cambridgeshire canary

Chris Hughton- the new Bristol manager

Pleased to see Hughton back in management. Although some of the football under him here was turgid, he never deserved the tirade of abuse he got when he was sacked (and still receives by some on this forum). He always conducts himself with great dignity and has a high level of respect within the game. Whether he can push Bristol City up a level to get in the play offs / automatic is another matter of course but only a fool would back against that.

Another club who could be very dangerous next season is Stoke who have finished very strongly and a good manager in charge. Fully expect them to make a charge.

• Like 2

Truly a dignified man who commands respect and he will get Bristol City very close next season but ............ if he did get them promoted they would be wise to part company with him as he cannot manage in the Premiership.

• Like 1

Hughton's a bit Ranieri-esque in that you can't help but admire his dignity, decorum and sheer sense of decency, and I don't doubt that he's a fundamentally very sound manager of men even if his tactics can be turgid. That said, Ranieri carries it off better with his own quirky brand of foreign charm and is more likely to come up with a funny quip for the press corps. He's one I'll happily wish well wherever he goes, unless he goes to Ipswich.

I'm surprised how he keeps getting work. I'm sure Bristol City have done their due diligence but with the exception of Birmingham City you only have to look at Newcastle, Brighton and us to see how it pans out. Get used to binary scores football. A likeable enough guy but his football ethic is woeful. 

He seems a nice guy. Nothing against him personally. Just his football is dire. He's a man who ignores that sport is an entertainment in favour of the end outcome. 

Fine for some. Not for me.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

No doubt he’ll do ok for a few years and then be sacked and no one else will quite ‘get’ why, again. 

Yes. I think the trouble is that in the Premier League he has always managed a struggling club (or one such as Newcastle) that thinks it should be doing better than it is). And then his most defensive instincts come to the fore, which include carrying on playing as if the score is 0-0 when the opposition are 1-0 up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canary73 said:

I'm surprised how he keeps getting work. I'm sure Bristol City have done their due diligence but with the exception of Birmingham City you only have to look at Newcastle, Brighton and us to see how it pans out. Get used to binary scores football. A likeable enough guy but his football ethic is woeful. 

I'm probably Hughtons biggest critic, I think he was absolutely awful with us and it made me not want to watch football. I never, ever, ever want to witness football like that again, ever (ever ever ever). However, he did quite well at Newcastle and was sacked a little unfairly, wasn't he?

He seems to be great in the Championship and mind-numbingly defensive in the prem. His time at Brighton reflects that quite well.

I'd be interested to see how he would do with a top 10 PL team.

5 hours ago, Canary73 said:

I should imagine it’s looking at Brighton what’s made them go for him.

I wish him good luck like I did wee Neil.

The point has been made that he always managed lesser Premier League clubs, ie. those up against it from the outset.

The comparison with Ranieri is valid up to a point, but Ranieri inherited the cream, for the most part, whilst the Hoots usually got a poorer hand.

He was, in fact, a good tactician and the series of videos he brought out about this aspect of the game is well regarded. 

He was also unlucky in as much as the strikers he signed failed to live up to expectations, especially RVW and also Hooper to a lesser extent. 

Many of us were frothing at the mouth at the prospect of those two.

Intelligent individual who I suspect the players liked.

My money is on Bristol City doing well next season.

14 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Truly a dignified man who commands respect and he will get Bristol City very close next season but ............ if he did get them promoted they would be wise to part company with him as he cannot manage in the Premiership.

You can apply that thinking to Alex Neil and Daniel Farke?

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes. I think the trouble is that in the Premier League he has always managed a struggling club (or one such as Newcastle) that thinks it should be doing better than it is). And then his most defensive instincts come to the fore, which include carrying on playing as if the score is 0-0 when the opposition are 1-0 up.

Yeah I think if Brighton showed anything it is that he didn't really learn from his mistakes here- he can't escape his naturally cautious nature.

18 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Pleased to see Hughton back in management. Although some of the football under him here was turgid, he never deserved the tirade of abuse he got when he was sacked (and still receives by some on this forum). He always conducts himself with great dignity and has a high level of respect within the game. Whether he can push Bristol City up a level to get in the play offs / automatic is another matter of course but only a fool would back against that.

Another club who could be very dangerous next season is Stoke who have finished very strongly and a good manager in charge. Fully expect them to make a charge.

Was it a tirade of abuse? There were a few clappers thrown on the pitch...

19 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

i Agree Great Manager In championship will play good football ,

But he changes as soon as he hits the Premiership seems he loses all confidence and makes his time play totally different football that got them up  

20 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And then his most defensive instincts come to the fore, which include carrying on playing as if the score is 0-0 when the opposition are 1-0 up.

I think that accusation can also be levelled at our current head coach.

43 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think that accusation can also be levelled at our current head coach.

I mean no.

If there's one thing Farke DOESNT have its defensive instincts.

Edited by hogesar

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I mean no.

If there's one think Farke DOESNT have its defensive instincts.

The playing as though it is still 0-0 when you are 1-0 down is about right.

A real gent and what i would describe as a steady Eddie. He is defensive minded and can do a job, but his style of play often gets the supporters frustrated. He did a goodish job at all the clubs he managed, yes you can get a lot more exciting manager but he will do you a decent job, i would expect him the get Bristol City top half

Bristol C promoted under Chris Hughton in a few years what planet are you on when does a coach/manager get a few years to conclude a project.