Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Best coach/manager Norwich have ever had

I was old enough to be interested during the 'glory days' in the UEFA cup, was in the south stand for both Inter and Bayern visits. So I can't comment before that. For me there are only really three options for best manager / coach; Walker, Lambert and Farke (sorry Worthy).

Farke definitely has his faults, but for me he wins it. Walker second and Lambert third.

I only just remember the Stringer years. Walker’s first reign was superb, for obvious reasons. But the period I’ve enjoyed most was during Lambert’s tenure. It was a remarkable turnaround and achievement – back-to-back promotions and a strong mid-table finish in the top tier. We fought as a unit, gave everything and wouldn’t be afraid to change it as soon as it was clear our tactics weren’t working. Just a shame he wasn’t more loyal as a manager or respectful to our great club. 

Very difficult, but John Bond for me. His panache and cavalier attitude was so refreshing at the time and he changed the atmosphere at the club from the being a club on it's way down back to League Division One (as the championship was then) playing dour football, to one of being totally positive and playing full on attractive attacking football.

Ron Saunders did a brilliant job, but we were never going to stay in the top division long with him and with the players we had and could afford. Bond brought flair and excitement to the club - and talented and exciting players - Boyer and McDougall to name two - what a combination they were. Under him we were what everybody seems to want now - being virtually an established side in the top league. To get Martin Peters to play for us was amazing too.

It's hard to dismiss Brown, Stringer and Walker as being the best too - Brown continuing the good work after Bond, with some lovely football and the Milk Cup - which led on to Stringer - and that led on to Walker.  The big thing about that was the continuity of it all - everyone of them from within the club.

Since then we have had good spells - Worthy, Lambert, even Hughton who kept us up in the PL and on to Farke and his brilliant football last season. If Farke gets our mojo going again and can get us back up, he will elevate himself up to being one of the best - and we have had some terrific managers over the years. I can only go as far back as Lol Morgan - but I dare say some will say Macauly was one of the best too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Difficult to compare from different eras. It’s a bit like how I would like a classy night with Carla Bruni and a dirty night with Holly Willoughby, which would be best ?

All true but who turned you on more? Look at Ron’s physique on Mousehold hill. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

All true but who turned you on more? Look at Ron’s physique on Mousehold hill. 

I’d rather think about Carla’s to be honest

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Big O said:

If it’s results in top flight then walker has to be top doesn’t he? Did we finish 3rd or 4th under him, I’m loosing my memory. 

Yes you are correct but i put a lot of his success down to stringer so i based it on that 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Very difficult, but John Bond for me. His panache and cavalier attitude was so refreshing at the time and he changed the atmosphere at the club from the being a club on it's way down back to League Division One (as the championship was then) playing dour football, to one of being totally positive and playing full on attractive attacking football.

Ron Saunders did a brilliant job, but we were never going to stay in the top division long with him and with the players we had and could afford. Bond brought flair and excitement to the club - and talented and exciting players - Boyer and McDougall to name two - what a combination they were. Under him we were what everybody seems to want now - being virtually an established side in the top league. To get Martin Peters to play for us was amazing too.

It's hard to dismiss Brown, Stringer and Walker as being the best too - Brown continuing the good work after Bond, with some lovely football and the Milk Cup - which led on to Stringer - and that led on to Walker.  The big thing about that was the continuity of it all - everyone of them from within the club.

Since then we have had good spells - Worthy, Lambert, even Hughton who kept us up in the PL and on to Farke and his brilliant football last season. If Farke gets our mojo going again and can get us back up, he will elevate himself up to being one of the best - and we have had some terrific managers over the years. I can only go as far back as Lol Morgan - but I dare say some will say Macauly was one of the best too.

Yes, LDC. Well put.

35 minutes ago, shaunieboy77 said:

Loved the late 80s early 90s era. Shame Walker didn't stay longer 

It was a Fantastic Era , Not just Football either 

Not an out and out favourite but loved large chunks of Bond, Brown, Stringer, Walker, Lambert, Neil and Farke. As has been said, I would love to have had O'Neill for a while longer, to see how that would have panned out. They have all got their teams playing football how I love it to be played. The 'Norwich' way if you like. 

14 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’d rather think about Carla’s to be honest

Just get her to sing you one of her breathy songs...🙂 You may not always follow all those French words, but you might not care.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

It was a Fantastic Era , Not just Football either 

Agree very much. In the late 80s you felt we would go on to score 3 or 4 each week under Brown. 

The falling of the Berlin wall plus all those former communist regimes changing made it a fascinating period of history. Lots of disadvantage in society but also more optimism. 

Amazing when you look back and realise the ground was barely half full at times. The 80s had a massive impact with attendances all around the country but I don’t think any Norwich fan then would have prophesied full houses at Carrow now days. 

Difficult to compare across the different generations but I think Farke edges it for me.

But Mike Walker, Ken Brown and Dave Stringer all have to be right up there and not to forget Ron Saunders - fantastic job he did for us.

Perhaps not quite the greatest but also still have a great regard for John Bond as well.

Can't believe the number of people who've included Lambert but presumably it's an age thing 🙂

Dave Stringer for me. He really set up the "golden period" in the 90s, although credit to Mike Walker for his tweaking of the system. Honourable mention to John Bond, who really transformed how we played and set up our footballing tradition in many ways - a whole series of internal appointments from Bond onwards - I think it was Delia who ended this? 

Also honourable mention to Ron Saunders who got up up for the first time ever - although my dad hated the style of play so much that he stopped attending for a while!

Of the modern managers, it has to be Paul Lambert - shame that this has all ended as it has.

Just seen about O'Neill, so ignore my sentence about Delia ending the internal appointments 🤯

Edited by Badger
Corrected mistake

Its hard to pick one manager but there have been some great seasons in recent times.

I remember us being promoted back to then Divison 1 under Ken Brown after the Milk cup winning season. We played some fantastic free flowing football that year and looked a cut above in many games.

Dave Stringer deserved to win something with his considered style of football. 2 FA Cup semis but couod never make that last win.

Mike Walker's I guess was the best season of all. We really could and maybe should have won that very first Premier League. that is unlikely to ever happen again.

Lambert, three promotions in three seasons, stuffing the scum twice in one season with a 9-2 aggregate. Shame he ruined his legacy by being a complete **** at the end of it all...and ever since.

And then Farke last season. Some truly great football and a joy to watch. I really hope we can repeat that next year.

5 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Special mentions to Walker and Ken Brown too, you can forget we had top league finishing positions of 3rd, 4th and 5th. 

84 to 94 were peak Norwich City. 

Take into account im under 30 and I guess slightly begrudgingly id have to say Lambert is right up there. From when he took over in League One to when he left us in the Prem it was the most exciting ride I'd had till then. 

Again its difficult because the question makes me think of the best experience or periods and that doesn't actually necessarily make the better manager. For example, Hughton is probably a better manager than Lambert but I know what I enjoyed..

Farke is up there because last season the football was genuinely sensational at times and scoring nearly 100 goals was fantastic to watch.

Alex Neil, his first season - absolutely loved it and got to go to Wembley with my dad because of him - so will always have a soft spot.

6 hours ago, sonyc said:

I have been an active supporter since Saunders so for me it's the following in my top 5:

1. Stringer/Walker (joint). Great football, likewise results

2. Brown (amazing free attacking football). Used to love watching Drinkell & Biggins

3. Lambert (pains me to say but his years were "brulliant" and a breath of fresh air & no-nonsense... until the end!)

4. Saunders (first to develop a serious team of great pro's. In my first ever year of going to regular matches they got to the 1st Division)

5. Farke (for last year and a decent fella)

Honourable mentions to Neil & Bond. Wish Martin O'Neil had stayed but not enough games for us. He would have had success with us like he did at Leicester.

Worthy is unlucky as he may have supplanted Farke. May still do if DF tanks next season.

I'd bracket John Bond with Ken Brown if you're going to bracket Stringer with Walker. Bond signed Peters - the best transfer in our history (though Huckerby a close second and Grant Holt an even closer third).

Ron Saunders 

got them into the old first division and had the fittest team in that league played as a team each player knew how each other played and what they were going to do a solid team unit 

mike walker 1st stint took them to dizzy heights of Europe and the league 

John bond 

eccentric manager but got the team to perform after signing most of Bournemouth team 

Walker (1st Spell)

Some of the football was sublime. We were a force to be reckoned with. Not just winning but smashing the likes of Arsenal, Leeds, Everton, Liverpool away was great stuff. Brilliant time to be a Norwich fan.

Plus the European games against Vitesse, Bayern and Inter. Never to be forgotten.

Lambert. In his almost 3 years here I don't recall there ever being any questions or anger directed towards his team, his tactics, even his signings. I never remember a performance where the fans got on his back or the players didn't put in 100%. That alone singles him out from pretty much all of the other managers/coaches from recent times. We were a totally different Norwich for those years, no "little Norwich" culture and I always felt like we had a chance in every game. I really thought that that would be the turning point in our history and we'd go on to be established in the Prem under him.

Then he f**ked off to Villa.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Ron Saunders took over a holiday camp and got us to the top division for the first time. Everything that has happened since is down to him. 

Dave Stringer created the greatest Norwich team ever and forced the football world to take us seriously. 

What he said ⬆️