Bill

Bournemouth - a silly little club

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

£41m.

My post was intended to point out that they've actually lost two key players.

Are , who is the other ?

Sounds as if they are losing their four best players. Ryan Fraser downed tools for whatever reason well before the season ended, Callum Wilson and Josh King will be moving on in big money moves. Nathan Ake is in demand and seems bound for Manchester City. 

I love Bournemouth. Fabulous place, and a club which has been a joy to watch for all but the finale of their PL stay. Total rebuild of the team now required, plus a manager who will have an impossibly hard act to follow. 

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Aren't we also concerned about losing our best players?

Yes, but this is in effect a refutation of the claim made yesterday by one of the Ultra Miserabilists (who disappears when things are going well and only surfaces at bad times) that Bournemouth would not have to sell any of their star players.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, but I think our situation is different. 1) We know that this club has a conveyor belt of talent. Talent does leave and we are well set up for replacing it. 2) A number of these players joined Bournemouth because they were in the Premiership, ours were at the club before and possibly more engrained in the club itself. 3) We haven't lost our manager so we were already working on next season well before the end of this season, that preparation has stalled at Bournemouth without the coaching team in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

No, they can be replaced

Their value is based on the potential..... age, nationality ie few miles on the clock

There is no financial need to sell, as with B'mouth,. And it could be that any sale would be better in January when their replacements have had time to work with our coaches. We will also know what is needed to continue a promotion challenge

And that is it in the nub.

One club is in control of its finances, is well into preparation for next season and beyond .... the other isn't (and that is being generous).

Bournemouth are in a materially stronger financial position than we are. Let’s not forget we’re no more than a £20m external debt from administration. Bournemouth’s owners could comfortably live with debts of ten times that. Hence, the need for new investment into the club.

On 28/07/2020 at 15:25, birchfest said:

Could be in a spot of bother or could be one of the strongest outfits, I guess its how much of the current first team there they can hold onto and how long their billionaire owner will be willing to keep them above water with the debt in a way that doesn't break the rules. 

On 28/07/2020 at 00:32, Bill said:

One of these that are held up to normal folk as having 'hambition'..... or spending way beyond their means, as it is otherwise known

June 2109 their accounts stated that they had a wage bill of £111m against an income of £130m, with around 4% of that from ticket sales

They owed £76m in transfer payment instalments and having the 4th highest paid director in the PL.

However, having a relatively tiny ground the still averaged around 800 empty seats per match

The plan to build a super duper training ground has been quietly shelved, as has the idea of a new and far bigger stadium. In fact the club does not own its own stadium.

They will have to sell to make up the £60m shortfall in TV/bonus money this coming season - and it could be that ever so nice young master Howe heads off into the sunset along with his dinosaur coaching staff.

such sad news ....................😁

On 28/07/2020 at 00:32, Bill said:

One of these that are held up to normal folk as having 'hambition'..... or spending way beyond their means, as it is otherwise known

June 2109 their accounts stated that they had a wage bill of £111m against an income of £130m, with around 4% of that from ticket sales

They owed £76m in transfer payment instalments and having the 4th highest paid director in the PL.

However, having a relatively tiny ground the still averaged around 800 empty seats per match

The plan to build a super duper training ground has been quietly shelved, as has the idea of a new and far bigger stadium. In fact the club does not own its own stadium.

They will have to sell to make up the £60m shortfall in TV/bonus money this coming season - and it could be that ever so nice young master Howe heads off into the sunset along with his dinosaur coaching staff.

such sad news ....................😁

Hello! I thought I'd correct a few misconceptions since they tend to get repeated.

All home games were sold out. There were zero home tickets unsold for the entirety of our Premier League stay. I'm not trying to make that sound impressive because it isn't when we're talking about around 11k in attendance. Historically we used to report number of people in attendance at the ground (you know... the attendance) rather than tickets sold. I'm not sure if that continued during the Premier League stay but there weren't any tickets to buy. I can assure as someone who regularly got contacted by 'I've been a fan for 30 years but can't get a ticket please can you help' type people. Strangely, they never got in touch with me before the Premier League jaunt to come and see a match with me but I digress.

We do indeed owe a lot of money in transfer fees. Of course, £40 million up front in one limp and not spread over his contract, which was the deal as negotiated, for Ake will make a huge difference to that. Getting it done so early also puts us in a good position when negotiating other sales. King and C Wilson will likely be off and for depressed valuations but, for example, there's a lot of interest in Brooks and teams will have to pay through the nose to get him now.

The training ground hasn't been shelved. Work stopped during the lockdown and hasn't resumed yet but all the machinery is still on site. There's been no news either way as to what will happen and so unless you're claiming to have inside knowledge that no AFCB fan has you're just making stuff up to suit your narrative. It would be a bit strange to lash out a huge sum on the land and preparing to being close to ready only to then abandon it completely. It was always a phased development so perhaps they'll go ahead with the first team section, which was phase one, and put the rest on hold for now. That's guessing though, time will tell.

The club not owning the stadium is a historical thing back to long before this regime. There's a very long and involved story there and I won't bore you with it. The short version is that when we got promoted the stadium owners (actually we still own about 20% of it so they can't do anything with the land without us) hiked up the price to buy it back from about £10m to £30m. We told them where to go whilst we worked on resolving some of the other problems. The stadium ownership is still on the to do list but is far down on the priorities as there were/are so much else to sort first.

We'll have to sell some players to make up the shortfall in tv money. Well, yes. That isn't exactly a unique situation.

I'm not getting the dinosaur coaching staff reference if I'm honest. It's almost the opposite complaint from our fans, that they're too green and inexperienced.

On 28/07/2020 at 15:25, birchfest said:

Could be in a spot of bother or could be one of the strongest outfits, I guess its how much of the current first team there they can hold onto and how long their billionaire owner will be willing to keep them above water with the debt in a way that doesn't break the rules. 

Ahh, the old billionaire owner that nobody has every actually proven is a billionaire. Wealthy, absolutely. No more so than the vast majority of owners of Premier League clubs. Less so in fact. I seem to recall a table showing him as the second least wealthy owner a while back. No idea where he will be in the Championship.

On 28/07/2020 at 16:08, Bill said:

That’s because you do not have the same thoughts as football fans

Bournemouth cheated their way into the PL by ignoring FFP

The fickle fans fill the ground when the 'big boys' come to town.....only then

If they can' rustle up 11,000 fans then they don't deserve to be in the PL - and don't presume your hypocrisy is shared by others

I do enjoy the classics. Was FFP breached? Yes. However, what did the Football League say about it? Let's see:

"...the EFL acknowledges that the club did not make any deliberate attempt to infringe the Rules or to deceive."

I may be wrong but I don't believe the EFL have made any similar statement about any other club. Now, I can explain why they said that in a way that you wouldn't like and probably won't accept but I'd like to hear your take on why the EFL said that. Please enlighten me.

I know the way people like to portray it is that the club went on a spending frenzy that dwarfed the rest of the league meaning promotion was inevitable but it doesn't really match up with the EFL's words. Or reality.

Also, as I said above, there were no home tickets unsold for any Premier League match.

1 hour ago, Will Dance For Chocolate said:

Hello! I thought I'd correct a few misconceptions since they tend to get repeated.

All home games were sold out. There were zero home tickets unsold for the entirety of our Premier League stay. I'm not trying to make that sound impressive because it isn't when we're talking about around 11k in attendance. Historically we used to report number of people in attendance at the ground (you know... the attendance) rather than tickets sold. I'm not sure if that continued during the Premier League stay but there weren't any tickets to buy. I can assure as someone who regularly got contacted by 'I've been a fan for 30 years but can't get a ticket please can you help' type people. Strangely, they never got in touch with me before the Premier League jaunt to come and see a match with me but I digress.

We do indeed owe a lot of money in transfer fees. Of course, £40 million up front in one limp and not spread over his contract, which was the deal as negotiated, for Ake will make a huge difference to that. Getting it done so early also puts us in a good position when negotiating other sales. King and C Wilson will likely be off and for depressed valuations but, for example, there's a lot of interest in Brooks and teams will have to pay through the nose to get him now.

The training ground hasn't been shelved. Work stopped during the lockdown and hasn't resumed yet but all the machinery is still on site. There's been no news either way as to what will happen and so unless you're claiming to have inside knowledge that no AFCB fan has you're just making stuff up to suit your narrative. It would be a bit strange to lash out a huge sum on the land and preparing to being close to ready only to then abandon it completely. It was always a phased development so perhaps they'll go ahead with the first team section, which was phase one, and put the rest on hold for now. That's guessing though, time will tell.

The club not owning the stadium is a historical thing back to long before this regime. There's a very long and involved story there and I won't bore you with it. The short version is that when we got promoted the stadium owners (actually we still own about 20% of it so they can't do anything with the land without us) hiked up the price to buy it back from about £10m to £30m. We told them where to go whilst we worked on resolving some of the other problems. The stadium ownership is still on the to do list but is far down on the priorities as there were/are so much else to sort first.

We'll have to sell some players to make up the shortfall in tv money. Well, yes. That isn't exactly a unique situation.

I'm not getting the dinosaur coaching staff reference if I'm honest. It's almost the opposite complaint from our fans, that they're too green and inexperienced.

Ahh, the old billionaire owner that nobody has every actually proven is a billionaire. Wealthy, absolutely. No more so than the vast majority of owners of Premier League clubs. Less so in fact. I seem to recall a table showing him as the second least wealthy owner a while back. No idea where he will be in the Championship.

I do enjoy the classics. Was FFP breached? Yes. However, what did the Football League say about it? Let's see:

"...the EFL acknowledges that the club did not make any deliberate attempt to infringe the Rules or to deceive."

I may be wrong but I don't believe the EFL have made any similar statement about any other club. Now, I can explain why they said that in a way that you wouldn't like and probably won't accept but I'd like to hear your take on why the EFL said that. Please enlighten me.

I know the way people like to portray it is that the club went on a spending frenzy that dwarfed the rest of the league meaning promotion was inevitable but it doesn't really match up with the EFL's words. Or reality.

Also, as I said above, there were no home tickets unsold for any Premier League match.

Thank you. It is good to get an informed response to the unnecessary Bournemouth bashing.

AFCB is wholly owned by AFC Bournemouth Enterprises Ltd ....offshore company Max Demin

They do not own the ground as it was sold to David Pearlman - with no evidence of any supposed "0% ownership by the club. Which means it is not an asset to be set against debt. Nor is it of any size so as to raise noticeable revenue via ticket sales

The training ground has ceased work, yet most building work is restarted elsewhere. Plant is often left on site rather than returning it, only then to have to move it elsewhere

It matters little whether a transfer fee is 'upfront' or staged payment. It is the amount still owed - which was £79 net June 2019.

Money lent to the club by Demin is in loans, not equity, so he can have first call on any transfer income

The wage bill is staggeringly high and will need a large number of the high earning playing staff to be shifted to meet their Championship income

And their backroom staff is a;most to a man made up with Eddie's old playing mates - hence dinosaurs. Even the recruitment is/was done by his nephew. Without outstanding results from Liverpool 🙄

24 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Thank you. It is good to get an informed response to the unnecessary Bournemouth bashing.

shame it wasn't correct

and if pointing what is correct is 'bashing' 

then you have a rather odd take on reality

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will Dance For Chocolate said:

Hello WDFC,

I wouldn't worry too much about what Bill posts - a lot of the Norwich supporters on here have him on 'ignore' themselves, including myself. The only reason I can even see his posts is because you've quoted them.

He's the kind of person you would have crossed the road to avoid even prior to lockdown...

All the best for next season - just make sure you finish below us! 👍

OTBC

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello WDFC,

I wouldn't worry too much about what Bill posts - a lot of the Norwich supporters on here have him on 'ignore' themselves, including myself. The only reason I can even see his posts is because you've quoted them.

He's the kind of person you would have crossed the road to avoid even prior to lockdown...

OTBC

Or in reality the above is just another troll who only pops up to have a go at me,

and during these frequent broken cuckoo clock squawks, never seems able to refute a word of what I have said

still it does keep him occupied, if only remembering to stay in character 🙄

ps I am never sure whether I should feel flattered that his time on here  mostly seems spent on me...... or slightly concerned

1 hour ago, Bill said:

AFCB is wholly owned by AFC Bournemouth Enterprises Ltd ....offshore company Max Demin

They do not own the ground as it was sold to David Pearlman - with no evidence of any supposed "0% ownership by the club. Which means it is not an asset to be set against debt. Nor is it of any size so as to raise noticeable revenue via ticket sales

The training ground has ceased work, yet most building work is restarted elsewhere. Plant is often left on site rather than returning it, only then to have to move it elsewhere

It matters little whether a transfer fee is 'upfront' or staged payment. It is the amount still owed - which was £79 net June 2019.

Money lent to the club by Demin is in loans, not equity, so he can have first call on any transfer income

The wage bill is staggeringly high and will need a large number of the high earning playing staff to be shifted to meet their Championship income

And their backroom staff is a;most to a man made up with Eddie's old playing mates - hence dinosaurs. Even the recruitment is/was done by his nephew. Without outstanding results from Liverpool 🙄

As I said, they still own about 20% of the land. From the penalty spot of the south stand end through to the the edge of the footprint. That's how we were able to build the current first team training facilities there a few years back without the landlord getting involved. Or why it has been included as part of the, currently loosely sketched for good but complicated reasons, land swap with the council for the new stadium plans. That's really complicated to get into but it's a fact that the club still have a slice of the land which would prevent the owners from doing anything else with it once the lease expires in about ten years without our cooperation. A sensible precaution.

'most building work is restarted elsewhere'. So not all of has restarted then.

It does matter if it's paid up front as it relieves cashflow. Now, there are ways to unlock the full value of a transfer through financing companies, as Sheff Utd did two years ago when we sold them Brooks or as we did last year when we sold Mings. The problem there is you lose a chunk of that fee that you likely don't want to. So getting it all up front means we have no immediate cash flow issue and no need to lose any of it to a financing company.

Money lent to the club by Demin is loans so he can maintain absolute control over what happens to the club. The guy has been with us for quite a number of years now and has shown no intent yet to suddenly withdraw large sums. It could happen, but that can happen with fans that are owners as well. He can convert that debt to equity if he so chooses at some point in the future but more likely it will be used as part of the sale price when he eventually does want out.

The wage bill is large and will require reduction. Fortunately, despite some initially incorrect but soon amended reports, everyone in the squad had a relegation reduction clause in their contract apart from one player. That player was Ake who has now been sold, taking his wages off the wage bill entirely. That's at least 25% off the bill plus the Ake wage. Then these players are all out of contract: Boruc, Defoe, Fraser, B Smith, Francis, Daniels and Surman. The first four are definitely gone and, in likelihood, the others as well but lets see what the new manager wants.

As I said before, more players will be sold. Josh King and Callum Wilson are almost certain to leave for different reasons but that will lop a big sum off the wage bill total. There's no doubt work needs to be done but it isn't the dire scenario you paint.

Weird use of dinosaurs which would normally indicate someone with outdated methods but ok.

Oh yes, Andy Howe. How dare we employ someone that's been working as a scout since they were 21. Great interview with him here: https://www.scoutedftbl.com/post/interview-andy-howe

Actually though, Richard Hughes is the man who really heads up the recruitment team. Andy Howe is under him. There have been some mistakes in recruitment but generally they've been doing a very good job. If we hadn't been absolutely hammered by injuries this season (bringing on a seventh choice centre back v Liverpool due to injuries for example) I'm reasonably confident we'd have picked up at least one more point. That isn't to say it's the only reason we got relegated, I'm not that blue eyed, but the squad is in good shape and even if we lose the aforementioned players I still think we're in a good place with the team.

1 hour ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello WDFC,

OTBC

Cheers. I think it's going to be an interesting battle. We genuinely could go either way. A lot will depend on who is appointed as the new manager as there's a good squad in place but if the wrong man takes charge we could plummet. Hopefully they get the right person and we battle each other at the top all season long. I suspect you're in a very strong position for the year ahead.

Edited by Will Dance For Chocolate

13 hours ago, Will Dance For Chocolate said:

The wage bill is large and will require reduction. Fortunately, despite some initially incorrect but soon amended reports, everyone in the squad had a relegation reduction clause in their contract apart from one player. That player was Ake who has now been sold, taking his wages off the wage bill entirely. That's at least 25% off the bill plus the Ake wage. Then these players are all out of contract: Boruc, Defoe, Fraser, B Smith, Francis, Daniels and Surman. The first four are definitely gone and, in likelihood, the others as well but lets see what the new manager wants.

As I said before, more players will be sold. Josh King and Callum Wilson are almost certain to leave for different reasons but that will lop a big sum off the wage bill total. There's no doubt work needs to be done but it isn't the dire scenario you paint.

The obvious question is how much of a relegation wage cut for your players. With us, apparently, it is 50 cent across the board, and supposedly the same for many Watford players – apart from some of their stars, whose wages are protected as they are.

Presumably you can add Harry Wilson to that list of players now off the books as far as wages go. According to Wiki you have offloaded 19 players (presumably some youngsters on very low wages) and loaned out two more for the whole season.

And if you’re right that King and Callum Wilson will also be sold then that overall is quite a loss, and so far (mainly for the obvious reason) not one new signing (at a tangent if you had our kind of set-up with a sporting director and a head coach then the SD could potentially have started to sign players irrespective of who the coach was going to be).

I notice there were no signings in January, either to try to stay in the Premier League or alternatively prepare for a next season in the Championship. A guess would be because the wage bill was already so high it could not be increased.

If so then that may indicate how much you are going to be limited in plugging the gaps in the squad. From the outside it looks as if while ‘dire’ may be too strong then the euphemistic ‘extremely challenging’ would be a fair assessment.

14 hours ago, Will Dance For Chocolate said:

That isn't to say it's the only reason we got relegated, I'm not that blue eyed, but the squad is in good shape and even if we lose the aforementioned players I still think we're in a good place with the team.

Really? Because if you lose all those players you've listed that doesn't leave you with much of a team at all! Certainly not one to be challenging for promotion.

• Like 1

So it does now appear things aren't as rosy as first was claimed.

It will be interesting to see what the club's wage bill was at the end of June 2020 and what was still owed in transfer payments.

And similarly it will be interesting to see whether the virus is being blamed for the abandoning of the £35m training ground - and the pitiful sized crowds will not warrant even a thought of a new stadium

My point about non ownership of the stadium still remains valid. It is not an asset, irrespective of what might happen to it,

And as to whether Demin might wish to convert his loans into equity, why did he not advance the money as equity when the club was riding high ? Why on earth would he do that now ?

The sell off will be far greater than is being thought, as if the wage cut are as high as is claimed players will easily be tempted away.... back to the PL. And with a club with a high wage bill and huge sums owed there will be every incentive to reduce those debts where ever possible.

Which rather sums up my first post - AFCB's position in the PL has been prolonged at the cost of running up huge debts that now have to be paid, with the consequence that so many other PL clubs have found.

On 06/08/2020 at 19:01, ricardo said:

They can't fool you Billy

cos he's too busy fooling himself. WDFC  gave a reasonable and seemingly unbiased informed answer. Personally I don't like Eddie Howe, not sure why other than he seems to me to be a Thunderbird puppet come to life...very unnerving. As for Bournemouth, I wish them luck, though not enough to finish above us. Decent footballing team from a provincial backwater, just run differently from us ...thats their issue but as usual Bilious knows best, apart from all the things he gets spectacularly wrong. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

cos he's too busy fooling himself. WDFC  gave a reasonable and seemingly unbiased informed answer. Personally I don't like Eddie Howe, not sure why other than he seems to me to be a Thunderbird puppet come to life...very unnerving. As for Bournemouth, I wish them luck, though not enough to finish above us. Decent footballing team from a provincial backwater, just run differently from us ...thats their issue but as usual Bilious knows best, apart from all the things he gets spectacularly wrong. 

or incorrect, as is known elsewhere

making assumptions is fine, but when they are based on false information then they are worthless, as the cherry boy's guff has shown

but good to see you ensuring some of us can guess at who you really are

ps feel free to tell me where my figures (and facts) are wrong - as the first are from AFCB accounts, and the rest from Mostyn

Bournemouth and Watford have many similarities in that they have been established PL clubs for 5 seasons or more. This probably means most of the signings that they have made over the last few seasons will not have relegation clauses and many of the players will consider themselves established PL players. Both sides at the start of the season will not have thought they would have finished up getting relegated whilst we probably did. this is the big difference. They need to shift their high earners on, many of their better players will want to move. Both clubs unless they are very fortunate face severe financial challenges due to high wage bills despite good fees for outgoing players, both will be fortunate to bounce straight back. when the parachute payments run out, if they have not been promoted or bankrolled by rich owners they will be in crisis

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

or incorrect, as is known elsewhere

making assumptions is fine, but when they are based on false information then they are worthless, as the cherry boy's guff has shown

but good to see you ensuring some of us can guess at who you really are

ps feel free to tell me where my figures (and facts) are wrong - as the first are from AFCB accounts, and the rest from Mostyn

You know exactly where and when you have royally ferked up in your ridiculous paranoid accusations.  The Bournemouth debate is exactly that, a debate, just as the debate as to whether or not our  club is being run well. Fair play to WDFC for seeing some positives in what is a sticky situation for any Club, and not being a pant wetter. Or in your case a pant wetter by proxy.

I am me, always have been and always will be, never posted under any other name, your little obsession detracts from you being objective, a major handicap to your ' know it first , know it ,all know it best' attitude. I can only apologise for not giving you more attention, I strongly feel that you revel in it, but then I dont give much attention to  houseflies, I  brush them away without a second thought. Though housefies dont lie, maybe to each other, I dont speak Houseflyese , though I suspect you are probay an expert in that too. 

oh dear

still at least the absence of your being able to refute my figures or even attempt to defend the cherry boys claims does rather back what I have said

as to being right it would seem to be absurd posting up something you knew was wrong

so in this case, as with others. I checked the AFCB accounts and much else first - they ran counter what was being bandied about re their chances in the coming season, and also provided an excellent counterpoint to the 'hambition' numpties' on here

your strop seems to come from that fact (I thought it worthy of checking first) - and if you use names, and take the same approach as hand crank..... then don't be surprised when ............

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

and take the same approach as hand crank..... then don't be surprised when....

You jump to ludicrous accusations. Your research is often interesting, the conclusions you draw are not so much. You obviously havent done much on VW and I , or if you did, your mind was made up before you started them, which kinda defeats the object, accept the fact you are wrong on this and wrong about alcoholism, thievery and France. Shouldnt be so tough for a bright spark like yourself. It takes  more than paranoid suspicion to prove a point. Would love to see EVIDENCE that we are one in the same ...as it doesnt exist. Bath time for me now, had enough of entertaining your drivel.