MLS clubs would love to sign him.

• Like 3

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, even with two friendly caps he wouldn't be close to meeting the requirements as set out by the FA to getting a work permit. But it seems players often get permits despite not meeting the criteria (it is a little bit of a dark art). I have a feeling we might never see Soto in a Norwich shirt, but as he has a high reputation and was available on a free, the club are potentially thinking he could make them a tidy profit in a years time. I'm sure a lot of MLS clubs would love to sign him.

That’s the thinking with the majority of our players, hopefully he shines and gets back to bundesliga for a big big fee. I’m not too clued you on work permits, but I’m sure a few caps and a wager would certainly help. Interested to see this guy, he has had a lot of people backing him!

19 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

"Currently with Bundesliga 2 side Hannover, Soto is free to leave when his contract expires next month – and City have agreed a deal to sign him. However, it looks like he will have to be loaned out because he won’t have a work permit – the chance to get one lost when the coronavirus pandemic forced the cancellation of USA’s senior matches against the Netherlands and Wales in which he was due to feature."

45 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It's our new policy, Jim. Smith and Jones and Webber were running out of ways the annoy the h*ll out of you so I suggested signing players who can't actually play for the club...🤓

• Haha 9

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It's our new policy, Jim. Smith and Jones and Webber were running out of ways the annoy the h*ll out of you so I suggested signing players who can't actually play for the club...🤓

I understand that this signing was very much based upon a strong recommendation from Tom Smith. He's been spending a lot of time with our scouting team with a view to becoming more "hands on" and this is a player he identified early on during that period. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

I understand that this signing was very much based upon a strong recommendation from Tom Smith. He's been spending a lot of time with our scouting team with a view to becoming more "hands on" and this is a player he identified early on during that period. 

Ah! that explains why Uncle Fred, whose balanced judgment is so widely respected, has started singing Tom Smith's praises. I knew there had to be a well-founded reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bill said:

"Currently with Bundesliga 2 side Hannover, Soto is free to leave when his contract expires next month – and City have agreed a deal to sign him. However, it looks like he will have to be loaned out because he won’t have a work permit – the chance to get one lost when the coronavirus pandemic forced the cancellation of USA’s senior matches against the Netherlands and Wales in which he was due to feature."

So a free transfer, wages probably covered by loan club (maybe a small loan fee could contribute to any shortfall if they aren't paying 100%) and taking a chance that he may get a work permit down the line.

Minimal risk, possible benefit, happy with that 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bill said:

Haha yeah, just read it on the site. Couldn’t recall what the matches were, just knew he was on the fringes. I think they will give him a shot, whatever league he is playing in. Just needs to get a good run of games.

Seems to be a signing of an uninjured player.  What is going on.  We can't play him oh I forgot

2 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Is this still the “annoy the hell out of Jim Smith“ concept?

I’ve just thought - Jim Smith - Tom Smith. Coincidence? I think we should be told. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As the transfer window doesn't close until October, presumably the squad registration window will be open until then as well. There's an international break (possibly two depending when the window closes) before then, and given how things are going in the US I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see them pick an entirely foreign-based squad if they arrange any friendlies to avoid quarantine issues. It's therefore not inconceivable Soto might get a cap and possible eligibility for a work permit before registration closes... Could be that he goes out on an initial 2 or 3 month loan to the Netherlands to get his fitness levels up and hopefully do enough for an international call-up.