Sign in to follow this  
Paul Hayes

Games taped off BBC Radio Norfolk

Hello all,

I wondered whether I could ask for a bit of help, please?

I'm a producer at BBC Radio Norfolk, and I'm currently working on some programmes to celebrate our 40th anniversary in September. Obviously an important part of our output down the decades has been the Norwich City coverage, and I'm planning to devote some time in at least one of the programmes to tell the story of some of this.

Given the nature of the technology of the time, the archives are rather sparse when it comes to broadcasts from our early years on the air. Thanks to the generosity of some former members of staff and a Norwich fan who kindly offered up some tapes, I have gathered some nice material from the early 80s, and obviously the late 90s onwards are fairly well-represented in the archives we hold.

But I wonder if any of you have any old cassettes of Radio Norfolk coverage of Norwich games you or a friend or family member taped off the radio back in the day? If so, I'd love to hear from you - especially if you have anything from the late 80s or early-to-mid 90s, which are VERY thin on the ground.

Anything at all from any time in the 80s or 90s would be great though - and I can give you a digital copy of what's on the tapes in return. (As well as sending you the tapes back, of course!) If you have any tapes you'd be willing to lend, please do email me via paul.hayes@bbc.co.uk.

(Of course, any Radio Norfolk tapes you have even if they're non-football would be of interest, too!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this, anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

Edited by Paul Hayes

Don't do it! It's a trap!

The BBC Radio Norfolk jalopy needs replacing and next season there will be more games and miles to go on the clock.

Anyone who submits a tape will immediately be issued with a summons for breach of copyright, once these case have been 'settled' Chris & Rob will be driving off to all of the away games in a shiny new motor.

😁

• Like 1

That's exactly what I thought.

Years of being told that taping the radio was illegal (before torrents came along), and now the cheeky ****s find those tapes useful 😆

Can still remember trying to stop the tape at the exact right moments during the top 40 chart to not get the presenters voice, then the ****s started ending the songs early to make this difficult. 

But no OP, I don't have anything interesting, haven't owned a cassette tape or cassette player for probably 20 years and I'm too young for your desired timeframe.

Is this included? If not, it really must be...

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 2

Wish I could help but haven’t lived in Norwich for 45 years so wasn’t listening in and wouldn’t have been recording it anyway.

I remember back in the early 90’s there was no away commentary for some games, just updates, and it was dear old Roy Waller doing the home fixtures.

I expect someone, somewhere will unearth something in an attic while clearing out dear old Grandad’s house or maybe something unlikely will turn up like a lost TV tape propping open a cattle shed door in Kuala Lumpur or some such.

Yes, there wasn't full live commentary on every game home and away until later in the 1990s.

In the early days we still, as with the rest of the BBC, weren't usually allowed to do full commentaries on the games we did do, only second halves, as the clubs and the football authorities had long felt that full commentaries would impact on attendances.

I probably won't have Barry, but there might be Canary Call clip or two. On the tapes I've already been sent there's some nice proto-Canary Call stuff from our earliest weeks on-air, with Justin Fashanu and John Bond in for phone-ins the morning after games. Also the 1982 promotion parade which is nice, and various early comms - including the Christmas 1982 derby with O'Neil's late free kick winner. ("Look at that!" says Roy).

But as I say, more are always very welcome!

I’ve not lived in the Fine City for 30-odd years now, since I left to go to University in Surrey (should’ve gone to UEA!), so sadly can’t help....and, sadly, nowadays when I can’t go I don’t even get to listen via the internet any more.
When I left, there wasn’t actually full commentary from away games - I recall one game at Villa being told we’d gone one down (it was disallowed), switched to R5 or equivalent to be told we’d gone one up...!

Edited by Branston Pickle

On 28/07/2020 at 23:08, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve not lived in the Fine City for 30-odd years now, since I left to go to University in Surrey (should’ve gone to UEA!), so sadly can’t help....and, sadly, nowadays when I can’t go I don’t even get to listen via the internet any more.
When I left, there wasn’t actually full commentary from away games - I recall one game at Villa being told we’d gone one down (it was disallowed), switched to R5 or equivalent to be told we’d gone one up...!

Yes, particularly in the first decade on-air especially it seems there would only usually be second half away commentary on crucial games, rather than as a matter of course, with updates being the usual order of the day.