Pugin

Oh, the £100m irony

And who cares what they say? Because they wouldn't be saying that two existing EPL clubs also invested but got relegated. 

49 minutes ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

They'll still get it back though, just because they'll then spend it again is totally irrelevant 

With respect, that’s a load of ballcocks. If they’d spent better this season, they could upgrade if they stay up, improving their side and giving themselves a chance of ending up higher than 17th. Basically they’ve wasted what they spent this season.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

With respect, that’s a load of ballcocks. If they’d spent better this season, they could upgrade if they stay up, improving their side and giving themselves a chance of ending up higher than 17th. Basically they’ve wasted what they spent this season.

I never said that they spent it as wisely as possible, I said they will get that money back by finishing 17th. That is 100% factually correct........ With respect 😉

Off topic but just flashed up on screen, Adam Lalana has only played 8% of Liverpool games in the last 3 seasons. £110,000 a week !!! 5th highest earner. Premier League is a joke!! 

Remember singing at Southampton- ‘Your just a sh1t Ricky Lambert’ ..... yeah what happened to him ?? 

OK Virgil van **** on (a bit) more money and annual wages - 95% starts !! 

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

Off topic but just flashed up on screen, Adam Lalana has only played 8% of Liverpool games in the last 3 seasons. £110,000 a week !!! 5th highest earner. Premier League is a joke!! 

Remember singing at Southampton- ‘Your just a sh1t Ricky Lambert’ ..... yeah what happened to him ?? 

OK Virgil van **** on (a bit) more money and annual wages - 95% starts !! 

Dijk

22 hours ago, sgncfc said:

No, they won't - as my earlier post says; because what they've spent already on the not good enough players listed they will have to spend all again. Round and round in circles.

This has to be the strangest post I have ever read on here.  

The premier league gives you money to help make the league a better product, not to be tucked away never to be seen again.  Why wouldn't you want to stay up and reap the reward of getting money to strengthen?  

Odd. 

2 hours ago, Ren said:

The premier league gives you money to help make the league a better product, not to be tucked away never to be seen again.  Why wouldn't you want to stay up and reap the reward of getting money to strengthen?  

Odd. 

If only that were true. The TV money in itself is nowhere near enough to make a club competitive. You might want to look in a bit more detail at the financial structure of the Premier League, which rewards the clubs who consistently finish higher with a lot more money than the clubs who finish near the bottom, so perpetuating the dominance of the bigger clubs and increasing the gap. The top 6 clubs pretty much win every competition, every year. They always will because they have the most money and can buy the best players. Teams like Norwich would have to spend a lot more than the money they get by getting to the Premier League if they hope to compete to even finish 17th - Villa have spent £140m on transfer fees this season to maybe finish 17th, plus another estimated £81m on wages - in return for which they will get about £105m from the Premier League in TV and prize money. Liverpool will get more than £150m, but that's not enough to run their club or pay the transfer fees and wages they need to compete for the title.

That's why you need a billionaire owner prepared to bankroll a club to have a chance of competing - but even then, that doesn't mean you can win anything. Leicester excepted (owned by multi billionaires) and a couple of Cup wins in the last 20 years by the likes of Swansea and Wigan, no one outside the top 6 have a hope. Everton and Newcastle have spent hundreds of millions trying to break into the elite group and consistently failed. Leicester are trying currently, but will probably fail.

Does that make the league a "better product"? 

On 22/07/2020 at 18:57, Crafty Canary said:

Should Villa stay up then the pundits will be able to say that 2 of last season’s promoted clubs invested and stayed up and Norwich City didn’t and didn’t. You just know it will happen.

Ultimately they will be right though? The other two sought to grab the opportunity... Invest a bit... Try. It worked. Put nothing in you get nothing out.... that's where we are. Poor effort and back where the owners feel comfortable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ren said:

Odd. 

Exactly.. only fans I know that think a season like we have just had is ok because our owners are fans and don't spend any money. 

On 22/07/2020 at 19:17, Nuff Said said:

This has to be one of the most idiotic and incorrect posts I’ve ever read on here and there’s been some contenders.

Would you like me to explain why? 

2 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

This has to be one of the most idiotic and incorrect posts I’ve ever read on here and there’s been some contenders.

Go on then, entertain me.

4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

For starters you make the assumption that all of Villa’s signings are a waste of money. Why? Several are being linked to moves to bigger clubs already. Matt Target for example has been linked to Man City and Liverpool and touted to be in the next England squad. If they do go down they will sell him for far more than they paid. Douglas Luiz and Mings also.

You seem to be using their league position to justify the claim their signings and players are rubbish. So by that logic, with Norwich rock bottom, all our players are rubbish and signings like Sam Byram are terrible? I doubt you would accept that.

Are you aware why Villa had to sign so many players? From January onwards 4 of their key players were on loan and needed to be replaced or signed permanently. Also I can think of 3 key players for them last season off the top of my head: Jedinak, Hutton and Whelan who were all 35 I think in the summer and out of contract. They needed replacing. 

Also, last season we finished 18 points ahead of Villa and this season Villa will likely finish 15 or so points ahead of us. Thats a swing of over 30 points and evidence to me that the players Villa HAD to sign have improved them significantly.

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 17:18, sgncfc said:

No, they won't - as my earlier post says; because what they've spent already on the not good enough players listed they will have to spend all again. Round and round in circles.

What makes you come to the conclusion they’re all not good enough? Villa have clearly improved massively compared to last season and a few of the players they’ve signed are already being linked with moves to bigger clubs.

I think Mings is the oldest signing they made at 26? The midfielders they signed are in their early 20s and worth way more than the players they replaced like Glen Whelan and Mike Jedinak.

Also, why the assumption they can’t improve? You will say the young Norwich players will improve with experience but the Villa players won’t?

10 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

For starters you make the assumption that all of Villa’s signings are a waste of money. Why? Several are being linked to moves to bigger clubs already. Matt Target for example has been linked to Man City and Liverpool and touted to be in the next England squad. If they do go down they will sell him for far more than they paid. Douglas Luiz and Mings also.

You seem to be using their league position to justify the claim their signings and players are rubbish. So by that logic, with Norwich rock bottom, all our players are rubbish and signings like Sam Byram are terrible? I doubt you would accept that.

Are you aware why Villa had to sign so many players? From January onwards 4 of their key players were on loan and needed to be replaced or signed permanently. Also I can think of 3 key players for them last season off the top of my head: Jedinak, Hutton and Whelan who were all 35 I think in the summer and out of contract. They needed replacing. 

Also, last season we finished 18 points ahead of Villa and this season Villa will likely finish 15 or so points ahead of us. Thats a swing of over 30 points and evidence to me that the players Villa HAD to sign have improved them significantly.

You make some fair points, but I’m not sure they really invalidate what I said. If Villa have spent well, surely most of their recruitment once the season is over would be to upgrade on a couple of players? Whereas, given they have a team who at best will barely scrape 17th, it looks like they need a much more wide-ranging overhaul.

You draw a comparison with us - I think if we had seen our “little miracle”, most of us would agree we would need several replacements ether than just one or two marquee-type upgrades.

Also, it could be argued that there’s not much wrong with Villa’s squad, as you imply. What they actually need to do is replace the manager. (And a similar argument could be made for us, although less justified IMHO).

11 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I'm quite entertained that 'Tash only had time to have read a couple of posts anyway.

People are much braver these days. When I first joined it took me a while to find my feet. Now they're straight in looking for a ruck.

Only if you take things at face value of course...

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I'm quite entertained that 'Tash only had time to have read a couple of posts anyway.

People are much braver these days. When I first joined it took me a while to find my feet. Now they're straight in looking for a ruck.

Sorry I am not a regular on here like some who seem to have nothing to do all day but post, so not sure what you are trying to say?  

New members are not new members?  Sorry for being stupid, but unsure what you are driving at?  

3 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I’m still reeling from the revelation that you’re not a bog cleaner Nutty. 😆

On 22/07/2020 at 08:49, Ren said:

Why do our fans go on about spending all £140m, we had a way better team than Villa last year, but it needed strengthening, we all knew that and Webber failed to do it, so the point is that we could and should have spent some of our "pot of gold" received for promotion.  For this I can only blame the board and Stuart "we are so lucky to have him" Webber.

So how much then? How much debt should we have taken to guarantee EPL membership?

36 minutes ago, Ren said:

Sorry I am not a regular on here like some who seem to have nothing to do all day but post, so not sure what you are trying to say?  

New members are not new members?  Sorry for being stupid, but unsure what you are driving at?  

Like I said I was entertained by it. Found it amusing. In my mind's eye it could be a sketch on Harry Enfield where a guy goes into a pub for the first time ever, goes straight up to the bar, doesn't say hello or buy a drink, confronts a group of people having a chat and tells them they're saying the most idiotic and incorrect stuff he's ever heard in there and there's been some real contenders.

I guess you don't find that at all amusing. Each to their own.

Edited by nutty nigel

On 22/07/2020 at 13:10, Gordon Bennett said:

All of the signings were punts due to having to shop from the loans and freebies shelves

Which signings aren't punts?

Haller £45 million; Wesley £22 million; Joelinton £40 million + the wages!

"Sure things" are only "sure things" in hindsight!

On 22/07/2020 at 19:22, Michael Wynless Jones said:

I never said that they spent it as wisely as possible, I said they will get that money back by finishing 17th. That is 100% factually correct........ With respect 😉

No it isn't. Assuming the transfer figure is correct (i.e. £140 million) you have not taken four years wages into account.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m still reeling from the revelation that you’re not a bog cleaner Nutty. 😆

Only because I was made redundant. I still have the skill set but I'm only available for consultation these days.🚻🚽🚾

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Only because I was made redundant. I still have the skill set but I'm only available for consultation these days.🚻🚽🚾

Being a Consultant... does that make you  Mr Nuttyo now then?

4 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Being a Consultant... does that make you  Mr Nuttyo now then?

Yes. And I hope the ordinary run of the mill doctors who post on here give me the relevant respect.

On 22/07/2020 at 07:28, Pugin said:

Facebook is a horrible place for an NCFC fan at the moment.

Surge of people saying 'look at Villa. If we had spent £150m we would have stayed up'. What irony. If that had happened, Villa would have gone down and been financially wrecked. So the very stick that people are hitting City with only proves the lunacy of spending beyond your means.

A love a good circular argument 🙂

Facebook is a horrible place.........The End.

• Like 1

I recall the old regime being castigated by the new regime for pi88ing accrued Premier League riches up against the wall. That same new regime now has riches after yet another relegation from the Premier League- the most ignominious so far, yet once again, a good earner. The fans should stop beating themselves up for being critical of this regime. Unless of course they actually spend some of the money this time rather than once again pleading poverty. The following comment about the new signings so far is not encouraging:

“Perhaps they have not come from the best leagues but they have lots of potential,” said Farke. 

9 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Facebook is a horrible place.........The End.

Yes, it can be, but gotta say that my Facebook isn't horrible. I restrict it to 100 people who are genuinely decent individuals that I know and like. The contact with them is friendship-enhancing.

Got a few Groups but if they attract moronic behaviour they soon get deleted. It's easy to get antagonised, frustrated, shocked and disappointed by FB, but it doesn't have to be that way. 

I agree that to people of a normal disposition,  some of the attention-seeking garbage is horrible and you do see small glimpses of it even on here.