Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Plenty of teams facing points deductions in the Championship

I can't see the EFL starting before the EPL like they normally do, really hope Wigan escape as I rate Paul Cook as a manager. 

2 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

I can't see the EFL starting before the EPL like they normally do, really hope Wigan escape as I rate Paul Cook as a manager. 

I think the 12 point deduction should keep them above the bottom three - and as that is applied then so should all the other sanctions, that were for breaking FFP,

It's pointless talking about wage caps if there is no 'bite' to enforce them

ps Villa and Watford both play tonight, so we could know one of the others joining us in the CHs

Articles like this make be very grateful for our current ownership and club structure / strategy.

The grass is not always greener and for every Leicester, Wolves there are thrice as many bad examples!

• Like 2

For my understanding in respect of Wednesday, the issue isn’t that they sold the stadium per se? But how and when it was sold/potential accounting irregularities alleged? Is that right?

Edited by Aggy

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think the 12 point deduction should keep them above the bottom three - and as that is applied then so should all the other sanctions, that were for breaking FFP,

It's pointless talking about wage caps if there is no 'bite' to enforce them

ps Villa and Watford both play tonight, so we could know one of the others joining us in the CHs

It won't Bill as they are only 10 points above Luton and Charlton so will need to beat Fulham and hope either or both lose.

What a mess. The whole system needs a rethink.

The root of the problem is the financial inequalities between the PL and the rest of English football. 

Sadly, most of these clubs will appeal and get away with it. Just look at Man City.

Re Wigan. A 12 point deduction puts them in the bottom three. They would need to beat Fulham to have any chance of survival as they are two points behind Luton and Charlton.
Unless Sheff Wed get a 10 point deduction or Derby get a 15 point deduction and then they all lose the last game...then Wigan could stay up on goal difference. 

So cue a “tailored” points deduction after the season has finished for the latter two eh? 

p.s sorry DraytonBoy I see you posted similar.

Edited by Surfer

46 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

It won't Bill as they are only 10 points above Luton and Charlton so will need to beat Fulham and hope either or both lose.

yep. my mistake ... not checking, so apologies to all 😒

and with Wigan playing Fulham (who could still grab the automatic spot) I doubt they will pick up the three points needed

so should be an interesting night (checks first 😉)    ...... yes, tomorrow night

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

So when will the season start ? Based on this it will be chaos. Add to this list Villa and Bournemouth if relegated as they could not be charged under FFP as they were in the EPL. What a shambles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53484188

This will define whether FFP is actually worth the paper that its written on.

I suspect not but I live in hope that I might be surprised.

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

This will define whether FFP is actually worth the paper that its written on.

I suspect not but I live in hope that I might be surprised.

It will and of course Villa will face the same as Derby and SW if they are relegated. Bournemouth we were also told couldn’t be touched as they were no longer in the Championship. Assuming Wigan appeal how the hell can the season even start ?. 
There is another way of looking at this as well. The FA would have had to approve the Wigan owner, will they be held accountable ? Guess not !.

One last thought, assuming we need to start the season behind closed doors I wonder how many that will push over the edge ?

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Re Wigan. A 12 point deduction puts them in the bottom three. They would need to beat Fulham to have any chance of survival as they are two points behind Luton and Charlton.
Unless Sheff We’d get a 10 point deduction or Derby get a 15 point deduction and then they all lose the last game...So Wigan stay up on goal difference. 

So cue a “tailored” points deduction after the season has finished for the latter two eh? 

p.s sorry DraytonBoy I see you posted similar.

Any points deduction levied on Wigan and Sheffield Wednesday is subject to appeal. This is highly unlikely to be heard before the season ends. If the deduction is upheld it would be applied to next season and thus the clubs would not be relegated.

• Like 1

This does show the precarious nature of football finances below the PL and most of the current issues in the article really started before the COVID pandemic so goodness knows where we will be in 12 months time when sides have had to repay ticket money and play in front of no or few fans who are the bread and butter of their income

This is a consequence of clubs spending more than they earn ........income

(or 'hambition' as the numpties on here would have)

as I am sure fans of Wigan, Sunderland, Pompey, Bolton, Charlton, Hull etc would agree

or,  'ponce off others' ..... as the ever successful binners would have

Edited by Bill

Wednesday and Derby are two of the perceived big clubs in the division. The league won't send them down. If they get a points deduction this year it won't be bad enough. 

2 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Wednesday and Derby are two of the perceived big clubs in the division. The league won't send them down. If they get a points deduction this year it won't be bad enough. 

enough to pee on any promotion hopes, though

Lets hammer those disgusting clubs in the lower leagues. Can't have those upstarts bending or breaking rules. They should behave like all the EPL clubs. Pillars of Virtue one and all.

• Thanks 1

Why are points being taken this season? I thought the points would be deducted the start of the next season as Bolton were given!

Pointless taking points from teams who are safe, that’s no penalty, if the bottom three sides actually played within the rules those who broke them should automatically be relegated in my book!