Sign in to follow this  
Duncan Edwards

If We Were To Retire A Shirt Number...

Which would it be? Who did it belong to and what did they achieve to warrant this honour?

I'm not sure we've had anyone quite do the things Jude Bellingham has done for Birmingham but we have our own legends that we could acknowledge with this symbolic gesture of worship and thanks.

Number 20. Carlo Nash. This is the way.

Plus it would mean Drmic has no shirt number so would just have to leave.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Which would it be? Who did it belong to and what did they achieve to warrant this honour?

I'm not sure we've had anyone quite do the things Jude Bellingham has done for Birmingham but we have our own legends that we could acknowledge with this symbolic gesture of worship and thanks.

I think Wes would've been OK. Probably Gunny too tbf. Not sure anyone else in my lifetime warrants it.

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I think Wes would've been OK. Probably Gunny too tbf. Not sure anyone else in my lifetime warrants it.

Nobody warrants it in my opinion. The closest for me is Gunn, but even then, I wouldn't retire it.

• Like 1

Number 1 - Bryan Gunn

For the number of appearances he made, his two player of the season awards and his pivotal role throughout our most successful period as a club.

I also always felt the fans had a real personal connection with Bryan after the tragic death of his daughter Francesca. How he kept playing for us during that time I'll never know. 

OTBC

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I also always felt the fans had a real personal connection with Bryan after the tragic death of his daughter Francesca. How he kept playing for us during that time I'll never know. 

OTBC

Didnt he turn out for us within 48 hours of her death?

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Didnt he turn out for us within 48 hours of her death?

Hello Kick It Off,

Not sure exactly, but it was a few days at most. Amazing commitment through unimaginable pain.

OTBC

For me it would have to be Kevin Keelan a loyal servant for SEVENTEEN years as a player here and our record appearance maker turning out 673 times.

• Like 4

Has any club ever retired their no.1 shirt? One for the footie mastermind brigade.

For me, like installing statues, it’s an act for truly exceptional circumstances and irreplaceable players. There’s no reason for every club to do either tribute.

Still, not suggesting it can’t be discussed 🙃

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

For me it would have to be Kevin Keelan a loyal servant for SEVENTEEN years as a player here and our record appearance maker turning out 673 times.

My mum's favourite player! Before my time so didn't pick him.

OTBC

Just now, GenerationA47 said:

Has any club ever retired their no.1 shirt? One for the footie mastermind brigade.

For me, like installing statues, it’s an act for truly exceptional circumstances and irreplaceable players. There’s no reason for every club to do either tribute.

We need a statue of Tettey's knees.

OTBC

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Portsmouth.

Their keeper died in a car crash while or just after playing for them.

Aaron Flahavan

correction now I've checked my facts and not just relied on my memory. They retired it for the season.

Edited by The Raptor
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Wolves poignantly did it for Ikeme.

Here's the others:

image.png.90e5fcbf0cac7f604e9512f23f934816.png

• Thanks 1

Surely you have to retire it at the time someone leaves the club or before someone else takes it??

9 minutes ago, daisy said:

Surely you have to retire it at the time someone leaves the club or before someone else takes it??

I mean, if this was to happen (which nobody is suggesting it is) I suppose that would be ideal. But they announce squad numbers every year so probably not essential? 

West Ham retired Bobby Moore’s in 2008🤷‍♂️

Controversial opinion time.

I wouldn't retire a shirt number. Name a stand or part of the stadium, build a statue or memorial, bring in the player as an ambassador, have a friendly game and dedicate it to him or her etc 

But retiring a shirt number? Not for me.

31 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sounds good, we'll retire the number 673. 😉

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I was thinking of him just before I read your take. If, and it is an 'if' we were to do such a thing, then KK would be the most deserving.

I personally really like the idea of young players wanting the shirt numbers of club greats, and trying to better their achievements, so I'm mostly against it.  On the other hand there are tragic cases like Marc--Vivien Foe where it feels more fitting.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Spot on with that, Forbes not far behind and Huckerby deserves a mention for his loyalty and vowing never to play for another club against Norwich. 

I can accept the wish to remember a player who died tragically during his playing time with a club - our own POTS. But this nonsense is debasing those acts, by looking to find a player to fit such maudlin nonsense - rather than finding a suitable tribute to a tragic loss.

Football grounds are in danger of becoming 'high church' - where statues and relics are treated with reverence akin to holy artefacts. 

From our choreographed hymn singing before the game, to having ill children wheeled out and an almost fortnightly minutes silence or applause for events outside the football world, fans have set themselves on a path of 'holier than thou' toward other fans

It only requires Alf Ramsays statue to start 'weeping' before numpties will be wanting to touch it so as to cure all manner of maladies and woes

.... though sheer stupidity will undoubtedly be one that remains incurable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

I can accept the wish to remember a player who died tragically during his playing time with a club - our own POTS. But this nonsense is debasing those acts, by looking to find a player to fit such maudlin nonsense - rather than finding a suitable tribute to a tragic loss.

Football grounds are in danger of becoming 'high church' - where statues and relics are treated with reverence akin to holy artefacts. 

From our choreographed hymn singing before the game, to having ill children wheeled out and an almost fortnightly minutes silence or applause for events outside the football world, fans have set themselves on a path of 'holier than thou' toward other fans

It only requires Alf Ramsays statue to start 'weeping' before numpties will be wanting to touch it so as to cure all manner of maladies and woes

.... though sheer stupidity will undoubtedly be one that remains incurable.

Barry Butler Died while he was playing for us in a Car Accident ,so Nice the club has a POTS award after him 

• Like 1

Big Dunc for me... when I stood on the River End as a kid he was a colossus of a man... use to love how he would take out forwards and then dust them down, help 'em up and never get booked or sent off....