Sign in to follow this  
hps2031a

Why no Defenders

1 minute ago, Number9 said:

Well written post, the propensity to concede goals from set pieces is one of our biggest challenges. 

Obviously that's slightly different to the situation you described. 

Having a 6'0 DM who is said to be good aerially is also probably helpful in that regard, compared to Tommy T

37 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Having a 6'0 DM who is said to be good aerially is also probably helpful in that regard, compared to Tommy T

Definitely, total absence of people attacking the ball and heading / kicking it away from set pieces recent seasons. 

Even Krul, who has improved his game, doesn't catch or punch away half the crosses you might wish him to. 

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

Are you saying that ours have?

I'd suggest you look at the League table first 

That’s why we are buying new ones

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We've had the same problem past few seasons, we've bought lots of players in, not many have been defensive players. 

Let's hope Jacob works out and that he isn't the only defensive player brought in this window. 

I thought Famewo was highly thought of Centre Back, at 6ft 2in, he is big enough, was in the squad for the last match.

The reason our defense is so poor, is because they're often over exposed by a lack of quality in front of them. The fact that Tettey is still far and away our best option immediately in front of them tells you exactly why we are looking at CDMs 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Discobolus said:

I thought Famewo was highly thought of Centre Back, at 6ft 2in, he is big enough, was in the squad for the last match.

He's going out on loan to Scotland

There was no semblance of a balanced squad this season is no where near enough defenders far to many midfielders, don’t expect to see anything different this season. Webber has completely lost the plot 

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

Surely you mean 'we're shipping goals for fun and we really need to improve our defence'

Apart from the fact that it's not fun.👍👍😇

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It would be factually correct to say 'we have bought one (1)

19 minutes ago, Discobolus said:

Is that back to St Mirren, 

Having said that, I can't find any confirmation anywhere - could have sworn I read somewhere he was out for next season but maybe I'm thinking of someone else

17 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Having said that, I can't find any confirmation anywhere - could have sworn I read somewhere he was out for next season but maybe I'm thinking of someone else

Famewo was at St Mirren last year and we've just sent Isak Thorvaldsson there on a season long loan, so maybe you got the two confused?

23 minutes ago, Number9 said:

It would be factually correct to say 'we have bought one (1)

It would not. Seeing as Sitti and Sorensen are Defensive Midfielders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Barcelona could offer us Messi for free tomorrow and some on here would say no thanks he’s not a defender 

Bit too old, doesn’t fit the plan.

11 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It would not. Seeing as Sitti and Sorensen are Defensive Midfielders.

Sitti is a fledgling player with just a few appearances in the French second league, perhaps one for the future, non?

Moving players on means other clubs want our cast offs or we are willing to pay off the 2 remaining years of their contract.  As we couldn't afford to pay off each of the half a dozen slackers we will be stuck with them for next 2 years.

32 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Sitti is a fledgling player with just a few appearances in the French second league, perhaps one for the future, non?

The way we work these days, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the bench

1 hour ago, Discobolus said:

There was the Belgian guy, Bushiri who has gone on loan to Belgium again,.

Think that's who I'm thinking of - thanks

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Think that's who I'm thinking of - thanks

We discussed Bushiri last week how strange that he got loaned out for the season back to Belgium top flight.

Could be he didn’t settle here and needs more time back home.

Looks a decent prospect.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Based on how hes been talked about I expect Sitti to be involved in the first team picture.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Based on how hes been talked about I expect Sitti to be involved in the first team picture.

I can't express much because I haven't seen him play. 

On the face of it, it looks odd.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Wait till you see all the posts on the Facebook groups right now...

Look at the page for the signing of Sorensen. The Internet is a wonderful invention when it comes to bringing people with shared interests together. The downside is that it is also brilliant at helping village idiots go global. We've been crying out for an athletic anchor man/defensive midfielder for ages and Sorensen looks like he could be what we need, assuming he can make the leap from the Danish league to the Championship, yet there's whinging about no defenders. Ged in the Onion Bag summed it up brilliantly - defending is not just the job of the defenders. There's a cogent argument that we've struggled partially because we've lacked balance in midfield in that technically most of our midfielders are very tidy, but there's not a great deal of physical presence there, and the ones who do have some presence aren't that aggressive or lack a yard or two of pace.

I suspect Famewo's being looked at for next season, especially now Raggett appears to be no longer be with us. Cantwell came a bit out of left-field last season and was one of our better men this time out. Farke could be looking at Famewo thinking he might have the potential to do the same, but that's merely a guess.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

I can't express much because I haven't seen him play. 

On the face of it, it looks odd.

Why odd in your opinion? He seems like a young prospect who has picked up a bit of experience at a decent level.

I've also not seen him play (can't imagine any on here really have) but you can generally get a sense of how a player is viewed by how the club talk about him. When Sitti was signed the club made a big deal (big article on the website, photoshoot, interview on Youtube, quotes from Farke, loads of tweets) which suggests they see him as someone in the first team squad.

Compare than to when we signed Charlie Gilmour from Arsenal- nothing much on social media, two paragraphs on the website, not quotes from Farke- which suggests he was seen as a youth teamer who fans wouldn't see much of in the short term. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Why odd in your opinion? He seems like a young prospect who has picked up a bit of experience at a decent level.

I've also not seen him play (can't imagine any on here really have) but you can generally get a sense of how a player is viewed by how the club talk about him. When Sitti was signed the club made a big deal (big article on the website, photoshoot, interview on Youtube, quotes from Farke, loads of tweets) which suggests they see him as someone in the first team squad.

Compare than to when we signed Charlie Gilmour from Arsenal- nothing much on social media, two paragraphs on the website, not quotes from Farke- which suggests he was seen as a youth teamer who fans wouldn't see much of in the short term. 

It seems odd because he has only played a handful of games in the French second division. 

Championship is one of the hardest, most competitive, leagues in the world and a defensive midfielder would be in the thick of it.

I would have thought a player with more experience might be suitable. Let's face it our defensive midfielders get pushed off the ball fairly regularly and do very little to shield the defence, yet we're looking at a young, less experienced player from a lower League?

I've not seen him play which is why I said it looks odd on the face of it.