Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Pukki links to Turkey

I really hope this is not the case as i am a great admirer of him despite the second half of the PL season. I really think he can make a valuable contribution with us in the championship. Clearly what i do not know is what he wants, what his family wants and what Norwich want. At his age he probably will only have one more decent payday, Norwich could get a fee and he was free but it would cost a lot to replace the Pukki of the championship season and he is fit and must have a good 2 or 3 seasons left in him. Some may want to cut and run with him but i for one hope he stays

• Like 2

Turkish media are awful. They link every club with every player under the sun. Wouldn't read too much into it (from someone who lived there and followed fenerbahce for several years after I came back).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It probably depends on how he and his family like living in Norwich.  Footballing wise, it has been the highlight of his career and the fact that he took that form into international games for Finland, so he may love us enough to want to stay.  I hope so, on form he is a superb player, able to score, assist and work hard for the team. We need him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

It’s professional football. It’s a profession. 

His agent would only be doing his job. Right time, right money, right length of contract and something like this would be logical. 

Parma 

Agreed, but other factors might right now have a stronger than usual influence, especially where players have family. The Covid uncertainty won’t go away in a hurry and feeling the security, on many levels, of what you and yours are familiar with can be very powerful. We’ve all changed in these last few months and one of the ways for the better, in my opinion, is a greater awareness of the emotional needs of those around us. So I'm not disagreeing, just saying it's not so clear cut any more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

If anyone else posted that they would be getting the p1ss taken out of them big time 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Agreed, but other factors might right now have a stronger than usual influence, especially where players have family. The Covid uncertainty won’t go away in a hurry and feeling the security, on many levels, of what you and yours are familiar with can be very powerful. We’ve all changed in these last few months and one of the ways for the better, in my opinion, is a greater awareness of the emotional needs of those around us. So I'm not disagreeing, just saying it's not so clear cut any more.

I seem to remember that Teemu put on his social media that they were expecting their 2nd child, can anyone confirm that?

37 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

His agent would only be doing his job. Right time, right money, right length of contract and something like this would be logical. 

Parma 

I think that many players make the mistake of following the money. They are professional footballers but money is only one of three factors. A logical way of looking at it would be -

1) is the job a good fit with my strengths and my ideals as a footballer

2) where is the job and is it a place me and my family would like to live

3) does it offer good income and secutity.

So money/security is third on the list

Take Pukki - from what he has said, he followed this to the tee when signing for us and I believe he would follow the same criteria again. If he gets any offers, if he can't past one or two, then three will be irrelevant and he would stay.

I hope our young footballers follow the same course - like would Spurs be a good move for Aarons?  Not imo, because he would not get past number one - Mourinho would be a nightmare to work under.

There are different ways of being logical!

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think that many players make the mistake of following the money. They are professional footballers but money is only one of three factors. A logical way of looking at it would be -

Take Pukki - from what he has said, he followed this to the tee when signing for us and I believe he would follow the same criteria again. If he gets any offers, if he can't past one or two, then three will be irrelevant and he would stay.

I hope our young footballers follow the same course - like would Spurs be a good move for Aarons?  Not imo, because he would not get past number one - Mourinho would be a nightmare to work under.

How many footballers have you surveyed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Besiktas are also interested in Danny Welbeck. I'm not sure they would meet our valuation which is the first hurdle irrespective of what Teemu wants. If it were me I would decline their offer, but say they could have Drmic at half the price!

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It probably depends on how he and his family like living in Norwich.  Footballing wise, it has been the highlight of his career and the fact that he took that form into international games for Finland, so he may love us enough to want to stay.  I hope so, on form he is a superb player, able to score, assist and work hard for the team. We need him.

It probably depends on the money

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Besiktas are also interested in Danny Welbeck. I'm not sure they would meet our valuation which is the first hurdle irrespective of what Teemu wants. If it were me I would decline their offer, but say they could have Drmic at half the price!

According to Turkish media, Mesut Ozil has been Fenerbahce bound for at least 4 years now. It might materialise in the future as he's a boyhood Fener fan, but they have been pushing it as 100% done deal etc every transfer window for years.

Pukki fits the mould of strikers that succeed in the Superlig. Experienced around Europe and 30+ years old. He will be linked to a Turkish club every transfer window until he retires. 

Welbeck is probably only being linked because he has a similar profile to Danny Sturridge - Came through at a top club but never really made it. Similar age etc. Sturridge has been in Turkey with Trabzon and been pretty successful so far.

The Turkish media literally work in that kind of simplistic way. I'm convinced that they pull names out of a hat half the time.

Edited by kick it off

The money staying here will hardly be “bad” by any measure - presumably more than last season but clearly less than this.  For Pukki, the Euro 2021 argument is irrelevant as Finland are hardly awash with top players - playing and having a decent season in the Champs might actually be what’s best for him on that score.

Coincidentally or maybe not both Pukki and Buendía live on the same small development of about 5 houses and 2 of them are up for sale on right move. I don’t know if they are the ones they are living in or not that are up for sale 

Edited by JF

40 minutes ago, kick it off said:

According to Turkish media, Mesut Ozil has been Fenerbahce bound for at least 4 years now. It might materialise in the future as he's a boyhood Fener fan, but they have been pushing it as 100% done deal etc every transfer window for years.

Pukki fits the mould of strikers that succeed in the Superlig. Experienced around Europe and 30+ years old. He will be linked to a Turkish club every transfer window until he retires. 

Welbeck is probably only being linked because he has a similar profile to Danny Sturridge - Came through at a top club but never really made it. Similar age etc. Sturridge has been in Turkey with Trabzon and been pretty successful so far.

The Turkish media literally work in that kind of simplistic way. I'm convinced that they pull names out of a hat half the time.

From what I understand a lot of Turkish transfers are done by third party agents. That is agents that don’t actually work for the club or the player but try to make a transfer happen and then get a cut. I think this is why there are lots of rumours as these guys pump lots of stuff around to see what might stick. That is certainly the case in Portugal. 

If it is a real link I can see it tempting Pukki. He’s got one more big contract in him before he retires and 30 is often an age players look to move to get that big deal before it all starts to slide. Most well run clubs avoid these types of players so it is increasingly forcing them to explore new territories. Hence why we’ve seen a lot of older European players heading out to Japan again. 

I’m sure Pukki’s agent will have been contacted by various clubs to sound him out - but I feel it would be hard for any club to agree a fee with Norwich that both parties are happy with.

On one hand I feel it very unlikely Pukki will leave - everything seems a good fit for him at Norwich currently and he seems the kind of guy who values that. On the other hand he may feel he’s achieved all he can with the club and have the urge to play top flight football somewhere while he still has the chance. 

• Like 2

Frank, I block your posts because you are a troll. However on this occasion I’ll make an exception because your pathetic attempts to mis-represent  the meaning of a post will derail something sensibly written by someone else and some good contributions. 

Responses to this kind of speculation are often and understandably emotional and fan-based.

Pukki is as hot as he is ever likely to be. He has one last contract and he has just had his wages cut by 50%. It is his profession, his job, his future, his family’s future. 

Footballers move a lot. Their family’s move a lot. They have to make their money in a decade.

A 50% wage drop overnight. 

Turkey may be full of feeble rumours, though Pukki’s Agent scouring Europe for well-paid employment is entirely appropriate. 

Norwich might like to keep him, though they would not block a move along these lines. It would be futile.

All will be professional when parameters align. Professional football. Not fan football. 

Parma

ps: On a personal level I hope @crispeduk is correct. 

For reference by the way, Turkish footballers pay pretty much no tax (as far as I'm aware) so they can offer competitive salaries. Lots of high profile footballers end up there (Roberto Carlos, Robin Van Persie, Anelka, Eto'o etc)

No idea if true or not. Money would be better than championship wages though. If he moves to a club with European football as well, or even with a chance of winning a top flight title, then it’s a footballing decision as much as a money one as well. I guess it depends on whether he wants to move to Turkey but otherwise, seems like a decent (and realistic) move if there is anything in it. 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

How many footballers have you surveyed?

Footballers are like the rest of us - they are human beings - in case you hadn't noticed.  If anyone who pursues a particular profession moves jobs, they ask themselves those same questions.  Money is not always the top of the list - and should not be imo.  Money isn't everything.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

I seem to remember that Teemu put on his social media that they were expecting their 2nd child, can anyone confirm that?

Try his wife probably the best place to start

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Not unlike the experts on who is going where on here then

It would not surprise me - Pukki moving on

Having been 'replaced' by Dr Mick might be an indication of the club's view of where he will be next season, and he has been rather 'off the boil' recently

One thing is certain, Farke/Webber don't shy away from making what might be unpopular (to fans) moves

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

They have to make their money in a decade.

I'm not aiming this at you personally Parma, but this is the sort statement that really makes me angry.

Most top level footballers make more in a year than the average wage earner in the UK manages in 20, so a decade of these earnings is the equivalent of 200 years work for the average person!

What's even more frustrating is the idea that once a player has retired, they're suddenly unable to do ANY OTHER JOB and instead have to rely on the money they've made in their pro careers - where does this nonsense come from????

Even on a 'mere' 10k a week, these guys are literally coining it in, and we're meant to accept the BS that 10-15 years of this sort of money is somehow only just enough for them to survive on post-football?

Since when did earning millions over a pro career of 10-20 years make you both a pauper and completely unable to work afterwards?

Hard life for some isn't it.......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Footballers are like the rest of us - they are human beings - in case you hadn't noticed.  If anyone who pursues a particular profession moves jobs, they ask themselves those same questions.  Money is not always the top of the list - and should not be imo.  Money isn't everything.

Apart from the small matter of them trying to earn as much as possible in their short career because they are worried about their retirement, either in a few years when the legs go or next week after that bad tackle. 

Or maybe thinking that it could be the last chance to hit the big time and reach their full potential. 

So it's very unlikely that footballers are like the rest of us. 

8 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm not aiming this at you personally Parma, but this is the sort statement that really makes me angry.

Most top level footballers make more in a year than the average wage earner in the UK manages in 20, so a decade of these earnings is the equivalent of 200 years work for the average person!

What's even more frustrating is the idea that once a player has retired, they're suddenly unable to do ANY OTHER JOB and instead have to rely on the money they've made in their pro careers - where does this nonsense come from????

Even on a 'mere' 10k a week, these guys are literally coining it in, and we're meant to accept the BS that 10-15 years of this sort of money is somehow only just enough for them to survive on post-football?

Since when did earning millions over a pro career of 10-20 years make you both a pauper and completely unable to work afterwards?

I was going to post this too but didn’t want to be accused of being a troll for some reason

12 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

You only have to go back to the 70’s to find loads of ex pros doing second careers in other areas post football.

And some people still defend footballers for wanting £300k a week!