Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Pukki links to Turkey

I would suggest that the thought is that during those 10-15 years, it is likely to be the only time they can earn those levels of pay - so it’s a case of 'fill yer boots' while you can

And if that means taking the best paid contract then so be it

For every fan commenting on the high level of pay there are other 99 mugs happy to pay sky tv, or £80 to sit in Arsenals ground

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I would suggest that the thought is that during those 10-15 years, it is likely to be the only time they can earn those levels of pay - so it’s a case of 'fill yer boots' while you can

And if that means taking the best paid contract then so be it

For every fan commenting on the high level of pay there are other 99 mugs happy to pay sky tv, or £80 to sit in Arsenals ground

And yet clubs are going to the wall!

16 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Apart from the small matter of them trying to earn as much as possible in their short career because they are worried about their retirement, either in a few years when the legs go or next week after that bad tackle. 

Or maybe thinking that it could be the last chance to hit the big time and reach their full potential. 

So it's very unlikely that footballers are like the rest of us.

Why should they be any different?  Take any profession you like and you will find people - the sensible ones anyway - who will not out money at the top of the list. 

Anyhow, as Indy Bones says, pro players on good contracts are coining it in and if they can't put some of that away for the future then that is their own lookout.  Even a player on a modest 10,000 a week gets in one year - £520,000 - over two years over £1m.   Over 2 years that is the equivalent of someone earning a salary of say £30,000 a year for 30 plus years! 

They are well paid and can protect their future by using the money they earn wisely. If they blow it all on fancy cars and lavish houses and then find they can't support that lifestyle after they retire then that again is up to them - they didn't have to blow all their money in their short careers - and they know it is going to be a short career, so they have no excuses.

They are like the rest of us, human beings, with frailties and pressures and strengths and weaknesses - just because their career paths are different to many of us does not make them different in any other way.

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

You only have to go back to the 70’s to find loads of ex pros doing second careers in other areas post football.

And some people still defend footballers for wanting £300k a week!

Not sure if you're on a wind up, 50 years ago? Really?

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why should they be any different?  Take any profession you like and you will find people - the sensible ones anyway - who will not out money at the top of the list. 

Anyhow, as Indy Bones says, pro players on good contracts are coining it in and if they can't put some of that away for the future then that is their own lookout.  Even a player on a modest 10,000 a week gets in one year - £520,000 - over two years over £1m.   Over 2 years that is the equivalent of someone earning a salary of say £30,000 a year for 30 plus years! 

They are well paid and can protect their future by using the money they earn wisely. If they blow it all on fancy cars and lavish houses and then find they can't support that lifestyle after they retire then that again is up to them - they didn't have to blow all their money in their short careers - and they know it is going to be a short career, so they have no excuses.

They are like the rest of us, human beings, with frailties and pressures and strengths and weaknesses - just because their career paths are different to many of us does not make them different in any other way.

Let me phrase it differently. 

They have a short while to become the best they can, play at the highest level they can and earn the most that they can.

If they don't take opportunities which arise, they might spend years wondering what could have done. 

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

And yet clubs are going to the wall!

through them spending more than they earn

and tell me who decides what is paid out......the club, perhaps ?

3 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I seem to remember that Teemu put on his social media that they were expecting their 2nd child, can anyone confirm that?

yes is true.His wife is pregnant pobably in 7th month also they have small daughter.I doubt Turkey is ideal place for this prety young family.

Still Pukki look shadow and unhappy last months so Im not confident he can stay but doubt like to move to 12 million hell like Istanbul.

Indy,

Despite the enormous sums at the top level of the football pyramid, it is simply not the case that the vast majority of footballers make life-changing amounts of money. 

Until very recently, third tier footballers would have been on around the same sums as many people in the street, with few earning £1,000 per week and plenty half that. In most second and third tier leagues around the world there is little money still. 

20 x teams x 25 players x 2 leagues = 1,000 people total in the English football earning well. 

Risk of injury high, likelihood of earning well from first contract to last low, one or two contracts in the middle to make your money. Education is often traded and the life is peripatetic. 

I am certainly not here to defend footballers wages, or argue the economics of supply and demand, though context of any profession needs to be borne in mind. 

’Footballers’ is a wide spectrum and a catch-all statement for a vast array of professionals, the vast majority of which do not earn high sums across Europe, even today. 

Love or loathe agents - and (despite the PR) a good agent can certainly be well worth the money - they always look to maximise the career (financially and in a sporting and pastoral sense note) of their clients. There is plenty of competition if they don’t.

Pukki has not always earned a fortune, we got him from Denmark only a very few years ago where his wages (given his career) would have been reasonably modest in context (hence our ability to get him). 

Turkey (as an example) can pay good wages. Quite possibly double (or more) than we will now pay him. What should his agent do? What would your Dad say to you about a double-your-money job offer for doing the same job and the same hours?

Parma 

nb: as others have noted, the opportunity during the ‘10 year playing career’ likely outstrips anything that an uneducated young man can earn afterwards. They can go to University, qualify as a brain surgeon or sweep roads, though football has a way of dominating the soul - before, during and after a professional career (rightly or wrongly).  

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

2 hours ago, daly said:

Try his wife probably the best place to start

I don’t think he’d be too pleased if I was to “ try his wife “

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Most top level footballers make more in a year than the average wage earner in the UK manages in 20

And that's an understatement. 

23 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Until very recently, third tier footballers would have been on around the same sums as many people in the street

We're not talking about a third tier footballer though are we.

Pukki frequently played European football at Brondby, Celtic, and Schalke. 

He's played at a high level for the past 10 years. 

16 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Indy’s comment was about top level footballers though, not those in the lower divisions. 

To be fair though, Parma didn’t specify top level footballers. It is just a clear fact that a footballer’s playing career is significantly shorter than most normal people’s career. So yes they have to make their money in a decade/fifteen years or so.

I doubt Pukki has made mega bucks in his career. He’ll be comfortable of course but not mega bucks.

And to be honest, I think Indy’s comment is a bit naive. Why should a player (or anyone) think “well, in comparison to the UK average salary, I’m already earning more than most people, so I won’t take more money which would make me and my family more comfortable”? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Turkey (as an example) can pay good wages. Quite possibly double (or more) than we will now pay him.

Last year Besiktas didn't pay some players wages for 4 months and they had to complain to UEFA, so there is that to consider as well.

I'm pretty sure Besiktas aren't among the big payers in Turkey like Fenerbache and Galatasary.

Their top earner is said to be Lens on about £33k a week. You'd think that Pukki is on £20k or something here? 

1 minute ago, Aggy said:

To be fair though, Parma didn’t specify top level footballers.

The thread is specifically about Teemu Pukki though, so what does the wages of Dean Lewington at MK Dons have to do with the price of fish?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Last year Besiktas didn't pay some players wages for 4 months and they had to complain to UEFA, so there is that to consider as well.

I'm pretty sure Besiktas aren't among the big payers in Turkey like Fenerbache and Galatasary.

Their top earner is said to be Lens on about £33k a week. You'd think that Pukki is on £20k or something here? 

I wouldn’t expect him to go unless he gets European football as well - I’m not sure the money in a Turkey would be good enough to move just for the money.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

The thread is specifically about Teemu Pukki though, so what does the wages of Dean Lewington at MK Dons have to do with the price of fish?

I wouldn’t say Pukki was a top level striker.

Just now, Aggy said:

I wouldn’t expect him to go unless he gets European football as well - I’m not sure the money in a Turkey would be good enough to move just for the money.

I could see why Pukki would want European football, I suspect if he does leave that will be his motivation.

But lots of players have problems with corruption in Turkey and not getting paid, and its not the most politically stable place in recent years. 

If European football or the chance of winning another domestic cup or something was his motivation I reckon he should try Eredivisie, he'd have a field day in that league and would be well suited to the football. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Turkey only charges 15% tax as a flat rate to all footballers. So even if the got the same basic salary he’d get considerably more in take home - he’d also likely get a fairly sizeable signing on fee. 

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

I wouldn’t say Pukki was a top level striker.

Why mention it then. What does Aquero's 'top level striker' wages or Dean Lewington's average League One player wages have to do with anything, its completely irrelevant to the topic which is whether Pukki would be interested in a move to Turkey. He's miles below one of them and miles above the other. 

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Turkey only charges 15% tax as a flat rate to all footballers. So even if the got the same basic salary he’d get considerably more in take home - he’d also likely get a fairly sizeable signing on fee. 

But if money was the sole motivation of footballers then any Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal player might as well clear off to China, like Oscar did when he was offered £400k a week. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why mention it then. What does Aquero's 'top level striker' wages or Dean Lewington's average League One player wages have to do with anything, its completely irrelevant to the topic which is whether Pukki would be interested in a move to Turkey. He's miles below one of them and miles above the other. 

Sorry I’m not sure what point you’re making. Parma said footballers have a decade to make their money. Indy bones went on an off topic rant about top level footballers. I said to be fair to Parma, he didn’t mention top level footballers, he just said footballers. So whilst I’d agree neither of your examples is particularly relevant, I’m not really sure what your point is? 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I don’t think he’d be too pleased if I was to “ try his wife “

nor would she, I should imagine  😆

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But if money was the sole motivation of footballers then any Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal player might as well clear off to China, like Oscar did when he was offered £400k a week. 

I think a lot more would if they had the chance to be honest.

Chinese clubs are limited in how many overseas players they can have and there was a dramatic rule change in China to stop them spending loads on overseas players - there is basically a 100% tax rate on transfer fees - so if you sign a player for £20m you have to pay an additional £20m in tax. That’s why we have seen the number of players going to China basically stop. 

Money isn’t the only motivation for many footballers - that is true. It is hard though for many, who haven’t been earning a huge amount in their career (such as Pukki) to turn down a very lucrative contract offer if it comes towards the end of their career. 

The reporting has been that pretty much all Norwich players have had a 50% wage reduction  and only one is earning £20k or over. If that is the case it means Pukki could probably be considerably better remunerated elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember that when he arrived Teemu did say that he had better financial offers elsewhere so he isn’t completely led by money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Indy,

Despite the enormous sums at the top level of the football pyramid, it is simply not the case that the vast majority of footballers make life-changing amounts of money. 

Until very recently, third tier footballers would have been on around the same sums as many people in the street, with few earning £1,000 per week and plenty half that. In most second and third tier leagues around the world there is little money still. 

20 x teams x 25 players x 2 leagues = 1,000 people total in the English football earning well. 

Risk of injury high, likelihood of earning well from first contract to last low, one or two contracts in the middle to make your money. Education is often traded and the life is peripatetic. 

I am certainly not here to defend footballers wages, or argue the economics of supply and demand, though context of any profession needs to be borne in mind. 

’Footballers’ is a wide spectrum and a catch-all statement for a vast array of professionals, the vast majority of which do not earn high sums across Europe, even today. 

Love or loathe agents - and (despite the PR) a good agent can certainly be well worth the money - they always look to maximise the career (financially and in a sporting and pastoral sense note) of their clients. There is plenty of competition if they don’t.

Pukki has not always earned a fortune, we got him from Denmark only a very few years ago where his wages (given his career) would have been reasonably modest in context (hence our ability to get him). 

Turkey (as an example) can pay good wages. Quite possibly double (or more) than we will now pay him. What should his agent do? What would your Dad say to you about a double-your-money job offer for doing the same job and the same hours?

Parma 

nb: as others have noted, the opportunity during the ‘10 playing career’ likely outstrips anything that an uneducated young man can earn afterwards. They can go to University, qualify as a brain surgeon or sweep roads, though football has a way of dominating the soul - before, during and after a professional career (rightly or wrongly), 

Parma, I appreciate that players certainly earn far less in lower divisions but probably even fourth division footballer earn between 3-10 thousand a month! That’s on par with top earners in most industries.

As others I’m pretty sure we’ve all had more than one career path through our lives, I know I have, changed from hands on engineering to design engineering which meant a change and more learning......

But my main point was about top level it’s just ludicrous and I’m of the opinion not just football, but that’s the current standards with tv and betting money.

I don’t really mind about what others earn, I’ve turned down higher paid contracts because I’m content working for my current buyers. That’s peoples choice but what I do get miffed with is this only a short career, as you can go on to do other things.......you don’t have to retire but change path!

2 hours ago, Bill said:

through them spending more than they earn

and tell me who decides what is paid out......the club, perhaps ?

Absolutely Bill, clubs trying to compete and buy to keep fans happy, as some call it ambition I call it gambling with the club future!

But if we had salary caps and squad restrictions throughout the division making it more competitive in each league and flowing more money down the pyramid instead of the top 8 teams basically taking the to 50% of the money.....it would be a little more controlled.

Just an opinion but you are right it’s the club who take the gamble!👍

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

Further to JF's earlier post neither of the two houses for sale on Right Move belong to Pukki or Buendia. They live in that development but not in those houses. 

Edited by Barry Brockes
Duplication
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

I've been in those two houses delivering vegan sausage rolls for Gregg's, I can confirm the accuracy of these posts.