Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Sheffield United- Are they being found out?

No away day europa leuage trip to Barcelona for them it seems, unlike what thier fans have been saying the last few months.

I did call that I fully believed they would get found out at some point, and other than the high of beating Chelsea it does seem to be slowly going that way.

Anyone else feel second season syndrome might hit them hard? Full credit to Wilder for getting them were they are, very impressive even more so quite a few of thier players have been with them since their league one days and all, but I still think they are a somewhat ugly Burnley/Stoke style ****house team.

European football could have been a distraction for them next season, so I think they'll be fine. Keep Wilder and spend a bit of cash. 

I think Sheff Utd have disproportionately suffered just like the bottom teams from the lack of a home crowd. 

• Like 2

I think it's a bit premature to say they've been found out - although you could say as a promoted team they may lack a little strength in depth compared to more established Premiership sides. Besides, we're playing in a very unusually truncated season with little time to recover between games just to get the season to a close, so it's not completely representative of a typical Premiership season.

I suspect the more likely conclusion was that it was a somewhat tired performance. They don't need to radically overhaul their squad, just two or three judicious acquisitions so that they don't throw out the baby with the bathwater regarding how their team functions. They will need a new goalkeeper though, I would be surprised if Henderson stays for another season, and he has been a very big player on loan for them. That decision is the make-or-break one, I think.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Still one of my favourites to go down next season 

Really, why's that?

They have a very stable defence, play a good style of football, have a manager who seems to be able to bring the best out of their players and who has created a great work ethic and harmony withinthe squad - and some money behind them to boot!

I can't see all of that unravelling next season, but I think they'll do really well to place as highly as this year once again.

Hmmm. Well they'll finish somewhere between 8th and 10th. I wouldn't exactly call that being 'found out'. 'Found out' is finishing bottom and losing your last ten games.*

*OK, this may end up being nine games**, in which case will we have found out Man City?

** It won't be nine games...

Well i would swap places, they have had a stonking season, survive that first season up and your chances of surviving the next grow too. Usually 2 of the promoted clubs go down so they have a good chance of staying up. All this post lockdown footy has been weird nothing like normal i would not read too much into it

I keep saying, Sheffield United are the latest iteration of 'The Championship side with a new system no one can quite work out yet'.

Like Swansea and Stoke before them, it takes a little time for the top level sides to solve the problems they pose and then the rest copy and paste.

• Like 1

We were found out last season by any team who decided to high press. 

Edited by Jerrykerry
  • Like 1

Next season will be very interesting for them to see if they avoid that second season syndrome that most clubs suffer. 

9 hours ago, hogesar said:

Take Wilder over Herr Farke any day of the week. Remind me of our recent record would you please in case I missed that blizzard of awful statistics? 

21 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Take Wilder over Herr Farke any day of the week. Remind me of our recent record would you please in case I missed that blizzard of awful statistics? 

What's that got to do with anything I said?

Mick McCarthy was talking about Jack Charlton today on the morning news. In essence Charlton's team were not necessarily the best players, but the players who would fit into the system. McCarthy acknowledged that he was not one of the best players available but Jack picked him.
The could be the basis of Sheffield Utd success as they have come through the leagues. Wilder seems a pragmatic manager.

Is the part of our problem the insistence on playing a system which over 90 mins breaks down, time and time again through all aspects of ill discipline, poor technique, lack of physicality and over reliance on forwards who lost their form. Or simply asking a player to take on a role that is above their capabilities for 90 minutes.
Sometimes KISS.

2 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

If Sheff Utd keep Henderson and replace some of the older players like Sharp then they'll be fine. 

If they don't keep Henderson they will struggle bug time. It will be very hard for them to find a keeper of similar quality within their budget...

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

You would have taken Wilder over Farke at the end of last season?

5 minutes ago, Ian said:

You would have taken Wilder over Farke at the end of last season?

Yes - because the signs were there even then of Farke being unable to improve the side defensively and an obsession with a 'one size fits all' mentality of playing. Of course that season was wonderful but it was clear as day follows night that Farke had to step up (as did the whole club). He didn't. He wasn't helped I agree with the woeful recruitment and the consistent injuries to center halves but he must carry much of the can for this absolute shambles of a restart. He would be gone at any other club. 

Having said all that, it will be very interesting to see how he sets the team up in a few weeks time. IF (damn big 'IF') he decides to 'mix up the style' and go a bit more direct to vary the approach and stop this obsession with knocking the ball about in our own penalty area and even six yard box sometimes (!)AND get a striker in who can actually head the ball (now there's a novel tactic!) then I think there is a good chance he can take us back up subject to the calibre of the recruits.  

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

I think Sheff Utd have disproportionately suffered just like the bottom teams from the lack of a home crowd. 

Agree with this. The gap in quality is really substantial between the top teams and the rest but the crowd does make a difference. It is all a bit cliched but when the team is struggling the energy and noise from the crowd does help to pick them up again.

Could be a really difficult year if crowds aren't back until the second half of the season . 

11 hours ago, hogesar said:

Who are your other favourites then hoggy taking into consideration of course that there are two clubs still to get promoted out of the Championship ?

12 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Who are your other favourites then hoggy taking into consideration of course that there are two clubs still to get promoted out of the Championship ?

Have a feeling Brighton will really struggle next season and then I guess one of the promoted clubs. As always it'll be a bunch of 8 or 10 clubs in the mix.

Seems to me they invested a sensible amount of money in strengthening their squad resulting in a very commendable finishing position allowing them again to strenghten next season, and no reason to see an exodus of their best players as we surely will.

It is a real shame that a reasonable question about another football team has to be turned into a criticism of Norwich City, it is not as if that subject has not been done to death on this forum is it. It is a good question and we should be able to have a reasonable discussion/debate about the subject in hand. They have had a cracking season, I do not know if they have been found out, results since the restart have not been as good, although they have beaten Spurs and Chelsea, for me it is a combination of things, the restart put a huge brake on their momentum, a lack of a crowd for home games has had an effect on them and with the games coming thick and fast the lack of strength in depth compared to other teams have had an effect. Personally I hope that they have another decent season, and i think it will be a blessing in disguise not to have the distraction of the Europa League. I think they will freshen their squad up and be fine...........

26 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

It is a real shame that a reasonable question about another football team has to be turned into a criticism of Norwich City, it is not as if that subject has not been done to death on this forum is it. It is a good question and we should be able to have a reasonable discussion/debate about the subject in hand. They have had a cracking season, I do not know if they have been found out, results since the restart have not been as good, although they have beaten Spurs and Chelsea, for me it is a combination of things, the restart put a huge brake on their momentum, a lack of a crowd for home games has had an effect on them and with the games coming thick and fast the lack of strength in depth compared to other teams have had an effect. Personally I hope that they have another decent season, and i think it will be a blessing in disguise not to have the distraction of the Europa League. I think they will freshen their squad up and be fine...........

I think it is in part because Sheffield United have come to be seen as the anti us.

Last season it was about styles- we were the slick passing side, tearing teams apart with the fancy foreign coach, while Sheffield were the more workmanlike (but still excellent) side who favoured crosses into the big man and physical football under a gruff, British manager.

This season they are the example to be held up when it comes to successfully adapting/stepping up to a new level, reasonable investment and the merits of being a bit more physical.

So any post about them is bound to draw comparisons, just as it did last season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it is in part because Sheffield United have come to be seen as the anti us.

Last season it was about styles- we were the slick passing side, tearing teams apart with the fancy foreign coach, while Sheffield were the more workmanlike (but still excellent) side who favoured crosses into the big man and physical football under a gruff, British manager.

This season they are the example to be held up when it comes to successfully adapting/stepping up to a new level, reasonable investment and the merits of being a bit more physical.

So any post about them is bound to draw comparisons, just as it did last season. 

I agree with what you are saying, but it is still a shame that it has to go that way, it really does spoil this forum. I could understand if there were no other posts available for posters to express their opinions on how rubbish Norwich City are without hijacking other threads with the same opinion and of course they do not express an opinion in respect of the subject matter either.........