cambridgeshire canary

Slaven Bilic says he wont replicate our approach to recruitment, claiming we 'haven't even tried anything'

13 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello Indy,

I'd imagine the reason we only loaned Amadou rather than bought him was...well....pretty obvious in the end. He wasn't really up to it! It's possible that other targets we would have liked to have bought didn't come off so we took a punt on him. Maybe a loan was all we wanted to do. Pure speculation on my part but I think doubts about his quality must have played a part in us only loaning him and not signing him permanently.

Why wouldn't there be any reduction in wages clauses? I would like to think we had learned from that mistake. If they don't accept that, then you don't sign them.

OTBC

Hi Disco, I’m as frustrated as anyone with relegation, I’d also love to see a change in ownership but this is now a Smith dynasty, not a football club for the community.

But if you accept that we are a club with a mantra of living within our means as I have, we have a very good guy in Webber at the top, Farke is certainly a very good coach with a very strong backroom. We have a lot of very good and also lots of potential for future youngsters, so in a good position to carry on improving.

I don’t think you’ll get a 15 million pound player to come to relegation fighting club and accept a 50% pay cut if we’re relegated. I don’t think they’d sign, to attract Naismith we had to pay over the odds and he was utterly useless because at no point did he want to be here, that’s a big motivation to any player, if they just turn up and get paid 40k a week why would they be motivated.

I like our current recruiting, we’ve signed seven younger players in the past 12 months all of whom look like they will improve our team. So let’s see where we are this year, debt free, loaded with young players, established pros and hopefully a core of Krull, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Beundia & Pukki then build round them.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The point is that the club pretty much told us how it was, the vast majority could see what they were doing and understood why. Or at least appeared to at the time.  I didn’t actually agree at the time but appear to be far less aggrieved than most.

Hello again Branston Pickle,

I think fans do understand why the club did what they did...that doesn't mean they have to 100% agree with it. Very little in life gets 100% agreement between even a few people let alone several thousand. I get what they did and why. I just think that after all their fantastic efforts the previous year, to get out of the Championship again, it's such a shame to go out with such a whimper.

Personally, I'm not angry at our relegation or lack of spending - it it what it is. Sad, disappointed, frustrated - of course, as a fan you want success for your club. The decisions made were done so with the best interests of the club at their core. Were they right? I guess only time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how the next couple of seasons pan out - they will really show us what the 'plan' for Norwich is really all about. One things for certain - it's never dull being a city fan!!!

OTBC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not talking about why we did what we did- I'm just putting it into some context. I think some still view it as 'we just didn't spend as much as Villa/Fulham' whereas we actually didn't spend as much as teams promoted 8 years ago.

Context doesn't really come into it - we all know we haven't spent money and why, so it is no surprise to see us at the bottom of any list of those who haven't spent.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Context doesn't really come into it - we all know we haven't spent money and why, so it is no surprise to see us at the bottom of any list of those who haven't spent.

Context absolutely comes into it. 

The reason Bilic is highlighting us is because we spent such a historcially low amount. If we'd have spent £20m odd it would still have been lower than our promoted rivals but probably wouldn't stand out as much to people outside of the club.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Hi Disco, I’m as frustrated as anyone with relegation, I’d also love to see a change in ownership but this is now a Smith dynasty, not a football club for the community.

But if you accept that we are a club with a mantra of living within our means as I have, we have a very good guy in Webber at the top, Farke is certainly a very good coach with a very strong backroom. We have a lot of very good and also lots of potential for future youngsters, so in a good position to carry on improving.

I don’t think you’ll get a 15 million pound player to come to relegation fighting club and accept a 50% pay cut if we’re relegated. I don’t think they’d sign, to attract Naismith we had to pay over the odds and he was utterly useless because at no point did he want to be here, that’s a big motivation to any player, if they just turn up and get paid 40k a week why would they be motivated.

I like our current recruiting, we’ve signed seven younger players in the past 12 months all of whom look like they will improve our team. So let’s see where we are this year, debt free, loaded with young players, established pros and hopefully a core of Krull, Zimmermann, Godfrey, Beundia & Pukki then build round them.

Hiya Indy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have no issue with Delia and Michael as such, as they have done so much for the club during their time. I do hope that we look  for outside investment when they finally make the decision to leave rather than just hand the club down to their nephew. Someone on here said that we would start to resemble a family ornament being handed down through the generations...quite an unflattering comparison...but one that touched a nerve in me!

I do agree that there are lots of positives about the club - I like Farke and Webber and our youth recruitment has been top draw of late. Farke and Webber have however made mistakes this year and will need to show they understand that and improve for next season and beyond. We forget that Farke is still a relatively inexperienced coach but one who I am sure can grow and adapt. I'm less certain about Webber if I'm honest - he comes across as a bit of a wheeler dealer Del Boy character to me at times. That might just come with the nature of his role I guess.

OTBC

I don't really care what he thinks.

They'll be one of the favourites for relegation next year, whether they invest what we, Sheffield or Villa did - the fact they'll equal our record for relegations if they don't stay up tells me all I need to know about WBA and their chances.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

The reason Bilic is highlighting us is because we spent such a historcially low amount. If we'd have spent £20m odd it would still have been lower than our promoted rivals but probably wouldn't stand out as much to people outside of the club.

Billic is nothing to us and what people outside the club and it's fans is irrelevant.  They can say what they like. 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Billic is nothing to us and what people outside the club and it's fans is irrelevant.  They can say what they like. 

Well that's fine Lakey, but this is a thread discussing that and what @king canary says is factually correct.

1 hour ago, City fan said:

Bargain basement Poundland players other than Byram. 

Who cost less than a million.

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The thread is about Bilic's comments.

If it nothing to you then great- move along, don't comment. 

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well that's fine Lakey, but this is a thread discussing that and what @king canary says is factually correct.

So what?  Facts can be used in all sorts of ways, to show whatever people want to show. Saying we spent less than clubs did eight years ago is the kind of fact that is used to denigrate us and it is unecessary imo.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

So what?  Facts can be used in all sorts of ways, to show whatever people want to show. Saying we spent less than clubs did eight years ago is the kind of fact that is used to denigrate us and it is unecessary imo.

Wtf are you talking about?

So the context of how much we spent is unnecessary because you don't like what it shows basically?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

So the context of how much we spent is unnecessary because you don't like what it shows basically?

Welcome to the “World as per LDC”.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

So basically, the most important thing is to spend a few dozen million to be in keeping with the money spent in the Premiership?

It's not rocket science is it? Any player with a fee North of 10 million would likely also have a large salary attached, and probably wouldn't be interested in sticking around in the Championship either. It's also not a guarantee that these players would improve the squad. We've had recent experience of this, and we just simply didn't have the revenue to make this a risk worth taking.

Yes, our tactic of sticking with, and rewarding the players who got us there didn't work out. But so we are not being revisionist, it actually looked pretty good early doors until we got a horrendous run of injuries, which really spanned most of the season, destroying any momentum and confidence we had built up. IMO spending 30/40 million quid on additional players may have bought us a few more points, but I very much doubt it would have changed our fate, and could well have ended up being a real issue in the coming season.

• Like 1

Quite interesting really as I live in the Midlands and what I heard him saying was ‘ The players I have are more suited to the Premiership than the Championship ‘. Did we not think that last year ?. West Brom fans are more concerned than we were last year.

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

Hard to disagree with much here👍. The ownership thing is always going to be very difficult to square - there’s huge numbers of failures in among the successes.  

Interesting that per the pinkun article, 10 of our squad yesterday was homegrown (to a degree), on one hand that is a very promising sign, though it was largely due to the fact that we were down to the bare bones with injuries and suspensions. 

Well that has certainly increased my interest in how Wet Brom fare next season and in what they spend.

A quick bit of research has unearthed that the spent a net £46 million on transfers in 2017/18 and finished 20th in the Prem. In the previous season their net spend was only £10 million, but this was only because they managed to fleece Stoke for £12million for Saido Berahino.

Overall their transfer activity has been pretty good, but only because they have managed to sell on their expensive purchases - whether this was luck or judgement I do not know. What people fail to include is the associated wages - players should have two transfer figures, the second being an estimate of their annual wage.

Further research shows they have a billionaire Chinese owner.

Maybe the title to this thread should be "Slavan Bilic doesn't have to replicate Norwich City's approach to recruitment."

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm often accused of stating the obvious, stating that we have spent less than clubs eight years ago is fairly obvious as we hardly spent anything at all. 

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

So basically, the most important thing is to spend a few dozen million to be in keeping with the money spent in the Premiership?

No. As I said in my first post, the strategy we persued means we have to accept being the poster child for 'no spending' to other clubs. I'm highlighting that if we had spent more I don't think Bilic would be directly talking about us, just as he wouldn't be talking about Villa if they'd spent less.

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Quite interesting really as I live in the Midlands and what I heard him saying was ‘ The players I have are more suited to the Premiership than the Championship ‘. Did we not think that last year ?. West Brom fans are more concerned than we were last year.

They should be as they've been pretty poor for most of the season. Not looked convincing at all from what i've seen. That said they hve a bit of pace and power about them so may be able to adjust better than we did.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hard to disagree with much here👍. The ownership thing is always going to be very difficult to square - there’s huge numbers of failures in among the successes.  

Interesting that per the pinkun article, 10 of our squad yesterday was homegrown (to a degree), on one hand that is a very promising sign, though it was largely due to the fact that we were down to the bare bones with injuries and suspensions. 

Homegrown is going to be a requirement for the EFL so we should be encouraged that we have so many.

Edited by Indy

Just now, king canary said:

No. As I said in my first post, the strategy we persued means we have to accept being the poster child for 'no spending' to other clubs. I'm highlighting that if we had spent more I don't think Bilic would be directly talking about us, just as he wouldn't be talking about Villa if they'd spent less.

Sorry, I wasn't attributing the question directly to you, more the general mantra by pundits, Bilic et al. 

2 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

He has a point but lets be balanced about this he also said he is not going to to replicate the Aston Villa approach either. I think he also said they are likely to replicate the Sheff Utd approach which seems sensible to me.........

This must have been for consumption by the West Brom fans because it is vacuous - there is no "Sheff Utd approach" - a combination of manager, a decent squad built up over time and some luck sees Sheff Utd where they are this season. If there was a definite approach which guaranteed success then everyone would be doing it.

I'm not getting at you FJSPSOB ; i'm just debunking what Bilic said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

They should be as they've been pretty poor for most of the season. Not looked convincing at all from what i've seen. That said they hve a bit of pace and power about them so may be able to adjust better than we did.

I think we've actually seen this season that you can have a great style of play and technically good players, but still lose week in week out to more physical and direct teams who have quality up-front.

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Sorry, I wasn't attributing the question directly to you, more the general mantra by pundits, Bilic et al. 

Yeah I can see it is pretty frustrating to link spending to trying. 

The issue is from the outside we do look like we went up and just banked the Premier League cash without really looking to compete. But our lack of spending would likely have been hailed if we'd finished 17th and Villa had gone down.

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Indeed they can but most of it is true. 

Just now, king canary said:

Yeah I can see it is pretty frustrating to link spending to trying. 

The issue is from the outside we do look like we went up and just banked the Premier League cash without really looking to compete. But our lack of spending would likely have been hailed if we'd finished 17th and Villa had gone down.

Exactly, it's just lazy thinking.

Don't get me wrong, I am as disappointed with how this season panned out as anyone. But we are where we are, had we spent 40/50 million we may be in the same place but with a vastly greater set of problems given where we are as a club. It's very easy to criticise and correlate directly in hindsight, but could you imagine the reaction on here had we bought a few Naismith's, but were still fcked by injuries and VAR and went down anyway?

Or do people genuinely believe that spending an additional 30/40/50/60 million would really have solved all the problems with our squad? I just don't see that spending that much on 2/3 players would have made much of a difference overall.