Pugin

Oh, the £100m irony

Facebook is a horrible place for an NCFC fan at the moment.

Surge of people saying 'look at Villa. If we had spent £150m we would have stayed up'. What irony. If that had happened, Villa would have gone down and been financially wrecked. So the very stick that people are hitting City with only proves the lunacy of spending beyond your means.

A love a good circular argument 🙂

• Like 2

Villa might yet go down, they are benefiting from having played against an Arsenal who look to have downed tools after a week of beating Liverpool and Man City. I actually think the team who chances have increased the most is Bournemouth, as I could see both Villa and Watford loosing on Sunday.

I'll be honest. I really would love Villa to go down. They would struggle without "Big G" in the middle of the park. Watford need a culture change... i'm sure manager Troy Deeney would rally the troops.

You can’t spend what you don’t have. Now this season is coming to an end it’s clear we are a good few players short of survival. We could have pushed the boat out a little bit but with our bad luck with injuries I’m not sure it would have saved us.
I’m really looking forward to next season. Plenty of new players and hopefully building for a better crack at the premier league. 

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, spending 150 million to scrape 17th sure is a viable financial strategy.. 🙃

If Villa stay up they will double the net £139m spend even if they get relegated next season but I guess its as risky a strategy as having to sell £45m players to survive....

Why do our fans go on about spending all £140m, we had a way better team than Villa last year, but it needed strengthening, we all knew that and Webber failed to do it, so the point is that we could and should have spent some of our "pot of gold" received for promotion.  For this I can only blame the board and Stuart "we are so lucky to have him" Webber.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Ren said:

Why do our fans go on about spending all £140m, we had a way better team than Villa last year, but it needed strengthening, we all knew that and Webber failed to do it, so the point is that we could and should have spent some of our "pot of gold" received for promotion.  For this I can only blame the board and Stuart "we are so lucky to have him" Webber.

Completely agree with you. We now May have £100mm from player sales, will we spend all that? Can we get 6 better players in just to replace the leavers?

29 minutes ago, Alfie54 said:

Completely agree with you. We now May have £100mm from player sales, will we spend all that? Can we get 6 better players in just to replace the leavers?

I doubt we will make any big signings as usual it will all be talk , we have already enquired about Dennis Man ran away from the £10 million asking price and settled for the Polish lad at around £1.5 million . Can we get 6 better players to replace the leavers ? That’s an easy one to answer , not a hope in hell .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

If Villa stay up they will double the net £139m spend even if they get relegated next season but I guess its as risky a strategy as having to sell £45m players to survive....

If Villa stay up, they will probably have to spend another £150m to progress beyond 17th. Spending more every year than your income purely on survival - is that really what we are aspiring to?

• Like 1

I am pretty satisfied that we spent as much as we could in the summer on loan fees, wages, signing on fees and the transfer fee for Byram. The bottom line is that we are paupers compared to everyone else in the PL and several in the Championship and unfortunately only one of the signings was a success. Add that to the horrendous injury list and the lockdown break which killed what little momentum we had and having to play in empty stadia (yes I know it’s the same for all) and we were always likely to fail. All of the signings were punts due to having to shop from the loans and freebies shelves and unfortunately apart from Byram none of them improved our starting eleven which was a recipe for disaster. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, City 101 said:

I doubt we will make any big signings as usual it will all be talk , we have already enquired about Dennis Man ran away from the £10 million asking price and settled for the Polish lad at around £1.5 million . Can we get 6 better players to replace the leavers ? That’s an easy one to answer , not a hope in hell .

Which could be a shrewd transfer if they don't think the more expensive player has a significantly better chance of being successful.

It's called being sensible with transfers and not spending unneccesarily.

The ironic thing is, had we paid £10 million for Placheta half of you on here would be talking about what a fantastic signing it was.

The level of stupidity on here is not so much amazing, but all too predictable

No understanding of how transfer payments are structured, or how much we had to pay out in contingency payments, bonuses etc due to promotion.

No understanding that wages rises would have automatically risen due to promotion

No mention that had we 'pushed the boat out' and been relegated we would have faced payment levels in both transfer wand wages that could not be met on Championship income - the same problem that almost bankrupted us a couple of seasons back.

How did the club manage to attract such idiots ?

59 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If Villa stay up, they will probably have to spend another £150m to progress beyond 17th. Spending more every year than your income purely on survival - is that really what we are aspiring to?

Not true.... The players they bought are worth consideably more than the ones they replaced so even if they move them on, their net spend may well not be anywhere near the £139 they spent ( it's not more than their income by the way) this year. 

I really don't think we should be criticising Villa for having a chance of staying in the top flight, especially when we had to sell Madison and the Murphy twins to survive. Or maybe you think that is what we should aspire to? People seem to have forgotten our perilous financial state....

I would rather be in Villas shoes now.... One game with it in our hands rather than the shambles we are currently in.

Do people really think Dean Smith will be given another £100+M to spend next season? No. He will probably been sacked and a manager from Europe brought in.

And I still am amazed that we debate about spending £100M. When will that ever be likely? Of course it won't.

I expect the same people advocating such a thing are the same ones who said what a waste of money RVW, Naismith, Wildschutt were.

Villa did make it to a Wembley final this season and they beat us twice. They must have a fair chance of surviving on the last day whereas we have known our fate for weeks. Good luck to Villa. Somebody was brave and took a huge gamble. Whereas  we spent pennies and Wycombe Wanderers will now have a fixture at Carrow Road next season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hadenuff said:

Villa did make it to a Wembley final this season and they beat us twice. They must have a fair chance of surviving on the last day whereas we have known our fate for weeks. Good luck to Villa. Somebody was brave and took a huge gamble. Whereas  we spent pennies and Wycombe Wanderers will now have a fixture at Carrow Road next season.

Another troll

joined just after midnight Monday morning and has posted nothing of relevance bar an attack on the club

How sad

We have been relegated. We have scored 1 goal since the restart. It's not a great time Bill.

I will post a picture of my refund cheque on here when it arrives. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, City 101 said:

5 hours ago, City 101 said:

At £1.5m each we can buy 6 players instead of one at £10m .... so there is that. 

Yes there is the “you only get what you pay for” mantra around transfers but Duda was valued at £20m , just saying ..... 

Unfortunately I think Villa will probably stay up now, though I’m desperate for Villa to go down as I don’t think they deserve to stay up when you compare the amount we spent and the amount they spent to the difference in our league positions. It’s not over yet though, and there is still a possibility that Villa might go down

8 hours ago, Ren said:

Agreed, also remember a lot of what Villa spent was signing loan players perminently, so they actually spent a lot less on 'improving' the squad 

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Not true.... The players they bought are worth consideably more than the ones they replaced so even if they move them on, their net spend may well not be anywhere near the £139 they spent ( it's not more than their income by the way) this year. 

I really don't think we should be criticising Villa for having a chance of staying in the top flight, especially when we had to sell Madison and the Murphy twins to survive. Or maybe you think that is what we should aspire to? People seem to have forgotten our perilous financial state....

I would rather be in Villas shoes now.... One game with it in our hands rather than the shambles we are currently in.

But that's not your choice is it? Your choice is a) where we are now or b) where Villa are now, but with debts of £140m. You'd seriously vote for b)? Can you imagine this messageboard if we had spent £140m we didn't have and were still only fighting for 17th?

And I'd suggest that most of their purchases are not worth considerably more than the ones they replaced - Wesley £22.5m; Luiz £15.12m: Targett £14m; Konsa £12m; Nakambs £11m; Samatta £10m. They'll do well to get that money back. Maybe they'll get their £26m for Mings - maybe.

By the way, I'd also suggest that Villa have had a fair smattering of good fortune since the lockdown - the "goal" against Sheff Utd and coming up against the worst and least motivated Arsenal side in living memory got them 4 points without which they would already be down.

Just now, sgncfc said:

And I'd suggest that most of their purchases are not worth considerably more than the ones they replaced - Wesley £22.5m; Luiz £15.12m: Targett £14m; Konsa £12m; Nakambs £11m; Samatta £10m. They'll do well to get that money back. Maybe they'll get their £26m for Mings - maybe.

If they finish 17th, which I think they will now, then they'll have already got their money back 

Just now, Michael Wynless Jones said:

If they finish 17th, which I think they will now, then they'll have already got their money back 

No, they won't - as my earlier post says; because what they've spent already on the not good enough players listed they will have to spend all again. Round and round in circles.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

One game with it in our hands rather than the shambles we are currently in

And we were in that position in 2004. It's not over yet.

Aston Villa went up via the play offs and in theory were the most likely to go down out of the promoted clubs. If they stay up it will be very tight, possibly by a narrow GD. They have a very exceptional home grown player in Grealish who is worth a mint, but very few of the players signed for £100m have made much of an impact. They turned us over twice and the pre pandemic game at carrow road was probably our worst and most humiliating capitulation all season . To be frank it does not bother me if they stay up or go down, they would probably be a bigger threat to our promotion aspirations than any of the other relegation options. If they stay up they will probably have a similar season again, not something i would wish on anyone

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

No, they won't - as my earlier post says; because what they've spent already on the not good enough players listed they will have to spend all again. Round and round in circles.

They'll still get it back though, just because they'll then spend it again is totally irrelevant 

Think the whole situation with fans on this board is that it’s a complete case of frustration regarding whether we should have borrowed and spent more.

Given the loans etc we signed this year were like our season a complete disaster 

Watched this club from the days when we finished bottom of Div 3 South and you couldn’t go any lower to  European football and seasons in the EPL but the ambition of NCFC seem to a minimum 

Should Villa stay up then the pundits will be able to say that 2 of last season’s promoted clubs invested and stayed up and Norwich City didn’t and didn’t. You just know it will happen.