Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

Bali Mumba

He's playing for Man Utd in 2024 on my Football Manager 2019 game and they are managed by Zidane, who I think knows a little bit more than you naysayers. 

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

If it's easy, why has Farke refused to do it?

Ask him. Or Lakeyo, only they know how his mind works. Next.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Number9 said:

So what changes would you suggest to stop goals being conceded -

a) in open play

b) at set pieces 

If we're honest, it's been an issue, what do you suggest?

Better anticipation, better co-ordination of defenders. Better covering by MF. If we've won the ball back in defence DO NOT lose it again - if no other option , then row Z it is. Jamal is one of the worst offenders for this (due to lack of experience of clever PL players I think - he could play his way out it in the Champs), but they can all be guilty of misjudging the situation.

15 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Better anticipation, better co-ordination of defenders. Better covering by MF. If we've won the ball back in defence DO NOT lose it again - if no other option , then row Z it is. Jamal is one of the worst offenders for this (due to lack of experience of clever PL players I think - he could play his way out it in the Champs), but they can all be guilty of misjudging the situation.

How do you achieve this?

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

We've tried that model past two seasons and have failed miserably to defend. Why buy someone else to do the same thing?

The fullbacks and wingers were practically switching at times in the season we went up. It worked to great effect (going forward). It hasn’t so much this season, as they have been too scared to get as far forward. The inability to defend was obvious, but the style was a joy to watch going forwards.

Fundamentally @Number9, we've struggled to defend set pieces because we haven't had enough tall players thus there have been mismatches requiring us to mark zonal to stand any chance of dealing with the fact most teams had taller players than us.

However the mismatch with other teams hasn't been in fullback positions. Due to injury we've rarely had our more physical and aerial combative central defenders fit (zimmerman and hanley), we certainly need more height in central midfield (Sorensen already an example of us trying to rectify this) and possibly in forward areas too.

So im really not getting your point. Most teams now tend to opt for this style of fullback if they can.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

How do you achieve this?

Having CBs who can form a partnership would be a huge step. That's why the constant disruption by injury was such a problem this season; CBs have to have confidence in each other & know exactly where the other will be. That only comes with time & experience (plus they have to have the attributes obviously). I do think Farke should have instilled a bit of humility in the players in the sense that there is no shame in getting rid of the ball when there's no other option; knowing when that is is a skill in itself. 

In the Champs it wasn't such a problem. Our football was superior to most of the opposition & also we got punished for mistakes much less often. If we did, well we'd just go up their end & stick another one in😁.

• Like 1

Some sites have him listed as 5ft 9". 

Regardless, I'd trust our scouting team and his numerous England age group call ups over something so ridiculously binary.

Interesting article on the Sunderland fan blog about Bali Mumba’s exit.

He is described as “future club captain” and “jewel of the academy”. Clearly well thought of up there, but probably more anger at the mismanagement of the player and the contract to let such a prospect go so cheap.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2020/7/29/21336886/fan-letters-from-dortmund-model-to-sports-direct-model-bali-mumba-sale-reaction

2 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Interesting article on the Sunderland fan blog about Bali Mumba’s exit.

He is described as “future club captain” and “jewel of the academy”. Clearly well thought of up there, but probably more anger at the mismanagement of the player and the contract to let such a prospect go so cheap.

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2020/7/29/21336886/fan-letters-from-dortmund-model-to-sports-direct-model-bali-mumba-sale-reaction

Sounds promising !

why ever did Sunderland not play him in the first team and get him happy to stay  

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Sounds promising !

why ever did Sunderland not play him in the first team and get him happy to stay  

Because their manager wants to go with experienced players and doesn't give youth much of a chance. 

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Sounds promising !

Certainly odd he was shipped off to South Shields if he was well thought of. Seems like he wasn’t trusted to do well in his position and get them promoted. And he’s had a look with how we trust academy players to jump into the first team. He’ll no doubt want to become the next Max Aarons. We should let Max go (for a big fee of course) to encourage more young talent to move to our academy for this reason. 

On 27/07/2020 at 18:44, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Where has the 5ft 3 come from? 

Only thing I’ve seen about his height says he is 5ft 9. 

If you rub him he grows

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WD40 said:

Certainly odd he was shipped off to South Shields if he was well thought of. Seems like he wasn’t trusted to do well in his position and get them promoted. And he’s had a look with how we trust academy players to jump into the first team. He’ll no doubt want to become the next Max Aarons. We should let Max go (for a big fee of course) to encourage more young talent to move to our academy for this reason. 

I've asked a Sunderland fan about this and his answer was that the manager decided to play players who had some L1 experience (he used the term 'cloggers') and Bali wasn't considered to fit the plan.

He went to South Shields as thats where he's from. They wanted him to play games and (it's assumed that) he didn't want to move far from his home as it was meant to be temporary and he still had ambitition to play for Sunderland (he's been there since he was a very young kid).

My friend says he thinks he'll need to 'toughen up' a bit but is good enough to make it.

On 28/07/2020 at 13:17, Rolf Harris said:

image.png.56416542cd506b2d62559fe3a46e71ad.png

They have done a bit of Tom Cruise trickery to get him the right height in this shot!

Look at his feet, he is floating in air! 😉

2 hours ago, hepphep said:

Look at his feet, he is floating in air! 😉

I thought the same thing! Going to bamboozle the opposition!

Edited by Nuff Said

On 27/07/2020 at 20:37, Number9 said:

I respect your opinion and sensible comments. 

I tend to include the full backs in defence, especially at set pieces. Farke has made an excuse for defending set pieces by saying that our lads aren't very tall, almost saying 'how can you expect them to defend when they're so small' so he acknowledges it's a problem yet we sign a full back who will perpetuate the problem. 

It's madness to keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results. 

Trying to isolate our fullbacks in the air was a tactic used very successfully by any number of our opponents this season - especially Sheffield Utd, Wolves, and Spurs as well as the likes of Burnley and Palace. It's a pretty standard thing if you have a decent striker.

The trick is to ensure they can't do it - we weren't very good at that.