Dean Coneys boots

The board are on thin ice

8 minutes ago, komakino said:

I just want Norwich City to be successful, which cannot happen under the present majority shareholders. 

We need investment, wherever it (legally) comes from.  

Really?  We are investing in ourselves.... that's the point . You dont think it will work. I am willing to give it a go. To have stabilised our finances to the point where we can spend a bit more ,IS success. 

The only way you'll get what you want right now  is to follow another club. Like all the other Norfolk Scousers/ Mancs  etc. Have some pride in your club.  I'd much rather drive my honda civic, bought and paid for than be up to my eyeballs in hock just to have the shiny new whatever. Security is success. Long term security is long term success.  

There's  wisdom in fables, Tortoise and Hare. Icarus etc I could go on but cant be ar$ed. 

Edited by wcorkcanary

6 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I would add to that , that the next season may see us drop out of the top 26 but then I'd expect us to be in really good shape for the following season, much like Farkes first season but then coming back even stronger than we did in his second. 

It will be interesting to see if Farke changes the way he sets up this side. I'm not sure he can do that in his heart, as he has a certain philosophy of how the game should be played. We have been arguably too easy to play against, which is why my hunch is that he will leave with Webber at the end of 20/21 to fresher fields. I like Farke though, but we live in a results business. 

So were Everton, Burnley, Southampton, Newcastle and Palace successful this year? Because they weren't the previous season whereas we were.

So Leeds haven't been successful or WBA? And as for Rotherham. Up and down isn't worth it?

Just now, komakino said:

It will be interesting to see if Farke changes the way he sets up this side. I'm not sure he can do that in his heart, as he has a certain philosophy of how the game should be played. We have been arguably too easy to play against, which is why my hunch is that he will leave with Webber at the end of 20/21 to fresher fields. I like Farke though, but we live in a results business. 

Ah , the old change angle of attack. We've  also been through this before several times. Let me explain. Our players last Champs season were technically good enough to win it, unfortunately in the Prem we are up against equally technically  proficient players that were also stronger  or faster or both , some were technical , physical and pacey. I have no doubt whatsoever that this time round we will be looking for players that are technically  proficient , but with strength and pace as well . This will be done incrementally.  We will still try to play good footy , just with more pace and power...... that is the plan in a nutshell. WTF is so hard to grasp about that. 

I get bored easily , especially repeatedly explaining the obvious. Good grief.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, komakino said:

Fair point, but look at it from a players point of view. They want ambition. Selling the club to player x to be a 'Top 26' club is not exactly going to be a major plus point. You always aim higher than you are likely to land, but Top 26 is a laughable comment for the club to publicly make in my view. 

Top 26 puts us above Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Bolton, the scum etc, etc. The fans of those clubs would swap with us in a heartbeat. Top 26 means that talented young players have a very realistic chance of Premier League football soon after joining us making us highly attractive.

As for investment, we have six players worth well over £100m. Either they leave and we have that "investment" or stay and increase our chances next season. 

• Thanks 1

...."Table don't lie.....Goals scored/conceded....games won/lost.....points achieved".....

Dry out an ample sized turd log....Then cover it liberally in varnish (preferably canary yellow) and when the varnish is cured, you can spend all day and every day polishing mr hanky ****....But alas, it's still a log turd.....When after daily and continuous polishing you suddenly get a nasty whiff of cacky turd log, it means you've probably polished the varnish away.....Re apply varnish to exposed area of the cacky whiff of turd log, wait for said varnish to cure.....then cheerfully carry on polishing your best friend hanky ****, all day and every day.....with gusto!....

Unfortunately, our club instead of a soft polishing microfibre cloth uses coarse wet and dry sandpaper to polish mr hanky ****....."Pooo! Phwoar! Yucky!... Hey I think more varnish is required Webbo!".....

53 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I would add to that , that the next season may see us drop out of the top 26 but then I'd expect us to be in really good shape for the following season, much like Farkes first season but then coming back even stronger than we did in his second. 

If we do not finish in the top 6 it will be an utter failure next season. In fact anything other than top 2 is a failure. 

8 hours ago, hogesar said:

The board are on thin ice?

With who?

It's certainly not the fans. That's been proven with the ridiculously awful attempt at trying to drum up a Delia Out social media movement.

Yep all the fans love the board and are 100% behind the plan.... and the evidence is where? I would suggest a large part, or certainly a lot of the fans I know are a bit jaded and bored with the continuous lack of success in the top flight. I certainly, though, would not be arrogant or stupid enough to presume to speak for all fans... no insult meant...

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Yep all the fans love the board and are 100% behind the plan.... and the evidence is where? I would suggest a large part, or certainly a lot of the fans I know are a bit jaded and bored with the continuous lack of success in the top flight. I certainly, though, would not be arrogant or stupid enough to presume to speak for all fans... no insult meant...

They'd be fans of reflected glory then, who would be prepared to risk the very existence of the Club to rub shoulders with the 'big boys' in the 'promised land'.  Like some spotty teenager trying to impress a girl in a lap dancing club buying champagne and caviar that he really cant afford.....all to be able to swagger into work on monday morning , flashing his phone saying 'look what I was doing on saturday.' A few days later his credit card  bill arrives and all of a sudden he doesnt feel so clever.

2 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Do they contact you in their 000s as a first point of reference then ? 

Bet you were giggling to yourself when you typed that 

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

They'd be fans of reflected glory then, who would be prepared to risk the very existence of the Club to rub shoulders with the 'big boys' in the 'promised land'.  Like some spotty teenager trying to impress a girl in a lap dancing club buying champagne and caviar that he really cant afford.....all to be able to swagger into work on monday morning , flashing his phone saying 'look what I was doing on saturday.' A few days later his credit card  bill arrives and all of a sudden he doesnt feel so clever.

Or someone borrowing money to buy his house and finding out its doubled in value 5 years later and he or she can afford expensive items to improve it... I guess you still rent

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

A year after storming to the championship title with a bunch of freebies and lower league cheapies, you're bored!? Go chat with some Forest and Wednesday fans and come back down to planet earth.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Or someone borrowing money to buy his house and finding out its doubled in value 5 years later and he or she can afford expensive items to improve it... I guess you still rent

But by the time they have paid a mortgage for 25 years they have paid three times its worth

13 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Ridiculous comparison. If investing successfully in a football club was as simple as property investment then the financial institutions would aggressively seek to invest...... .they dont. Property is not generally high risk, football is . Is that simple enough for you?  Working on aquiring second property right now actually as this six bedroom farmhouse on sixty acres is a bit large now my kids have grown, building a passively heated, timber frame 3bed on 1.3 acres a few miles away , closer to the Salmon and sea trout river . The farm will be rented to an organic farmer with a few kids. Sorry .

Edited by wcorkcanary

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

But by the time they have paid a mortgage for 25 years they have paid three times its worth

God I hope you know more about football than you clearly know about the value of houses 25 years after you buy them... right off to listen to some great records and forget about our worst season in terms of points in our history... I will let you carry on slapping each other on the back and reflecting on how great the club is and now every one else just doesn't get it, whilst name calling those you question the "plan".. enjoy x

1 minute ago, Kenny Foggo said:

God I hope you know more about football than you clearly know about the value of houses 25 years after you buy them... right off to listen to some great records and forget about our worst season in terms of points in our history... I will let you carry on slapping each other on the back and reflecting on how great the club is and now every one else just doesn't get it, whilst name calling those you question the "plan".. enjoy x

We will, thanks for the permission, close the door on the way out. 

46 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I understand their may be fans who are 'jaded' or 'bored'. Admittedly I don't see how Norwich fans could be bored but each to their own.

But in the context of the board being on 'thin ice' - your comments don't change the point I was making.

3 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

be derided as bunkum.  Being a top-26 club does not preclude further ambition.  Having this target does not exclude having an improved target once this one has been reached.  

Norwich City is a mid-sized, provincial football club with a very strong local supporter base but little international

Indeed. Top 26 means Premier League or Championship playoff spots. 

Top 10 means being part of a group of clubs that have massive support including Arsenal,  Chelsea, Everton,  Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham. 

Top 20 then? Add in Aston Villa, Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Utd., Southampton, West Brom, Wolves, but also don’t forget Derby, Forest, Stoke

Top 30 then? Add in Birmingham, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff,  Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Sheff Wed,  Swansea, Sunderland.

These lists exclude smaller teams like Bolton, Bournemouth, Fulham, Huddersfield, Hull, QPR and Reading who have had recent EPL seasons.

And also teams that could easily replicate our crowds given on- field success --Blackburn,  Bristol City, Charlton, Coventry, Portsmouth, Preston. 

Although we have a large geographical catchment area, our stadium is not especially large and so top 26 sounds about right to me. 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Top 10 means being part of a group of clubs that have massive support including Arsenal,  Chelsea, Everton,  Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham. 

Top 20 then? Add in Aston Villa, Leicester, Leeds, Sheff Utd., Southampton, West Brom, Wolves, but also don’t forget Derby, Forest, Stoke

Top 30 then? Add in Birmingham, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff,  Crystal Palace, Fulham, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Sheff Wed, Sunderland.

These lists exclude smaller teams like Bolton, Bournemouth, Fulham, Huddersfield, Hull, QPR and Reading who have had recent EPL seasons.

And also teams that could easily replicate our crowds given on- field success --Blackburn,  Bristol City, Charlton, Coventry, Portsmouth, Preston. 

Although we have a large geographical catchment area, out stadium is not especially large and so top 26 sounds about right to me. 

Wah, wah,  but I want to be able to crow about our team  spending X million on so and so when I'm down the pub with my Man u/liverpool/man city mates. If we don't then I feel inadequate , someone please restore my self esteem by spending a shoiteload of money. I need retail therapy by proxy...otherwise whats the point in living.

51 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Or perhaps just fans who want to see their football team compete and win things at the highest level. Like we did for a while in the late 80's and early 90's.

There was a fan on Canary Call on Saturday who was basically saying he wouldn't want to see us taken over by someone as wealthy as the Man City owners and win the league having bought expensive players because that's not what Norwich are about. I find that staggering, absolutely staggering.

The "cult" seem to have turned the object of our club into some kind of community project rather than to actually win honours and compete at the highest level we can.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I guess the issue is that will they Spend to improve it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Or perhaps just fans who want to see their football team compete and win things at the highest level. Like we did for a while in the late 80's and early 90's.

There was a fan on Canary Call on Saturday who was basically saying he wouldn't want to see us taken over by someone as wealthy as the Man City owners and win the league having bought expensive players because that's not what Norwich are about. I find that staggering, absolutely staggering.

The "cult" seem to have turned the object of our club into some kind of community project rather than to actually win honours and compete at the highest level we can.

Patience Jimbo, Patience. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What did we win in the late 80s and early 90s?

12 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Top 30 then? Add in Birmingham, Brighton, Burnley, Cardiff,  Crystal Palace, Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Sheff Wed,  Swansea, Sunderland.

Although we have a large geographical catchment area, our stadium is not especially large and so top 26 sounds about right to me. 

West Ham aint top 10. Leeds are bigger.

We are as big as most of the teams in your second group there. 

If, after 6 out of the last 10 years in the top flight we've not been able to expand our ground further when it has been sold out virtually every game during that period then add that to the list of failures by our owners to capitalise on opportunities whilst being left behind by other similar sized clubs who have owners that help to fund infrastructure (or at least underwrite loans to fund infrastructure).

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well we won the Milk Cup Nutty in 85 (admittedly mid 80's but second half) but I also said "compete" at the top level and I would say finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th and qualifying for Europe plus reaching 2 FA Cup semi finals counts as competing at the top level. 

• Like 1

1988 14th

1989 4th

1990 10th

1991 15th

1992 18th (good job there were still 22)

1993 3rd

You cling on to a couple of seasons, maybe three, in our whole history to judge every other. You are destined to die a very miserable and dissatisfied man.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Its never going to happen anyway so best not lose much sleep over it.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Well we won the Milk Cup Nutty in 85 (admittedly mid 80's but second half) but I also said "compete" at the top level and I would say finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th and qualifying for Europe plus reaching 2 FA Cup semi finals counts as competing at the top level. 

Football success is cyclical for middle ranking clubs. Those you mention above are achievements at the top of that cycle. I'm sure you haven't forgotten what happens at the other end, its not that long ago.

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If we had only pushed the boat out and bought a couple more players we could have won the EPL. We could have won one or more FA Cups too, and probably a few more seasons of Euro football. But we didn’t have the money then, and Liverpool screws up Europe. The playing field is massively more distorted now, so did we miss our best opportunities back then - I would have to say yes. 

6 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

1988 14th

1989 4th

1990 10th

1991 15th

1992 18th (good job there were still 22)

1993 3rd

Established.