Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

If you had to lose two out of...

Lots of people saying we need a bit of a rebuild, but if we need to sell to fund this, and we probably do (not having to sell players is different to being able to fund a rebuild without also selling).

Then which two out of these players would you say goodbye to? 

• Todd Cantwell
  • Ben Godfrey
  • Jamal Lewis
  • Emi Buendia
  • Teemu Pukki
  • Max Aarons
  • Tim Krul

I've selected those as the players that are probably going to be most in demand and command a healthy fee. We could split hairs if you want and say that Zimmermann and McLean might have interest, and yes we could argue that Krul might command £6m and Aarons might command £25m, and yes its going to depend on quality of the offers made for each player and every player has its price, and some may want out and some may want to stay (and disruptive players not good to have around) but its not supposed to be overly academic.

Its more about an acceptance that if we want to see the quality arrive we might have to see some quality leave.

I personally find it a really difficult to choose two at the moment, but I'd rather face up to reality than become irrationally angry when we sell, as we simply need to invest a bit and go back up looking a little different.

For me, I think that Krul and Pukki simply have to stay for their experience and their roles as talismen (when Pukki gets back to form, which he will). That's as far as I've got with answering the question at the moment. Its so tough to choose two, but that's the difficult choice that Webber/Farke are probably having to make this summer! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Not that worried who it is tbh, not one of them is irreplaceable.  So long as we kept the majority and any fees are kept to reinvest In the squad I’d be ok.

Aaron’s and Cantwell, I’d add Lewis to that list and keep the rest.

IF we had to sell two then I'd sell the two worth the most which would be 2 from Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell.

Buendia is the one I’d want to see stay most but it’s not happening. Aaron’s and Cantwell because it’s probably half sorted already. 

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

IF we had to sell two then I'd sell the two worth the most which would be 2 from Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell.

Absolutely

They are worth the most, reportedly have the most interest and potentially most pushy agents.

Sometimes you have to cash in, will these players be worth more in 6 to12 months time?

We all know the prem teams will look to europe and although home grown is needed. Our players have a window of maximum revenue for us, they may be great next season but I do feel we need to cash in.

They may get injured or not play as well.

So I think if the bids come in and we are happy then it is time to move

I think Cantwell can prove to be a great asset next season  - I don’t understand why he is dismissed so readily.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Lots of people saying we need a bit of a rebuild, but if we need to sell to fund this, and we probably do (not having to sell players is different to being able to fund a rebuild without also selling).

• Todd Cantwell
  • Ben Godfrey
  • Jamal Lewis
  • Emi Buendia
  • Teemu Pukki
  • Max Aarons
  • Tim Krul

I've selected those as the players that are probably going to be most in demand and command a healthy fee. We could split hairs if you want and say that Zimmermann and McLean might have interest, and yes we could argue that Krul might command £6m and Aarons might command £25m, and yes its going to depend on quality of the offers made for each player and every player has its price, and some may want out and some may want to stay (and disruptive players not good to have around) but its not supposed to be overly academic.

Its more about an acceptance that if we want to see the quality arrive we might have to see some quality leave.

I personally find it a really difficult to choose two at the moment, but I'd rather face up to reality than become irrationally angry when we sell, as we simply need to invest a bit and go back up looking a little different.

For me, I think that Krul and Pukki simply have to stay for their experience and their roles as talismen (when Pukki gets back to form, which he will). That's as far as I've got with answering the question at the moment. Its so tough to choose two, but that's the difficult choice that Webber/Farke are probably having to make this summer! 

McLean & Rupp for a start 

Don't know why people say Godfrey.  Alongside a good regular partner he looks very good. With Zimbo he looks very good and for a while he did ok with Hanley, if not as good as with Zimbo.  I think his partnership with Klose should be discounted as Klose hasn't been at his best.

I would say Cantwell and Aarons.  Cantwell I don't think he is as effective enough for the role he has - and I'm not talking about his goals - for a creative player he rarely creates.  Aarons I think is destined for the top, so wouldn't begrudge him a move to a top side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We could split hairs if you want and say that Zimmermann and McLean might have interest

Who on earth is going to show interest in McLean, Stevie Wonder!? Lewis and Aarons for me, we have replacements in the club already and Lewis isn't as good as people think he is. 

11 minutes ago, Number9 said:

McLean & Rupp for a start 

Think you are missing the point in the thread if you say Rupp to be honest, which is listing players others teams are likely to actually want to buy. 

It would cost us money to get rid of him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lincsy88 said:

Who on earth is going to show interest in McLean, Stevie Wonder!? Lewis and Aarons for me, we have replacements in the club already and Lewis isn't as good as people think he is. 

Er - West Ham and Rangers allegedly!

3 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Godfrey is the most overrated player we have. Always out of position. 

Not when he plays with Zimmermann. He is young and needs experience beside him.  Has made more blocks than anyone this game.

26 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Godfrey is the most overrated player we have. Always out of position. 

I actually agree with this, I think if we get a good offer we should take it while the football world seem to think he's the next Rio Ferdinand. 

A bit like when Blackburn cashed in on Phil Jones when people thought he was the next John Terry, a player Man Utd are now stuck with 😆

It is possible that the right club and right circumstances could complete Godfrey's conversion from DM into centre back, but I can't see it happening here so best for him to take the move. 

I'd like a proper centre back alongside Zimmermann next season. 

I might go Buendia at the right price and Godfrey.

Buendia possibly our most naturally talented player, but I think we should transition to become a fast counter attacking side and he simply isn't fast. He'd be better suited to a team which spends most of the game in the opposition half, like Man City did today. Should go to Atletico Madrid or Sporting Lisbon or somewhere and excel. 

That will be us in the Championship, but he'll never be useful for us in the Premier League as we're never going to dominate games like that. We need to begin to transition into Ranieri's Leicester, solid defensively then lethal on the break, and it would be Godfrey and Buendia who make way to help fund that for me. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Buendia and Pukki would be my two in theory. For me, anything that shows we are great at developing our own and keeping them together makes us more and more attractive to promising young talent looking for somewhere to fine-tune their games and set us apart. Furthermore, years of such playing together generally would improve teamwork.

The problem with Buendia, at least if our last season in the Championship was any guide, was that he seemed to be the one player we couldn't quite replace and when he was suspended, we seemed to lack a little something. When Leitner was out, Vrancic stepped in. When Hanley was out, Zimmermann came in. When Tettey was out, Trybull stepped in. Cantwell back then wasn't quite replacing Buendia though. We didn't really have too many games without Pukki and he probably could have been quite tough to replace as well, but you get the idea.

I agree with @TeemuVanBasten in terms of Buendia lacking a yard of pace and also being better suited to being in a team that's mainly in the other half. In the Championship, that was us. In the Premier.... not yet.

2 hours ago, unique said:

I think Cantwell can prove to be a great asset next season  - I don’t understand why he is dismissed so readily.

I would like to see Delia and MWJ go personally. 

Lewis - we have a potential replacement already here 

- Krul - absolutely love him and don't want him to go but logic says he's not irreplaceable and his age means this is the only time we're going to get a decent fee.

10 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I would like to see Delia and MWJ go personally. 

there's a huge movement already starting to achieve this. You should get on board. Almost 600 members in a Facebook group (ignore that 300 of those are only there to take the mickey) and a whopping £110 raised towards flying a plane with a Delia Out banner.

Its gonna be MASSIVE.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

• Todd Cantwell
  • Ben Godfrey
  • Jamal Lewis
  • Emi Buendia
  • Teemu Pukki
  • Max Aarons
  • Tim Krul