Sign in to follow this  
Coneys Knee

Bali Mumba

good signing English to replace a English Player leaving , 

No problem with this Transfer young player no costing the earth hardly a gamble as back up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daly said:

Pushing the boat out again

Yeah he'd be a better signing if he cost £10m instead

24 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Ashley Cole was 5ft 8.

Ancient history, it's a different game now.

Lots of things Ashley Cole did are not advisable these days. 

3 minutes ago, Tired said:

Yeah he'd be a better signing if he cost £10m instead

We will have to spend money in different areas selling Aarons for 20 million ( just say ) and signing Mumba for 350 k 

unless we spend it we will just be paying a large amount of tax i am sure it will be spent somewhere 

24 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

If that's the case , how come he is attracting any interest. His value in not in defending set pieces, its in what he offers going forward, most top teams will have enough 6' plus players to allow the odd shorty.  He is also incredibly fit and , to quote a recent stick to beat Farke with  ' he finds covering ground , for 90+ mins no problem'. If you cant see that , why discuss modern football?

Ps if he was 6'3" he'd be worth more. 

We've tried that model past two seasons and have failed miserably to defend. Why buy someone else to do the same thing?

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Daniel Alves 5' 7"

Jordi  Alba 5' 6"

Dani Carvajal 5' 7"

Marcelo 5' 7"

Roberto Carlos 5' 6"

Danny Rose 5' 7"

Paul Parker 5' 6"

Chris Hughton 5' 6"

Many shorter full backs over the years - speed and mobility the key requirements.

Over the years and Barcelona. 

Think NCFC in 2020, the games different now, Farke has to catch up or we're just going to continue to fail.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We've tried that model past two seasons and have failed miserably to defend. Why buy someone else to do the same thing?

Attacking full backs were also key to Norwich's promotion.

You don't need to have 6ft+ full backs to be good at defending corners. It is much more important they are good at the thing they will be doing 98% of the time on the pitch, which is getting up and down the wings to provide width. A full back who can attack, defend and is over 6ft is someone like Kyle Walker or Wan-Bissaka (they cost a little more than Norwich can afford right now).

Mumba is an England youth international who made he debut at 16 - Norwich have just signed him for less than a £1m - I doubt we will see any other current England youth players move for that little amount of money this window.

Sorensen has been brought in to provide height - most teams full backs are the shortest players in their teams anyway.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

good signing English to replace a English Player leaving , 

No problem with this Transfer young player no costing the earth hardly a gamble as back up 

One thing we can do is find a bargin

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

You don't need to have 6ft+ full backs to be good at defending corners. It is much more important they are good at the thing they will be doing 98% of the time on the pitch, which is getting up and down the wings to provide width. A full back who can attack, defend and is over 6ft is someone like Kyle Walker or Wan-Bissaka (they cost a little more than Norwich can afford right now).

Mumba is an England youth international who made he debut at 16 - Norwich have just signed him for less than a £1m - I doubt we will see any other current England youth players move for that little amount of money this window.

Sorensen has been brought in to provide height - most teams full backs are the shortest players in their teams anyway.

I don’t get this height thing issue! As they should be up against wingers who themselves aren’t notoriously tall! As long as he is fast, can tackle, block and cross a decent ball I I’ll be very content!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I don’t get this height thing issue! As they should be up against wingers who themselves aren’t notoriously tall! As long as he is fast, can tackle, block and cross a decent ball I I’ll be very content!

He might have a spring like a salmon ! 

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I respect your opinion and sensible comments. 

I tend to include the full backs in defence, especially at set pieces. Farke has made an excuse for defending set pieces by saying that our lads aren't very tall, almost saying 'how can you expect them to defend when they're so small' so he acknowledges it's a problem yet we sign a full back who will perpetuate the problem. 

It's madness to keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results. 

26 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Because theres a massive difference between 20million ,if we get that, which I doubt but it'll be a shoiteload more than the 1.1 million weve shelled on Byram and Mumba combined,  are you starting to get the idea? The other players we have signed so far are of decent size / pace. Develop, sell ,spend, improve. Steadily, with setbacks , just like real life.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Because theres a massive difference between 20million ,if we get that, which I doubt but it'll be a shoiteload more than the 1.1 million weve shelled on Byram and Mumba combined,  are you starting to get the idea? The other players we have signed so far are of decent size / pace. Develop, sell ,spend, improve. Steadily, with setbacks , just like real life.

Additionally you don’t need to be tall to defend corners, you need to be strong enough to block and put off attacking players.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I respect your opinion and sensible comments. 

I tend to include the full backs in defence, especially at set pieces. Farke has made an excuse for defending set pieces by saying that our lads aren't very tall, almost saying 'how can you expect them to defend when they're so small' so he acknowledges it's a problem yet we sign a full back who will perpetuate the problem. 

It's madness to keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results. 

But "doing the same thing" in the championship would be winning the league with nearly 100 goals and 100 points..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But "doing the same thing" in the championship would be winning the league with nearly 100 goals and 100 points..

And Byrams taller than Mumba. 

1 minute ago, Darth Canary1 said:

That doesn't count hoggy, last year was pure luck.

Oh yeah, apologies 😀

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

History shows that we did that, and Pukki had a freak season. 

It also includes the small matter of us conceding goals heavily during that season and this.

Record breaking in all the wrong ways. 

Just now, Number9 said:

It also includes the small matter of us conceding goals heavily during that season and this.

Stuck record. Boring. Ignore.

• Like 1

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Stuck record. Boring. Ignore.

You so funny, makes me wonder if you watch any matches we play or if you'd like to see our players improve to their full potential. 

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You do know right backs play right back! He’s not a central defender! What’s your beef with his height? Tall players can’t head a ball, just look at Steipermann, he’s one of our tallest players and can’t head for toffees!

7 minutes ago, Number9 said:

You so funny, makes me wonder if you watch any matches we play or if you'd like to see our players improve to their full potential. 

Hardly missed one in last few years.  Love watching players develop. Was involved in player development for 10  years , so much more interested in that than being able to shout  ' weve spent a shoiteloud on an oven ready Billy Big Bollix.

Edited by wcorkcanary

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hardly missed one in last few years.  Love watching players develop. Was involved in player development for 10  years , so much more interested in that than being able to shout  ' weve spent a shoiteloud on an oven ready Billy Big Bollix.

So what changes would you suggest to stop goals being conceded -

a) in open play

b) at set pieces 

If we're honest, it's been an issue, what do you suggest?

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

You do know right backs play right back! He’s not a central defender! What’s your beef with his height? Tall players can’t head a ball, just look at Steipermann, he’s one of our tallest players and can’t head for toffees!

We have heard Farke using the players height as an excuse  / reason why they can't defend set pieces. 

Just surprised we're buying another in the similar mold to the existing ones who have struggled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

So what changes would you suggest to stop goals being conceded -

a) in open play

b) at set pieces 

If we're honest, it's been an issue, what do you suggest

1) keep the ball better

2) man mark the 'danger men'. 

Easy.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

5'9" isn't very short for a full-back. Maybe a touch smaller than average?

If he's good enough, he's tall enough. 😉 

• Like 1

Just now, Number9 said:

We have heard Farke using the players height as an excuse  / reason why they can't defend set pieces. 

Just surprised we're buying another in the similar mold to the existing ones who have struggled. 

I appreciate your concern, but this lad is rather highly rated in his position, as is McCullum the other side, we’ve done pretty well to get both for 4 million pounds. As I said wing backs don’t have to be tall to be good at defending corners, just strong and clever.

As for Farkes comments indeed, and in Sorensen who can defend and Sitti who’s 6ft we’ve sort of addressed this height with defensive midfielders to better support our decent CB pairings. We’ve struggled in this area as McClean and Trybull/Tettey or whichever combo just didn’t work.

Lets wait and see how we start next season before we moan too much. 👍🍻

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

1) keep the ball better

2) man mark the 'danger men'. 

Easy.

If it's easy, why has Farke refused to do it?

Just now, Number9 said:

If it's easy, why has Farke refused to do it?

That’s a good question, I played as CB in the Anglian combination for man years, I was always coached to attack the ball, and each other players were to pick up the attacking players based upon size and threat. 
I always thought zonal marking was meant for the four defenders to attack the ball if it ones into your area, not to stand and watch!

But fundamentals of zonal marking is the two CB attack the ball while the rest of the players pick up any runners. We don’t appear to do either! But again we’ve been very poor in central midfield, Tettey the exception and no coincidence that before lockdown we improved while Tettey was outstanding!