Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Fair play to Aston Villa

100 million well spent. They will now reap the rewards for taking the premier league seriously. Good luck to them.

Edited by Keith Scott
  • Haha 3

I guess so unfortunately. At least they tried... I suspect for them if they can consolidate a bit next season then the gamble may pay off for them. Oh what could have been 

1 minute ago, Keith Scott said:

100 million well spent. They will now reap the rewards for taking the premier league seriously. Good luck to them.

Well spent! I think even Villa fans would dispute that. 

More like £144m, and I wouldn't say scraping 17th was well spent.

https://www.skysports.com/app/transfer/news/21476/11780339/how-much-did-premier-league-clubs-spend-on-transfers-in-summer-window

Incredibly, newly-promoted Aston Villa almost matched United to become the next biggest spenders with a £144.5m outlay on 12 players, topped by Tyrone Mings (£26.5m), Wesley (£22m), Matt Targett (£17m) and Douglas Luiz (£15m).

So Villa stay up through a failed goal line technology system then. Wouldn’t be surprised to see legal action incoming 

• Like 3

144 million and they stayed up courtesy of the goal-line tech ****ing up. Yep. They paid 144 million to be marginally less **** than us.

Not even close to well spent.

'They just got away with it' would be a much more accurate description.

Edited by South Sider

I'm sure villa fans would happily spend the 144m again to 'scrape 17th' . What a bizarre argument. 

In the end they have achieved their goals this season. After the break, while we folded from game one and gave away goals for fun - they tightened up their defense and targeted goals from set pieces. It's paid off for them. 

Let's not all act high and mighty about only finishing 17th. Both our promotion rivals number one target would have been Premier League survival - they both achieved it and we finished bottom on 21 points with a GD of -49.

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

144 million and they stayed up courtesy of the goal-line tech ****ing up. Yep. They paid 144 million to be marginally less **** than us.

13 points adrift at the foot of the prem suggests the gap between them and us is a little more than marginal to to be fair thought

• Like 1

To be honest I don’t give a t@ss about any other team, especially when they are being used as a cudgel against my club. I’ll congratulate Leeds on finally getting promoted but I really couldn’t care less which two of Bournemouth, Watford and Villa came down with us - they all cheated the system, only two could go down anyway. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

They beat us both times and finished 14 points ahead.

• Like 1

Spend some dosh and you give yourself half a chance. Spend nothing and you will be relegated. 

They gambled and it paid off. 

• Like 1

It certainly was money well spent, they survived. All that matters. They will now reap the financial rewards and have every chance to establish themselves for a few seasons. 

Cheers Keith Scott.

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I'm sure villa fans would happily spend the 144m again to 'scrape 17th' . What a bizarre argument. 

In the end they have achieved their goals this season. After the break, while we folded from game one and gave away goals for fun - they tightened up their defense and targeted goals from set pieces. It's paid off for them. 

Let's not all act high and mighty about only finishing 17th. Both out promotion rivals number one target would have been Premier League survival - they both achieved it and we finished on 21 points with a GD of - 49.

I agree. So the spent lots. If they are still in the premiership in 10 seasons time I’m sure they will be well in the black. 

We are trying to make ourselves feel better by slagging of how much another team spent to remain in the premiership, when we have just had the single most embarrassing season in the top flight we have ever experienced. It shows just how blinkered some City fans are. 

Rather than questioning our own board for making no attempt to stay up, we’re questioning another teams board who did. And DID!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

£144m well spent - how much did we spend? £1-3m?

Look at where Villa are in the table in comparison to us and the amount of money we spent. Personally I would give credit to Sheff Utd. How much did they spend - was it £40m? However much they spent they’ve done brilliantly this season for a newly promoted team. Had Sheff Utd’s goal against Villa been given I reckon Villa would have been relegated this season - in my opinion Villa only stayed up thanks to a fault in goal line technology

Edited by HazzaJet

And one point they gained from the worst VAR “decision” of the entire season.... I’m sure the EPL are happy that a “sleeping giant club” like Villa have stayed up. 

Personally, I really don’t give a damn....

6 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

£144m well spent - how much did we spend? £1-3m?

Look at where Villa are in the table in comparison to us and the amount of money we spent. Personally I would give credit to Sheff Utd. How much did they spend - was it £40m? However much they spent they’ve done brilliantly this season for a newly promoted team

Sheff Utd spent c£60m-£70m.  

Fair play to Watford and Bornemouth for spending half a billion pounds for numerous relegation fights, mid legue bore fests and a hammering in an FA Cup final. Money well spent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

140m to survive by.. 1 point?

Doesn't matter if it was 1 or 10 pts.

Lots of sour grapes and jealousy because we don't have rich owners or can attract external investment.

Webber himself said we went to war without a gun.

The thing is that football has been all but ruined by money - if you don’t spend loads you’ve next to no chance in the PL, we have to hope we can do a Burnley and come back stronger.

I saw an article saying that Brighton had spent something like £229m in the last 5 years, and were in the top 10 spends in Europe.  All to finish a couple of places above relegation.  That’s ridiculous. 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

A pretty good effort, Keith.

Short, simple and perfectly timed.

7/10

• Haha 1

F*** Villa, I pity them...

My two favourite clubs will be contesting in the same superior Division --- I've much to look forward to 👍

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

The thing is that football has been all but ruined by money - if you don’t spend loads you’ve next to no chance in the PL, we have to hope we can do a Burnley and come back stronger.

I saw an article saying that Brighton had spent something like £229m in the last 5 years, all to finish a couple of places above relegation.  That’s ridiculous. 

Not Really Branston compared to how much have they Earned being in the Premiership 5 years , 

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

Not Really Branston compared to how much have they Earned being in the Premiership 5 years , 

If, after all that spend, all you could hope for was playing to avoid relegation each season it’s not surprising so many are falling out of love with the game.

Edited by Branston Pickle