cambridgeshire canary

Cant be the only one thinking next seasons championship looks rather poor?

Don't get me wrong, still one of the strongest and toughest leauges around and I think we will struggle to get into the top 6 and all

But this does look like a rather poor bunch of teams.20200723_164023.thumb.jpg.e4ceee27d77bc6a4fb84764ff4947518.jpg

Compared to Liverpool (away first fixture,) Manchester City (3 points thus far,) Chelsea, Arsenal, Man.U.  and Spurs (beat in the cup) etc.etc.?

It's a doddle.

We look fit to tackle that lot. I think that all the relegated sides will do well  ... that gap widens by the season.

A packed Carrow Road would be most useful, but that's an unknown at the moment.

"Big Lil Old Norwich" for me. We are the yo-yo boys after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

There will inevitably be a hangover from such a poor season in particular the end to it. Add to that there will be player comings and goings, but we do have a decent championship squad and there will be optimism that Farke can work some magic with the young players that are coming through as he has done over the last 2 seasons. It is always a big ask to come straight back up with all the psychological baggage  of relegation and player turnover and probably season 2 will be a more realistic target for promotion but we are definitely in there with a good chance this coming season. Lets hope that some of the youngsters make a break through and new signings settle quickly not to mention a bit of good fortune on the injury front, i would be very disappointed not to be top half and really top 6

Depends how you define poor. There's only three? teams there who've never been in the top flight, a former premier League winner, plus at least one other first division winner (I suspect a couple more have but I'm not bored enough to look it up) As well as European and English cup winners. 

It will be tough from the start. Well be ok tho. Or at least up for the challenge.

Edited by The Raptor
I was wrong
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Depends how you define poor. There's only three? teams there who've never been in the top flight, a former premier League winner, plus at least one other first division winner (I suspect a couple more have but I'm not bored enough to look it up) As well as European and English cup winners. 

It will be tough from the start. Well be ok tho. Or at least up for the challenge.

I was going to say that. It might not have Leeds and WBA, but it could have Norwich, Villa and Watford! And Coventry back in their too.

Obviously I wish we were still in the top flight but it's going to be a very interesting and hard season to say the least. Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Given how we have little idea what their squad make ups will be, it is a bit silly to be comparing teams with clubs

Every season there are teams that surprise, in either their strength or their failure

Brentford almost made automatic promotion while Hull fell apart spectacularly

For those interested, have a check up on how things were predicted to go - at the beginning of Aug 2019

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=championship+predictions+aug+2019

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Given how we have little idea what their squad make ups will be, it is a bit silly to be comparing teams with clubs

Every season there are teams that surprise, in either their strength or their failure

Brentford almost made automatic promotion while Hull fell apart spectacularly

For those interested, have a check up on how things were predicted to go - at the beginning of Aug 2019

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=championship+predictions+aug+2019

We may have taken on Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea

But I would still feel more comfortable with us playing Luton, Wycombe and Stoke than them 😂

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

But I would still feel more comfortable with us playing Luton, Wycombe and Stoke than them 😂

eh ?

If we manage to finish in the top half I will be relieved. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to next season. Yet, I'm convinced with a changed squad and a hangover we may not start well. There are no easy games.

The statistical likelihood means that in a 24 team league, the chance of a top 2 place is 8.33% and top 6 is better at 25%. I don't think as a relegated team we will greatly influence or improve those bare statistical chances.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

eh ?

Believe or not I think we have a better chance of beating Wycombe than beating liverpool

Hard to believe I know

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

If we manage to finish in the top half I will be relieved. Don't get me wrong I'm really looking forward to next season. Yet, I'm convinced with a changed squad and a hangover we may not start well. There are no easy games.

The statistical likelihood means that in a 24 team league, the chance of a top 2 place is 8.33% and top 6 is better at 25%. I don't think as a relegated team we will greatly influence or improve those bare statistical chances.

those bare statistical chances, only have any relevance if all 24 start equal

otherwise in a 100 yard sprint against Usain Bolt I would have a 50% chance of winning

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Believe or not I think we have a better chance of beating Wycombe than beating liverpool

Hard to believe I know

eh ?

where did I make any comment to that end ?

You hear this kind of thing every season...it's a tough league, it's a poor league, etc etc.....but that is only a person's perception, not the reality. If you say it's a poor league, then people will be saying that we should be ashamed if we don't do well. If you say its a strong league, people will be saying "we're not going to be good enough". It just lends itself to negative thinking, either way and we all know there are plenty of people who like to be negative!

I like DF's quotes on this kind of thing - his line is "it is what it is" which is a good mantra!

1 hour ago, Bill said:

those bare statistical chances, only have any relevance if all 24 start equal

otherwise in a 100 yard sprint against Usain Bolt I would have a 50% chance of winning

That was my point Bill. And also saying that even as a relegated team I don't believe we have a 'Usain Bolt' type advantage. I know not all 24 teams start equal but for the purposes of my post I'm assuming they do!

Made sense to me anyway.

As above, as we don't know the strength of each club's squad then making claims at this stage is silly

No claim just a view that the statistical chances remain 8% ceteris paribus. We certainly don't know who will over perform or under perform. Needless to say it will be a battle. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I think we will struggle to get into the top 6 and all

But this does look like a rather poor bunch of teams.

So let me get this right... You say it's poor, but we aren't in the strongest 6?!

That's the spirit. 

I thought it was a poor league this year.

Leeds best of an ordinary bunch...WBA promoted on 83 pts...and didnt win any of their last 4.

Brentford 3rd!...and lost their last 2

70 pts enough to get into the playoffs.

I'll take a league that weak next season and I agree ,it looks like it could be weaker still considering the clubs up from league one and who they've replaced.

I would however like Fulham out of the way...and still undecided who would be ln worse shape out of Villa or Watford

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Dutchman said:

So let me get this right... You say it's poor, but we aren't in the strongest 6?!

That's the spirit. 

Didnt say that, said it would be a struggle. Championship always is, the pressure combined with the nonstop games and so, so many of them is part of what makes it tough, without the quality of the teams 

Reminiscent of Farke saying about the lack of quality in some of the teams which beat us this season. 

Win = 3 points 

Draw = 1 point 

Losers get relegated!

If it’s looking like a poor league then let’s have no excuses. Even though Norwich can be a little reserved to splash the cash they definitely will have more spending power than most. 

4 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Stoke will be top 6 next year as he has sorted them out....

• Like 1