Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

If you had to lose two out of...

For me we would get pretty good money for Cantwell and Aarons, and we would be able to replace both with good quality championship players who could be as effective and still leave us a lot of change from the transfers. The 3 i would be most desperate to keep would be Krul, Pukki and Buendia all three tried and tested stars at Championship level, in fact any and every team in the championship would want those 3. Obviously we would prefer not having too much of a turn over but i also think Godfery and Lewis  could be replaced with top notch championship players with again a lot over change left over

54 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Lewis - we have a potential replacement already here 

- Krul - absolutely love him and don't want him to go but logic says he's not irreplaceable and his age means this is the only time we're going to get a decent fee.

If we have any ambition at all we shouldn't always adopt the "only time we're going to get a decent fee" principle to every player that we have, some are the soul of the club. I'd put Zimmermann and Krul in that category. 

Leicester missed their chance to get silly money for Jamie Vardy, but they kept their talisman and he's the reason they will play in Europe next season. 

I'm sure all at their club will be delighted if he plays out the rest of his career with them. 

Using that logic and I'm sure we could have turned a good profit on Huckerby after the Worthington relegation! 

I'd be much happier if we looked at the 3 good years that Krul has probably got left, and then decided that those three years are worth more to the club and the fans than the £6m or whatever that Arsenal or somebody would pay us for him to sit on their bench. 

Especially when the replacement cost is probably £10m, the price that Raya is said to be leaving Brentford for. Krul is a better keeper, Raya is weak dealing with crosses.. likes a punch rather than a catch. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If we have any ambition at all we shouldn't always adopt the "only time we're going to get a decent fee" principle to every player that we have, some are the soul of the club. I'd put Zimmermann and Krul in that category. 

Leicester missed their chance to get silly money for Jamie Vardy, but they kept their talisman and he's the reason they will play in Europe next season. 

I'm sure all at their club will be delighted if he plays out the rest of his career with them.

I'd be much happier if we looked at the 3 good years that Krul has probably got left, and then decided that those three years are worth more to the club and the fans than the £6m or whatever that Arsenal or somebody would pay us for him to sit on their bench. 

Especially when the replacement cost is probably £10m, the price that Raya is said to be leaving Brentford for. Krul is a better keeper, Raya is weak dealing with crosses.. likes a punch rather than a catch. 

Totally agree. Zimmermann owes us nothing he cost peanuts and is immense for us at championship level and shows leadership that we have missed. Krul likewise is back to his magical best, at 32 if he keeps fit he can keep going for 3 or 4 more seasons and as you say in relative terms we would get only a modest fee for him, a fantastic leader in the squad with so many young players and he has earned his money after a great career and nice for him like Huckerby  before him to play where he is really appreciated

The one I worry about is hernandez. 

He is more key next season and yet I fear an offer. 

But aarons is gone, that's guaranteed, and I suspect cantwell. 

Buendia may also go and tbh I wouldn't be that disappointed after his last woeful 10 games. 

1 minute ago, Jerrykerry said:

But aarons is gone, that's guaranteed, and I suspect cantwell. 

Buendia may also go and tbh I wouldn't be that disappointed after his last woeful 10 games. 

The last 10 games have been woeful for everyone. Emi would be the best player in the Championship next season if he stays, but I don't see him doing so unfortunately.

Aarons gone where? I know it was said he'd already agreed terms with Spurs... do you know that to be true?

4 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

But will that offer come from a city with an Argos as good as ours, and right next to the stadium? 

Cantwell and Aaron’s because they’d fetch the most money for the club. And we have players who can take over their roles already at the club. 

Core players NOT to sell, Krul, Zimmerman, Buendi, Pukki. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lots of people saying we need a bit of a rebuild, but if we need to sell to fund this, and we probably do (not having to sell players is different to being able to fund a rebuild without also selling).

Then which two out of these players would you say goodbye to? 

• Todd Cantwell
  • Ben Godfrey
  • Jamal Lewis
  • Emi Buendia
  • Teemu Pukki
  • Max Aarons
  • Tim Krul

I've selected those as the players that are probably going to be most in demand and command a healthy fee. We could split hairs if you want and say that Zimmermann and McLean might have interest, and yes we could argue that Krul might command £6m and Aarons might command £25m, and yes its going to depend on quality of the offers made for each player and every player has its price, and some may want out and some may want to stay (and disruptive players not good to have around) but its not supposed to be overly academic.

Its more about an acceptance that if we want to see the quality arrive we might have to see some quality leave.

I personally find it a really difficult to choose two at the moment, but I'd rather face up to reality than become irrationally angry when we sell, as we simply need to invest a bit and go back up looking a little different.

For me, I think that Krul and Pukki simply have to stay for their experience and their roles as talismen (when Pukki gets back to form, which he will). That's as far as I've got with answering the question at the moment. Its so tough to choose two, but that's the difficult choice that Webber/Farke are probably having to make this summer! 

Cantwell and Lewis for me

Cantwell and Lewis would be the two I would lose, but i could of said Aarons as well as we already have the replacement for him. 

Godfrey - We should give the armband and a new contract to make him stay.

Krul - Wants to stay and will be vital to us next season.

Pukki - See Krul.

Buendia - Reject all offers, best player.

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Cantwell and Aaron’s because they’d fetch the most money for the club. And we have players who can take over their roles already at the club. 

Core players NOT to sell, Krul, Zimmerman, Buendi, Pukki. 

Think I largely agree there Surfer, other than the apostrophe! 

Cantwell & Aarons have probably done enough between them over the last two seasons to warrant a Prem team taking a punt. If so, 40m+ could well come in and good luck to them if they do choose to move on👍.

Buendia is sure to have attracted suitors and would be very difficult to replace. I'd love to see him have another go in the Champo next year. I can't see big Zimm leaving. Hopefully he can leave his injury problems behind and lead the charge. I think Tim Krul is on board, a potential captain, but again I wouldn't blame him if another club offered him the chance in the top flight. If Pukki is still with us, & up for it; outstanding. I can't see the club shelling out the sort of cash for another forward of his ability. 

I think Ben Godfrey is developing into a player of real quality. Another season in the Champo could be the making of him. Sharpen his skills, improve his anticipation, get the experience and learn to better understand the "darker arts" and physicality required. He could be the club captain in 12-14 months time(?) Hanley is a great pro & if he could stay fit would be a great help to the team (see Timm Klose), but I think the club should be looking to sign at least one "quality" centre-back. This should be where a bigger investment really needs to be released in this window. (10m--15m?) Will a player of that calibre settle for the kind of wage the club will offer without upsetting the 'wage structure?'

Jamal is another who could really benefit from another year below. I don't think he'll be as sought after. The Sam McCallum signing will hopefully help to drive both on to succeed. One of the weaknesses the club has clearly identified is pace out wide. If this is a new direction in the playing philosophy, the two full-backs won't need to commit as often and that should help tighten up defensively. 

Central and defensive midfield is the key area of improvement for me. Will the club feel that for the season ahead, this is already in place? Perhaps it is? Tettey looked ready to be the "mentor" a year ago and he played 29 games this season! One of the few consistent performers. Having him around for another year will do no harm. Will Leitner have another go? McLean performed well in the second half of the promotion season. I think Rupp, Trybull & Vrancic would be pushing to start at most top 6 Champo teams. At this point it looks like the club is looking to develop Sorensen & Sitti for these central roles. If that's the case, they'll need plenty of pitch time. 

Looking up top, I wouldn't be surprised if the club went with Pukki, Idah & Drmic. In a team playing well & (hopefully) having more opportunities to dominate possession & dictate the play, that could be very effective.

The club look to have identified attacking midfield as another weakness. Onel has come out with credit from this dismal restart. Stiepermann looked out of his depth all year, but will probably see plenty of pitch time next year. Josh Martin looks to have been identified as the next player to hopefully 'step up.' Sinani will surely need a lot of time and work to get up to the pace. We need to be patient there. Placheta will hopefully make his mark. McLean & Vrancic can also slot in here. If Cantwell goes but Buendia stays, we could be set there. 

It will be interesting to see who wants to leave, and who Webber wants to leave. The squad is already taking shape. Despite this fairly pathetic relegation (certainly since the restart) and what looks to have been a case of settling for trousering the income from an unexpected promotion, I don't think the squad is actually looking that bad for another promotion push. The club have openly said that they wish to "consolidate" in the Prem, i.e. avoid relegation directly after the next planned promotion. Perhaps they yet will? It would require a huge turnaround from how things stand at the moment. However, it's a sad fact that since the early to  mid 90s and the Sky-driven influence, money has turned the game into a monster.

40 minutes ago, HB1989 said:

Cantwell and Lewis would be the two I would lose, but i could of said Aarons as well as we already have the replacement for him. 

Godfrey - We should give the armband and a new contract to make him stay.

Krul - Wants to stay and will be vital to us next season.

Pukki - See Krul.

Buendia - Reject all offers, best player.

Largely agree with that too HB 👍

• Like 1

If it meant keeping the rest, then I'd let Cantwell and Lewis go, but can't see Emi / Max staying. Need to keep at least one of Emi / Todd IMO. Big decision over whether there's more to come from Pukki or if he's shot.

I'd be happy to let Godfrey and Buendia go, and if it meant the other stay, Lewis too (as we already have a multi million pound replacement waiting).

This is how it's meant to work. Occasionally sell off a bright young prospect and turn that money into a reliable pro to slowly improve our quality.

On 26/07/2020 at 17:01, lincsy88 said:

Who on earth is going to show interest in McLean, Stevie Wonder!? Lewis and Aarons for me, we have replacements in the club already and Lewis isn't as good as people think he is. 

Sam Lincoln is this you 🧐

On 27/07/2020 at 19:19, Ward 3 said:

Sam Lincoln is this you 🧐

I can neither confirm or deny these accusations. Question is who are you?

• Haha 1

Buendia, for all his talent and skill, has shown temperament issues this season and I'm not certain he's the type to put in 110% in a 2-game-a-week Championship slog next season when he's tasted the big time. If we can get good money for him - Minimum 25m - I'd not be averse to letting him go. The fact that we've brought in 2 new wingers (Placheta and Dennis) in the last few days and were actively chasing Dennis Man (probably still being discussed despite supposedly ending our interest) suggests Farke has identified wide players as a target area this summer, and I suspect that might be in expectation of Buendia's exit. 
I don't want to lose any of the others to be honest, but I can see arguments for all of them being the best (or 'least worst') to lose - We already have good replacements at the club for Aarons and Lewis; Godfrey didn't really make the top flight grade as a CB (I'm still in the camp that thinks he could be an excellent DM if Farke would play him there); Pukki and Krul are older and don't have the potential to grow. The only one I really don;t want to lose is Cantwell, I don't understand why some people on here dislike or don't rate him. His development is probably the only really bright point of the past season and I think he'll be absolutely superb next year. 

Wouldnt be at all surprised to see Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia & Cantwell go. 

Dont think any big guns coming in for Lewis.

Krul & Pukki will stay.

On 27/07/2020 at 11:50, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

If it meant keeping the rest, then I'd let Cantwell and Lewis go, but can't see Emi / Max staying. Need to keep at least one of Emi / Todd IMO. Big decision over whether there's more to come from Pukki or if he's shot.

Yes it was lose two, keep the rest.

Obviously may not be a realistic scenario, but was just trying to show that its quite a difficult decision that Webber/Farke are together going to have to make this summer if we need funds to rebuild the squad.

Although they will of course have a much greater insight, they will know if any of those have downed tools or have a bad attitude, which really want to go, which really want to stay, and which are somewhere in between (feelers out, but will knuckle down if we don't get a good offer I guess). 

Ultimately I just want players who aren't up for the scrap to f*ck off, and those that want to be here and play for the fans and Farke to knuckle down and help get us back up. Never seen the point in keeping hold of desperately unhappy players unless there is a reasonable chance of being able to placate them.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Dont think any big guns coming in for Lewis.

I think Leicester will sell Chilwell and then replace him with Lewis. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

The only one I really don;t want to lose is Cantwell, I don't understand why some people on here dislike or don't rate him. His development is probably the only really bright point of the past season and I think he'll be absolutely superb next year. 

I equally don't understand why you are apparently massively under rating Max Aarons. He'll go further in the game than anybody else in the side, its just so obvious. To have his level of maturity and composure at 19/20 is pretty much unseen. He's two full years younger than Cantwell, you can point to Todd's development over the past season as a 22 year old, whilst forgetting that Aarons nailed down a first team spot at 18.

He's just played a full season of Premier League football as a 19.5 to 20.5 year old, and your only bright point of the past season is Cantwells development? Is it just because people forget how young Aarons is or something? He's 20.5 years old and has played 83 professional games, almost half of them in the best league in the world. 

Aarons will go right to the very top. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Aarons and Cantwell for me.
If Bayern are genuinely interested in Max then we should let him go, who would begrudge him that opportunity. Needs to be the right price of course!
Cantwell would cause havoc in the championship but I think he has greater ambitions than that. I can see him pushing for a move to a prem club.

Would love to keep Zimmerman, Godfrey, Hanley, Buendia, Pukki, Lewis, Byram, and Hernandez. Not too fussed with the rest if I’m honest and that includes Krul.

Re-invest the money on another striker, attacking midfielder, defensive midfielder and full back.

9 hours ago, lincsy88 said:

I can neither confirm or deny these accusations. Question is who are you?

M Ward used to be a keeper for a local team 🤔

On 29/07/2020 at 21:46, TeemuVanBasten said:

I equally don't understand why you are apparently massively under rating Max Aarons.

Where on earth do you get the idea that I massively under rate him?! I literally said 'I don't want to lose any of the others'. Aarons is a fantastic young prospect - easily one of the best young players in the country. 

Your questions asked which 2 I'd be most willing to see go. My answer is Buendia plus one of the others, excluding Cantwell. Ideally none of them, but if a choice has to be made, there's an argument that we already have a good replacement for Aarons in the form of Byram. To be honest the more I think about it, I'd probably have to say Pukki for the second spot anyhow, just because there's a question over whether he's just out of form/confidence or if that foot injury has permanently cost him the half a yard of pace that's so crucial to what he did for us last season and the start of this. 

Would love to keep them all and think we will keep most of them.

But if I had to choose two, then Buendia for all his talent is the obvious first choice, and very reluctantly I think Godfrey would be the second - very tricky though because Ben could still turn out to be a fantastic player and in Bryam we have another excellent full back who could play either side - but no way am I going to chose either Jamal or Max as one to leave even though they may choose that for themselves.

Seems to me that Max and Todd are the two on your list that will be most in demand elsewhere.

Negative hat on for a moment re: Aarons & Cantwell leaving.

If Aarons is gone & Byram is out injured for 2/3 months (both quite likely scenarios), are we looking at Jordan Thomas or Bali Mumba for RB? Risky.

If Cantwell is gone and Teemu continues to struggle, where will the goals come from? Drmic looks to Europe-bound and Idah is still a prospect, albeit a good one. If Drmic moves on, a striker will need to be brought in.