cambridgeshire canary

Slaven Bilic says he wont replicate our approach to recruitment, claiming we 'haven't even tried anything'

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Can't argue with that. Dismal board who had no intention of trying to stay in the Premiership. Never mind full House again next season. As I've said before, Saint Delia must laugh her socks off every evening. 

Yeah he does.

I've said it before but I think people still don't fully get it- what we did this summer was a historically low amount of spending for a promoted team. Even with loan fees we've spent less than we did the summer we came up under Lambert nearly a decade ago. I think you have to go back to Blackpool's one season in the Premier League to find a promoted team that spent less than us.

So we have to accept we're now the poster child for not spending.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah he does.

I've said it before but I think people still don't fully get it- what we did this summer was a historically low amount of spending for a promoted team. Even with loan fees we've spent less than we did the summer we came up under Lambert nearly a decade ago. I think you have to go back to Blackpool's one season in the Premier League to find a promoted team that spent less than us.

And the fact is that the overwhelming majority backed what the club was doing.  To now whinge and bleat about it is pretty nauseating revisionism.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Six new players is “not trying anything”? Ok.

Bargain basement Poundland players other than Byram. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

And the fact is that the overwhelming majority backed what the club was doing.  To now whinge and bleat about it is pretty nauseating revisionism.

Any evidence of that?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Perhaps, but I doubt he is particularly privy to the clubs' finances and policies. Clearly it hasn't worked out for us this season at all, but equally we can look forward to improving the squad without half a dozen Naismith's crippling our finances for the next few years.

It's very easy to be negative about our transfer dealings after the event, but I don't think many people were overly critical prior to the season starting, or indeed, after we spanked Newcastle and beat Man City.

Recruitment has no doubt been a major factor in our dismal second half of the season, but I do think the experts like Bilic tend to discount the horrendous injury problems we've had.

You know, it would be absolutely terrible if West Brom spent a few dozen million and still got relegated. I absolutely wouldn't want to read Bilic's comments on where it all went wrong (if he's still in charge). No Schadenfreude at all. Definitely not.

Of what?  The endless threads last summer or the endless negative threads now??  We did what we did, gave all players new contracts and so on, and the majority of people bought into it.  Suddenly that is wrong?  

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

We’re now the poster child for the reason the PL created the rule that teams only get 2 years of parachute payments instead of 3 if you get relegated the very next season after being promoted.

To stop clubs coming up, and then pocketing the money...🤔

WBA will do what they think is the correct thing to do for WBA.

Norwich did what they thought was the best thing for Norwich.

Whether WBA and/or Norwich are vindicated will only be known in the future.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

Yes.

Sadly he is 100% correct. Most people around the country think the same. 

Blimey at least 34 million people have commented on Slaven Bilic's presser? He's popular.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Of what?  The endless threads last summer or the endless negative threads now??  We did what we did, gave all players new contracts and so on, and the majority of people bought into it.  Suddenly that is wrong?  

I think you’re right in your evaluation Branston, I certainly have zero complaints as the real truth is we had a 30 million pound debt to service. We had limited funds to spend, which was used on loans which didn’t pan out.

Next year if we go up, there’s absolutely no excuse for not spending, with the money coming from potential sales, the premiership money and the parachute payments it would certainly be a slap in the face to the fans if we do go back up and the club fails to seriously invest.

But reality is we have owners who won’t put a penny of their own money, they won’t sell, but will hand the club down....but that’s where we are, nothing can change our owners unless they decide to change things.

Lets not forget thee sides will be relegated from the premiership again next year so three teams will have done it the wrong way!

Edited by Indy

We did try something. We tried to stay up spending next to nothing and keeping faith with the same players and the same tactics.

It didn't work. That is all.

I don't understand Bilic but don't know how the question was phrased. All three promoted clubs did it their way. And with mixed results. Villa fans demanded being in the top flight. I'm sure Sheffield United fans were at least 50-50. I think ours are in the main, just happy to see their team playing, and playing with a style, every other week rather than them getting hammered very week.

I think most of our supporters realise the money isn't there to challenge. Most of us belly ached about the small in comparison amounts we spent on RVW, Naismith etc but demand £50M for Cantwell.

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hello Branston Pickle,

I think a lot of fans on here wanted the club to spend more than they did last summer; there were plenty of comments about it at the time. Not Aston Villa levels of 'more' or even Sheffield Utd levels. We spent 13-14 million when Lambert took us up.

OTBC 

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello Branston Pickle,

I think a lot of fans on here wanted the club to spend more than they did last summer; there were plenty of comments about it at the time. Not Aston Villa levels of 'more' or even Sheffield Utd levels. We spent 13-14 million when Lambert took us up.

OTBC 

Although we didn’t, two other things need to be considered, who actually wanted to sign for us, Amadou was touted as a big central ball winning midfielder at 9 million, well I bet you’re pleased we didn’t buy him......?

Second with a couple 15 million signings come big wages probably with no reduction in relegation clauses! Naismith anyone?

6 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hello Branston Pickle,

OTBC 

The point is that the club pretty much told us how it was, the vast majority could see what they were doing and understood why. Or at least appeared to at the time.  I didn’t actually agree at the time but appear to be far less aggrieved than most.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Norwich City contempt for the PL has been widely condemned this season - and rightly so. 

There is no pressure from the top downwards, because the owners don't like the PL as they made clear in the infamous Times article. There is no pressure from there fans either, because many appear to be glad we are back in The Championship. Have we the most unambitious fans in Europe, because we have the most unambitious owners in Europe? 

Norwich City is the model of failure which no club will repeat. 

Edited by komakino
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah he does.

People get it alright, it's just that they either understand why we're doing things the way we are or they don't.

I mean, he's only got a point if he now spends a sensible amount of money and keeps West Brom up.

If that doesn't happen, then he has no point.

Just now, Indy said:

Although we didn’t, two other things need to be considered, who actually wanted to sign for us, Amadou was touted as a big central ball winning midfielder at 9 million, well I bet you’re pleased we didn’t buy him......?

Second with a couple 15 million signings come big wages probably with no reduction in relegation clauses! Naismith anyone?

Hello Indy,

I'd imagine the reason we only loaned Amadou rather than bought him was...well....pretty obvious in the end. He wasn't really up to it! It's possible that other targets we would have liked to have bought didn't come off so we took a punt on him. Maybe a loan was all we wanted to do. Pure speculation on my part but I think doubts about his quality must have played a part in us only loaning him and not signing him permanently.

Why wouldn't there be any reduction in wages clauses? I would like to think we had learned from that mistake. If they don't accept that, then you don't sign them.

OTBC

10 minutes ago, komakino said:

Norwich City contempt for the PL has been widely condemned this season - and rightly so. 

There is no pressure from the top downwards, because the owners don't like the PL as they made clear in the infamous Times article. There is no pressure from there fans either, because many appear to be glad we are back in The Championship. Have we the most unambitious fans in Europe, because we have the most unambitious owners in Europe? 

Norwich City is the model of failure which no club will repeat. 

😂

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

People get it alright, it's just that they either understand why we're doing things the way we are or they don't.

I'm not talking about why we did what we did- I'm just putting it into some context. I think some still view it as 'we just didn't spend as much as Villa/Fulham' whereas we actually didn't spend as much as teams promoted 8 years ago.

Its sort of stupid to make comparisons really, two different clubs in completely different financial situations.

• Like 1