Jump to content
cambridgeshire canary

Slaven Bilic says he wont replicate our approach to recruitment, claiming we 'haven't even tried anything'

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, komakino said:

Norwich City contempt for the PL has been widely condemned this season - and rightly so. 

There is no pressure from the top downwards, because the owners don't like the PL as they made clear in the infamous Times article. There is no pressure from there fans either, because many appear to be glad we are back in The Championship. Have we the most unambitious fans in Europe, because we have the most unambitious owners in Europe? 

Norwich City is the model of failure which no club will repeat. 

I feel some pride in the idea that we were showing contempt for the PL. I don't think that we were, but if others think we were then good. The PL is worthy of contempt.

Another positive to have come out of this season.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear in my haste to use what was probably one of the most memorable things about Roeder’s time here (that, and the “new heroes” comment). I completely agree with you but I have (again) run out of reactions.

Ha ha, he was good for a soundbite that's sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I feel some pride in the idea that we were showing contempt for the PL. I don't think that we were, but if others think we were then good. The PL is worthy of contempt.

Another positive to have come out of this season.

Another Positive? What positives have there been? 

Statistically we have been one of the worst sides ever to grace the Top-Tier. It has been embarrassing. 

I'm not mad on the league and the Championship is a tad more honest, but it is where the best players are to be enjoyed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ian said:

Great post, and one that reinforces my disdain for the average supporter who believes we are a "laughing stock".

On that point, did you actually have an argument relevant to this thread, or are you just going to continue with your endless list of ad-hominems? You are clearly so vastly superior to other posters on this thread I am surprised you're not in the position of running a professional football club yourself.

I respect your right to oppose my viewpoint, a shame you clearly do not respect my right to my viewpoint. Are you a woke riddled snowflake by any chance and wish me to be ‘cancelled’?

A  thread asks the question as to whether the board is on thin ice. Clearly they are not as most supporters happily accept whatever they are given without thought rather like doughy dumplings. Those that do think this season was an utter embarrassment are a minority yet pundits in the media and a manager of International pedigree such as Bilic hold this view too. The facts of this season are painful to record and being the fifth worst performing club in PL history is something the board should, rightly, be held to account for. The club is often said to be well managed fiscally yet twice in the recent past it has come very close to going into administration which suggests the board are not so sound in their fiscal affairs as some would believe. So much for ad-hominems.

Edited by Crafty Canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I respect your right to oppose my viewpoint, a shame you clearly do not respect my right to my viewpoint. Are you a woke riddled snowflake by any chance and wish me to be ‘cancelled’?

Well, this took a sudden turn...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

I respect your right to oppose my viewpoint, a shame you clearly do not respect my right to my viewpoint. Are you a woke riddled snowflake by any chance and wish me to be ‘cancelled’?

A  thread asks the question as to whether the board is on thin ice. Clearly they are not as most supporters happily accept whatever they are given without thought rather like doughy dumplings. Those that do think this season was an utter embarrassment are a minority yet pundits in the media and a manager of International pedigree such as Bilic hold this view too. The facts of this season are painful to record and being the fifth worst performing club in PL history is something the board should, rightly, be held to account for. The club is often said to be well managed fiscally yet twice in the recent past it has come very close to going into administration which suggests the board are not so sound in their fiscal affairs as some would believe. So much for ad-hominems.

Do you? You've been name-calling throughout this thread. "Dumpling" being a rather pathetic one, but name-calling all the same.

Oh, I hadn't even noticed you'd followed up with the 'snowflake' argument.

 

Edited by hogesar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps we should send Bilic a copy of NCFC's "The Project".....That'll certainly shut him up and no doubt Bilic will then plagiarise our "The Project" and accelerate the 'Project' process and when the Baggies finish in the top ten of the Prem he'll crow from the Hawthorns stand rooftops....telling all and sundry that success was all down to him and his 'Project'...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, we tried to do more than 'nothing.'

We signed Roberts, Drmic, Farhmann Amadou and Byram.

If they had all made and improved our first XI, then fair enough. But all they turned out to be was squad fillers. 

I doubt that Webber anticipated they would just be squad fillers. I think he hoped they would improve our actual first choice XI. He turned out to be badly wrong.

So you could say it was a failure of recruitment and scouting, rather than lack of ambition. The scouts and Webber were probably caught a bit off guard, getting promoted from nowhere. On paper you can see how lots of these signings might have looked like they would improve our first team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just about the money. It was abject failure- not even trying at times, stubborness and arrogance when anyone- pundit, journalist or fan- dared to question what Farke was trying to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

You are Waveney and I claim my £5.

OK if that's what you like to think, but I'm not. Bilic is still right though - just my opinion of course 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ian said:

Exactly, it's just lazy thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I am as disappointed with how this season panned out as anyone. But we are where we are, had we spent 40/50 million we may be in the same place but with a vastly greater set of problems given where we are as a club. It's very easy to criticise and correlate directly in hindsight, but could you imagine the reaction on here had we bought a few Naismith's, but were still fcked by injuries and VAR and went down anyway?

Or do people genuinely believe that spending an additional 30/40/50/60 million would really have solved all the problems with our squad? I just don't see that spending that much on 2/3 players would have made much of a difference overall.

This^^^   It seems to me the same people who are complaining about lack of spending now would be the ones that would be complaining if we spent 30-40m and went down, saying we did not spend enough or well enough. 

We could have been in exactly the same position as three years ago, going down with a squad of expensive players with big wages and any money from parachute payments would be paying for those wages for the failure of those expensive players to deliver. 

We would be back to square one of three years ago, in debt, huge wages, no prospects for buying players and risk of going deeply into debt. In other words a road to nowhere. 

Is that really what people want??  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Billic is nothing to us and what people outside the club and it's fans is irrelevant.  They can say what they like. 

So you will just stick to yellow & green tinted opinions and ignore every one else around?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

So you will just stick to yellow & green tinted opinions and ignore every one else around?! 

I will stick to opinions of people who should know what is happening, rather than pundits, opposing managers and people who are always against the club out of prejudice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always told that as long as you do the absolute best you can then that's fine.

So, did we do the absolute best we could have done.

No we did not and by a country mile.

There was never any intention of trying to be competitive this season because trying to be competitive might have cost us a few bob, and we can't have that, can we?

Not sure why people, especially Smith and Jones, are always criticising the EPL because it's only about having money and then they get fully behind a Club that only ever had the intention of getting relegated and trousering the Parachute Payments.

Just so we can have another go at winning the Championship and then doing exactly the same thing the season after.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

I was always told that as long as you do the absolute best you can then that's fine.

So, did we do the absolute best we could have done.

No we did not and by a country mile.

There was never any intention of trying to be competitive this season because trying to be competitive might have cost us a few bob, and we can't have that, can we?

Not sure why people, especially Smith and Jones, are always criticising the EPL because it's only about having money and then they get fully behind a Club that only ever had the intention of getting relegated and trousering the Parachute Payments.

Just so we can have another go at winning the Championship and then doing exactly the same thing the season after.

 

 

Best post so far. 👍👍👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Guff, more like.

Our majority shareholders distain for the EPL is well known and in the public domain. Ask any journalist you choose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SplatCat said:

I mean, we tried to do more than 'nothing.'

We signed Roberts, Drmic, Farhmann Amadou and Byram.

If they had all made and improved our first XI, then fair enough. But all they turned out to be was squad fillers. 

I doubt that Webber anticipated they would just be squad fillers. I think he hoped they would improve our actual first choice XI. He turned out to be badly wrong.

So you could say it was a failure of recruitment and scouting, rather than lack of ambition. The scouts and Webber were probably caught a bit off guard, getting promoted from nowhere. On paper you can see how lots of these signings might have looked like they would improve our first team. 

I think this is a good reflection and a lot of people on this forum were positive about these signings on paper at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it hasn’t worked at all resulting in a painful season and all the usual over-reaction both sides.

I personally was more disappointed with the lack of investment at Xmas when despite it all we weren’t miles adrift. Duda and Rupp just didn’t make any type of difference and the fact we spent £3m on the future at that stage was a little odd given the position. I’m not saying Mccullum wasn’t a good signing but that it was pretty clear we needed a centre half who could header and a more physical midfielder. Could we have got them, who knows?

overall I’m supportive of the model the club has in place as it’s really the only one you can do when you have no money and don’t want to risk the financial standing. Like a few others I am also not opposed to different owners if someone genuinely wanted to invest in NCFC. 

Edited by Big O

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Do you? You've been name-calling throughout this thread. "Dumpling" being a rather pathetic one, but name-calling all the same.

Oh, I hadn't even noticed you'd followed up with the 'snowflake' argument.

 

I assumed "Dumping" was a reference to me because of my avatar.

I'm proud to be associated with that avatar.🙃👍

 

Edited by nutty nigel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Guff, more like.

😂👍 Just sometimes this forum is brilliant......our David Ike, resident lecturer in the power of fans positive thinking, will get you into the top four of the premiership.........posting guff..... I really love all you guys brilliant forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I will stick to opinions of people who should know what is happening, rather than pundits, opposing managers and people who are always against the club out of prejudice.

 

It doesn’t make what they do right though. The club has nearly gone into administration twice through somebodies methods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It doesn’t make what they do right though. The club has nearly gone into administration twice through somebodies methods!

How near is nearly?

1996 is the nearest I remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

How near is nearly?

1996 is the nearest I remember.

How have you forgotten Bowkett intervention? Call it as it was.......😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indy said:

How have you forgotten Bowkett intervention? Call it as it was.......😉

Bowkett intervention? I thought he was the club chairman negotiating with the bank? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

How near is nearly?

1996 is the nearest I remember.

Relegation to league one, there is a mcnally interview on how close we were and if Maddison wasn’t sold, the club would be on the brink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, king canary said:

Are you a woke riddled snowflake by any chance and wish me to be ‘cancelled’?

Sorry - could you translate this to English?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The club has nearly gone into administration twice through somebodies methods!

The logic of this is that we must be sure not to spend so much in the future - I think that is what they have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Badger said:

The logic of this is that we must be sure not to spend so much in the future - I think that is what they have done.

Agree, But to come out and reference only 1996 is either forgetful or ignoring the other two occasions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...