Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

A signal of intent

Alan Pardews words - not mine, but they were used to explain why they paid over the odds for Ashton.

Fast forward a week and after 9 days of hot air and false dawns our signal of intent has been to capture 2 players on loan.

The first, Johansson, is not a main striker (his stats back me up on that) and yet we have sold ours so it would have been nice to have acquired one. Andy Gray would have been a snip at £1m - he scored 16 goals last season for Sheff Utd. It didn''t need to be a superstar

The second, is a good prospect I''m sure, but in the eventuality that he performs well for us, that would only go towards building his career at Fulham. He is not one for our future. Not to mention the fact that we really needed a right midfielder and not another Gary Holt clone.

These signings smack of getting players in to tide us over. But tide us over until what?? Who will come in the summer??

We are languishing in mid table with a slim chance of play-offs. These players will not get us there. Our signal of intent is that we are happy being little old Norwich, counting our cash.

Earnie signs - now thats more like it City!!

p.s. any chance theres a right sided midfielder yet to come??

[quote user="rieg77"]Alan Pardews words - not mine, but they were used to explain why they paid over the odds for Ashton. Fast forward a week and after 9 days of hot air and false dawns our signal of intent has been to capture 2 players on loan. The first, Johansson, is not a main striker (his stats back me up on that) and yet we have sold ours so it would have been nice to have acquired one. Andy Gray would have been a snip at £1m - he scored 16 goals last season for Sheff Utd. It didn''t need to be a superstar The second, is a good prospect I''m sure, but in the eventuality that he performs well for us, that would only go towards building his career at Fulham. He is not one for our future. Not to mention the fact that we really needed a right midfielder and not another Gary Holt clone. These signings smack of getting players in to tide us over. But tide us over until what?? Who will come in the summer?? We are languishing in mid table with a slim chance of play-offs. These players will not get us there. Our signal of intent is that we are happy being little old Norwich, counting our cash.[/quote]

Heres a signal for you...... WRONG!

[quote user="A load of squit"]

[quote user="rieg77"]Alan Pardews words - not mine, but they were used to explain why they paid over the odds for Ashton. Fast forward a week and after 9 days of hot air and false dawns our signal of intent has been to capture 2 players on loan. The first, Johansson, is not a main striker (his stats back me up on that) and yet we have sold ours so it would have been nice to have acquired one. Andy Gray would have been a snip at £1m - he scored 16 goals last season for Sheff Utd. It didn''t need to be a superstar The second, is a good prospect I''m sure, but in the eventuality that he performs well for us, that would only go towards building his career at Fulham. He is not one for our future. Not to mention the fact that we really needed a right midfielder and not another Gary Holt clone. These signings smack of getting players in to tide us over. But tide us over until what?? Who will come in the summer?? We are languishing in mid table with a slim chance of play-offs. These players will not get us there. Our signal of intent is that we are happy being little old Norwich, counting our cash.[/quote]

Heres a signal for you...... WRONG!

[/quote]another reasonable post squit, eh?  Despite your moralising you''re no better than anybody else.

Really, I believe the Worthy and the Board wanted to send a similar signal of intent, and buy three or four good quality players, but they found the prices going stratospheric. When you''ve sold a player for the sort of money Ashton brought in, that''s not surprising, so maybe they should have gambled and bought earlier in the window. They''ve ended up buying a very good player in Earnshaw (paying over the odds maybe, but not if we get the full potential from him) plus two decent prospects on loan, and hopefully also Davenport on loan unitl the end of the season. That gives us a squad of 25, but with 4 long-term injuries. I reckon we need two more just to make up the numbers, let alone fill the tactical holes. But it''s not too bad. Hopefully Rehman and Johanson will be more like Crouch and Davenport than Bentley and Marney in terms of their contribution.