Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

EFL - Condensed Season 20/21

Going to get seriously congested. The season starts on Sept 12th and finishes on May 8/9th.

For reference in the 18/19 season we kicked off on August 4th and finished on May 5th.

I guess Sept 12 makes sense to get a reasonable gap from the end of this season (play off final is 4 Aug), but it does suggest a lot of midweek matches to play if we have to keep an early May finish.

After zero Tues/Weds games at Carrow Road in the league this season, sounds like we could have an awful lot coming up to make up for it!

If season ticket holders get to attend 1 in 3 or 4 games based on a ballot (with the reduced capacity), I'm hoping I manage to get some Saturday games!

Looks like a lot of Saturday and mid week games. The need to be able to rotate a larger squad of players will be important. Not all clubs will be able to afford a larger squad, that may work in our advantage.

• Like 2

A load of midweek games does rather make things harder for distance supporters, but I’ve built up a tonne of leave over the last 6 months so bring it on....all we need is to be let in and allowed back on the trains!

Beggars belief they're carrying on with the Nations League this season , causing 2 weeks breaks in Sept,Oct and Nov.

I'm sure this could have been dispensed with in a season where they've already got to cram everything in prior to Euro 2021

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Beggars belief they're carrying on with the Nations League this season , causing 2 weeks breaks in Sept,Oct and Nov.

I'm sure this could have been dispensed with in a season where they've already got to cram everything in prior to Euro 2021

Inactivity doesn't pay the 'bills' though GJL 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wonder if like League One and Two they will plan games during International Breaks but give teams the choice to delay if they have 3 or more player called up.

Makes an awful lot of sense. I'm guessing they couldn't/wouldn't consider postponing the League Cup next season? Plenty of midweek fixtures in the first two months of the season could be saved if they did...

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Makes an awful lot of sense. I'm guessing they couldn't/wouldn't consider postponing the League Cup next season? Plenty of midweek fixtures in the first two months of the season could be saved if they did...

There is talk of the teams that qualify for Europe all not entering the League Cup next season - should that happen it will put it at risk. I believe the EFL would cancel it, if they could get suitable compensation from the Premier League/Gov/FA. The League Cup is a good revenue generator for many lower league teams so there would be opposition for it going - but then that also depends on when fans can get back into grounds. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I suspect international managers want some games, and if it wasn't this they would be demanding to have a few friendlies. But I agree it will make the season harder. In the Championship. If my maths is right there are only 35 weekends for 46 fixtures before subtracting the international breaks for 2020, and I assume there will be one or two in 2021.

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I suspect international managers want some games, and if it wasn't this they would be demanding to have a few friendlies. But I agree it will make the season harder. In the Championship. If my maths is right there are only 35 weekends for 46 fixtures before subtracting the international breaks for 2020, and I assume there will be one or two in 2021.

Theres a 2 week international break in march 2021 ...for the european championship playoffs. I dare say they they would also have a couple of friendlies in the weeks leading up to euro 21.

I dont see that international friendlies 9/10 months prior to the finals in sept/oct this year would make much difference either way to an international manager

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Theres a 2 week international break in march 2021 ...for the european championship playoffs. I dare they they would also have a couple of friendlies in the weeks leading up to euro 21.

I dont see that international friendlies 9/10 months prior to the finals in sept/oct this year would make much difference either way to an international manager

Thanks. A point that occurs to me is that with such a crowded schedule, with many weekday matches, we ought to make as certain as we can, finances permitting, that we have cover in central defence particularly, so we are not gambling that some of our injury-prone players will be fit.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wonder if like League One and Two they will plan games during International Breaks but give teams the choice to delay if they have 3 or more player called up.

With Pukki, Sorensen, Placheta and players going to the U21's we'll probably qualify for games to be postponed.

We'll have to see if there is a 2nd wave of COVID. That early May finish may be highly optimistic if the death rate starts to ramp up again. Could be a messy protracted season, or even more congestion.

Championship has always been the toughest for fixture congestion, the only division that has to play 46 league games plus be affected by the international breaks, so the coming new season is going to be extra tough. Likely nearly every week will have a midweek league game where possible, so it could be a season where guys like Idah , Martin, Famewo etc. will get their  minutes on the pitch for the first team, perhaps often not thru choice but necessity to.

On 24/07/2020 at 16:34, A Load of Squit said:

Looks like a lot of Saturday and mid week games. The need to be able to rotate a larger squad of players will be important. Not all clubs will be able to afford a larger squad, that may work in our advantage.

Very much my thought about needing a larger squad, but while we're not the richest championship club we're certainly one of the best run so an advantage maybe. It might be we're not sending so many people out on loan or bringing in a few more than we normally do. Promoting youth is a certaintly and you get the feeling the January transfer window might see more activity than it normally does.

14 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Very much my thought about needing a larger squad, but while we're not the richest championship club we're certainly one of the best run so an advantage maybe. It might be we're not sending so many people out on loan or bringing in a few more than we normally do. Promoting youth is a certaintly and you get the feeling the January transfer window might see more activity than it normally does.

The other point is that the transfer window doesn't shut before the season starts but lasts until October 5, with two more weeks for deals purely between the EPL and the EFL.

I imagine in part to enable EPL clubs to offload players on loan deals to the EFL Possibly useful for us, especially given how well our loan deals went this season.🤩

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

The other point is that the transfer window doesn't shut before the season starts but lasts until October 5, with two more weeks for deals purely between the EPL and the EFL.

I imagine in part to enable EPL clubs to offload players on loan deals to the EFL Possibly useful for us, especially given how well our loan deals went this season.🤩

Potentially useful for getting homegrown players. I suspect Norwich will have a lot of their business done early with the exception being if they lose players like Aarons etc

On 24/07/2020 at 15:37, Branston Pickle said:

A load of midweek games does rather make things harder for distance supporters, but I’ve built up a tonne of leave over the last 6 months so bring it on....all we need is to be let in and allowed back on the trains!

With one of the solutions being suggested to get people into the stadium safely being that gates open 3 hours early, and fans being given a timeslot to enter the stadium at, it will make midweek kick offs even trickier.

I'm over an hours drive from Norwich, but if I finish work on time, I can get to a midweek game on time. That will be different if I need to enter the stadium at 4.45 or 5.45 though. It would even effect people working office hours that live in the City.

This latest report seems to suggest possibly no full stadiums at all next season;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53556072

Hopefully we get some confirmation soon from the club what the procedures will be.

33 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Whatever the club end up deciding about attendance next season it's bound to bring up as many arguments as the membership scheme did last time round.

There's no easy solution

It surely would have to be done on a rotating system. If the number allowed in is say 5,000 or roughly a quarter of the amount of season ticket holders, then that means season ticket holders will get to see around one every four matches, giving everyone an equal chance of seeing the same amount of games. Would count me out, as a casual, but at least it would be fair on season ticket holders - who I presume would then only have to pay 1/4 of the season ticket, or if they had already paid for the whole ticket, get a credit for the next season after that. 

Well it means we need a deeper squad, as simple as, and definitely can't afford to try and get away with not having two players for every position. Possibly need 3 keepers as well unless Farke rates one of the youngsters as ready. 

Likely mean more opportunity for youngsters throughout the league to get debuts etc, could be some positives. 

Also means that we need to think about going into the season with 4 strikers if Drmic is going to be one of them, 3 defensive midfielders if Tettey is going to be one of them, and 5 centre backs if Klose is going to be one of them, all three guaranteed to spend some time out injured every season now. 

Will bring opportunity for people like Josh Martin though. 

2 hours ago, CaptCanary said:

With one of the solutions being suggested to get people into the stadium safely being that gates open 3 hours early, and fans being given a timeslot to enter the stadium at, it will make midweek kick offs even trickier.

I'm over an hours drive from Norwich, but if I finish work on time, I can get to a midweek game on time. That will be different if I need to enter the stadium at 4.45 or 5.45 though. It would even effect people working office hours that live in the City.

This latest report seems to suggest possibly no full stadiums at all next season;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53556072

Hopefully we get some confirmation soon from the club what the procedures will be.

Would it also take 3 hours to empty the stadium then? What happens if you need a wee at the final whistle, but you've got an hour to wait for your time slot to leave? 

How would mid-game urination even work? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Hoping that if fans not allowed  in there will be more tv coverage than the usual 3 mins or so usually shown  in the championship 

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It surely would have to be done on a rotating system. If the number allowed in is say 5,000 or roughly a quarter of the amount of season ticket holders, then that means season ticket holders will get to see around one every four matches, giving everyone an equal chance of seeing the same amount of games. Would count me out, as a casual, but at least it would be fair on season ticket holders - who I presume would then only have to pay 1/4 of the season ticket, or if they had already paid for the whole ticket, get a credit for the next season after that. 

Sounds a reasonable plan Lakey plus there’ll be people like me who probably won’t be going at all to free up some more seats.

The logistics will be a nightmare though. Couples might be OK but larger numbers who go together will find it tricky and those of our ageing season ticket population who need the gents regardless of pre-match drinks will want to be plonked in aisle seats.

I wouldn’t want to be the one trying to sort that lot out....

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

31 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

How would mid-game urination even work? 

Kilts and some kind of funnell/pipe system. In the terraces how did it work?