cambridgeshire canary

Dennis Man will NOT be joining us

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Unfortunately, you could also say the same about Poland. Catholic notions of "family values" are still pretty pervasive there.

Unfortunately true, although there seems to be movement in a positive direction - Duda (very homophobic and right wing) just won the Polish election, but only 51-49 against Trzakowski who is incredibly liberal by Polish standards and campaigned openly for LGBTQ+ rights.

That's a big jump for a very conservative country like Poland, so hopefully there will continue to be positive movement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Unfortunately, you could also say the same about Poland. Catholic notions of "family values" are still pretty pervasive there.

Haven't certain areas in Poland made their areas 'LGBT free zones?' Recently?

Pretty sad. Then again in nearby Russia you get thrown in jail for being gay so..

8 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Unfortunately true, although there seems to be movement in a positive direction - Duda (very homophobic and right wing) just won the Polish election, but only 51-49 against Trzakowski who is incredibly liberal by Polish standards and campaigned openly for LGBTQ+ rights.

That's a big jump for a very conservative country like Poland, so hopefully there will continue to be positive movement.

Here's hoping. I like Warsaw a hell of a lot, in fact it's probably my favourite city of all the cities / towns I've ran half-marathons in, and I've done them in 15 different countries. Furthermore, I find Poles to be very hospitable people on their own turf, but there are prevailing attitudes there which seem a bit dated to Western European sensitivities.

That said, I was going to say this is a problem in Eastern Europe but it may be far more accurate to say it's a problem in areas where religion is still a bedrock of society. Plenty of fundamental Bible-bashers even in "advanced" countries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Here's hoping. I like Warsaw a hell of a lot, in fact it's probably my favourite city of all the cities / towns I've ran half-marathons in, and I've done them in 15 different countries. Furthermore, I find Poles to be very hospitable people on their own turf, but there are prevailing attitudes there which seem a bit dated to Western European sensitivities.

That said, I was going to say this is a problem in Eastern Europe but it may be far more accurate to say it's a problem in areas where religion is still a bedrock of society. Plenty of fundamental Bible-bashers even in "advanced" countries.

Yep, everywhere has issues, but you're right, this particular issues is embedded anywhere religion still has a strong grasp. Look at the bible belt in the USA, Australia still has a lot of tolerance issues for a developed country, most Islamic countries and you find similar attitudes. I find Poles are quite cold until you get to know them, and then are incredibly hospitable when you do.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Haven't certain areas in Poland made their areas 'LGBT free zones?' Recently?

Pretty sad. Then again in nearby Russia you get thrown in jail for being gay so..

To be fair, in Poland, you get a kicking for being Russian 🤣

There's still an awful lot of animosity from the USSR days. Especially when you have **** hooligans coming to Euro 2012 and unfurling banners saying "This is Russia" on Polish soil and arranging marches over the Wistula on "Russia day".  =Was only ever going to end one way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/euro-2012/9327483/Euro-2012-183-arrested-after-Polish-and-Russian-clash-as-march-descends-into-violence-on-Russia-Day.html

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

To be fair, in Poland, you get a kicking for being Russian 🤣

There's still an awful lot of animosity from the USSR days. Especially when you have **** hooligans coming to Euro 2012 and unfurling banners saying "This is Russia" on Polish soil and arranging marches over the Wistula on "Russia day".  =Was only ever going to end one way.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/euro-2012/9327483/Euro-2012-183-arrested-after-Polish-and-Russian-clash-as-march-descends-into-violence-on-Russia-Day.html

I was going to say, Placheta's got moxie for going into a dressing room full of Germans! Not as if there's been that much history over the centuries...

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

I was going to say, Placheta's got moxie for going into a dressing room full of Germans! Not as if there's been that much history over the centuries...

Very little in terms of animosity for Germans these days surprisingly. Seems to have died down over the last 20 years or so - presumably because there's an awful lot of Poles in Germany and vice versa. Russia is where the beef is at. Remember Poland started the fall of the Iron curtain with Solidarnosc, Lech Walesa and the shipyard in Gdansk so the Russians don't like Poles much better.

Just now, kick it off said:

Very little in terms of animosity for Germans these days surprisingly. Seems to have died down over the last 20 years or so - presumably because there's an awful lot of Poles in Germany and vice versa. Russia is where the beef is at. Remember Poland started the fall of the Iron curtain with Solidarnosc, Lech Walesa and the shipyard in Gdansk so the Russians don't like Poles much better.

Very fair point about the number of Poles in Germany and indeed cross-border cooperation. I remember that from my year living in Guben (one of the three divided towns when the Oder-Neisse Line became the new eastern German border as the town on the other side of the river suddenly became Polish and was called Gubin) as both towns were looking to cooperate together to develop their collective lot.

Germany and Poland can still get a rivalry going on the football pitch though. I do know in the Stadion Naradowy in Warsaw they have several framed shirts as an exhibition from the only match they beat the Germans in.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Germany and Poland can still get a rivalry going on the football pitch though. I do know in the Stadion Naradowy in Warsaw they have several framed shirts as an exhibition from the only match they beat the Germans in.

Yeah football rivalry is big - Most decent Polish players historically ended up playing in Germany and I think that pisses a lot of Poles off. Our best 3 players of last 30 years all ended up playing for Klopp's Dortmund team (Piszczek, Blaszczykowski and Lewandowski). Seem to be a lot of Polish footballers moving to Italy instead these days.

Edited by kick it off

3 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Yeah football rivalry is big - Most decent Polish players historically ended up playing in Germany and I think that pisses a lot of Poles off. Our best 3 players of last 30 years all ended up playing for Klopp's Dortmund team (Piszczek, Blaszczykowski and Lewandowski). Seem to be a lot of Polish footballers moving to Italy instead these days.

Hey, who needs ravioli when there's pierogi and pyzy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Who'd go to Romania for their holidays anyway?  😄

Nearly did this year as a matter of fact. Had eyed up the half-marathon in Iasi and a long weekend over there until the pandemic put a stop to it. (Although the plan to visit was largely due to having a friend over there). You'll find Transylvania has a fine reputation for being great hiking/wandering territory, Sibiu is a former European Capital of Culture (and UNESCO listed, I think), and Sighisoara's old city is a UNESCO protected cityscape like the old cities of Warsaw or Prague.

Eastern Europe has a lot to offer with the fall of the iron curtain. Quite a few of the countries there are right up my radar.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Hayley and Roy Cropper if I remember correctly.

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nearly did this year as a matter of fact. Had eyed up the half-marathon in Iasi and a long weekend over there until the pandemic put a stop to it. (Although the plan to visit was largely due to having a friend over there). You'll find Transylvania has a fine reputation for being great hiking/wandering territory, Sibiu is a former European Capital of Culture (and UNESCO listed, I think), and Sighisoara's old city is a UNESCO protected cityscape like the old cities of Warsaw or Prague.

Eastern Europe has a lot to offer with the fall of the iron curtain. Quite a few of the countries there are right up my radar.

If that's your bag buddy - you might want to look into unrecognised countries too. Transnistria is apparently like going back to before the Iron Curtain fell - hammer and sickle everywhere etc (or so says Simon Reeve when I went to see him give a talk last year).

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/georgia/articles/top-10-unrecognised-countries-and-how-to-visit-them/

• Like 1

Just now, kick it off said:

If that's your bag buddy - you might want to look into unrecognised countries too. Transnistria is apparently like going back to before the Iron Curtain fell - hammer and sickle everywhere etc (or so says Simon Reeve when I went to see him give a talk last year).

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/georgia/articles/top-10-unrecognised-countries-and-how-to-visit-them/

Already know of Transnistria and the capital, Tiraspol.

If there's a half-marathon there, there's a chance I'll run it, but Transnistria is not too high on my "to run" list if I'm honest, especially compared to some other countries - and I've also heard the same thing about it being basically going back in time. That makes sense considering that Moldova is basically the attempt at looking West, whilst Transnistria was founded by all the die-hard Communists east of the Dniester river. I was eyeing up Chisinau (Moldova) but there are plenty in September, and then there's always Polmaraton Praski in Warsaw, which is probably my favourite one anyway and is always at the end of August/start of September.

(That said, it didn't stop me doing Tallinn the week after in 2018, and Stockholm the week after in 2019, and indeed eyeing up Pristina at the end of September this year, but you never know).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

@PurpleCanary Webber was jokingly saying he went there on holiday and then ended up being linked with this player Man.  Perhaps he should go to Brazil next time?

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Sighisoara is fascinating, although the supposed Dracula connection is played up. And the Danube delta is well worth a visit, especially going to one of the towns at the end of one of the three channels there are, such as Sulina or Sfantu Gheorghe, which are only accessible by boat. And Slovakia is interesting - a bit off the tourist track and slightly time-warped.

48 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

@PurpleCanary Webber was jokingly saying he went there on holiday and then ended up being linked with this player Man.  Perhaps he should go to Brazil next time?

Ah. I had missed the joke.😳

Back on topic 😉, given our pretty disastrous transfer record this season, I’m far more comfortable buying PP for £2.7 million than Man for £9m, or whatever we actually bid. Gives us plenty to spread the risk around a couple more of players with potential.

This could be the double bluff walk away ploy! If no one else comes near our offer they’ll be back!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Oh dear really? 

You think we should throw nearly 15 million quid on a player totally unproven in a top league? 

Not really, but it is another reminder of our place in the food chain. We are being increasingly left behind by clubs with rich owners prepared to spend money and its making me really question my love for the game sadly.

17 hours ago, City 101 said:

How do you know that they are over pricing him , we will want £25 million for Cantwell who has achieved what exactly .

A full season in the EPL and 6 goals from midfield in a struggling team