cambridgeshire canary

Slaven Bilic says he wont replicate our approach to recruitment, claiming we 'haven't even tried anything'

46 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Whether valid or not, fans always judge ambition based on money spent. 

For me of course I want top flight football, I’d much rather be a long term top flight club. But it’s not likely to be for a while.

Although I like our set up, it’s always good to see our own youth players develop and make it through to big clubs, but I’d much rather see them stay and build a squad and team of very talented players, I’d love to keep all of Aarons, Godfrey, Lewis, Cantwell, Buendia and build on them, that would be the dream. It’s a sad reflection that clubs have to sell their best assets to survive because the top flight is so heavy with rich owners and tv money. I wonder sometimes just how much better a career players would have if they stayed here, Murphy’s, Pritchard to name a few.

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If you are in a sport were you can only achieve being in the top flight by investment then to decide not to is a statement in itself. A lot on here believe we are so much better than other clubs because of it... I don't.

I don't think we're any better or worse for it. The benefits of what the club are trying to do is that it's a sustainable model if you do it right. Get it wrong and wheels will come off just the same as if you overspend but to a lesser degree. Project Roeder loan avengers assemble is proof of how being cheap can be catastrophic. I would like to see looser purse strings, I doubt there isn't anyone who wouldn't. If Leicester can win the league with a £30m team cost then it's got to be possible to stay up with similar if the money is spent well. There has to be a happy medium of not overspending while still spending. 

Just now, seanthecanary said:

I don't think we're any better or worse for it. The benefits of what the club are trying to do is that it's a sustainable model if you do it right. Get it wrong and wheels will come off just the same as if you overspend but to a lesser degree. Project Roeder loan avengers assemble is proof of how being cheap can be catastrophic. I would like to see looser purse strings, I doubt there isn't anyone who wouldn't. If Leicester can win the league with a £30m team cost then it's got to be possible to stay up with similar if the money is spent well. There has to be a happy medium of not overspending while still spending. 

Spot on! 🎯

4 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Agree on most parts but I believe Leicester team which won the premiership cost upward of 90 million to assemble over the three seasons from promotion onwards. Add to that wages were pretty much covered by their wealthy owner and it’s a totally different scenario. But it was a brilliant miracle for a great club like Leicester and pleased for their fans.

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Agree on most parts but I believe Leicester team which won the premiership cost around 90 million to assemble over the three seasons from promotion onwards. Add to that wages were pretty much covered by their wealthy owner and it’s a totally different scenario. But it was a brilliant miracle for a great club like Leicester and pleased for their fans.

Depends where you look, some sites just count the regular starting 11 which I think is what I quoted, other sites list players like Kramaric who signed the season before but was out on loan and value the squad at £60m.They are probably more accurate than the figure I used. Still gives me hope that some outlay without getting into debt could get the job done. I don't want to see City spending huge amounts they don't have but I also don't want to see millions in profits like when we got relegated under Worthington and for the tax man to take a huge chunk of it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Depends where you look, some sites just count the regular starting 11 which I think is what I quoted, other sites list players like Kramaric who signed the season before but was out on loan and value the squad at £60m.They are probably more accurate than the figure I used. Still gives me hope that some outlay without getting into debt could get the job done. I don't want to see City spending huge amounts they don't have but I also don't want to see millions in profits like when we got relegated under Worthington and for the tax man to take a huge chunk of it. 

Yes the timing was bang on for using the profits to build a new stand while the stadium is empty. By the time all plans and permits are done things will probably be back to a level of normality so can’t be done, but it was the perfect time.....

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Restricting yourself only to loanees limits the pool of players you can sign.

If we had £50m to spend we very likely wouldn't have spent it signing Duda, Fahrmann, Amadou and Roberts permanently.

Didn't we enquire about signing Duda permanently at the start of the season but were told they wanted 18m or so? I'm sure that's what Farke said.

So its very possible we could now be relegated with a 50k p/w (guess) and 18m signing. Of course, maybe with a pre season he could have been a much better player for us but I doubt he would have made the difference.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If you are in a sport were you can only achieve being in the top flight by investment then to decide not to is a statement in itself. A lot on here believe we are so much better than other clubs because of it... I don't.

But that's not really ambition to succeed is it?

Basically it's the club with the richest owner wins.

A bit like having an "life ambition" to win the lottery.

Isn't it more ambitious to want to succeed from your own efforts?

24 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But that's not really ambition to succeed is it?

Basically it's the club with the richest owner wins.

A bit like having an "life ambition" to win the lottery.

Isn't it more ambitious to want to succeed from your own efforts?

So you think Liverpool didn't really deserve the title because they did not succeed from their own efforts? To be in with a chance to succeed needs money in professional sport otherwise follow amateur sport... Is my opinion... But who knows... I certainly never called the championship title

35 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So you think Liverpool didn't really deserve the title because they did not succeed from their own efforts? To be in with a chance to succeed needs money in professional sport otherwise follow amateur sport... Is my opinion... But who knows... I certainly never called the championship title

I didn't say anything about Liverpool Kenny.

Your point about the championship is interesting. Would you say our club showed more ambition than you did?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to suggest that wanting richer owners is wrong. I'm just questioning whether it's ambition?

I suppose people can be ambitious for other people and their money. The more usual emotion is jealousy though.

29 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

See its going well so far for WBA, know its early days but they don't look up to much and are being outclassed by Leicester.

To be fair it's not West Broms fault Jamie Vardy is the greatest striker of all time

It’s all about finances. The only reason we did what we did was to play it safe because we were already in debt and couldn’t spend much because of the risks if we still went straight back down. If we had £60/80m available to spend, then we would have spent a good amount of it. Lets see how the Baggies do this season then - just like Fulham they start off with a 3-0 home defeat

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Interesting hearing Bilics comments, what exactly are they trying regarding recruitment? Genuine question as I haven't been paying attention, but it seems spending £12 million on a lad they had anyway? 

They're planning on bringing in that Huddersfield striker too

I have to say I did think about this thread when watching a bit of that game earlier - WBA haven’t exactly done a lot this summer window so far (and one they did do was a swap). It was a v poor first half but Leicester upped their game and were the better side in the end; you feel unless WBA do a bit more before October it could be a very long hard season for them..  

11 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

It’s all about finances. The only reason we did what we did was to play it safe because we were already in debt and couldn’t spend much because of the risks if we still went straight back down. If we had £60/80m available to spend, then we would have spent a good amount of it. Lets see how the Baggies do this season then - just like Fulham they start off with a 3-0 home defeat

But West Brom finished last season with 4 loan players: Callum Robinson (Sheff Utd), Grady Diangana (West Ham), Pereira and Krovinovic. They've had to spend money on making the Diangana (up to £18m), Pereira and Robinson deals permanent and they still want Krovinovic. They've had to spend a fair amount of money just to stand still.

They'll probably add Karlan Grant for £15m-£17m, but on the display against Leicester alone they've got a pretty mediocre Championship level squad and will be fighting Fulham for bottom spot.

On 27/07/2020 at 09:37, Branston Pickle said:

And the fact is that the overwhelming majority backed what the club was doing.  To now whinge and bleat about it is pretty nauseating revisionism.

On 27/07/2020 at 09:37, Branston Pickle said:

And the fact is that the overwhelming majority backed what the club was doing.  To now whinge and bleat about it is pretty nauseating revisionism.

Exactly.  We don’t have wealthy owners so we have to buy lower league players and develop youth players to sell to generate the cash needed. Until the penny drops with our fans we’ll always run the risk of bowing to the demand to spend recklessly and we’ll become 1p5wich Mark 2. 

I’m fully behind Delia and the self funding strategy until a Norwich supporting Bill Gates comes along.

• Like 1

The step up from Championship to Premier League is big.

The secret seems to be to be strong defensively but still have the nous to score goals, like a Sheffield Utd and Wolves have done.

All 3 teams already finding the difference in class, just as the 3 relegated teams all won their 1st games.

Looks like Troy Deeney will be signing tomorrow ( for WBA that is not us ) unless he changes his mind after seeing that today.

2 hours ago, duke63 said:

The step up from Championship to Premier League is big.

The secret seems to be to be strong defensively but still have the nous to score goals, like a Sheffield Utd and Wolves have done.

Not to be rude.. but if there’s a secret, isn’t  it how about how to achieve that rather obvious combination?

On 11/08/2020 at 19:28, seanthecanary said:

So we need to spend money like Leicester did - but not like Villa or Fulham? Supporters who try this ‘just a little bit more investment’ argument don’t seem to see the obvious problem here.

45 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Some people might argue the point but he is very effective

When you say 'some' do you mean all?

West Brom have actually done less than we did so far. They have spent lots of money on the same players and are adding another Championship striker. Even with Deeney they have no chance of staying up.

Has there been a worse time to get promoted to the Prem? Fulham and West Brom have had little time to action their plans for being in the Prem and budgets will have been squeezed.

Could a team win promotion and then turn down the chance to join the Prem?

8 hours ago, sgncfc said:

West Brom have actually done less than we did so far. They have spent lots of money on the same players and are adding another Championship striker. Even with Deeney they have no chance of staying up.

I think thats a bit of a stretch. They've bought a highly talented youngsters who tore up the Championship last season for £12m. Even if they replicate us, I'd imagine he'd be worth a significant sum next season.

Just now, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Has there been a worse time to get promoted to the Prem? Fulham and West Brom have had little time to action their plans for being in the Prem and budgets will have been squeezed.

Could a team win promotion and then turn down the chance to join the Prem?

What possible reason would a club do that for? As we showed last season, even if you finish bottom you're suddenly a massive chunk of money better off.