Does anybody have first hand knowledge of this player? I've never seen him perform but the binners seem to rate him as their biggest asset.

A defensive (very) midfielder, with nothing to offer in attack apparently, and also, from what I have read he is a bit hot-headed, but has a massive work rate and is a player they seem anxious to unload to plug the financial gap that has arisen from their continued L. 1. existence, their continued willingness to sell their better players in order to mitigate against losses and with the lockdown greatly emphasising this situation.

Apparently Palace are interested at £3m, but the club wants more  and in true style some binner estimations amuse at £10m. Most of his experience is at L.1., but he established himself under Lambert's disastrous Championship surrender.

Seems a prospect and, on the surface,somebody who we could do with next season. 

Worth a punt @ c.£2-3m?  (It would also be yet another kick in the teeth for our rivals, but perhaps that's getting monotonous now. Like kicking a sick dog really.)

First hand knowledge of this fiery redhead?

Edited by BroadstairsR

I know about as much as you, that he's highly rated by the binners. I'm guessing with our continued links to defensive midfielders, Trybull must be on his way. We've already got Sitti in and now Jorgensen. I'd imagine Tettey will be expecting a fair chunk of Championship action next season given that he's probably been one of our five best performers in this season (not a great accolade given the context). Will we really enter the market for yet another DM?

As far as I'm aware he's a dynamic, mobile type of midfielder, good at breaking up play. In some ways the exact sort of player we could do with but I'm not sure he has the technical ability we'd need. 

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I know about as much as you, that he's highly rated by the binners. I'm guessing with our continued links to defensive midfielders, Trybull must be on his way. We've already got Sitti in and now Jorgensen. I'd imagine Tettey will be expecting a fair chunk of Championship action next season given that he's probably been one of our five best performers in this season (not a great accolade given the context). Will we really enter the market for yet another DM?

Perhaps so.

But Sitti is just 19  and neither of the two you mention will have experience of the English game in any case and may need time.

Downes will be oven-ready (if you'll excuse the phrase.)

Not particularly touting the binner's star man, and agree that he may be limited technically , but he's young and  it's a long hard slog in the Chumps and the price (with add-ons) might be sustainable.

Also, there's something more appealing about poaching their best than kicking a sick dog.

May be, but it's a team game and Lambert is useless anyhow. Plus, Downes was 19 at the time.

Todd Cantwell established himself under Farke's disastrous Premier League surrender after all.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

May be, but it's a team game and Lambert is useless anyhow. Plus, Downes was 19 at the time.

Todd Cantwell established himself under Farke's disastrous Premier League surrender after all.

Can't argue with that logic. 👍

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Can't argue with that logic. 👍

The other obvious (to me at least) is reece James at Wigan last season. When we played them away I got talking to a Wigan fan and he said he'd literally only bothered turning up for the previous 2 months to see James play.

However, I dont think Downes is good enough for us. I dont know much more than anyone else but my impression is that he's all blood and thunder without much finesse or technical ability.

Edited by kick it off

Every time I see him play against us he seems to want to just go round kicking our players

looks like an absolute Donkey, know  where near our standard but no doubt the star player for the bin dippers 

Edited by Uncle Fred

Is he any relation go Greg?

I'd have thought Wolfendeen is the player they consider their biggest asset and has had Premier League interest.

I've absolutely love Luke Wolfendeen here as a Ben Godfrey replacement, should Godfrey leave.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd have thought Wolfendeen is the player they consider their biggest asset and has had Premier League interest.

I've absolutely love Luke Wolfendeen here as a Ben Godfrey replacement, should Godfrey leave.

What is this binner love in about today? Something in the water 

Just now, Uncle Fred said:

It would proper wind the binners up if we signed their best player for an amount that doesn't sound huge to us but feels big to them, just to emphasise the gap between the two.

Sell Godfrey for £20m, buy Wolfendeed for £5m, laugh at the paupers. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

It might be fun to raid the binners for their best players, if any are good enough.

Well Leeds can't be our feeder team anymore can they, they've finally overtaken us. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wolfendeen has just signed a new contract with Ipswich, so he'll be there for at least the next season.

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wolfendeen has just signed a new contract with Ipswich, so he'll be there for at least the next season.

Doesn't necessarily mean that does it? Every player has their price. Ipswich are claiming that they can't afford to covid-19 testing regime required to start the season and have furloughed some of their players. They're broke.

Also, he could have a release clause. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

9 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Kane Vincent-Young for me.

Wolfenden seems raw.KV-Y seems accomplished.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Doesn't necessarily mean that does it? Every player has their price. Ipswich are claiming that they can't afford to covid-19 testing regime required to start the season and have furloughed some of their players. They're broke.

Also, he could have a release clause. 

Don't think I've ever seen a player sign a contract in July and then be sold in the next month or two. 

10 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Some truth in that.

Are we falling into the trap that the binners consistently do by over-rating their youngster?

On the other hand Vincent-Young was poached relatively cheaply from Col.U. and much to the dismay of Colchester supporters.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Don't think I've ever seen a player sign a contract in July and then be sold in the next month or two. 

I can remember Fabien Delph writing a statement on the Aston Villa website declaring his love and loyalty for the club and saying that he has no interest in joining Manchester City.... one week before joining Manchester City.

Ipswich fans rate any of their young players as incredibly special.. At any time in the last two years, Wolfenden, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Lankester, Nydam, El Mizouni and Dobra have been touted as the next best thing to come out of their elite academy ranks.

Hasn't stopped them turning into a midtable League One side.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He's only played 9 games for them this season?

Signed Aug. 2019.

WIKI:

"His form earned him the PFA Fans' League One Player of the Month award for September. In November 2019 it was announced that he would be out of action for three months due to a groin operation."

27 minutes ago, kick it off said:

The other obvious (to me at least) is reece James at Wigan last season. When we played them away I got talking to a Wigan fan and he said he'd literally only bothered turning up for the previous 2 months to see James play.

However, I dont think Downes is good enough for us. I dont know much more than anyone else but my impression is that he's all blood and thunder without much finesse or technical ability.

Reece James is a CHELSEA player. He was on loan at Wigan last season and has made a number of appearances for Chelsea this season! 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Ipswich fans rate any of their young players as incredibly special.. At any time in the last two years, Wolfenden, Bishop, Dozzell, Downes, Lankester, Nydam, El Mizouni and Dobra have been touted as the next best thing to come out of their elite academy ranks.

Yep! 

Remember Connor Wickham. Destined for international stardom yet became a Premier League also ran.

I's probably been so long since they tasted top class footie that their awareness of what it demands is rather diminished.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Reece James is a CHELSEA player. He was on loan at Wigan last season and has made a number of appearances for Chelsea this season! 

Including in the FA Cup Semi-Final the other day on national television 😆

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yep! 

Remember Connor Wickham. Destined for international stardom yet became a Premier League also ran.

I's probably been so long since they tasted top class footie that their awareness of what it demands is rather diminished.

I remember when Connor 'Canary Crusher' Wickham was going to be the perfect foil to partner Rooney up front for England.

They're the quintessential 'English mentality' team- any young player that shows even a sliver of talent is destined to lift the Champions League trophy.

15 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Very true.

If they had Carlton Morris they'd be saying he's the next Danny Ings.

Funny thing is that they routinely discard their best youngsters, like Jordan Rhodes and Nick Pope, but persevere with dross like Myles Kenlock and Josh Emmanuel. 

Bishop was actually a class youngster though, got crocked and didn't fulfil his potential. And they do punch above their weight in terms of numbers of players they produce considering their tinpot status. 

Woolfendeen to me looks like a player who is far too good for League One. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

5 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I remember when Connor 'Canary Crusher' Wickham was going to be the perfect foil to partner Rooney up front for England.

They're the quintessential 'English mentality' team- any young player that shows even a sliver of talent is destined to lift the Champions League trophy.

Happens everywhere to be fair- I remember us being all excited about the Jarvis brothers for example.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Happens everywhere to be fair- I remember us being all excited about the Jarvis brothers for example.

I got excited by Jamar Loza 😆

Probably still would be today if I were a King's Lynn fan to be fair. 

I can remember overhearing a mate of my dad's in a pub before a Norwich game talking about this kid we had breaking records in the youth team who was definitely the next Teddy Sheringham/Alan Shearer/Insert good domestic strikers at the time.

His name was Adrian Coote. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten