Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Fair play to Aston Villa

33 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

More like £144m, and I wouldn't say scraping 17th was well spent.

https://www.skysports.com/app/transfer/news/21476/11780339/how-much-did-premier-league-clubs-spend-on-transfers-in-summer-window

Incredibly, newly-promoted Aston Villa almost matched United to become the next biggest spenders with a £144.5m outlay on 12 players, topped by Tyrone Mings (£26.5m), Wesley (£22m), Matt Targett (£17m) and Douglas Luiz (£15m).

You have forgotten wages - over the period of the their contracts that will be tens of millions.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

If, after all that spend, all you could hope for was playing to avoid relegation each season it’s not surprising so many are falling out of love with the game.

Oh yes dont get me wrong i agree with you  but if you earn it you have to spend it otherwise the Tax man takes so much 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fair play to Norwich for getting their spending spot on. We go again next season and know how to ride the Championship. 

!!!

36 minutes ago, JF said:

So Villa stay up through a failed goal line technology system then. Wouldn’t be surprised to see legal action incoming 

On what grounds? Even if they won the best they could hope for is financial compensation or an enhanced parachute payment. From a Norwich perspective would we really want that? 

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Spend some dosh and you give yourself half a chance. Spend nothing and you will be relegated. 

They gambled and it paid off. 

Really?

Watford spent £43 million this season on transfers and went down (+ Welbeck on what was no doubt a huge wage).

Bournemouth spent £50 million.

So their gamble failed as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Badger said:

Really?

Watford spent £43 million this season on transfers and went down (+ Welbeck on what was no doubt a huge wage).

Bournemouth spent £50 million.

So their gamble failed as well.

As well as who's?

9 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Not Really Branston compared to how much have they Earned being in the Premiership 5 years , 

Based on this interview from their local paper, they barely break even. £11.3m profit in 2017/18 to a £21.2m loss in 2018/19

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/unaffordable-brightons-billionaire-chairman-tony-bloom-bracing-himself-another-financial-hit-2542218

The irony of a guy who has ploughed £350m into Brighton saying

"It does need to be looked at at all levels. It really isn't sustainable and it needs something like this crisis to get across some significant change."

is not lost on me.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

As well as who's?

Three teams every year (15% of the league). 

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fair play to Norwich for getting their spending spot on. We go again next season and know how to ride the Championship. 

13 points adrift, an absolute embaresment of a season and not a hope in hell of getting out of the chump next season, whilst our fellow promotees from last season sail past us and have a continued ocean of Premier league wealth to increase the gap further. Yeah - spot on!? ☹️

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

They beat us both times and finished 14 points ahead.

There was literally about a point in it at the start of lockdown. Our total collapse doesn't mean they were much better. Before today they'd conceded almost exactly the same amount of goals as our porous defence. They really weren't much better than us.

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sheff Utd spent c£60m-£70m.  

That’s what I thought first of all, but then from another post I saw I thought it was £40m. Even so - they spent half of what Villa spent and made a top half finish whilst Villa scraped survival thanks to a fault in GLT

Well done to Sheffield United. Having a long term plan and sticking to it has paid dividends.

Villa invested in making the challenging transition from chump to PL - and succeeded. Without investment we failed as spectacularly as any other club has in the history of the PL. Let’s hope the board reflect - and act - on this embarrassment as we prepare for next season. 

It certainly isn’t sustainable for ‘smaller’ clubs outside the top, say, 10.  You can’t help but feel the rest really are just waiting for the  cycle to take its nevitable turn against and see them relegated. Look at Hull, Huddersfield etc etc 

19 minutes ago, Adelaide Canary said:

13 points adrift, an absolute embaresment of a season and not a hope in hell of getting out of the chump next season, whilst our fellow promotees from last season sail past us and have a continued ocean of Premier league wealth to increase the gap further. Yeah - spot on!? ☹️

Those other clubs don’t have our model though. 

Villa were a correct goal line tech decision away from a "200m catastrophe" according to their chief exec.

If the option is to gamble 140m and if it pays of you scrape 17th, if it doesn't then you potentially have no club left....I'd rather not gamble. The whole aspect of gambling requires something really worth gambling for.

6 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Villa invested in making the challenging transition from chump to PL - and succeeded. Without investment we failed as spectacularly as any other club has in the history of the PL. Let’s hope the board reflect - and act - on this embarrassment as we prepare for next season. 

Well the other relegations from the premiership did not seem to have resulted in a great deal of lessons being learnt but we live in hope....

It will be looked back on as £144m well spent if they can push on and become re-established in the Premier League beyond this season, as they were for many years before their relegation in 2016.

We spent f**k all, went down with a whimper and have absolutely no intentions of even trying to become established.

So on that basis, fair play indeed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

It will be looked back on as £144m well spent if they can push on and become re-established in the Premier League beyond this season, as they were for many years before their relegation in 2016.

We spent f**k all, went down with a whimper and have absolutely no intentions of even trying to become established.

So on that basis, fair play indeed.

Yes, it may. But if they get relegated next year after a similar level of spending to ensure that they are competitive - it might not look so good then? They have got to start as one of the favourites I would have thought.

1 hour ago, Adelaide Canary said:

I guess so unfortunately. At least they tried... I suspect for them if they can consolidate a bit next season then the gamble may pay off for them. Oh what could have been 

Yet another whinging account called xxxxxx Canary who 1) is a miserable ****er and 2) joined a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Naaaah. £144m spent just to scrape 17th?  Forget it, there is more to life and football. 

I'd say it is. By spending that, for the TV rights for next season in the Prem, they'll get that back, plus more. 

1 hour ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I'm sure villa fans would happily spend the 144m again to 'scrape 17th' . What a bizarre argument. 

In the end they have achieved their goals this season. After the break, while we folded from game one and gave away goals for fun - they tightened up their defense and targeted goals from set pieces. It's paid off for them. 

Let's not all act high and mighty about only finishing 17th. Both our promotion rivals number one target would have been Premier League survival - they both achieved it and we finished bottom on 21 points with a GD of -49.

And Villa..just like Watford and Bournemouth...will get relegated...next season...the season after...but go down they will. Reality is  all these kind of clubs are spending 100s of millions over the seasons to achieve....about as much as City achieve. We dont need the help of rich sugar daddy owners, we do it how it should be done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

140m to survive by.. 1 point?

By one stolen point due to hawk eye not working. Wonder if Bournemouth will sue.

Well Villa stayed up by the narrowest of margins, to be fair they are a big club and i do not begrudge them another season. Watford and Bournmouth as 2 well established PL clubs must both be kicking themselves. Bournmouth deserve to go down because somehow they managed to drop 5 points against us enough said, Watford hit the self destruct button having 4 managers in a season and sacking Pearson with 2 games left. I suspect both clubs will have financial difficulties next season as i would think they will have few if any players with relegation clauses in their contracts

• Like 1

I’m not upset about relegation as that was always a likely outcome. What rankles with me is the idea that because last season’s promotion was not expected in the ‘5 year plan’ at that point we should not try to take advantage of our good fortune. Instead bank the windfall and hope the promotion happens in accordance with the plan’s timetable. What happens if that promotion is not forthcoming? 

• Like 1

Truth is we didn't compete and we never intended to compete.

It is a myth that we want to be a Club ranked 1 to 26 because our aim is to be a Club ranked 18 to 26, or lower

40 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

We would have loved to finish 17th or 2 places above relegation

Not if we'd spent £140 million and had contract liabilities worth tens of millions and no ground I wouldn't!!

Edited by Badger
Corrected mistake