Jump to content
Bill

Bournemouth - a silly little club

Recommended Posts

One of these that are held up to normal folk as having 'hambition'..... or spending way beyond their means, as it is otherwise known

June 2109 their accounts stated that they had a wage bill of £111m against an income of £130m, with around 4% of that from ticket sales

They owed £76m in transfer payment instalments and having the 4th highest paid director in the PL.

However, having a relatively tiny ground the still averaged around 800 empty seats per match

The plan to build a super duper training ground has been quietly shelved, as has the idea of a new and far bigger stadium. In fact the club does not own its own stadium.

They will have to sell to make up the £60m shortfall in TV/bonus money this coming season - and it could be that ever so nice young master Howe heads off into the sunset along with his dinosaur coaching staff.

such sad news ....................😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Managed something we don’t seem to achieve by staying in the EPL for 5 seasons

Wish we could even manage a second season occasionally 
 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daly said:

Managed something we don’t seem to achieve by staying in the EPL for 5 seasons

Wish we could even manage a second season occasionally 
 

let's see at what cost

then we can judge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, daly said:

Managed something we don’t seem to achieve by staying in the EPL for 5 seasons

Wish we could even manage a second season occasionally 
 

 

 

We did. Under Lambert/Hughton we stayed 3 seasons. That not occasional?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be in a spot of bother or could be one of the strongest outfits, I guess its how much of the current first team there they can hold onto and how long their billionaire owner will be willing to keep them above water with the debt in a way that doesn't break the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Could be in a spot of bother or could be one of the strongest outfits, I guess its how much of the current first team there they can hold onto and how long their billionaire owner will be willing to keep them above water with the debt in a way that doesn't break the rules. 

Yes - there's the rub. Everything depends upon one man, currently living abroad I understand, retains his interest in supporting his club with more tens of millions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Bill said:

One of these that are held up to normal folk as having 'hambition'..... or spending way beyond their means, as it is otherwise known

June 2109 their accounts stated that they had a wage bill of £111m against an income of £130m, with around 4% of that from ticket sales

They owed £76m in transfer payment instalments and having the 4th highest paid director in the PL.

However, having a relatively tiny ground the still averaged around 800 empty seats per match

The plan to build a super duper training ground has been quietly shelved, as has the idea of a new and far bigger stadium. In fact the club does not own its own stadium.

They will have to sell to make up the £60m shortfall in TV/bonus money this coming season - and it could be that ever so nice young master Howe heads off into the sunset along with his dinosaur coaching staff.

such sad news ....................😁

 

Not sure why some people feel it necessary to revel in the forthcoming misery of any set of opposition fans really, when the majority of supporters of any club are just normal decent people - even that lot down the road. 

Particularly at a club like Bournemouth where they are real fans, who actually go and watch the football, their failure to fill 800 seats suggests they didn't suffer an influx of Johnny come lately's, or have already shed them, so that's one positive to come out of all of this for them. I suppose Southampton hoovered up all the fickles and armchair graduates a few years before they won promotion. 

Only set of fans to come on here spouting nonsense this season have been Brighton. 

I suppose if your projected doomsday scenario did happen and a homeless and bankrupt Bournemouth did go under, you'd suddenly pretend this post never happened and you'd be expressing your deepest sympathy to the distraught fans? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, daly said:

Managed something we don’t seem to achieve by staying in the EPL for 5 seasons

Wish we could even manage a second season occasionally 
 

 

 

I'm not that fussed by the 'achievement' of retaining PL status for 5 seasons. Unless its going to coincide with going for a cup win, it feels pretty meaningless. Give me promotion and relegation fights regularly, something to really get behind

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Could be in a spot of bother or could be one of the strongest outfits, I guess its how much of the current first team there they can hold onto and how long their billionaire owner will be willing to keep them above water with the debt in a way that doesn't break the rules. 

FFP wont be in play due to Covid though will it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

 

Not sure why some people feel it necessary to revel in the forthcoming misery of any set of opposition fans really, when the majority of supporters of any club are just normal decent people - even that lot down the road. 

Particularly at a club like Bournemouth where they are real fans, who actually go and watch the football, their failure to fill 800 seats suggests they didn't suffer an influx of Johnny come lately's, or have already shed them, so that's one positive to come out of all of this for them. I suppose Southampton hoovered up all the fickles and armchair graduates a few years before they won promotion. 

Only set of fans to come on here spouting nonsense this season have been Brighton. 

I suppose if your projected doomsday scenario did happen and a homeless and bankrupt Bournemouth did go under, you'd suddenly pretend this post never happened and you'd be expressing your deepest sympathy to the distraught fans? 

That’s because you do not have the same thoughts as football fans

Bournemouth cheated their way into the PL by ignoring FFP

The fickle fans fill the ground when the 'big boys' come to town.....only then

If they can' rustle up 11,000 fans then they don't deserve to be in the PL - and don't presume your hypocrisy is shared by others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bill said:

That’s because you do not have the same thoughts as football fans

Bournemouth cheated their way into the PL by ignoring FFP

The fickle fans fill the ground when the 'big boys' come to town.....only then

If they can' rustle up 11,000 fans then they don't deserve to be in the PL - and don't presume your hypocrisy is shared by others

Fancy being so bitter and miserable that you find a reason to hate Bournemouth 😆

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not that fussed by the 'achievement' of retaining PL status for 5 seasons. Unless its going to coincide with going for a cup win, it feels pretty meaningless. Give me promotion and relegation fights regularly, something to really get behind

'relegation fights'  

Have we ever fought relegation?

95 - Fell like a stone from a healthy Christmas position. 

2004 - had a go, then when it really mattered got thumped 6-0 at Fulham. 

2009 - Awful football, and two good hammerings at Ipswich and Charlton when we needed a result. 

2014 - Lost 6 of last 7. 

2016 Lost 6 of the last 7. 

2020 Lost the 10 in a row, scoring 1 goal. 

We've never shown the stomach for it. Certainly has never been anything to get behind. I get the point regarding promotion, and to counter the abysmal stats above, we do seem to cope with the pressure of getting over the line in a promotion race. But I don't get all the anti-premier league stuff. Seems like sour grapes, or empty words to try and comfort. 

I want to see Norwich in the EPL every season, regardless of final position. Hopefully one day we can get there and be in a position to make ourselves competitive. 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

'relegation fights'  

Have we ever fought relegation?

95 - Fell like a stone from very healthy Christmas position. 

2004 - had a go, then when it really mattered got thumped 6-0 at Fulham. 

2009 - Awful football, and two good hammerings at Ipswich and Charlton when we needed a result. 

2014 - Lost 6 of last 7. 

2016 Lost 6 of the last 7. 

2020 Lost the 10 in a row, scoring 1 goal. 

We've never shown the stomach for it. Certainly has never been anything to get behind. I get the point regarding promotion, and to counter the abysmal stats above, we do seem to cope with the pressure of getting over the line in a promotion race. But I don't get all the anti-premier league stuff. Seems like sour grapes, or empty words to try and comfort. 

I want to see Norwich in the EPL every season, regardless of final position. Hopefully one day we can get there and be in a position to make ourselves competitive. 

Not being antagonistic, just genuinely curious, but do you go to matches regularly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To add, put our set of 'run in' results from our last three EPL relegations together; 

Played 22 

Won 1 

Drawn 1 

Lost 20 

Scored - very few 

Conceded - a boat load 

Edited by Il Pirata
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not being antagonistic, just genuinely curious, but do you go to matches regularly?

About 10 a season. Mostly away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

About 10 a season. Mostly away. 

I got that impression. Don't get me wrong, limp relegations do hurt but those season you mentioned were still enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way. There's a lot of gallows humour en route to the ground and within the stadium, you still look at the league table and imagine the results you need to stay up and, despite how improbable, you start to believe it could happen. They're far from dull in the way that boring, mid-table finishes of the like we became accustomed to between 1995 and 2000. Pre-lockdown I was enjoying this season far more than Chris Hughton's 11th place PL finish, for instance.

Also, I think you're being a bit harsh including the 2005 (not 04, that was another amazing season) relegation. The last game will inevitably overshadow everything, but April was absolutely rip-roaring, Dean Ashton starting to show his best, a famous win versus United, Safri's wonder-goal, a devastating, topsy-turvy defeat versus Southampton, raging as that cheating pr*ck Andy Johnson denied us our first away win of the season with a blatant dive. It's seared into the memory. Had that no-show at Fulham been different it would have been considered one of the PL's greatest ever escapes. It was absolutely not a dull, fightless relegation that season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

I got that impression. Don't get me wrong, limp relegations do hurt but those season you mentioned were still enjoyable in a masochistic kind of way. There's a lot of gallows humour en route to the ground and within the stadium, you still look at the league table and imagine the results you need to stay up and, despite how improbable, you start to believe it could happen. They're far from dull in the way that boring, mid-table finishes of the like we became accustomed to between 1995 and 2000. Pre-lockdown I was enjoying this season far more than Chris Hughton's 11th place PL finish, for instance.

Also, I think you're being a bit harsh including the 2005 (not 04, that was another amazing season) relegation. The last game will inevitably overshadow everything, but April was absolutely rip-roaring, Dean Ashton starting to show his best, a famous win versus United, Safri's wonder-goal, a devastating, topsy-turvy defeat versus Southampton, raging as that cheating pr*ck Andy Johnson denied us our first away win of the season with a blatant dive. It's seared into the memory. Had that no-show at Fulham been different it would have been considered one of the PL's greatest ever escapes. It was absolutely not a dull, fightless relegation that season.

I did mention we had a go in 2005, but yeah I've undersold it. It was a fantastic end to the season - but that Fulham result was so bad  it overshadows it. But you have rekindled some joyous memories there!

Norwich have provided some fantastic promotion seasons - and I can't recall one Leeds style bottle job. We always seem to get over the line and finish the job off. But relegation battles, we're the opposite. Heading towards Easter in a relegation battle, there's only one outcome! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, daly said:

Managed something we don’t seem to achieve by staying in the EPL for 5 seasons

Wish we could even manage a second season occasionally 
 

 

 

Wish is the right word. That is all we can hope for. We went down the road of spending and that didn't work. Do we risk it again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2020 at 16:44, Il Pirata said:

I did mention we had a go in 2005, but yeah I've undersold it. It was a fantastic end to the season - but that Fulham result was so bad  it overshadows it. But you have rekindled some joyous memories there!

Norwich have provided some fantastic promotion seasons - and I can't recall one Leeds style bottle job. We always seem to get over the line and finish the job off. But relegation battles, we're the opposite. Heading towards Easter in a relegation battle, there's only one outcome! 

 

Difficult to argue with that. I just have some macabre preference to enduring a toothless relegation battle over a season winding down to an inevitable mid-table finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 22:32, Bill said:

One of these that are held up to normal folk as having 'hambition'..... or spending way beyond their means, as it is otherwise known

June 2109 their accounts stated that they had a wage bill of £111m against an income of £130m, with around 4% of that from ticket sales

They owed £76m in transfer payment instalments and having the 4th highest paid director in the PL.

However, having a relatively tiny ground the still averaged around 800 empty seats per match

The plan to build a super duper training ground has been quietly shelved, as has the idea of a new and far bigger stadium. In fact the club does not own its own stadium.

They will have to sell to make up the £60m shortfall in TV/bonus money this coming season - and it could be that ever so nice young master Howe heads off into the sunset along with his dinosaur coaching staff.

such sad news ....................😁

spot on again Bill 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bill said:

spot on again Bill 😇

Any chance of next week's lottery numbers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you confuse reasoned deduction with chance

 

and if the games had not been played, as some once had, the ever so nice Eddie might well have still been in his job

..... if only they had listened to you 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

To clarify -

In debt terms, Bournemouth are owed transfer fees of only £5m, which is all due to the club in 2020.

In contrast, Bournemouth owe a huge £81m in transfer fees, of which £32m is due in 2020

Bournemouth’s wage bill rose from £102m to £111m (9%)

This £40m cash injection led to debt rising from £69m to £100m (45%),

 

Their TV income was £116m in 2019 and likely to be around £96m this year

so with the first parachute payment being £46m they will face a loss of income of around £50m in TV money alone

 

It will mean a number of hefty player sales (income), and a massive cutting back on the wage bill -the latter being something us (and many others) have found is not always an easy task

 

https://financialfootballnews.com/afc-bournemouth-2019-finances-costly-survival/

Edited by Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bournemouth’s owners can provide the necessary investment for the club to compete for an extended period in the PL. Equally, they will be able to comfortably manage the transition between leagues rather than having to dispose of key playing assets to generate sufficient cash to pay player wages. Sadly, we look set to become Leeds’ feeder club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highland Canary and Paul Moy back. What joys this forum brings us.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Highland Canary and Paul Moy back. What joys this forum brings us.

What coincidence

though I suspect JOOLS absurd lie that he attended a concert around 1967/68 might have something to do with it

best to ignore both, as neither contribute anything other than a constant affirmation of their stupidity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Bournemouth’s owners can provide the necessary investment for the club to compete for an extended period in the PL. Equally, they will be able to comfortably manage the transition between leagues rather than having to dispose of key playing assets to generate sufficient cash to pay player wages. Sadly, we look set to become Leeds’ feeder club.

Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Highland Canary said:

Bournemouth’s owners can provide the necessary investment for the club to compete for an extended period in the PL. Equally, they will be able to comfortably manage the transition between leagues rather than having to dispose of key playing assets to generate sufficient cash to pay player wages. Sadly, we look set to become Leeds’ feeder club.

I mean, they've already lost their best player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...