cambridgeshire canary

Slaven Bilic says he wont replicate our approach to recruitment, claiming we 'haven't even tried anything'

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

It is still an indefensible season, even if we were not the worst ever. 

Expect the phrase 'Doing a Norwich' to be used by various pundits next season as how not to approach the league. 

By various pundits you mean the likes of shearer, lawrenson  and Mills. Funnily enough one pundit, who incidentally  talks more sense than those  three put together, Jermaine Jenas, has stated his opinion  that we did the right thing....for us. No comparisons with teams with rich owners,  just  an affirmation that given our circumstances and the rather unexpected promotion , we were right to do what we did . 

I'm sure you can find plenty of talkshoite and sky pundits that disagree, but they wont be biting the hand that feeds them.  That premier league tiger is a hungry kitty.... feed it , feed it , feed it.

Give it a couple of seasons and what we've done will be held up as an example of good practice by non outside funded clubs.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

By various pundits you mean the likes of shearer, lawrenson  and Mills. Funnily enough one pundit, who incidentally  talks more sense than those  three put together, Jermaine Jenas, has stated his opinion  that we did the right thing....for us. No comparisons with teams with rich owners,  just  an affirmation that given our circumstances and the rather unexpected promotion , we were right to do what we did . 

I'm sure you can find plenty of talkshoite and sky pundits that disagree, but they wont be biting the hand that feeds them.  That premier league tiger is a hungry kitty.... feed it , feed it , feed it.

Give it a couple of seasons and what we've done will be held up as an example of good practice by non outside funded clubs.

I'll hold you to that! 

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And from Indy. Don't leave him out. I thought the one where Indy said:

'Purple summed it up.'

...was particularly insightful.🤓

Been very busy with work, and I did say I wouldn’t comment on this, but it was very insightful! 

As fo Nutty, yes funny you posted that interview and pretty much sums up where we were......As I said Bowkett was pushed on them by third party, they didn’t go out there and say let’s get a Bowkett, but once he was in the equation of course they did all they can to persuade him to take the position, without him they may well have lost their control of the club.

I’m seriously lost as to which part of Bowkett’s intervention helped save this club from going bust....as per press.....which indicated exactly what was said to me at the time that the financial creditors would not deal with the majority share holders, Bowkett was put in place to sort out the debt to a serviceable arrangement.

Really don’t understand why it’s so hard to accept! Still we all read the book through our own minds and come to our own minds eye.

Nutty, 💛💚🍻 it’s history and I don’t care, nothing can change what has been, but learning from it is the continuous improvement needed.

Bottom line..... back to this thread, Bilic can do it his way as Sinatra said, I’m far happier with the way this club has gone in the past three years than ever under DS. Webber and Farke are definitely building strong foundations within our financial limitations with success, promotion to the premiership was just brilliant, sad to go down but as long as we learn and build it’s the only way forward.

Edited by Indy

12 minutes ago, komakino said:

I'll hold you to that! 

Do . Do . Do.  I'll happily  admit I am wrong if proven so . As my concern is  for the overall welfare of the Club , not where we sit in whatever league at any  one particular point in time. If after the next two seasons we are outside the top 26, I'll donate a  € to nuttyos funds for every place below the playoffs. Howzat for putting a little money where my mouth is. Would you fancy doing the same for every place above 26 th... seeing as you are so certain were on the wrong track. Nothing like being wrong and having to shell out as well. I'm game, are you?

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Do . Do . Do.  I'll happily  admit I am wrong if proven so . As my concern is  for the overall welfare of the Club , not where we sit in whatever league at any  one particular point in time. If after the next two seasons we are outside the top 26, I'll donate a  € to nuttyos funds for every place below the playoffs. Howzat for putting a little money where my mouth is. Would you fancy doing the same for every place above 26 th... seeing as you are so certain were on the wrong track. Nothing like being wrong and having to shell out as well. I'm game, are you?

Certainly am!

12 minutes ago, komakino said:

Certainly am!

Cool , so at 26 th you pay a € or £ , at 27th ,  I do. and so on for each place  . You stand to lose 26 quid max I could lose nearly twice that if it all goes t1tsup  and were bottom of league one.  😉

Still, we've got 2 years so get saving.  We could offer each other cash out if we get promoted or relegated? Say a tenner?

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cool , so at 26 th you pay a € or £ , at 27th ,  I do. and so on for each place  . You stand to lose 26 quid max I could lose nearly twice that if it all goes t1tsup  and were bottom of league one.  😉

Still, we've got 2 years so get saving.  We could offer each other cash out if we get promoted or relegated? Say a tenner?

Cool!

Haven't forgotten  my wager with Jayeffo either Nuttyo, I still think DF will be with us at ko time on charity shield day.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, komakino said:

Cool!

Grand job so. If I disappear  in next two seasons( have no intentions of doing so), tell Winko to pay up, cos we are one  according to one nutter.😉😇👍

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

Really don’t understand why it’s so hard to accept! Still we all read the book through our own minds and come to our own minds eye.

Nutty, 💛💚🍻 it’s history and I don’t care, nothing can change what has been, but learning from it is the continuous improvement needed.

Just woke from my nap and I have a few minutes before Deliveroo bring my KFC Bargain Bucket.

Totally agree it's like a book of fiction where folk can believe what they want about past events. Personal choice like ketchup or mayo.

Quotes mean nothing. Inferences mean everything. That's the world we live in.

25 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Just woke from my nap and I have a few minutes before Deliveroo bring my KFC Bargain Bucket.

Totally agree it's like a book of fiction where folk can believe what they want about past events. Personal choice like ketchup or mayo.

Quotes mean nothing. Inferences mean everything. That's the world we live in.

Absolutely, if you keep looking through binoculars you never see the full vision of view! 👍🍻

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Been very busy with work, and I did say I wouldn’t comment on this, but it was very insightful! 

As fo Nutty, yes funny you posted that interview and pretty much sums up where we were......As I said Bowkett was pushed on them by third party, they didn’t go out there and say let’s get a Bowkett, but once he was in the equation of course they did all they can to persuade him to take the position, without him they may well have lost their control of the club.

Indy, I wasn't going to go back into this, but as you have! We agree on the basics, I think, but I do not at all rule out the possibiity that Smith and Jones had been trying to get Bowkett to join the board well before the lenders got involved and demanded a heavy hitter to sort things out.

It is what I would have done after Bowkett launched his attack on how the club was being run. Partly from genuinely wanting his expertise but also perhaps cynically getting their fiercest critic inside the tent rather than outside. It is a pretty well-known ploy in business.

That quote from Bowkett suggests they had been trying to get him on board prior to the crisis, and that would link in with the sacking of Doncaster. There is some evidence that they had already decided to shake up the boardroom.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Indy, I wasn't going to go back into this, but as you have! We agree on the basics, I think, but I do not at all rule out the possibiity that Smith and Jones had been trying to get Bowkett to join the board well before the lenders got involved and demanded a heavy hitter to sort things out.

It is what I would have done after Bowkett launched his attack on how the club was being run. Partly from genuinely wanting his expertise but also perhaps cynically getting their fiercest critic inside the tent rather than outside. It is a pretty well-known ploy in business.

That quote from Bowkett suggests they had been trying to get him on board prior to the crisis, and that would link in with the sacking of Doncaster. There is some evidence that they had already decided to shake up the boardroom.

I’m not denying anything, but that interview nutty posted was well after the events and after the ship was not only steadied but also sailed upwards rather fast!

All I can say is that at the time he was not approached by the majority share holders as you rightly pointed out he was indeed very critical. I’m quite happy to to know what I did at the time, how things are now remembered, that interview never said they were trying to persuade him to get on board prior to the financial issues, but he was certainly thrown into the mix and eventually joined.

As I said that’s what I know, how others wish to see it now is totally up to them.

Shall we leave this now as it’s not the topic and as I said better the way we are heading now then put ourselves back in the position we were in back in 1996 or 2009.....👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Absolutely, if you keep looking through binoculars you never see the full vision of view! 👍🍻

Top stuff Indy🙃👍

Anyway, moving on, or back to what Bilic said...

I have a mate down my local who has a mate who has been close to Slaven. For a pint of twos, 5 Woodbine and a packet of scratchings he told me that Bilic often says the opposite of what he means. Consequently he actually meant Norwich tried too hard and WBA wouldn't have the wherewithall to do that. However he'd do his best.

I think if you take off the bins and stop looking at what Bilic actually said then the bigger picture does suggest my mate's mate is right.

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Bob the Grocer knew what happened to the Bellamy money. I posted the relevant stuff to you.

As far as I know nobody knows how much the additions and improvements to the Barclay catering cost. Because last I saw Delia refused to divulge that information.

I wonder if it's in the accounts.

Anyway, another bacon butty is ready so I'm going to get that into my sumptuous gut then go back to bed and sleep it off.

Don't fall off your bike Boris 🙃

Did you have a large waffle for pud?.....

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

Top stuff Indy🙃👍

Anyway, moving on, or back to what Bilic said...

I have a mate down my local who has a mate who has been close to Slaven. For a pint of twos, 5 Woodbine and a packet of scratchings he told me that Bilic often says the opposite of what he means. Consequently he actually meant Norwich tried too hard and WBA wouldn't have the wherewithall to do that. However he'd do his best.

I think if you take off the bins and stop looking at what Bilic actually said then the bigger picture does suggest my mate's mate is right.

I know your mate, she’s a great cook!

4 hours ago, Indy said:

Bilic can do it his way as Sinatra said

Last time he did it his way, he spent a load of money at west ham and got sacked with them threatened by relegation. I'm not sure his is a voice of wisdom!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Did you have a large waffle for pud?.....

fek me I can't remember that far back. I've had a bargain bucket since then and we're about to have a roast with chips and beans. Got jam roly poly for pud this evening.

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I thought Doomcaster resigned not sacked on the same day as Roger Munby who was in poor health.

Any chance of that Webber quote so that I can pay PUPs the tenner that's burning a hole in my pocket?

Otherwise I'm scared I'll blow it on a fish&chip supper...

19 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Any chance of that Webber quote so that I can pay PUPs the tenner that's burning a hole in my pocket?

Otherwise I'm scared I'll blow it on a fish&chip supper...

City sporting director Stuart Webber admitted that Maddison's sale to Leicester last summer averted a financial disaster at Carrow Road.

Who wrote that then ?

What tenner are you on about ?

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

City sporting director Stuart Webber admitted that Maddison's sale to Leicester last summer averted a financial disaster at Carrow Road.

Who wrote that then ?

What tenner are you on about ?

I don't know who wrote it.

It looks to be a report about the quote I posted yesterday.

Too late for the tenner. Go large cod & chips has just been delivered.

Bon appetit

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I thought Doomcaster resigned not sacked on the same day as Roger Munby who was in poor health.

Their joint departures were I believe part of an effort to revitalise the board of directors.They were announced on the same day. That doesn’t mean the decisions were taken at the same time. Indeed I believe at least one of those decisions had been taken some days earlier.

And as you indicate Munby was ill, while I am sure Doncaster’s departure was performance-related, so the departures were linked by a common aim but were not entirely for the same reason. In football resignation is often the word used to describe what in effect is a forced departure. I am quite happy with the wording I used before about Doncaster’s exit.

Certainly moved on from Bilic being Bilious.

I have no idea of the history of the board, CEO's and tea ladies but it is quite fascinating that there can be different perceptions about facts. Surely our club doesn't have factions on the board? I would hope that it works by consensus.

On 27/07/2020 at 10:20, Indy said:

Hi Disco, I’m as frustrated as anyone with relegation, I’d also love to see a change in ownership but this is now a Smith dynasty, not a football club for the community.

But if you accept that we are a club with a mantra of living within our means as I have, we have a very good guy in Webber at the top, Farke is certainly a very good coach with a very strong backroom. We have a lot of very good and also lots of potential for future youngsters, so in a good position to carry on improving.

I don’t think you’ll get a 15 million pound player to come to relegation fighting club and accept a 50% pay cut if we’re relegated. I don’t think they’d sign, to attract Naismith we had to pay over the odds and he was utterly useless because at no point did he want to be here, that’s a big motivation to any player, if they just turn up and get paid 40k a week why would they be motivated.

I like our current recruiting, we’ve signed seven younger players in the past 12 months all of whom look like they will improve our team. So let’s see where we are this year, debt free, loaded with young players, established pros and hopefully a core of Krull, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Beundia & Pukki then build round them.

An excellent post Indy.

Bilic said that WBA would be giving it a go in the PL. Whilst being a fellow yo yo Club , they also have had the advantage - earned or fortunate - of not having had to finance a non-parachute season which has benefitted them to the tune of £40 million relative to ourselves.

On 29/07/2020 at 00:09, PurpleCanary said:

Of course it was an option, but the question is how likely an option was it. As said before, gIven the tendency of lenders not to want to pull the plug on football clubs unless the situation was really dire, which ours was not, I doubt the likelihood was very high. 

Not only did we replace Munby with Bowkett but McNally replaced Doncaster. I don’t doubt for a moment that having a heavy-hitter in as chairman was what the banks wanted and was a condition of the rescheduling, and getting McNally in probably added to the sense that the boardroom was being revitalised, which was enough for the lenders to reschedule.

As it happens I suspect, as Bowkett himself said, that Smith and Jones had been trying to tempt him to join the board for some time, and it may well have been that they suggested Bowkett to the lenders rather than the other way round. And, although I cannot explain why, I believe the decision to replace Doncaster would have been taken financial problem or not.

The test of how close a club comes to administration is how savage or benign is the solution that staves it off. In 2009 and more recently the solutions were reasonably benign. It was only in 1996 that the solution was savage.

I should have checked this out beforehand. The generally accepted narrative is that the lenders forced Bowkett on Smith and Jones, but the chronology doesn't quite fit that, and does more fit with S&J having been trying to get Bowkett on board anyway, because they knew the looming financial problems needed a heavy-hitter to solve them.

Bowkett joined the board in June or July 2009 but the debt rescheduling, in which he undoubtedly played a key part, wasn't finalised until 16 months later, on November 29 2010. That is a longer gap than normally would be necessary to sort out the rescheduling.

On 30/07/2020 at 14:01, essex canary said:

Bilic said that WBA would be giving it a go in the PL. Whilst being a fellow yo yo Club , they also have had the advantage - earned or fortunate - of not having had to finance a non-parachute season which has benefitted them to the tune of £40 million relative to ourselves.

Yes, exactly this and another reason why his comments about is were just born out of ignorance - or arrogance, or both. As a manager he ought to be showing respect to other clubs, or at least not mouthing his ignorance in public.