kick it off

Sorensen Officially signs

38 minutes ago, Indy said:

I don’t think Sitti is here to play in the youth side. So you can certainly add him to the mix.👍

Yep, I think that backs up what I was getting at, there will be comings and goings, some for the " first eleven", some will be kept as back up , some will do ok , some won't. Too many variables to simply say that if A arrives therefore B leaves.

He might be alright. He might not. I'll wait until I see him play a few times. The last few years have taught me nothing if not that trying to anticipate how good unknown foreign signings might turn out to be is a fool's errand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Grando said:

He might be alright. He might not. I'll wait until I see him play a few times. The last few years have taught me nothing if not that trying to anticipate how good unknown foreign signings might turn out to be is a fool's errand...

Yeah agreed let's wait and see.😚

10 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, I think that backs up what I was getting at, there will be comings and goings, some for the " first eleven", some will be kept as back up , some will do ok , some won't. Too many variables to simply say that if A arrives therefore B leaves.

True but I think Trybull leaving seems the most likely after Leitner.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

True but I think Trybull leaving seems the most likely after Leitner.

I think Vrancic, Trybull and Leitner are the most likely to leave - could very likely see a whole new starting midfield next season.

A Sitti, Sorensen, Sinani* trio maybe? Triple S.

*(Probably not Sinani in fairness)

Trybull is off I reckon. Anna is pregnant, she doesn't seem to like living here and he isn't getting any game time really so yeah... Probs back to a German side. 

Leitner, well, from what a lot of us have heard it seems as though he'll be off too, something may already be in place for him and probably has been for a while.

For some reason I can see Vrancic staying. Fans love him but he might be frustrated by lack of game time in the Prem. However, we've seen he can be decent for us in the championship and I think he might be a useful squad player. Then again, it isn't really fair of us to ask him to stay if he isn't going to be playing much 

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think Vrancic, Trybull and Leitner are the most likely to leave - could very likely see a whole new starting midfield next season.

I think we're clearly going to use Tettey still and McLean is very popular with Farke so he's going to be heavily involved.

Also, as I keep banging on about, we need to get a few of these international players off the books this summer and those three you mention sound the most likely.

Big question is do we sign another number 10 type player now Duda is gone or do we use Steipermann/McLean/Cantwell (if he stays) in that role.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think we're clearly going to use Tettey still and McLean is very popular with Farke so he's going to be heavily involved.

Also, as I keep banging on about, we need to get a few of these international players off the books this summer and those three you mention sound the most likely.

Big question is do we sign another number 10 type player now Duda is gone or do we use Steipermann/McLean/Cantwell (if he stays) in that role.

I'd stick Stiepi back in there - has his faults but he does a job in the champs of carrying the ball, running at defenders and has the odd goal in him too

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I know it's early days in this window, but that foreign player bias does look to be a problem. Take a look in the 'Contract conundrums...' thread, and you'll see how light we are on homegrown players, especially considering that our four young British talents may all be in the shop window this summer.

The four players we've signed so far (Sitti, Sorensen, Sinani, Soto) are all foreign players, plus Placheta if he signs. Even if we do shift out Leitner, Vrancic and Trybull, we're still no better off in terms of meeting the criteria. Even if, say, three of Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell stay, as things stand we're still only an injury or two away from having to load the bench with Academy products to meet the quota.

Farke's record with 'buying British' has been a little chequered. On the one hand, we have Kenny (dependable at Championship level), Byram (a great acquisition if he can stay fit), McCallum (brilliant signing on paper), Rhodes and Reed were decent loans, and Hanley is quality at Championship level (but even with Hanley, there was a suspicion that he was something of a 'panic buy' that was rushed through to add some grit into a rather leaky-looking defence). On the flipside, we have Ben Marshall, James Husband, Marley Watkins, Sean Raggett, Patrick Roberts, and Marcus Edwards.

Additionally, does anyone know whether the quota of homegrown players will be revised in light of extra substitutions and larger squads? Has the EFL confirmed that five subs will be allowed next season, and, if so, whether we will have seven or nine substitutes to choose from?

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I’d definitely like to see a new number 10 come in, someone who is more attacking than McLean.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stiepermann is also someone who leaves - but he is probably not high on the list to move on. Norwich were looking for a 10 all last season, and with more emphasis on them to be the aggressors in the Championship I feel that will a priority. 

What Sitti and Sorensen bring that is currently lacking could be a more mobility in midfield. How good Sitti actually is, is the thing I really wonder about. Reports from France aren’t the most complementary about him at times (but there were also a lot of Kante critics before he moved to Leicester). 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I’d definitely like to see a new number 10 come in, someone who is more attacking than McLean.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stiepermann is also someone who leaves - but he is probably not high on the list to move on. Norwich were looking for a 10 all last season, and with more emphasis on them to be the aggressors in the Championship I feel that will a priority. 

What Sitti and Sorensen bring that is currently lacking could be a more mobility in midfield. How good Sitti actually is, is the thing I really wonder about. Reports from France aren’t the most complementary about him at times (but there were also a lot of Kante critics before he moved to Leicester). 

BETHNAL EXCLUSIVE: CITY SIGN THE NEW KANTÉ

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I'd stick Stiepi back in there - has his faults but he does a job in the champs of carrying the ball, running at defenders and has the odd goal in him too

I think he's a decent option but he's very much shown he can't make the step up. So if we spot a player we reckon has the potential to to do that we should go for it.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think he's a decent option but he's very much shown he can't make the step up. So if we spot a player we reckon has the potential to to do that we should go for it.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be pushing Stipermann out the door but he definitely falls into the category Webber was talking about with players who can’t step up. He’ll be 30 next season so trying to shift him in a years time could be much harder. I like that he is something different to the normal attacking midfielder though and his through balls to Pukki were a big part of Norwich’s success in the Championship. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

BETHNAL EXCLUSIVE: CITY SIGN THE NEW KANTÉ

😂

Personally I hope next season I and all other supporters are hopefully allowed to watch our home games and our new squad additions whilst seated in our Stadium plastic pews... (fortunately mine's a padded plastic pew I may add, which gives me piles of comfort)....

I really cannot witness a new season in a soulless stadium from a big screen TV - whilst I'm sat on a living room settee....

The pre-match pint and stroll to the ground....the atmospheric highs and lows of the game....Then off to the pub with my mates....to debate, celebrate or drown our sorrows.....I really do miss it.....

Anyway, hopes dreams and wishes apart, Sorensen looks a good prospective addition....

It worries me that we've signed someone who's nickname is "Lungi". Surely players Lungiing in has been our problem/

At the start of last season Farke played Pukki at no 10, behind Rhodes. It didn't go that well and our season turned around when Pukki went up front, but maybe that could be an option.

I have no idea of Sorensen's quality, but from what has been said he appears to be good both on and off the ball. I wonder if he could play as a lone DM, allowing Farke to play a 4-3-3 like he tried when he first came here. Tettey and Trybull are both good, but it always felt like they needed someone alongside them.

2 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

It worries me that we've signed someone who's nickname is "Lungi". Surely players Lungiing in has been our problem/

At the start of last season Farke played Pukki at no 10, behind Rhodes. It didn't go that well and our season turned around when Pukki went up front, but maybe that could be an option.

Cheri Lungi was a very good manager(ess) I'll have you know.

19 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And perhaps Charlie Gilmour.

I think Gilmour is the under the radar player who could feature more than expected next season. He looks to fit the more physical/athletic profile and I think had a reasonably good “Cantwell” style loan in Holland this season where he had a few injuries but also played a decent number of games as a holding midfielder.

i think he will be in Farke and Webber’s thoughts for next season. 

8 hours ago, king canary said:

I think that’s the sort of role Sinani may play. He’s not an out and put forward or holding midfielder and not your typical wide player either from what I’ve seen. Of course he may not be any good but if he is then I’d expect him to be challenging for one of the three AM spots behind the striker. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think Gilmour is the under the radar player who could feature more than expected next season. He looks to fit the more physical/athletic profile and I think had a reasonably good “Cantwell” style loan in Holland this season where he had a few injuries but also played a decent number of games as a holding midfielder.

And he is English, so useful for whatever the quota is.

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And he is English, so useful for whatever the quota is.

Scottish but I think still home grown!

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Scottish but I think still home grown!

City1st had better not see your post and Bethnal's, otherwise he will be convinced you're one and the same...

22 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Gosh you have a long memory

if he was any good , do you think he would be signing for Norwich , how many of them played for Norwich as they were top drawer players 

One of them actually did play for Norwich. 

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think indeed he may have a chance of the first team squad. He tended not to be subbed much either in his games at Telstar. A good sign.

I forgot about Simon Power too. He has a decent spell at Lynn though of course they may want him back (having seen Mair go there for the season on loan).

It's great that Lynn have got to the 'Conference' proper because it will provide a decent level of opposition most weeks. And in Culverhouse too they have a very experienced coach. I read yesterday they had tied up a partnership with the local school 18/19 year olds, hoping to emulate our kind of development of youth players.

8 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Given that we allegedly got the majority of our players out of the bargain bin, I would have thought that most of them would be better paid with us us even in the Championship. Will there be lots of clubs shopping for Norwich castoffs who are prepared to match their existing wages? Not sure I can see it.

8 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Yeah, I wouldn’t be pushing Stipermann out the door but he definitely falls into the category Webber was talking about with players who can’t step up. He’ll be 30 next season so trying to shift him in a years time could be much harder. I like that he is something different to the normal attacking midfielder though and his through balls to Pukki were a big part of Norwich’s success in the Championship. 

I'm wondering if Sinani has been brought in to play at number 10 as a possible successor to Steipermann? What do you think?

Edited by Bonzo