Sign in to follow this  
Canary dwarf

We will bounce back straight away

Right now, at this moment, it’s a big ask. Last season in the Champs the stars aligned somewhat, I’m not going to say we were just lucky but we certainly got the rub of the green on several occasions. The team are now going to be low on confidence, psychologically impacted and after some transfers may be weakened in some key areas. It’ll be interesting to see whether Farke makes some changes tactically or to his approach based on this season’s failures, and whether he can build the players back up again ready for a gruelling season in the Champs. I’ll make a judgement after 10 games but it’s an absolutely massive job ahead. That said, if we do have a “so-so” season and aren’t in the mix for promotion at the end there will be serious questions to be asked about the Project and whether more should have been done to take advantage of the season just gone rather than banking on us securing promotion again at a later date.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Right now, at this moment, it’s a big ask. Last season in the Champs the stars aligned somewhat, I’m not going to say we were just lucky but we certainly got the rub of the green on several occasions. The team are now going to be low on confidence, psychologically impacted and after some transfers may be weakened in some key areas. It’ll be interesting to see whether Farke makes some changes tactically or to his approach based on this season’s failures, and whether he can build the players back up again ready for a gruelling season in the Champs. I’ll make a judgement after 10 games but it’s an absolutely massive job ahead. That said, if we do have a “so-so” season and aren’t in the mid for promotion at the end there will be serious questions to be asked about the Project and whether more should have been done to take advantage of the season just gone rather than banking on us securing promotion again at a later date.

Yeah good post ,it will be interesting to see the in and outs b4 the season starts .

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Right now, at this moment, it’s a big ask. Last season in the Champs the stars aligned somewhat, I’m not going to say we were just lucky but we certainly got the rub of the green on several occasions. The team are now going to be low on confidence, psychologically impacted and after some transfers may be weakened in some key areas. It’ll be interesting to see whether Farke makes some changes tactically or to his approach based on this season’s failures, and whether he can build the players back up again ready for a gruelling season in the Champs. I’ll make a judgement after 10 games but it’s an absolutely massive job ahead. That said, if we do have a “so-so” season and aren’t in the mix for promotion at the end there will be serious questions to be asked about the Project and whether more should have been done to take advantage of the season just gone rather than banking on us securing promotion again at a later date.

Our promotion was obtained with some amazing fight backs in games. I'd be concerned that the confidence of this present squad has taken such a serious hit that if we go behind in a behind closed doors scenario,we would seriously struggle to recover.

• Thanks 1

I had thought that the Championship was poor this season but changed my mind after watching Swansea v Brentford last night. Two powerful and skilful teams. I wouldn't have fancied our chances against either. We have to get some bigger players in

The games will come thick and fast in the Championship it’s a marathon not a sprint. With little to no additions (so far) in the defensive department, I don’t see city bouncing back at all, and they will be bottom 5/7 after 10 games. The youngsters will struggle with the competitive nature of this league it’s very physical.  Yes they have done it once, but not this time. It’s a stronger league and the adage of we’ll score more than you won’t work yet again. 

Bournemouth and Watford will be there abouts should they manage to keep their quality together, City have very very little, and it shows!

• Like 1

Most of the players we have were purchased on the cheap, when the club was broke, to stave off relegation from champ. Our defensive frailties were not addressed after promotion and we paid for it with worst relegation in our top flight history. 

We are currently bereft of confidence with a physically small squad who lack physicality and pace. Teams have sussed out how to stop us and it’s all too easy for them. 

Unless recruitment is amazing - I fear a poor start that spirals out of control. At present I think a relegation fight is more likely than promotion 

• Like 1

We will go through the season unbeaten, we will score 150 goals and 85 percent of our games we will keep a clean sheet

Nephew Tom will get knighted for services to football and the club will return to a full 10 scampi 🍤 portion at the Gunn club 

you heard it hear first 

• Sad 1

I fear for us this coming season. Sorry but this is what I think. 

Predictable to play, weak in the tackle, small players, struggling to score goals, unproven & unknown players from ‘lower’ leagues... it will take a miracle to be Top 6.

I predict 17th. New Manager. Delia quiet for the season (happily hiding at home as the majority owners are both in the high risk category). Webber and his ego to be off Summer 2021.

Silver lining we won’t get to watch the season in the stadium so it doesn’t really matter.

positive stuff.

Edited by yellow_belly

51 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Most of the players we have were purchased on the cheap, when the club was broke, to stave off relegation from champ. Our defensive frailties were not addressed after promotion and we paid for it with worst relegation in our top flight history. 

We are currently bereft of confidence with a physically small squad who lack physicality and pace. Teams have sussed out how to stop us and it’s all too easy for them. 

Unless recruitment is amazing - I fear a poor start that spirals out of control. At present I think a relegation fight is more likely than promotion 

It's ok guys, we're gonna win the league again.

This was practically DCB's prediction when we won the Championship playing the best football i've watched a Norwich team play whilst scoring nearly 100 goals in the process.

Unless we buy better, not a hope. We leak goals and cannot score... not a recipe for success. But I have been told there is a plan so what do I know... 

• Haha 1

Personally I think that there’s no guarantee yet we will or won’t bounce straight back up. We need to see who we still have when next season starts, how our new signings turn out, and how we perform out of our first 10 games or so - lets remember, last season we didn’t start off very well and ended up winning the title, this season Ipswich were top of League One around Christmas and ended up failing to even make the playoffs (although their season did end early). In my opinion it’s all a case of wait and see, as plenty of teams have bounced straight back, whilst a couple of teams (Sunderland and Wolves) have suffered from back to back relegations. Whenever we’re in the Championship I tend to think of us as a mid-table side, whenever we’re in the Premiership I tend to think of us as a think of us as one of the teams fighting against relegation 

14 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

We leak goals and cannot score... not a recipe for success.

I take it we’re not counting getting promoted?

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Unfortunately you’re argument about speed and size is exactly what has been addressed in our four signings, a pace winger, two large units to play in central midfield and a potential number ten who again is over 6ft who’s got an eye for goal.

If yesterday showed anything it’s our defence and keeper who were fairly good with block tackles but our midfield pairing was inept, even amateurish at times doing stupid tricks leading to giving the ball away or not going with runners.

I agree that it’s not very likely for an immediate return, but if we sell Aarons, Lewis, Buendia and Cantwell we have Byram, McCullum, Sinani and Placheta all in as replacements.

Immagine what we could potentially do with a few additional million in strengthening our squad.

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I take it we’re not counting getting promoted?

Nah that doesn't count now, remember how this works. The past is irrelevant. Well, that's what i've been told when bringing up our championship season. But last season, whilst also being in the past, is now relevant. Till they decided it's not relevant, which is whenever suits, really.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nah that doesn't count now, remember how this works. The past is irrelevant. Well, that's what i've been told when bringing up our championship season. But last season, whilst also being in the past, is now relevant. Till they decided it's not relevant, which is whenever suits, really.

Top trolling.  Well done.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The amusing thing is that if we'd finished say 4th the year we won the Championship and lost in the playoffs and then 5th the following year and lost in the playoffs, these grumbling melons would probably be quite happy with how things had gone the past two seasons.

As it is, we had one of the most enjoyable seasons in my lifetime and then a year in the Premier League. Far, far better in terms of achievement and far, far, far, far, far, far better in terms of the club's sustainability, but these weapons are moaning for the board/manager/tea lady/club shop retail assistant to be given the heave-ho.

• Like 2

I am another that cannot see an immediate return to the Premiership. Whilst the new signings sound good they are unproven in a very tough league so we will have to wait and see. Our defence was leaky last season so unless improvements are made I would expect the same again. Farke has had three years and failed to improve our defence still relying on zonal marking with all its problems, we still have eleven players in our eighteen yard box defending corners and set pieces so have no outlet if we manage to get the ball out increasing pressure on the defence yet again. We need new players and a new mindset to progress.

10 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Personally I think not as confidence is rock bottom ,but what does everyone else think.

Very difficult to say atm. The Championship is a very difficult league and should never be taken lightly.

Who stays, who goes, what new faces come are obviously key.

Some key areas we need to review IF we are to challenge:

• Looking at why we had so many injures this year
  • Working on both our defense and attack at set pieces
  • Increasing the pace and physical power of the squad

OTBC

• Like 1

You Doom merchants so much to look forward to, enjoy your summer, stay off the internet and wait to see how the new season unfolds

hopefully we will all get the chance to get into the ground sooner rather than later 

God save Delia

15 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

You Doom merchants so much to look forward to, enjoy your summer, stay off the internet and wait to see how the new season unfolds

hopefully we will all get the chance to get into the ground sooner rather than later 

God save Delia

image.jpeg.681dc020b8dd80f46b9eacf1398ddc72.jpeg

"Cheers! I'll drink to that!"......

I'm highly sceptical but I base this less on feelings or intuition (like I did last year and look what happened....I thought our brand of football was just the right fit for the PL...even after our opening game) but more on lessons from history, the statistical analysis.

There is a reasonable chance of being competitive as a relegated team but not many manage a direct comeback (28% do...reference "the stats zone"). That means a 72% historical chance we won't. We will have resources though with parachute payments.

This long losing streak must play into the collective psyche mustn't it? For players & manager. It's been a capitulation rather than a close run battle (the experience of Watford & Bournemouth just missing out). With those latter two mentioned, there may be a residual sense of an injustice, of fine margins, something to put right. For us, it will need a psychological reset. That will take time.

Finally, it looks right now that it could be another season punctuated by the virus returning. Certainly, one that appears it might be, in part at least, behind closed doors.

I just hope we can be competitive. If I had to say how we might do, I think we are looking at a struggle ahead.

The positives are no VAR, teams more around the same level to each other, the new signings and the latest crop of younger players coming through. I'm looking forward to it, as I'm sure most here will be. I'm not wearing yellow and green spectacles though, colouring over what looks like a significant challenge coming.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Any and every season is a fresh challenge.  So no assumptions from me about how well or how badly we will do, only that it is going to be a huge challenge - as it was last time.   Neither "not going to get promoted" early in the season if we are down near the bottom, or "yay, we're going to get promoted" if we are top if there are still games to go.  It is and always will be a challenge right up to the last kick of the ball. Can we do it? Of course we can, but the dangers are clear - we have to get over this season quickly and buckle down to the new one.  i only hope transfer windows are well out of the way by the time the season starts so everyone is onboard and focussed.

11 hours ago, Canary dwarf said:

Personally I think not as confidence is rock bottom ,but what does everyone else think.

Confidence was pretty low when Norwich went into the Championship winning season after a mid table finish the previous year and the loss of Maddison. It is worth remembering that a slow start in the Championship generally isn't a huge issue as things usually remain pretty close right until the end of the season.

I'll be amazed if Norwich don't make a slow start to the season due to the short pre-season and potentially needing to use the whole window, that won't close until after a month into the season, to get the squad right. 

I think Watford and Bournemouth coming down is a bit of a blessing for Norwich - while they will probably both be strong teams, they are going to have even more turnover of players than I expect is coming at Norwich. They certainly don't look like a Newcastle or such who you know will come down and dominate the league. It doesn't look the strongest league this time around, but the Championship does have a way of confounding expectations so I'm not gonna make any predictions right now. Norwich certainly have the capability to bounce back, but there are huge amount of factors at play that could scupper any hopes.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Confidence was pretty low when Norwich went into the Championship winning season after a mid table finish the previous year and the loss of Maddison. It is worth remembering that a slow start in the Championship generally isn't a huge issue as things usually remain pretty close right until the end of the season.

I'll be amazed if Norwich don't make a slow start to the season due to the short pre-season and potentially needing to use the whole window, that won't close until after a month into the season, to get the squad right. 

I think Watford and Bournemouth coming down is a bit of a blessing for Norwich - while they will probably both be strong teams, they are going to have even more turnover of players than I expect is coming at Norwich. They certainly don't look like a Newcastle or such who you know will come down and dominate the league. It doesn't look the strongest league this time around, but the Championship does have a way of confounding expectations so I'm not gonna make any predictions right now. Norwich certainly have the capability to bounce back, but there are huge amount of factors at play that could scupper any hopes.

Tbh I don’t recall too many seasons where we’ve started really well, particularly promotion seasons - 1985/6 we lost 3/4 out of the first 7 but then won 10-11 on the trot and the title at a canter; L1 I’m sure we all recall the start and last season the results weren’t brilliant early doors (performances being better than they suggested).  I’d almost be concerned if we did get off to a flyer.

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

We will go through the season unbeaten, we will score 150 goals and 85 percent of our games we will keep a clean sheet

Nephew Tom will get knighted for services to football and the club will return to a full 10 scampi 🍤 portion at the Gunn club 

you heard it hear first 

Don’t over do this Waveney. It was quite funny the first time but ....

• Like 1

Impossible to say until we know who stays and who goes. Lose key players who we can't replace like for like then we could be looking at mid-table.

To get promotion again we will need 2 or 3 'X Factor' players. If we lose the likes of Pukki, Emi and Cantwell it's going to need some pretty inspirational new recruits. 

As mentioned one or both of Swansea and Brentford won't be promoted and both are better all round sides than us at the moment.