Sign in to follow this  
Foxtrot955

Retire Number 9 Shirt!

Do you think the club should retire the number 9 shirt in honour of Justin Fashanu?

I think it would be an appropriate honour as is the current climate in the world towards people of colour and gender.

I myself identifies as mixed race, I don't look like Justin but my ancestry is similar.

I was a young Barclay Boy sitting on the fencing when his goal of the season went in against Liverpool in 1979. Of course, we lost 3-5 but his sexuality never came into question with me and still doesn't.

I am proud to be associated with the first football club to have an openly gay sports star.

I was in the same class as Dale Gordon at school and always was best friends with him. Got to learn a lot about the Fashanu's through Dale but never uttered a word of it to anyone. 

Does anyone else agree with me, that we should posthumously honour Justin in this manner of retiring the number 9 shirt?

Sorry but I don't agree. All this retiring of shirt thing is getting a bit silly now and Brum have made a bit of an error with the Bellingham situation. Hardly a club legend at 17. With respect to Justin, and I was also behind the goal that day, he is one of a number of former players who could be honoured in some way. A statue has been mentioned. Justin would certainly be worth one. But so should Big Dunc as well for instance. How we honour former players is difficult because no matter what you do someone will always find an excuse to tra it down. 

No.

It's not that I don't think Fashanu shouldn't be honoured, it's just I don't agree with retiring a shirt, particularly so long since the person had it.

I'd be totally up for a statue.

Agree 100%. The shirt retiring thing is stupid. We can honour Justin in so many other ways. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Agree 100%. The shirt retiring thing is stupid. We can honour Justin in so many other ways. 

Yep,  change should come through peoples minds and attitudes, not retiring shirts. Maybe incorporate the name justin into the actual number on the shirt. 

3 hours ago, Foxtrot955 said:

Do you think the club should retire the number 9 shirt in honour of Justin Fashanu?

I think it would be an appropriate honour as is the current climate in the world towards people of colour and gender.

I myself identifies as mixed race, I don't look like Justin but my ancestry is similar.

I was a young Barclay Boy sitting on the fencing when his goal of the season went in against Liverpool in 1979. Of course, we lost 3-5 but his sexuality never came into question with me and still doesn't.

I am proud to be associated with the first football club to have an openly gay sports star.

I was in the same class as Dale Gordon at school and always was best friends with him. Got to learn a lot about the Fashanu's through Dale but never uttered a word of it to anyone. 

Does anyone else agree with me, that we should posthumously honour Justin in this manner of retiring the number 9 shirt?

Baitttttttt

In respect of Michael Theoklitis single handedly getting rid of Bryan Gunn and helping to usher in the glorious Lambert years, I think we should retire the number 1 shirt.

Yes, let's retire the no. 9 shirt...... looking at our scoring record this season we don't appear to have a centre forward😉

4 hours ago, Foxtrot955 said:

Retiring the shirt years after his death just doesn’t have an impact for me-this is usually done immediately after a player dies.

The best way to honour him for the reasons you have mentioned is to call out homophobic or racist behaviour-or indeed any other discriminatory behaviour.

LMHR