Dean Coneys boots

The board are on thin ice

I get the impression if we get promotion again, these lot will soon slink off or pretend they never said anything like this.

Genuine question, what do you want to see happen with the board? Who should leave and who have you heard thats keen to get involved that has good football knowledge and a large disposable income. 

• Like 2

Or we could have stayed in the Premier League and been financially much better off. The fact that we didn’t even attempt to do so, or make any suggestions that we even wanted to, is what grates.

Do you have guarantees that we would be financially better off in the Prem?

Or would we be a Stoke and Bilic's WBA who thought they were so secure that they wanted Pulis out and bring in lavish spending on unknown foreign players. And ended up in the same place.

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

In 12 months' time, a lot of clubs will be looking enviously at the way we run our club. If we do get straight back up, all the better, but even if not we'll be debt-free as many other clubs are desperately fighting to stave off administration or even insolvency. Even the rich benefactors will have seen their own incomes and assets severely devalued; how long before their 'playthings' become too great a burden?

Looks like our 'train set' will still be running self-sufficiently while a lot of other EPL clubs are gambling their very existence on getting back to the PL. Yes, of course it would have been better to have stayed up. Yes, this season was a disaster from a footballing perspective. But I think a lot of those pundits mocking us now might be looking at us again in a year's time and realise why we did what we did.

My understanding is our self sufficiency is going to be heavily based on bouncing back to the Premier League within the next couple of years. 

Otherwise we'll be back to relying on selling to keep going. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

Delia and Michael probably don’t make the decisions as these are delegated to Weber. The board sets out the strategy and the budget and the “professionals “ deliver it. We must realise that we do not have the finance or infrastructure to be a permanent PL. team so destined to yo yo. 

I disagree, I think we can become an established PL team. However, because we don't have the finance or infrastructure to do it the traditional way (get promoted and splash the cash) we are having to plot a more imaginative course to achieve it. Part of that imaginative course has had to include a promotion in which we spend nothing and use the spoils to launch a more meaningful attempt at that ambition at a later date.

It's risky, but could potentially establish us in the PL. Dozens have gone down the get up, open the chequebook and have ended up back in the Championship with crippling debts. The only imagination in their approach is how to avoid financial fair play points deductions (which I suspect will become more frequent at that level in coming seasons, something else which may have been a factor in our club's approach).

I think we're trying something that might work. If in 12 months time we've had a poor Championship campaign and are nowhere near the PL then I won't laugh derisively at the numbskulls sharpening their pitchforks at the moment. I won't join in, as I'll acknowledge that for a club of our size and stature we have to think outside the box to try and punch above our weight, which is what we would be doing if we became an established PL club, make no mistake about that.

If we go up next year I'd expect us to adopt a more Sheff Utd approach to transfer spending and have a real meaningful go at staying in the Premier League. That will be a proper vindication of the plan and make it worth enduring some of the utterly abject performances we've suffered this season (almost entirely post-lockdown, I'd say only the Aston Villa and Man U games were abject prior to it).

If we struggle next season and don't get close to even the playoffs, that will be the time to dismiss the plan as a failure and bemoan not spending this year.

• Like 1

And anyway, how can an owner be on thin ice? 

So many on here rubbish the Binners for what is happening but would the same owners be on the same thin ice in their position?

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Quite. Hogesar's already spitting feathers. You must not bash the board no matter how uncompetitive they prove to be in the transfer market. 

Spitting feathers? Nah, I'm laughing at how vocal people like you are about the board and then when your group of Delia Out fans try and start a campaign or movement you get about 300 genuine people join a page and raise about £100 for a plane to fly over a stadium with a Delia Out banner 😂

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

This season, as stated, has been a total embarrassment. We even have other managers mocking us now publicly for a total lack of ambition, pointing out “they didn’t even try”

This is a sentiment shared by my mates who support other teams who think our miserly ambition was a total joke and that we didn’t even try to stay up. It doesn’t reflect well on us as a club. 

Have us fans be taken for fools? We were told there was a genius plan in place, but following a record breaking season of dismal failure (see the stats) it is hard to believe in. Do we really think we are about to bounce back first time? On what footballing evidence?

Add to this the fact that our new mantra “the team needs a shake up” seems to involve off-loading our budding wonder kids and replacing them with more obscure cheapies from abroad.

I think the board need to explain themselves better regarding wasting the opportunity promotion gave us. AGAIN!

I think they also need to tell us how the “plan” works if we don’t come flying out of the traps and start winning in a few weeks time. As things  could turn  ugly, quickly. Then what?

Was there really a plan or just an excuse for trying to do it on the cheap and trouser the promotion money? 

There is no genius plan. I'm not even sure anyone at the club currently has ever mentioned this 5 year plan business. I think its just something fans have made up to justify this dismal failure this season.

Everything we do is basically done out of necessity due to our ownership and the financial constraints it brings. Yes, operating under such a model we have to do it as we do but there is nothing particularly novel or groundbreaking about recruiting youngish players on the cheap (or through the academy) or picking up bargains and developing them and then selling them for decent money. Crewe did it for years back under Gradi and you could even argue we did similar under Chase to be honest.

We have to do this because we have owners who cannot afford to fund a football club (certainly a premier league one anyway) and when we get promoted one of the reasons we can never spend until January for that same reason - because we don;t get the first instalment of the tv monies until a few weeks into the season and we don;t have the money to bridge the gap plus won;t countenance going into debt. 

The level of expectation at the club has been consistently downplayed over many years now so that many fans simply believe and accept that we can;t compete at this level and that we are better off (or its preferable to be) in the championship. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, birchfest said:

I get the impression if we get promotion again, these lot will soon slink off or pretend they never said anything like this.

Genuine question, what do you want to see happen with the board? Who should leave and who have you heard thats keen to get involved that has good football knowledge and a large disposable income. 

DCB predicted we'd basically be in a relegation fight the season we won the Championship.

And with no hint of irony he's predicting the same now.

It's funny. 

2 hours ago, lharman7 said:

Some people get it, you obviously don't DCB.

Webber said way before the season started we wouldn't put the club under financial insecurity. 

We are now financially way better off for it.

The plan is working!

"The plan is working."

We just got relegated. I'm speechless really that osm epeople just accept this is all part of the plan.

It takes no skill at all to balance the books by being handed £97m by the (evil) premier league, not spend any of it and then flog off a few of your talented young players post relegation if you need to.

Norwich City will never be successful for as long as we have owners that do not invest or attract investment. 

That has and still is the case. 

Therefore can anyone tell me what purpose Smith & Jones serve the club and how their tenure is helping? 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

"The plan is working."

We just got relegated. I'm speechless really that osm epeople just accept this is all part of the plan.

It takes no skill at all to balance the books by being handed £97m by the (evil) premier league, not spend any of it and then flog off a few of your talented young players post relegation if you need to.

It does take skill to get promoted to the Prem in the first place, without spending significant sums of money

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, komakino said:

Norwich City will never be successful for as long as we have owners that do not invest or attract investment. 

That has and still is the case. 

Therefore can anyone tell me what purpose Smith & Jones serve the club and how their tenure is helping? 

So who's waiting to buy us that they have prevented? We need names.

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

Please answer the original post. What purpose do they serve? 

2 minutes ago, birchfest said:

We would never know, would we.  These things tend to be kept confidential.

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I'm pleased we've hit the ground running with two quick transfers in, but what I don't get is why we feel we can spend, and as Webber says, look for a bit of quality this season, when last seasons transfer was a complete joke. All cheap has beens, and despite Byram being the only exception, he came with an injury record. I thought Sheff U spent sensibly, but to not even spend beyond £1m for a single player in the promised land was a disaster and an embarrassment and we went in with a threadbare squad

I agree. Managers come and go and are made the scapegoat, but this Board has made mistake after mistake and get away with it. Yet another promotion handled poorly but our untouchable Board. And we still get the "we love this club and do things in its best interest"  but this season season has been one of the clubs biggest disasters in it's history.

C'mon Delia, let's be avin yer. Webber comes out with some honest explanations. Its about time Delia and co did the same

You won't hear from Delia, she goes in hiding when the **** hits the fan. Haven't heard a peep out of her after she was all over the media when we beat Man City 

2 minutes ago, komakino said:

Please answer the original post. What purpose do they serve? 

Well, quite simply we actually need to have owners and thats without getting into the money they have put into the club over the years when its been needed. So, nice try at trying to turn the attention away from your daft comment. Your turn, if they serve no purpose who is coming in straight away and showing purpose? 

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

There is no genius plan. I'm not even sure anyone at the club currently has ever mentioned this 5 year plan business. I think its just something fans have made up to justify this dismal failure this season.

Everything we do is basically done out of necessity due to our ownership and the financial constraints it brings. Yes, operating under such a model we have to do it as we do but there is nothing particularly novel or groundbreaking about recruiting youngish players on the cheap (or through the academy) or picking up bargains and developing them and then selling them for decent money. Crewe did it for years back under Gradi and you could even argue we did similar under Chase to be honest.

We have to do this because we have owners who cannot afford to fund a football club (certainly a premier league one anyway) and when we get promoted one of the reasons we can never spend until January for that same reason - because we don;t get the first instalment of the tv monies until a few weeks into the season and we don;t have the money to bridge the gap plus won;t countenance going into debt. 

The level of expectation at the club has been consistently downplayed over many years now so that many fans simply believe and accept that we can;t compete at this level and that we are better off (or its preferable to be) in the championship. 

No genius plan?  It might not be genius, but it is certainly a plan with some merit - and those that refuse to see it are just in denial, presumably because they have blinkers with £ signs on them.  We all know what the plan is and why it was needed - you either accept it or you just go on and on being disatisfied. 

I would say to anyone who doesn't get it - try and understand it! One day we might get a rich owner but until then what we have is the best we can get - and the present era of Webber/Farke has seen us produce an incredible season of success within strict limits of budget - followed by one that has been hideously distorted by covid - and not helped by injuries to our key defenders - and one that will see us in a much better position financially in the championship to be able to compete at the top again and if we go up again we WILL be in a better position to buy more expensive players and make a better fist of it.

3 minutes ago, Jonncfc said:

We would never know, would we.  These things tend to be kept confidential.

Have a look at the interview they gave last summer, they said they hadn't received a solid offer in their time time here apart from the £1 offer from Peter Cullum (thank god that didn't happen). Don't get me wrong, Id love it if someone could come in and buy the club and just pump money in to the playing squad and the stadium too, but come back to the real world.

3 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

You won't hear from Delia, she goes in hiding when the **** hits the fan. Haven't heard a peep out of her after she was all over the media when we beat Man City 

She's just providing some balance. When the **** hits the fan she goes into hiding and your lot come out to play. When things are going well, your lot go into hiding so Delia fills the void.

• Like 2

Just now, canarydan23 said:

She's just providing some balance. When the **** hits the fan she goes into hiding and your lot come out to play. When things are going well, your lot go into hiding so Delia fills the void.

What utter nonsense, "your lot" FFS 😂

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

No genius plan?  It might not be genius, but it is certainly a plan with some merit - and those that refuse to see it are just in denial, presumably because they have blinkers with £ signs on them.  We all know what the plan is and why it was needed - you either accept it or you just go on and on being disatisfied. 

I would say to anyone who doesn't get it - try and understand it! One day we might get a rich owner but until then what we have is the best we can get - and the present era of Webber/Farke has seen us produce an incredible season of success within strict limits of budget - followed by one that has been hideously distorted by covid - and not helped by injuries to our key defenders - and one that will see us in a much better position financially in the championship to be able to compete at the top again and if we go up again we WILL be in a better position to buy more expensive players and make a better fist of it.

You still persist with your Covid excuse for our abysmal performances but every team in the country had to cope with exactly the same circumstances.  The plain truth is we were shockingly poor and the reasons for that lie firmly within the Club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

What utter nonsense, "your lot" FFS 😂

I mean the pitchfork mafia, in case that was something else that escaped your notice.

12 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Was she? 

Genuine question, not a dig, just don't remember it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Well, quite simply we actually need to have owners and thats without getting into the money they have put into the club over the years when its been needed. So, nice try at trying to turn the attention away from your daft comment. Your turn, if they serve no purpose who is coming in straight away and showing purpose? 

Any football club at the highest level needs investment and our hapless owners do not. Or attract investment with their xenophobic comments. 

They serve no purpose. They club needs serious owners. 

Edited by komakino

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

My understanding is our self sufficiency is going to be heavily based on bouncing back to the Premier League within the next couple of years. 

Otherwise we'll be back to relying on selling to keep going. 

Yes, I'd say that's accurate. But we have still put ourselves on a much stronger survival footing than many of our rivals.

20 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Such a weak argument. Of course fans on messageboards can;t give you names but there will have been interest and there would be an awful lot more interest if they came out and said they are open to considering offers ratther than "we will never sell, we don;t even listen to enquiries." Virtually every other club in the country has changed hands during the period of their ownership. Its inconceivable that there would be no interest in us if we were genuinely made available. 

2 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

I thought Sheff U spent sensibly

Ollie McBurnie - £17.5 million - 6 goals in 36 appearances - 353 minutes per goal as a striker

Callum Robertson - £7 to 10 million depending on who you believe - struggled for game time before being loaned out. At not really bought as a player for the future.

Luke Freeman - £5 million - 3 starts all season

Ben Osborn - £4 million - 6 starts all season

Sheffield Utd stayed up, we didn't - but the evidence that the cause was their better transfer spending is exceptionally thin.

Plus, Sheff Utd had the advantage over us financially because they in the last few years they have been financially very stable after great difficulties before this. They benefited from previous financial discipline.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes, I'd say that's accurate. But we have still put ourselves on a much stronger survival footing than many of our rivals.

Personally I think we should be throwing our weight behind this proposed £18m Championship wage cap. It is the perfect sweet spot for us where we can run sustainably without being put at a competitive disadvantage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Ollie McBurnie - £17.5 million - 6 goals in 36 appearances - 353 minutes per goal as a striker

Callum Robertson - £7 to 10 million depending on who you believe - struggled for game time before being loaned out. At not really bought as a player for the future.

Luke Freeman - £5 million - 3 starts all season

Ben Osborn - £4 million - 6 starts all season

Sheffield Utd stayed up, we didn't - but the evidence that the cause was their better transfer spending is exceptionally thin.

Plus, Sheff Utd had the advantage over us financially because they in the last few years they have been financially very stable after great difficulties before this. They benefited from previous financial discipline.

McBurnie's goals are directly responsible for 7 points for Sheffield United this season.

6 goals also make him joint top scorer for the season along with another new signing, Lys Mousett who you chose not to list.

16 minutes ago, Jonncfc said:

You still persist with your Covid excuse for our abysmal performances but every team in the country had to cope with exactly the same circumstances.  The plain truth is we were shockingly poor and the reasons for that lie firmly within the Club.

I didn't persist with anything I said the season was "hideously distorted" - that means that it affected everyone.  I know we were poor, it isn't rocket science, but to pretend covid did not affect the season for everyone is just denial of the obvious.